Absolutely not

Consequence

"Qilin, no." Rabbit shakes his head. He's stayed silent throughout the process of collecting our household items (which he'd left in some random alley when I cut off my communications), but speaks up as soon as we get into the car. "Absolutely not."

"Absolutely not what?" I demand. "You don't even know what you're saying no to!" Frustrated, I stomp on the gas pedal and we roar out of the parking lot before I regain my senses and slow down, checking to make sure nobody saw.

Slightly apprehensive, Rabbit speaks again, cautiously. "You want to go find him."

I don't answer.

"As Sarah Yang? Qilin, you know-"

"No. Sarah Yang doesn't exist anymore. I just… want to know him again. He doesn't have to know who that girl was."

He relaxes somewhat, but frowns. "How? He's a celebrity, Qilin, you can't just walk up to him."

I purse my lips. "I'll just become a celebrity myself."

He looks at me, thunderstruck. "No! Absolutely not," he forbids again.

"Oppa." I swerve and pull over to the curb. "You get out right this ing instant if you plan on telling me how to live my life. You guys made me come here to get away from the gang fights. Now what? Even here, I have to live like a fugitive? Make no connections, avoid getting tied down?"

Rabbit just stares at me, and I remember that he's not a fighter.

I soften. "Oppa, just trust me. This isn't even about Jackson. It's about my life. We're away from everything now. I can live life as I want, and disappear if need be. You know I can." Trying to cheer him up, I add, "Besides, you know that I've been wanting to beat everyone's on Dream Team and such for a long time."

"I'm scared," he admits, turning his head away. "We all are. That if you find something better, you'll leave us all behind."

Sighing, I lean over and give him a hug. "Rabbit oppa. I chose my life with you, and I don't regret it. Don't ever worry about me leaving you, araso?"

"Araso, Qilin. Mianhae," he murmurs as I start the car again, and I know he's apologizing for more than just getting angry with me earlier.

"I promise I'll be careful, oppa."

"Araso. That's all I ask. I won't forbid you… just stay safe."

We drive the rest of the way home in silence.

 

When we finish making our beds and putting away our shopping, I beat Rabbit to the tech room and call the base in Hong Kong, yelling quickly: "Don't you dare tell them about my plan!"

"Brothers!" I yip happily when it goes through.

"Kids, it's Qilin!" Ox bellows. The rest of the gang comes running to cluster in front of the camera.

"I miss you guys!"

"We miss you too, Lin," Tiger grins.

"It's not the same without you constantly chattering through the system," Horse complains, the large earring on his left earlobe.

"How's it been over there?" Monkey asks.

"Anybody give you trouble?" Ox adds.

"It's good. Made friends with some guys living in this building." I shrug.

"We're settling in well. Fortified the flat, though I don't know how safe I feel up this high," Rabbit says, coming into the room. "What about over there, though? Have they attacked?"

Monkey shakes his head. "Nothing at all yet. They haven't even come close to this place."

"Oh. Where's Rat-ge, by the way?" I ask. "Doesn't he want to talk to me?"

I don't miss the furtive glances that Monkey and Horse exchange.

"We didn’t know you would call. Rat's off scouting," Ox says.

Behind me, Rabbit gets a notification. He checks and looks up at the screen, shocked. Nodding, he deletes the message.

"We're going to go out in a bit, so we'll check in with you later on. Bye, Qilin, Rabbit," Tiger waves.

"Bye," I wave back.

"Bye," my other brothers chorus, sending peace signs and other assorted symbols at the camera before it shuts off.

"Are you hungry, oppa?" I ask, swiveling around in the chair. "I am."

"Mm, me too. Are you cooking?"

"Sure. Instant ramyun?" I suggest innocently.

Rabbit looks at me in horror.

Before Zodiac took me in, Dragon was the only one who could cook. However, he was often busy, resulting in many meals of takeout and instant noodles. At the tender age of eleven, I took it upon myself to cook for the men. Instead of dreading meal times, they started looking forward to them.

"No? What about congee? Just kidding, that stuff still makes me gag," I chuckles, kicking him lightly in the on my way to the kitchen.

He smiles a guilty smile. Looks like he still remembers bringing me congee while I was tied to that chair. We destroyed the chair, but we can't tell people to stop making congee.

"I think I'll make fried rice," I muse. "Let's invite the iKON kids. They probably don't get to have home-cooked meals much."

"Is this part of your plan to become a celebrity?" Rabbit inquires.

