Chapter 1

My Present, Her Past

 


Chapter 1

 

“Mom, come on. Let’s get something to eat.”

“You go first, Krystal. I’ll stay here.”

“Mom, she’s fine now. She won’t go anywhere, get up. Let’s get something to eat.” Mrs. Jung sighed and stood up, kissed her older daughter’s forehead, and joined Krystal outside to get something to eat.

“I’m just happy that she’s alive.” Mrs. Jung uttered and looked at her daughter.

“I’m happy, too, Mom. Well, it’s Jessica unnie! She’s as strong as Dad’s horse.” Mrs. Jung giggled at her daughter’s remarks.

“That’s one way of describing your sister.”

“Yah! That’s a good metaphor.” Krystal protested.

“You used the word “as” so it’s Simile. Seriously, now I know why you failed your English test last month.” Mrs. Jung smiled teasingly at Krystal.

“Mom!”

“Kaja! Let’s get something to eat before your sister gets her conscious back.”

 

***

Mrs. Jung and Krystal came back from the hospital’s cafeteria only to find several nurses inside and out of Jessica’s room.

“What’s happening here?!” Mrs. Jung asked partly, hysterical, because she’s confused about what is happening inside the room and partly worried, because she thought something happened to Jessica.

“Your daughter is out of control.” One of the nurse said. Mrs. Jung went beside her daughter and asked what she needs.

“I need my cellphone, I have to text her.” Jessica sounded so urgent.

“Text who? Dear” Mrs. Jung asked calmly while rubbing Jessica’s back.

“My friend.”

“Oh, I’m sure they can wait.”

“No! You don’t understand. I need to text her now. N.O.W. Now!”

“Jessica Jung Sooyeon, don’t you dare use that tone to your mother. Now, you can text that friend of yours later, after you eat. Krystal, bring her food here.” Krystal hurriedly bring the plate at the table beside Jessica’s bed and giggled.

“Regret that you shout like that when Mom’s here, huh?” Krystal stuck her tongue out at Jessica.

“Whatever.” Jessica picked her food up and started to eat.

“Oh, Jess, I’m so happy that you’re alive. You don’t know how much I thought about you, when you are still unconscious. You’re so brave, you know that?” Mrs. Jung caressed her daughter’s thigh and smile lovingly at her.

“Why am I even doing here? What happened?”

“Oh dear, last Thursday, Christmas day, you were coming home late, and a drunk driver hit you along the road. Luckily, some bystanders saw what happened and immediately asked for help.” Jessica looked at her mother confused.

“No, Christmas is over, it’s February.” Mrs. Jung looked at Krystal.

“No, unnie. Today is December 28, Sunday.”

“That can’t be.”

“Krystal, call the doctor, please.” Mrs. Jung, once again, looked at Jessica.

“Oh, dear.”

***

“The accident might have brought her a temporary loss of memory. The impact must have caused more damage to her brain resulting for her to have … an amnesia.” The doctor explained what might be the cause of Jessica’s unaware attitude lately.

“Amnesia?” Mrs. Jung asked, not sure if she heard it right. “But she can remember me, and Krystal.”

“Yeah, that’s why she must’ve forgot something that’s happened lately. Like what happened during your Christmas Eve, or what did she got for a present this Christmas. Something like that. Tomorrow, we will run some test to her, to check if there are severe complications. Don’t worry Mrs. Jung, your daughter is fine. Take some rest.” Mrs. Jung smiled a little and returned to her daughter’s room.

“What did the doctor said?” Krystal asked eagerly.

“She might have a temporary amnesia. She forgot something that is happened, lately.” Mrs. Jung went beside Jessica’s bed.

“How are you feeling?”

“I still haven’t got my phone back.” Jessica answered grumpily. Mrs. Jung giggled.

“Aigoo, here.” Jessica excitedly took her phone and started to text someone.

“After you text that friend of yours, you should sleep, arraseo? We will be here tomorrow. Get some rest.”

“Ne!” Mrs. Jung kissed Jessica’s forehead before they leave the room.

***

“Good night, Sooyoungie. Don’t forget to dream about me.” Jessica read the text out loud. “Hmm, too obvious.” Jessica is in her deep thought.

“What if?” Jessica retyped her message and thought about it.

“Good night, Sooyoung. Sweet dreams.” Once again, she read the message out loud. “Yeah, I think I will settle with this.” Jessica smiled while she hit the send button and putted her phone under her pillow.

“Hmm, sweet dreams.”

 

The next day

 

Jessica: Good Night, Sooyoung.

Sweet dreams! :)

Sent: 10:47PM

 

Sooyoung opened her phone and got shocked to be greeted by a message, to whom she haven’t heard of for such a long time. She looked at her phone for quite some time and decided to get ready for school.

Choi Sooyoung studies in Korea University, taking up an Accounting course. She is in her sophomore year and this entirely new environment fascinates her. Since Sooyoung was still a child, everyone surrounding her given her the idea that “college is such a pain in the ”. But Sooyoung is persistent in proving it wrong. She believes that there are wonderful things that could happen during your college life, and she is going to find those out.

(Phone ringing)

“Yeoboseo?”

“Hey! Kiddo! It’s me!”

“Yuri-ah?!”

“Yeah, hey, listen. I need to talk to you.” Yuri suddenly changed the tone of her voice.

“What happened?” Sooyoung sounded so concern.

“Can you come over here?”

“It’s our examination week. I don’t think I can make it.”

“Just for an hour? Come on.” Sooyoung thought about it before saying, “I have a vacant from 1 up to 3 PM, that’s the only time I got.”

“Okay, go to Seoul National University.”

“Yah! I don’t know how to get there!”

“Aish! Geez! Ara ara! I’ll text you how. See you, alright?”

“Yeah! See you!” Sooyoung hung up the phone and hurriedly got her bag.

***

“Yah! Sooyoung! Wait up!”

“Tiffany! Good Morning!” Sooyoung eye-smiled at her in attempt to imitate her. Tiffany laughed at Sooyoung’s failure.

“You can’t copy my asset.” Tiffany stuck her tongue out at her.

“Aigoo, you’re such a kid. Kaja! We will be late for our exam.” Sooyoung dragged Tiffany to their room.

“Psh. We’re just going to watch ourselves fail, what’s so good about that?” Tiffany slowed her pace down.

“Look, if you can do it, just do it. Every one of us can pass the exams, that’s already given. It depends on you, if you really want it.” Sooyoung stopped so Tiffany will look at her.

“Do you want to pass the exam?” Tiffany thought about it for a second.

“Aish! Let’s just keep going, smart head.” Both of them started walking without saying another word until they reached their classroom.

“Good Luck! Fany-ah!” Sooyoung smiled reassuringly to her before sitting at her own chair.

“Okay, since it’s already 8, shall we start?” The professor got in front of the class.

“Ne!” And the exam has finally started.

***

“Argh, I don’t thing I can still keep up.” Tiffany went beside Sooyoung.

“Oh come on, Fany. I know you can do it, stop being so negative.” Sooyoung stood up preparing to leave.

“Yah! Where are you going? Exams aren’t over yet.” Tiffany looked at her questionably.

“I need to go somewhere. My cousin called me. It sounded so important for her.” Sooyoung explained it carefully.

“But I thought you’re going to tutor me?” Tiffany landed on a chair beside Soyoung’s.

“I’m sorry Fany-ah. Tomorrow. I’ll tutor you tomorrow. Arraseo?” Tiffany looked a Sooyoung.

“Arraseo.” Tiffany sighed.

“See you at 3! Bye!” Sooyoung fished her phone out of her pocket and looked for a message.

“Alright, Seoul National University, here I come.” Sooyoung leave the classroom with a certain American endlessly sighing.

***

“Yah! Where are you?” Yuri was furious at the other line.

“I’m here outside the gate! I don’t think the guard is nice enough to let me in. I’m from a different university.” Sooyoung protested.

“Aish, wait for me. I’ll talk to him.” Sooyoung hung the phone up and waited until Yuri called her to let her in.

“So, why’d you call me?” Sooyoung asked straight to the point.

“Whoa! Slow down, Kiddo. We’ve got other things to catch up on.” Yuri led the way to the University’s cafeteria and they both sat down.

“How are you?” Yuri asked first.

“I’m fine.” And so the conversation goes as both of them got the hang of each other’s lives. After several minutes or so, Yuri, finally asked the question she’s been meaning to ask from the start.

“So, Sooyoung, do you happen to know someone here in my University?” Yuri asked carefully.

“I know you.” Sooyoung jokingly answered.

“No, I mean, someone. Anyone?” Sooyoung thought about it and decided to answer. “I don’t think so.”

Sooyoung got startled when her phone vibrates. She read the text and it was from Tiffany, saying that she should get there before the exam starts.

“I need to leave. I still got some exams. I’m sorry.” Sooyoung immediately took her bag and stood up, ready to leave, until Yuri asked the question.

“Do you know Jessica?” And Sooyoung stopped. She turned around to look at Yuri.

“You know her right?” Yuri looked intently at Sooyoung’s eyes.

“I don’t know. There are a bunch of girls named Jessica. Sorry, I really need to leave.”

“Jessica Jung.” Once again, Sooyoung stopped from walking away.

“She knows you, Sooyoung.”

“What makes you think that I’m the one you’re looking for? Come on, there a lot of girls named Sooyoung too.”

“I got the number. I got the number of that “Sooyoung” in her phonebook.” Yuri raised her phone, and called the number she was talking about.

(Phone ringing)

“Yep. Looks like it’s really you.” Sooyoung got her phone out and looked at the screen. Yuri’s name flashed at the screen.

“Look, I don’t know her personally. We were just exchanging messages, I barely know her.” Sooyoung tried her best to get out of the situation.

“She got into an accident. A while ago, I visited her. She mumbled your name in her sleep. I thought I was just imagining things, until she woke up. She was confused. She doesn’t even know me. Just then, Mrs. Jung showed up and explained to me that she has an amnesia. She doesn’t remember me but she knows you. She wants to see you. Look, maybe you can bring her memories back.” Yuri pleaded.

“I don’t know. We haven’t text each other for a year now, until I got one last night. Maybe her memories will come back, just be patient.” Sooyoung turned around in attempt to leave, but Yuri was fast enough to grab her by the collar of her shirt.

“Yah!”

“Listen, Sooyoung, I’m desperate here. I told her I will bring you there. Please, see her.” Yuri was persistent.

“I need to leave now, I’ll see if I can come later after the exams.” Yuri finally released her and decided to let Sooyoung leave.

***

“Where have you been? Exams are almost starting.” Tiffany frankly asked Sooyoung as she sat down on her chair.

“Yeah, I know.” Sooyoung stared blankly at the floor and Tiffany decided to let Sooyoung be alone.

After another 3 hours, their exams have come to an end. Sooyoung was in her deep thought all throughout the exam, considering if she should come to see Jessica, or just let them solve their own problems.

“Hey, there’s something bothering you. What is it?” Tiffany sounded so concern.

“Nothing.” Tiffany knows better to believe Sooyoung.

“Kaja! Let’s go home.” Tiffany excitedly grabbed her bag in attempt to cheer her up.

“You go first, I have to go somewhere.” Sooyoung sounded so urgent.

“Again?”

“See you.” And by that Sooyoung once again leave the room with Tiffany sighing.

Sooyoung text Yuri asking in what hospital Jessica was confined. Yuri immediately replied and Sooyoung decided to go.

***

“What do you want me to do?” Sooyoung and Yuri talked outside Jessica’s room.

“I want you, to bring her memories back.” Yuri said determined.

“You know I can’t do that.”

“Then try.” Sooyoung sighed. Yuri seems to be blinded with desperation, and Sooyoung can’t protest about it. Sooyoung slowly opened the door and she saw Jessica reading a book.

“Remember. Try.” With that, Yuri disappeared in the corridor. Sooyoung get inside and closed the door behind.

“Hi.” Sooyoung awkwardly greeted and smiled as she slowly move closer to the bed. Jessica couldn’t seem to contain her excitement and she immediately smiled upon looking at her.

“Hello.”

“You remember me?” Sooyoung slowly asked.

“Yeah, Sooyoung right? It’s funny. I imagined you shorter than me.” Sooyoung giggled at her.

“So, what do you remember about me?”

“I remember that you’re a flirt.” Sooyoung was caught off-guard. She wanted to say something, but decided to just shake her head.

“Sorry, I wasn’t supposed to say that.” Jessica smiled ironically.

“I can’t believe this.”

“Why?”

“Well, you see, we haven’t really talked with each other for such a long time. I was shocked about your text last night. I couldn’t believe it. For the past year, you ignored me. I keep on greeting you, but I never got any reply. So, this is insane.” Sooyoung got lost in her emotions and couldn’t stop herself.

“You forgot about me. I was hoping that you’re just busy but I know that…” Sooyoung lost the trail of her sentence when she saw Jessica closed to tears.

“No, I mean. Please, don’t cry. I’m an idiot, I shouldn’t say that.” Sooyoung was frantic and didn’t know what to do if Jessica cries.

“I’m sorry.” Sooyoung sighed and ended up seated at the chair beside Jessica’s bed.

“Am I really mean to you?” Jessica asked slowly.

“Well, if completely ignoring me for some unreasonable reasons considered mean, then yeah, maybe.” Sooyoung regretted that she even said that.

“I was just joking.” Sooyoung tried to take it back.

“No, it’s okay.” The room fell into a deep silence, until Sooyoung remembered something.

“Hey, I brought food.” Sooyoung got the mango pie she bought before coming here. She placed it at the table and offered some to Jessica.

“Thank you.” Jessica gladly took it and started to eat. Sooyoung noticed the cards beside Jessica and thought about something.

“Hey, you want to play?” Sooyoung excitedly said. Jessica, forgot entirely her mango pie and nodded her head.

“I know a game, wherein we will match the cards, according to their number, regardless of its color or symbol. Now, I will hide a card. Don’t look. And the last one with the last card loses. Game?”

“Ne.” Sooyoung carefully distributed the cards carefully.

“Wait, so what is the punishment?” Jessica asked.

“Hmm, we could write something, with a pen, in each other’s’ face.” Jessica thought about it and laughed.

“You will lose, that’s for sure.”

“As if.” Sooyoung stuck her tongue out at her. So, after several rounds, Sooyoung, pretty obviously, won. Jessica pouted at her as Sooyoung gave her a mirror. She looked at the clock and noticed that it’s getting late.

“Let’s get you cleaned up.” Sooyoung brought wet wipes and started removing the writings all over Jessica’s face.

“Your parents are gonna kill me, if they knew that I’m the one who did this to you.” Both of them laughed.

“Don’t worry, I’m not gonna tell. I want to see you live.” Jessica joked around.

“Well, thank you.” Sooyoung genuinely smiled.

“There. I think that should do it. I should be going now.” Sooyoung grabbed her bag.

“Will you be here again tomorrow?” Jessica hopefully asked.

“I don’t think so. I still have my exams.” Jessica was saddened to hear that.

“When will you visit again?”

“I don’t know. I will see.” Sooyoung tucked her in and smiled, before exiting the room. She saw Yuri and decided to talk to her.

“So, what happened?”

“She really do have an amnesia.”

“So, what’s your theory?”

“My theory is that, her brain might have pushed the recent memories back, and bring out her past.”

“How much? What’s the span?”

“I say, 2 years.” Yuri looked so broke.

“That’s why she can’t remember me. She met me a year ago.” Yuri sighed. Sooyoung wanted to ask that one question she wanted to know.

“Do you happen to have a “more-than-friend” relationship with her?” Sooyoung asked slowly.

“I love her.” Sooyoung nodded.

“She feels the same way, in some way, I can assure you that.”

“But she likes you way before, and that’s what she remembers.” Yuri looked intently at her.

“I have a confession. I like her too. Before. But now it’s you. You’re her present now.”

“You’re her past, and she lives with that.” Yuri warningly looked at Sooyoung.

“I won’t take advantage of her.” Sooyoung pomised.

“I’m sure you won’t.”

“Sooyoung? Why are you still here?” Both of them got startled when they saw Jessica standing 10 feet away from them.

“Hey, I just talked to my cousin. She offers me a ride, but I think I can manage.” Sooyoung smiled at her.

“I’m gonna go.” Yuri said and left.

“Let’s get you back inside.” Sooyoung volunteers to take Jessica back her room. She, once again, tucked her in and decided to leave immediately after.

“Sooyoung?” Jessica quietly called out.

“Hmm?”

“Promise me you’ll visit me again.” Sooyoung smiled reassuringly. “Of course. Now, just sleep.” Jessica smiled back then nodded and decided to comply.

Sooyoung went back to her dorm and thought about what happened the whole day. She couldn’t believe that the girl, who forgot about her whole existence, would remember her because of an accident. She have no idea, if she should be thankful, or she should be in grief, because she wants to forget about her. But now, she really is lost.