Chapter 2

My Present, Her Past

 


Chapter 2

Ding dong*

Sooyoung stood up leaving her work at the table to answer whoever rang their doorbell. She was more than shock to see Yuri guiding Jessica out of the car.

“What? I don’t understand.” Sooyoung looked at both of them clueless.

“You promised that you’ll visit her again. It’s been a week.” Sooyoung finally understand.

“I’m busy.” Sooyoung tried to explain.

“Sooyoung! Hello! I’m sorry if you’re busy. I just wanted to see you. I should’ve told you that I’m coming.” Jessica cheerfully greeted. Sooyoung melted by the fact that Jessica is really in their house.

“You two have fun. Jessica, just text me if you need to go home. I’ll pick you right up. Okay?” Yuri waved at them before going inside her car.

“Ne!” Jessica excitedly said. Sooyoung immediately went to the driver’s door blocking Yuri from entering it.

“You want me to babysit her?” Sooyoung sarcastically said.

“You promised her. Do you know how much she misses you? How much she talks about you?”

“And you’re okay with that?”

“Do I have any choice?” Both fell into a staring contest as if depending one’s life into it.

“Hey, Sooyoung. If you’re not cool with it, it’s okay. I can go home.” Jessica thought Sooyoung doesn’t want her there.

“Of course not. Sooyoung is more than happy to see you.” Yuri smiled reassuringly at her. Sooyoung sighed and just let Yuri leave. She guided Jessica inside the house and let her settle on the couch.

“Anybody home?”

“It’s just me. They’re in Jeju. Vacation.” Sooyoung flatly said.

“Ooh. Must be lonely, huh?” Sooyoung shook her head.

“You know, if the old Jessica, I mean the one who doesn’t have an amnesia, was the one here, I doubt that she will be inside my house, or even bother talk to me.” Sooyoung frankly said.

“I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to be. It’s not you.” Jessica fell silent.

“Listen, I’m in the middle of something here and I need to finish this, so, would you please, stay out of my way while I work on this?” Jessica was terrified with the tone Sooyoung is using so she just nodded.

“Help yourself up, there’s some food at the fridge.” Jessica just nodded again.

While Sooyoung busies herself, Jessica explores their living room. She saw some childhood photos of Sooyoung and took some from her phone. Jessica giggled at the photo with little Sooyoung eating a barbeque. Jessica continued to roam around the room until she got bored. She looked at Sooyoung and noticed the big headset hanging around her neck.

“What is she doing?” Jessica asked herself. She argued with herself for several time until she got the courage to ask Sooyoung about what is she working on. Jessica tapped Sooyoung’s shoulder and smiled.

“What?”

“I just want to ask. What are you working on?”

“It’s a song.”

“Jinjja? I love singing, actually.” Jessica excitedly thought that they can jam some time.

“Didn’t we agreed that you won’t bother me?” Sooyoung, once again, used that tone that made Jessica flinched.

“Sorry.” Jessica mumbled while backing away.

She settled on the couch, not knowing what to do, and decided to just sleep.

***

“Jessica? Hey, wake up.” Jessica got startled on Sooyoung’s voice.

“I’m sorry, I ignored you completely. I…”

“Did you finished your song?” Jessica asked, stopping Sooyoung from explaining.

“Yeah, I did.” Sooyoung nodded.

“Can I hear it?” Jessica looked intently at her eyes.

“I’m really not a good singer.” Sooyoung rubbed the back of her neck.

“Come on. Please? I really want to hear it.” Jessica cheerfully stood up and Sooyoung smiled with that.

“Okay.” Sooyoung guided her at the table where the laptop was located. She helped Jessica wear the headset and after so, she clicked play. Sooyoung looked closely at Jessica as she listens to her song.

“It’s good.” Jessica handed the headset to Sooyoung while smiling.

“You think so?”

“Of course.” Both stare each other, until Sooyoung’s tummy growl. Jessica laughed upon hearing that.

“Dinner time!” Jessica stood up and went to kitchen.

“You know how to cook?” Sooyoung asked. Jessica closed the fridge and shook her head while smiling sheepishly.

“Okay, let’s just order up.” Sooyoung took the phone out and ordered. Jessica went back to the couch and waited until Sooyoung joins her.

“Hey, I’m really sorry about a while ago. I completely ignored you.” Sooyoung sat beside her and hung her head low.

“Forget about that. By the way, you’re a good composer, and a singer too.” Sooyoung laughed.

“Now, you’re complimenting me?” Jessica felt embarrassed about her remarks and covered her face with her hands. Sooyoung laughed out loud seeing that. She held Jessica’s hand and slowly remove it from covering her face.

“There’s no reason to do that.” They stared at each other before Sooyoung broke it.

