The Girl at the Funeral House

Teen Top C.A.P Oneshot and Short Story Compilation

 

Despite the leather jacket I chose to wear tonight, I can still feel the wind beating against me as I rode fast on the highway on my motorcycle.  I like speed. Oh no, wait, that’s an understatement. I love speed. I love racing down the highway alongside four-wheeled vehicles excites me. I’m pretty sure there are others who got bitten by this disease but I’d like to think that I was more addicted to it than them. Well, that’s me. I kinda think I’m better than others at something. And since I take pride on my driving, I’d say I’m better than anyone when it comes to this.

 

I race. Both as a hobby and professionally. People who are into fast driving will have probably known my name. They know my face, they know my sports history, and they might even be telling my history. But unlike any other racers I know, I don’t really live in their world. Okay, maybe I want to be famous. I mean, who doesn’t, right? Who doesn’t want to know that people will be excited when they see you, will be thrilled to know that you’re shopping in the same grocery store as they are, or is living in the same village as you do.

 

I like the fame. What I don’t like though, is when people started stepping on the line of my professional and personal life. Can’t they understand that people doesn’t want strangers knocking on their doors and asking to be let in? What’s worse is that they think you owe that to them. They think they have the right to invade your privacy just because they supported you on your most recent years. I’m like, really? For this reason, I equipped security locks and cameras throughout the vicinity of my house.

 

I also purchased this motorcycle because people wouldn’t think that a race car driver would swap his four wheels for a two. They should’ve known better. These two wheels can act like a beast if you know how to tune and ride them. And now, as I weave through the common night traffic in Seoul, I smiled as my bike gets passed every cars that are now lined up on the road, waiting for the light to turn green. And here we go!

 

I was pushing on a hundred and still think I’m going slow. I don’t wanna get caught by a traffic enforcer and be held up on the side of the road. Worse that could happen is my license getting confiscated. Nope. I’m not allowing that. But still, I’m overspeeding, right? Heh! The mischievous in me would like to scream, “Catch me if you can!” I smiled inside the tight helmet and was glad to have finally arrived on my destination.

 

St. Isaac Funeral Homes.

 

Is Isaac a saint? I don’t know. I didn’t really read the bible. But that’s the name of the funeral house where my uncle’s body is at right now. I received a call earlier this morning of his passing due to heart attack. Of all my uncles, he was the one with the weakest heart – always in the hospital and never lived his life without his medication. I was on my second grade when I learned about his condition but didn’t really understood the gravity of his sickness until high school. Maybe it’s a good thing that we’ve known he’s sick. His death didn’t come as devastating as, say, someone dying from an accident. You know, the last time you saw them they’re all smiles and giddy, and excited about life then the next, they’d be lying enclosed a wooden coffin. But death is still death. It’s sad.

 

I parked by bike, removed my helmet, and went in. Immediately, I saw one of my cousins. I approached for a tight hug and a quick kiss on the cheek. She’s uncle’s only daughter. It pains me to see her like this. Now both her parents are gone. Her mom died while giving birth to her. I can only imagine how broken she must be right now. I hugged her once more before she led me to the coffin to see my uncle.

 

He was lying peacefully that he doesn’t look like he nursed the sickness almost all his life. I noted that the makeup was slight and that it didn’t alter his kind face at all. Mentally, I talked to my uncle and wished that he’s resting right now. I hugged my cousin once more before excusing myself to see my mom. I saw her with dad and my two sisters sitting at the far right corner of the room. I quickly joined them and gave each a hug although I stayed for a few seconds longer with my mom. I love her so much.

 

It was midnight, I know because it’s a sick habit of me to check my watch all the time. I don’t know why I do this but I don’t think the habit is going away soon. My family has gone back to the house but I chose to stay. That’s when I saw her. She’s a feminine female with long locks of red flowing down her rich bossom and tiny waist. I took note of her black sleeveless dress that stretches down the top of her knees. Her skin looks soft and smooth and I can’t help it. I quickly fell for her almond colored eyes, tiny nose, and pink lips.