"Nope. Just making friends." I toss him his phone. "Text Bobby and invite them to lunch. I just inputted their numbers for you."

"When did you take my phone?"

"Right before I kicked you in the ," I answer cheerfully, looking through the fridge. "Now, if you want lunch, invite those nice boys over."

"Why can't you do it?" he complains.

"Because Shin Minho is out looking for a job and won't be back for lunch, and Shin Minhyuk wants to introduce his little sister to their neighbors."

 

***

 

Narrator:

 

"Kids! Annyeong~" Mino sings, swinging into the practice room. "What are you up to?"

"Sweating over our debut," B.I. laughs. "Are you free today, hyung?"

"Yup. Want lunch? I'll treat you."

"Wait wait wait," Bobby says suddenly, reading a text. "Minhyuk hyung just invited us over for lunch."

"Who's Minhyuk?" Mino asks curiously.

"Our upstairs neighbor who just moved in," Yunhyeong answers.

"We met them this morning," Donghyuk adds.

"They're twin brothers named Shin Minhyuk and Minho. They're 22," Chanwoo tells Mino. "Minho hyung is looking for a job as a stunt double, and Minhyuk hyung is a technician."

"Apparently Minho hyung is out, but their little sister is cooking," Junhwae notes, peering over Bobby's shoulder.

"I didn't know hyung-deul had a little sister," Jinhwan says. "Anyway, it'll be rude if we don't go."

Mino looks slightly crestfallen. "Araso. I guess we can have lunch some other day."

"They're pretty chill, hyung, I'm sure they won't mind if you come, too," Bobby suggests. "Just tag along."

 

Qilin's POV:

 

The doorbell rings on cue.

"Oppa!" I call, busy. "Go open the door!"

"Araso," Rabbit mutters, plastering a smile on his face as he follows my order. "Annyeonghaseyo~" He welcomes our guests inside and usher them towards the dining table. "Minhee's just finishing up the cooking. Oh! Who are you?"

An unexpected guest? I listen intently.

The new acquaintance sounds a bit embarrassed. "I'm Mino, from WINNER. I hope you don't mind…"

"Not at all, nice to meet you. I'm Shin Minhyuk. Minhee cooked plenty," Rabbit-Hyuk reassures him. "I'll just go get an extra set of cutlery. Take a seat."

"Hope you enjoy the food!" I beam, carrying the giant serving bowl of chicken fried rice to the table. The guys' expressions change when I make my appearance. Maybe it's because they don't expect me to be able to carry such a heavy bowl. Oopsies. "This is really heavy?" I say questionably. "Oppa!" I call. "Get me some serving spoons, will you?"

"Araso, Minhee-ya."

I bound off to retrieve the plate of stir-fried vegetables as well before sitting down, satisfied. Nobody moves, instead looking at me, slightly star struck. "Eum…" I fidget, playing my part.

"Everyone, this is my little sister, Shin Minhee," Rabbit-Hyuk introduces, sitting down next to me. "She's 20."

"Annyeonghaseyo."

"Chingu!" Bobby cheers suddenly, breaking the silence.

I grin and start spooning rice into everyone's plates. "You can make your introductions while you eat. I heard from Minho oppa that you guys are singers. You must be famished from practice."

"We are! Thanks for the food," they chorus, and unknowingly introduce themselves a second time to me.

 

Of course, Shin Minhee gets all of their phone numbers, as well, and spends an hour chatting with them while Rabbit-Hyuk does the dishes, with some of the iKON boys helping out.

"You and Minho hyung really look alike," Jinhwan observes.

I laugh, but show no further reaction. I've learned not to dig my own grave.

"Do you work, Minhee noona?" Hanbin asks. "Since your oppa-deul want to work in the entertainment industry."

"I'm not sure," I shrug. "I still haven't really found what I want to do yet, but I kind of want to work in the industry as well. Maybe as a singer, or actress. Back dancer? I've never really thought about it. Maybe I'll just go to university."

"You should audition," Bobby suggests. "For YG. We'll introduce you."

"Maybe later on," I say doubtfully. "But can you really introduce me?"

"Sure, why not?" Mino says.

 

After they leave, I decide to take a nap. I wake up with the sun already low on the horizon and to a text from Rabbit saying, "Going out for a bit, will bring dinner back. Don't leave the building."

I roll my eyes, but decide not to rebel tonight. Turning on the TV, I settle down to watch Cool Kiz.