Not According to Plan

Thieves Before the Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 10 – Not According to Plan~

            Myungsoo was never really one to interact well with new people. Usually he came off as cold, scary, or unapproachable to people that he just met but this apparently wasn't the case with Sungjong. It surprised Myungsoo how the younger wasn't intimidated in any way around him, especially when they first met, Myungsoo never thought the fragile looking flower boy actually had a backbone and snappish tongue.

            It is true that their first meeting left a horrible impression on one another leaving Myungsoo to find Sungjong nothing but annoying and a complete eye sore but he did have to admit Sungjong had a very great skill that was without a doubt useful for the team what he didn’t expect though was to have him assigned as his partner on assignments. Myungsoo hates the feeling of being restrained and having a partner seemed like it would do nothing but keep him back but surprisingly enough Sungjong proved him wrong.

            Myungsoo isn't sure when this all started maybe it happened since their first assignment when Sungjong proved his skills or maybe it was when they went to meet W. Im or it could have been during all the times that they bonded together without even knowing it. But slowly Myungsoo's thoughts have been filling up with nothing but things about Sungjong and it makes him feel odd, he's experiencing a different sensation that makes him slightly confused and slightly concerned.

            He's currently at his flat for the day lounging on his sofa, it's actually his day off again and Myungsoo finds that there's nothing for him to do. He's actually slightly bored as he scrolls through his phone to check for any work related emails but he finds none. With a sigh he places his phone back down and considers turning his TV on to pass time but then he realizes that there's nothing to watch. Sunggyu and Woohyun went to go meet with W. Im today and told everyone to go on with their normal lives as per usual unless they call. Sungyeol is busy preparing any type of software he might need with him on their assignment. Hoya and Dongwoo are working today. Everyone was busy but there was still Sungjong who Myungsoo hadn't inquired about yet.

            'Is fluff ball free today?' thought Myungsoo curiously but he shakes his head, 'Why in the heck would I want to spend another day with him?' Myungsoo flops sideways on his sofa with a huff of annoyance 'We'd end up arguing the day away and raising our blood pressure from getting on each others' nerves.'

            Myungsoo is pretty much ready to give up and nap the day away however his mind has other plans as the memory of Sungjong hugging him makes a rather abrupt entrance to the forefront of his consciousness causing him to bury his face into one of the couch cushions with a groan. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid, why did I do all that and bother to say that to him ugh. Why did Sungjong even hug me so randomly!? Such a weird fluff ball… But he was really warm…' Myungsoo catches himself thinking about the other boy yet again, and he decides to throw the cushion aside and sit upright on his couch to collect himself. 'No more thinking about the fluff ball. This is a day that I can spend freely, doing things unrelated to work. What should I do...'

            In spite of his initial reluctance to engage in any work-related activities, Myungsoo ends up using his phone to search up the Jewel of Destiny on the Internet. Although Sunggyu had already provided a basic background on the artifact, a bit more information about the jewel couldn't possibly do any harm. He reads several articles and reviews about the Jewel of Destiny, but other than a few interesting facts here and there, he doesn't learn anything relevant. 'What a waste of time.' Just as he's about to close the application, something catches his eye, the official page for the Seoul Museum's Fiftieth Anniversary Showcase.

            It was under construction for a while but it appears to have been finally published recently. Myungsoo immediately visits the page, tapping on the link leading to it, and a few more taps later, he finds himself viewing the showcase schedule. There's nothing new really, but Myungsoo notices how the Jewel of Destiny is scheduled to be put on display near the end of the showcase. Although the jewel is the museum's headlining display for its fiftieth anniversary, there are of course, several other artifacts that have earned their own place in the special exhibit. 'Maybe we can do something with this...to work around the showcase guests...an attention diversion, perhaps? Or a decoy - '

            Myungsoo's train of thought comes to a harsh halt when his phone suddenly begins to ring in his hands. He raises his brow at the sight of the caller ID - it is Sunggyu's number, and the leader said he wouldn't call unless it was necessary. Myungsoo answers the call right away, bringing his phone up to his ear.

            "What is it?"

            "Wow, you answered pretty quickly, especially compared to the others. Not doing much at the moment, I assume?" Instead of Sunggyu speaking, it is Woohyun, and he teases the boy on the other line. Before Myungsoo can make a disparaging reply, Woohyun advances to what he had originally called Myungsoo for; "I need you to come to W.Im's mansion for a meeting. We're going to discuss a few things... We may have discovered something potentially compromising for our mission. I'll have Sungyeol send you the address through a secure server, so check your laptop in a bit for that. Since you and Sungjong are free right now, you two should come to the mansion together, as soon as you can. I'll see you then."

            Myungsoo isn't able to get a single word in, and Woohyun abruptly ends the call. He runs a hand through his hair in frustration, wondering what could have possibly gone wrong in their mission. In the meantime, he also retrieves his laptop from his bedroom and turns it on. As soon as the device finishes loading up, a pop-up window appears in the middle of the screen, which is the address sent by Sungyeol. Myungsoo reads the message, and just as he expects, W.Im lives in the wealthiest district in the area. 'Wait, if Sunggyu and Woohyun have the car then...how are we supposed to get there?' Myungsoo sighs as he realizes what he's going to have to do.

 

            A silver taxi eases its way down a familiar road to which Myungsoo recognizes as the street where Sungjong lives. He looks up at the rearview mirror, catching the driver staring at him. However, he doesn't seem threatening, so Myungsoo assumes that the man is merely curious about him.

            "We're going to pick up another person at this location. I'll pay for their fare too. Then all you have to do is drop us off in front of the Romeo coffee shop in Gangnam." Myungsoo tells the taxi driver, a gaunt but friendly-faced man who simply nods at the young man's instructions. Then he fishes his phone out to call Sungjong to the taxi. "Hey, I'm in front of your house, in the silver taxi. Hurry up and come out... I will rush you,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter