Moving

Is It Strange?

My family had just moved from the place I spent my whole childhood in. And my parents told me something I would have never thought they would say. I was transferring to another school.

Every day, I would whine to my parents that I didn't want to move schools. "Lizzy, you can't go to your school anymore, it's too far." My mom would tell me over and over again. I was devastated. I lived in Busan my whole life. My friends, who were practically family to me. The ones that I knew since the first day of school. All those memories I shared with them. The connection between us. I was about to lose them all. Dad was driving my mom and I, to the school I was to attend. I felt like a criminal in the backseat of a police car. Trapped in a dark, gloomy place. I suddenly felt distant from my parents. 

We arrived at Cheongju Secondary, and I was literally dragged into the school. I didn't want to be here, but before I knew it, I was sitting in a classroom with nobody I knew. I spent my lunchtime at the library. I left the lunch my mom packed untouched. Mom would fuss about why I didn't eat lunch. How could I? I had no one to eat with at lunch. People were talking with one another in the hallways, smiling. Never had I felt so envious. I had a large circle of friends at Busan Secondary, and I miss them so much. When I got home, I didn't talk to my parents. I hated them. I blame them for this miserable time I was having.

I don't know how the days went by, but it was already 2nd semester. My last block was Science, and the teacher had seating arrangements. A girl I had never seen before was to sit beside me. She started a conversation with me. And she had this spark that made me feel this close bond and connection with her. This was something that never happened before, after I had transferred schools. We were chattering away and she made me laugh so loudly. First time after moving to this school, I felt something. Happiness. Never had I enjoyed being in class or school before. I really felt a bond with this girl...

Nana. Nana, was her name.