The Starting Point

Moon Meets Horizon


It was four o’clock in the morning and Yoona was still lying on the ground of an abandoned building’s rooftop. She was still looking at the dark sky waiting it to fade into a light one. The cold breeze of air was slowly decreasing, giving a message that the sun would about to rise sooner.

The sun will meet the horizon again. Yoona raised her hand, making an illusion of her fingers touching the moon on the sky.

     “I wonder how strong the moon is.” –she said before putting down her hands.

She spent most of her life living alone- staying away from the people as much as possible. For her, being alone was the safest place to protect herself from any unexpected circumstances that might occur.

Yoona you should take a rest. She placed her hands on her tummy and she closed her eyes to force herself to sleep.

On the other hand, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were sitting at the edge of a cliff while holding a cup of coffee on their hands. Both of them were getting used with the coldness of the wind, letting the wind to ruffle their messed hair.

“Are you still thinking of that kiss... ahem I mean the girl who kissed you?” –Chanyeol tried to brighten up the plain mood lingering.

                Baekhyun smiled as he took a sip on his drink. “I know it’s so stupid to hear but I cannot remember her face. All I remember was the feelings and of course, her lips.” –he replied.

Chanyeol laughed before elbowing his friend’s arm. “So you remember her, emotionally. Hm. Do you want to find her? And meet her? Do you? I can be a help.”

                Baekhyun frowned a bit and he shook his head. “Nah. I will let the fate do the work. It’s better off like this than chasing someone who isn’t meant for you, right?” –he answered back before putting down the cup of coffee in the space provided between them.

“That’s the reason why you never learn something. You are not willing to take any risk. “ –Chanyeol argued.

                Baekhyun scoffed with a smile and he looked at the scenery downwards, which was the sea. “Taking risks are the chances wherein you’re not sure if your choice will work or not.” –he said.

“Pfft! Just say you are lazy. Aish.” –Chanyeol argued.

                Baekhyun couldn’t help himself but to burst into laughter. “You already know what I will gonna say.” –he uttered in between his belly laughter.

Chanyeol shook his head in a dismayed manner before finishing his drink. Once again, silence took over the place. Baekhyun swung his feet being suspended on air and he looked down to view the calm sea.

                “You know what; I have this interest to jump off a very high cliff without any equipage.” –Baekhyun uttered out of the blue.

Chanyeol looked at him and punched Baekhyun’s arm lightly. “That’s insane. Let’s just go now.” –he said before standing up. 

Baekhyun ignored his friend and stayed looking at the bottom instead. Suddenly, he looked up into the sky to check if the moon was still visible.

“Baekhyun! Let’s go! You know Sehun hates tardy people. Come on up here in the truck.” –Chanyeol yelled to halt Baekhyun from being sentimental and emotional again.

For Chanyeol, people shouldn’t lay too much affection on things for it might only backstab your path towards success. Although he was living in this kind of principle, he couldn’t share this to his friend because both of them carried different perspectives in life and he didn’t like to ruin their friendship just by imposing his beliefs.

....

Sunrise emerged by six o’clock in the morning.

The temperature was still cold and the crickets hummed so aloud that revived Yoona from sleeping. She startled as the coldness of the ground crawled along her spine. She woke up in a daze; still half awake, half asleep.

Yoona looked at her left and she saw birds pecking something on the ground. Looking at her right, her eyes witnessed how the sun met the horizon. Without any definite reason, she curved the corner of her lips upward forming a bright smile.

     “Much enough and better to live the day for today Yoona. ” –she talked to herself before she stood up.

Every day, Yoona spent her morning looking at the status of the main road by sitting at the edge of the rooftop. It was part of her routine to watch the road every day.

Huh? That guy is somewhat familiar to me. Yoona talked through her mind as she saw two men in front of the building. She swung her feet while looking downward to watch their odd actions.

In front of a building..

Baekhyun was walking back and forth while Chanyeol was leaning against the main door of the building.

“Baekhyun please stop! You’re making me dizzy.” – Chanyeol complained while frowning at him.

                “Then stop watching me.” –Baekhyun replied and still walking nervously.

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows and he grabbed Baekhyun’s arm to stop him forcefully. “How can I ignore you if you are walking in front of me? Come on dude. Don’t be nervous. It’s as if you are new on this kind of thing.” –he uttered with a little annoyance on his voice.