“So, you composed for fun?” Jessica opened a topic so they could talk while they wait.

“Mainly, out of inspiration.” Sooyoung admitted.

“I write songs base upon how I feel. Or brought out of something happened to me. I also compose songs if someone asks me to do it.”

“Have you wrote something about me?” Sooyoung looked at her, completely amazed.

“You know? You keep on surprising me. You’re really different from the Jessica that I knew.”

“I’m still waiting for my answer.” Sooyoung giggled.

“Look, if I did composed something out of you, I wouldn’t tell that.” Jessica smiled.

“You just did.” She then stuck her tongue out.

“Aigoo! Jessica.” Sooyoung shook her head.

“What?”

“You know what will I ask, if the real Jessica is in here? It’ll be, why did you ignored me? Why did you stopped texting me? Did you forgot about me? How’s your life, without me pestering you? Are you happy ...?”

“Please stop.” Jessica looked hurt. Sooyoung didn’t intend to sound like that.

“I really don’t recognize you. If you were an entirely different person, I would definitely ask you out.” Sooyoung laughed at her own tactic to lighten the mood, but to no avail.

“Haven’t you had any good memories about me?” Jessica asked pleadingly.

“I was hurt by the fact that you stopped communicating after I confessed.” Sooyoung finally said it. Jessica looked at her but Sooyoung covered her face.

“Did you think that I hate you?” Jessica was close in tears.

“I assumed that you…”

“What?” Sooyoung seems to have trouble in finishing her sentence. The room fell silent until Jessica broke the ice.

“Jessica’s a jerk for ignoring someone like you.” Sooyoung laughed.

“You know, you just called yourself a jerk.” Jessica smiled.

“I think so.”

Ding dong*

“Finally, food’s here.” Sooyoung stood and went to the door. She paid for the food and carried it to the table.

“Let’s eat!”

***

Ding dong*

“I think, Yuri’s here.” Sooyoung stood and opened the door. She saw Yuri getting out of her car.

“Yep, she’s here. Ready to go?” Sooyoung and Jessica, both, got out of the house and made their way to the car. Yuri opened the door of the passenger seat. Sooyoung guided Jessica until she got inside the car.

“Thank you.” Yuri said then patted Sooyoung’s shoulder.

“No, problem.” She nodded. Yuri made her way to the driver’s seat.

“Bye.” Sooyoung smiled at Jessica. She stepped away the car when Yuri started the engine just before Jessica yelled, “Wait!” She got out of the car and went to Sooyoung. She hugged her and whispered something.

“Write something about this. About what you feel. Can you?” Sooyoung smiled and nodded, but she didn’t hugged her back, afraid that Yuri might see it.

“I will.” Jessica stepped back and returned to the car. Sooyoung waved at them and Yuri drove the car away.

***

 

                Jessica: Goodnight, Sooyoungie :)

                Sent: 11:04PM

“Aigoo.” Sooyoung sighed but the smile, brought by Jessica’s text, is still visible so, she decided to send a reply to her.

                Sooyoung: Sooyoungie? I like it. It’s late, sleep now.

Ara? Goodnight! ;)

                Sent: 11:07PM

Sooyoung got startled when she felt her phone vibrate.

                Jessica: I’ll sleep now, if you agreed to go out with me.

                Tomorrow, at 3PM. Han River. Okay?

                Sent: 11:08PM

“Is she asking me out now?” Sooyoung dumbly asked herself.

                Sooyoung: Are you asking me out now? Keke. Arraseo!

                See you tomorrow.

                Sent: 11:09PM

Sooyoung couldn’t sleep just by thinking of her, but she knows better to stay up late so, she readied herself in bed. She’s about to sleep when her phone vibrates.

                Jessica: What if I am? Yah! I’m sure you can’t sleep.

                Stop thinking about me, for a while? Keke. Arraseo?

                Let’s sleep now. Goodnight Sooyoungie ^^

                Sent: 11:14PM

“Hmm, Goodnight Sica.”

 

The next day

Sooyoung sat at a bench provided near the Han River. She enjoyed admiring the view until she got startled when a pair of hands covered her vision.

“Guess who?” Jessica tried to imitate someone’s voice in attempt to fool Sooyoung, but Sooyoung doesn’t buy it.

“Come on, you have to do better than that.” Both laughed.

“Thank you.” Jessica genuinely smiled at her.

“Why?”

“Because you’re here.” Jessica sat beside Sooyoung.

“You asked me.” Jessica looked at her.

“You supposed to say, “Of course, I’m always here.” Or “Hey, you can always count on me.” Geez, you really have to be right all the time, huh?” Jessica pouted while Sooyoung laughed.

“I would say that, maybe two years ago. Or if I’m flirting.” Sooyoung jokingly said.

“Yah!” The both ended up staring at each other. Sooyoung couldn’t take it and retrieved.

“Do you wanna walk around?” Jessica nodded and they both stood up. They started walking, enjoying the view.

“So, Jessica, when will you get back to school?” Jessica stopped.

“I haven’t thought about it, honestly.”

“Do you even remember what year are you? Or what course are taking up?” Sooyoung carefully watched Jessica as she tries to remember.

“You’re in your 4th year of some business course. Sorry, I wasn’t really paying attention when you talked about your course years ago.” Jessica looked at Sooyoung terrified.

“I don’t remember. I’m a 4th year student already?”

“Yeah. You’ll graduate in a few months now. Congratulations!” Sooyoung cheered but immediately fell silent when she saw Jessica was lost.

“Ottoke?” Jessica was frantic. She doesn’t know what to do if she did go back to school soon. She found another bench and she sat on it.

“You okay?” Sooyoung sat beside her and comforted her. Jessica shook her head.

“Hey, it’s gonna be okay. Listen to me. You know what I liked about you?” Sooyoung looked intently at her but Jessica doesn’t budge.

“It’s how you talk about insignificant stuff that will eventually make sense to me.” Sooyoung closed her eyes and sat straight feeling the backrest behind her.

“It’s how you explain things that I find so fascinating about. You played with words so well, I’d like to hear more from you. You taught me the real essence of life. And that’s why I can’t get enough of you.” Jessica slowly looked at Sooyoung, but her eyes are still closed. Sooyoung was in her deep thought, and she realized that she’s being blunt. No doubt, she’s confessing again. The only difference is that, it’s a different Jessica she’s confessing to. Sooyoung, eventually, get the grip of the conversation and tries to divert it to something else.

“You’ll be fine. I can guarantee you that.” Sooyoung smiled and stood up.

“Kaja! Let’s get something to eat.” Jessica secretly smiled and later joined the latter.

***

After eating, Sooyoung decided to take Jessica home as it was getting late. Jessica insisted that she’s fine and planned to call a cab but Sooyoung was determined to spend more time with her, so she offered to walk. Sooyoung suddenly felt shy and couldn’t talk but she wasn’t masking it all well. Jessica noticed this and giggled.

“What?” Sooyoung curiously asked.

“You’re funny.” Jessica laughed even more.

“Yah!” Sooyoung felt something that she can’t explain upon hearing Jessica’s laugh. Then it hits her. “I won’t take advantage of her.” She knows that Yuri owns her, and that made Sooyoung felt awful. She sighed and regretted every second that came to pass.

“What’s wrong?” Jessica sounded so concerned and Sooyoung felt even more awful.

 “Let’s just get you home.”

The whole trip to Jessica’s home was nothing but silence. Jessica was puzzled about Sooyoung’s behavior. One minute, she was gagging around, another minute, she couldn’t stop sighing. This bothers Jessica and she knows she have to deal with it sooner.

They both reached Jessica’s house and Sooyoung bid her goodbye to her.

“What’s wrong with?” Jessica was furious as she faced Sooyoung.

“Nothing.”

“Did I say something wrong?” Jessica held Sooyoung’s face with both of her hands. Sooyoung shook her head, she got Jessica’s hand and slowly returned it to her sides. She bent down and looked Jessica straight in her eyes.

“You belong to Yuri. She loves you, and I’m sure if your memories came back, you’ll definitely agree.” Jessica shook her head repeatedly.

“It’s the truth.” Jessica’s tears began to fall freely in her cheeks, but Sooyoung ignored it.

“I can’t see you anymore. I shouldn’t supposed to do that, especially if you belong to someone else.”

“No. No. No.” Jessica tries to hold Sooyoung’s hands but she shook her head.

“I’m not the one. I’m not the one who’s supposed to spend time with you, to cheer you up whenever you feel down, to wipe those tears whenever you cry.” Sooyoung just watched as Jessica cry even more.

“Jessica, wake up! Don’t you see?! You’re not her! You’re not the real Jessica! You don’t have the right to decide on what you should do about yourself, especially when you’re relying on that insufficient memory of yours. It’s not fair for everyone.” Sooyoung knew she’s already hurting her but that should be done.

“Don’t see me.”

“Don’t call me.”

“Don’t even bother to talk to me.” Sooyoung slowly stepped back.

“Get inside. You shouldn’t be out here outside.” And by that, Sooyoung ran away and never looked back.


Author's note: I just want to thank all my readers, subscribers, and upvoters who really look forward to this story. I really appreciate it and I hope you enjoyed every second reading it. Thank you for your support. Next chapter will be the last one. :)

You can also check out my twitter account. Feel free to follow me, and I will follow you back.

Peace! XD