 

She caught my eye and I think I smiled. A small one. I think I nodded my head too. I don’t know. I’m confused. But if there’s one thing I’m certain, it’s that I couldn’t take my eyes off her.  But unlike me, she looks composed. I watched her made her way to the coffin where she stayed for quite some time. I braved tearing my gaze away from her to scan the crowd. I want to see whose visitor is she so I can ask them to introduce us.

 

I know it might be a little inappropriate to make my moves in a funeral home, in my uncle’s wake, of all! But I can’t help it. I know I wouldn’t sleep tonight if I didn’t get her name.

 

Finally, she withdrew from the coffin and was walking out of the room. No! Don’t go! I almost screamed out loud. My legs moved on their own and suddenly, my right hand has lightly touched her right elbow. As I observed, her skin is so soft and at close inspection, it’s milky and smooth too! Man, I think I’m going crazy.

 

She looked at me and if she’s surprised at my sudden action, she didn’t let it show. She merely watch me and I couldn’t stop but stare at her wide eyes.

 

“Uhm…” I started. “How did you know my uncle?” That’s right, you’re doing good. I mentally pat my back for self encouragement.

 

She looked inside and onto the coffin before turning her gaze back at me. She remained silent though I wouldn’t have it. I have to know who she is.

 

“It’s just that. I don’t think I’ve seen you before. Are you perhaps, a friend of my cousin’s?” Again, that blank face. I realized I was still holding her elbow although she didn’t seem to mind.

 

“I just came to see..” She said and her voice just did something to me. Maybe I am really going crazy. I waited for anything she has to say more but she resumed to staring at me. Maybe I look like a lunatic to her but I can’t help it!

 

“So, what’s your name?” I gulped. Am I a little too straightforward? But I want to know! I want to know her! And I want her to know me too!

 

This time, she smiled, showing off her perfect pearly whites. Oh god, I think I really am going crazy. Everything about her is perfect!

 

“Good night, Minsoo. Maybe I’ll see you again tomorrow if you’re here.” She said as she walk away.

 

I was left there standing like a fool with my mouth agape as I watch her receding figure until she finally turned a corner and completely out of my sight. She knows my name? But of course! Maybe she’s a fan of racing? Oh no, maybe her boyfriend is a driver too? That thought made my blood boil. But it could also be that she heard about me from my cousin, right? Right, that must be it.

 

The following night, I was back in the funeral home. I know I’m acting like a fool because I was watching the door and looking for that one specific face. I already apologized to my uncle about this but I’m sure he’ll understand. I’m in love, okay!? Oh wait, I am? Damn right! I smiled as I acknowledge the thought.

 

It was 8pm and I’ve been here since 6 and still haven’t seen her. She said she’ll me tonight, right? Well, not that we would hang out but she did say she would be here. So where is she? Hours crept but my desire to see her didn’t falter. Not one notch.

 

When the clock struck 12mn, I saw her! I find this magical, if you ask me. It was 12 midnight last night when I saw first saw her too. And now here she comes, fading everything else around her. I can’t hear anything else nor see anything else. My senses zoomed in on her and she’s all I see as she make her way to the coffin once more. This time, I joined her.

 

“So, are you like Cinderelle?”

 

She raised her brow in question.

 

“I mean, you only show up when it’s 12 midnight.”

 

She smiled. “Maybe.”

 

“Maybe, huh?” I smiled at this. “You haven’t answered my question, though.”

 

“And that is?”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“You didn’t bother asking that the last time we saw each other.” She said, her voice even and calm.

 

“That’s not true. I asked you your name last night. You didn’t answer. Instead, you said you’d see me here tonight.”

 

She laughed. “Oh I did?”

 

“You did. And how did you know my name?” Now this is something I would love to know. Maybe I have a shot at her if she’s my fan. I smiled inwardly.