Baekhyun was about to respond when a man wearing a mailman attire stopped in front of them. This man was named as Tao Huang.

“Oh hey!” –Baekhyun shifted his gaze towards the new face.

Tao looked around to check if someone was following him then he quickly pulled out a half-size brown envelope. “Here is the profile of the person that you are going to kill. All of the information you needed are being enclosed in that envelope. Boss wanted Baekhyun to do the killing alone while he wants Chanyeol to meet Sehun all by himself. Got it guys? ” –he said.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun widely opened their eyes as Tao announced the changes on the rules. He didn’t take much time and he quickly walked away after giving the envelop.

Meanwhile at the rooftop..

Yoona pinned her eyes at Tao as he left Baekhyun and Chanyeol behind. She didn’t spend too much time and she switched back her sight at Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

     “I have a weird feeling on this. I wonder what they are really into, hm.” –she talked to herself while watching them.

What the- Yoona gasped and widened her eyes when she saw Chanyeol passing a dagger towards Baekhyun. I knew it! Darn!

Yoona immediately crawled to stand up and she ran towards the door hastily.
She ran so fast like there’s no tomorrow; like it’s her last chance to be on that situation.

Since the elevator didn’t work for several years, Yoona decided to take downstairs. Her feet kept running and running until the feet almost declared its stress point. The pain on her weak knees didn’t serve as a stopper; rather it served as her motivation to keep going.

I don’t know why I am running to catch them but there is one thing I am certain of, something is wrong and I feel like I am involved on it...so I should stop them...even if we are both strangers to each other. I don’t care. Yoona kept talking through her mind while running down the stairs hastily.  Her left hand kept sliding along the railings to support her body and to maintain balance.

Reaching the ground floor, she stopped for a while to catch her breath while looking at the opened door. Her muscles started to ache as she stopped running from the staircase. At that time, she saw Chanyeol hopping inside the truck –leaving Baekhyun alone.

Yoona frowned when she saw Baekhyun. I am really sure that I already met this man, but where? when? and how?

She began to walk while looking at him; not even missing a single second to see his body build as she walked closer... and closer.

And closer again...

Baekhyun looked at his right and he started to jog his feet away from the building while Yoona was almost at the door. He was not aware that Yoona was secretly tailing behind him. At that point of time, Baekhyun’s heart was racing so fast because it’s his first time to kill someone, alone.

Due to the uncomfortable feeling that’s being inflicted on his heart, Baekhyun felt his hands shaking.

That’s the time he hid his hands on the pocket of his jacket; shoving it inside to tame his scared hands.
He also pulled out his hoodie to conceal his face; covering the shame and fear it brought onto him.

Until he stopped walking in front of a big gate, revealing a huge institution inside . This was the entry gate of a well-known academy. Students kept passing through the opened gate while doing their own stuffs; some were gossiping, some were reading their notes; some were listening to music, etc. Meanwhile, Yoona was watching from afar. She kept watching every move that Baekhyun expressed.

Out of the blue, a student named Luhan treaded inside the gate and this gave a snap on Baekhyun’s eyes. It seems like he already found his target. He didn’t take much time standing and he quickly followed him behind without even checking his surroundings if someone were watching him or not.

You can do this Baekhyun. He kept motivating himself as Luhan turned left to hang at the back part of the school to inject a drug on his body. This act was not new to Baekhyun since he already learned Luhan’s schedule every day just by reading the profile enclosed inside the envelope.

Luhan was almost halfway approaching the tree when Baekhyun snuck out the dagger from his pocket. He was about to grab the boy’s neck when Yoona barged in through yelling at the boy.

“Hey student!” –she yelled in a dominant voice before running towards Luhan.

Baekhyun frowned and quickly hid the dagger back on his pocket while looking at Yoona saving the life of the boy.

                “Yes? Who are you?” –Luhan asked.

“There’s no point of knowing me. Come upstairs the office because the principal wants to see you now. Go.” –she replied while pushing Luhan’s shoulder away from Baekhyun.

                “Eh? O-okay.” –Luhan uttered in a confused tone before completely walking away.

Baekhyun shook his head in a dismayed manner. He curled up his eyebrow while looking at Yoona blankly.
“And who the hell are you to in here?” – he asked aggressively.

                Yoona turned back to face him and she crossed her arms. “And who the hell are you to kill someone’s life here? In school?” –she replied through a question as well.

 

xxx