 

She faced me and again, I apologized to my uncle for setting him aside and focusing on this beauty in front of me.

 

“February 18, 2012. 12 midnight, Gwacheon Race Park.”

 

My eyes went wide upon hearing this. How did she know that? That fateful night that I wish to bury and forget? Confusion flood my brain but she remained composed and smiling. Who is this woman? How did she know that?

 

Flashback. February 18, 2012. Seoul Race Park, Gwacheon, Gyeonggi-do.

“Number 92, Bang Minsoo, is still leading the race but Number 82, Lee Min Shik is riding closely behind. Who do you think will win, partner?”

 

“Oh, the wheels are round, didn’t they say? We still got one more lap to determine the winner. Oh, look at that! Number 82 is trying to get in but as expected, 92 will never let her do that!”

 

Her? Minsoo thought as he listens to the announcer on the headpiece he’s wearing. He’s in the middle of a midnight race and though this isn’t championship, there’s no way he’d let his clean all-win record be tarnished. But he have to admit that knowing that his opponent is a female driver made piqued his interest. How many female race car drivers are there? He smiled as he blocked her once more and secure his lead.

 

It was in the final lap when it suddenly started to rain. Pre-Spring rain can really be a pain in hind and now more than ever, Minsoo is not grateful for it. It’s still a tight call between him and No. 82 when his brake suddenly faltered and he started to swerve. Just a little. But in the world of racing, a simple mishap like that could’ve caused him to lose. Thankfully, that was just for a split second and he was again in control of his car. He was speeding onto the finish line when he realized that the car, No. 82, is not chasing him anymore.

 

He smiled a victorious one when he crossed the finish line and heard the announcement that he won the match. He quickly removed his helmet, unmount his vehicle, and walked with pride.

 

They were in the middle of their celebration in a high end club nearby when they heard the news that a race car driver died during a race. It was detailed that it was in the final lap when her opponent, car No. 92, swerved which cause her who was driving the car No. 82 to steer right and avoid the collision. That’s when she started swerving further right and out of the course until her car tumble over. She was rushed to the hospital but died due to multiple concussion.

 

“Perhaps you remember No. 82? Lee Min Shik?” Her eyes turned hard and cold as she stare at me.

 

“Y-you…

 

“Yes. Me. You killed me!”

 

“N-no! I… It was an accident!” I know I am screaming but this is ridiculous! I didn’t even know what happened to her until the news.

 

“That’s right. You didn’t even know what happened to me, right? You were so into the race that you failed to notice what happened to me. You’re selfish! You’re a killer! You killed me!” The hatred in her eyes make my blood curl in fear.

 

“No! You’re not real! I didn’t kill you! It was an accident! No, I didn’t!”

 

“Oh shush now.” Her voice suddenly became gentle and she was smiling up at me. Oh god, was she beautiful! “You wanted to know me, yes? You wanted to be with me, yes? Well, I think you would be happy to know that you wouldn’t just have a shot at me.” Her smiled grew wider. “We’d be very close. Because from now on, I am your personal ghost.” She said as she lock her lips on mine then everything went black.

 

I woke up on my bed. God, what a terrifying dream! I stared at the ceiling and breathe deeply. He got up, showered, and dressed. He took his phone and dialed his manager’s number. After getting the address from him, he drove out.

 

With a bouquet of fresh flowers, Minsoo walked inside the cemetery and was glad to have easily found the specific grave he came to see here for.

 

Fear crept all over his being when he saw the picture of the girl in her dream.

 

LEE MIN SHIK
September 26, 1992 – February 18, 2012

 

Minsoo offered a short prayer before walking out of there.

 

On his way out, he caught his reflection on a polished steel frame. Although it’s not his appearance that made his eyes bulge out of their sockets but the beautiful girl in white riding on his back and smiling at him.

 

________________________________________________________________

A/N: Awoo!! Super early Halloween treat for ya’ll! Hehehehe.