This isn't goodbye

Consequence

A/N: I forgot to color code the languages... sorry ;u; you might want to check the previous chapter again for a clearer read.

For this chapter, all dialogue is in Cantonese until the first *** break. Then, it's all in Korean.

 

"I don't understand why you have to send me away in the first place," I complain sullenly, trailing behind my brothers as they push the suitcase cart before them. "I'm an adult, I fight better than most of you, I can sneak-" I start ticking off my abilities.

"You're the baby, Qilin." Ox pats my head affectionately with one heavy, scarred hand. "We all raised you. None of us want to see you hurt."

I fling my arms up exasperatedly. "I can take care of myself! I haven't lost a fight since I was fifteen, and that was five years ago-"

"No arguments, Qilin," Tiger cuts you off. "This decision is final. You go to Korea and you wait until we send word that it's safe to come back."

"Ge, honestly-"

"Take care of Lin, little Rabbit," Tiger commands affectionately, clapping a rough hand onto Rabbit's narrow shoulder. "You can do that, right?"

Rabbit's our tech guy. He's not the bulkiest guy out there, which is an understatement. His one true love is tech, and he absolutely abhors violence. He fights well, though he doesn't care to admit it. When he gets going, he's like a maniac.

I roll my eyes. "Really, Tiger-ge," I sigh, raking a hand through my short locks. "I can protect myself, you know that. Tell Rabbit-oppa to mind himself, and get him to stop choosing non-violence when it's not even an option. He's been stuck on tech ever since you got me, so you must know he's not up to watch anyone."

"Qilin, just because you love fighting and you're scary as when you do it-" Rat begins his usual tirade, squinting discontentedly and passing a quick hand over his black hair. It's getting a bit too long.

Rabbit smiles slightly as our older brothers start their defense of him, walking ahead to check in our bags.

Monkey chimes in, flinging a wiry arm over my shoulders. "Qilin, I know Rabbit's not a fighter. We all know he's a damn bunny rabbit, that's why he has the name, but he can still defend himself, and attack if he needs to."

"I know, I know, Rat-ge, not everyone can be a fighter, yadda yadda." I groan. "By the way, ge, you need a haircut. And Monkey-ge, you're not helping your point. Rabbit can defend himself, but that doesn't mean he's qualified to protect me."

Rat lets out a snort. "I think anyone who's stupid enough to even imply you need protection needs protection."

"Qilin's just as good as any of us are in our individual specialties. It's true that Rabbit usually hesitates before fighting, which often leads to his inability to defend himself properly. But when it comes to Lin's safety, I'm sure Rabbit's as qualified as anyone to defend her. Motive is everything," Tiger mediates calmly.

Ox places one brawny arm around Rat's small frame. "Rat. She's lived with all of us for years, she knows everything we know and everything we don't know. Arguments with her are not to be taken up. That's why she's Qilin and not Puppy."

"I still think we should've named her Lamb," Horse grumbles. He's the only one in the gang who has long hair. He's a tad vain (though he doesn't care to admit it), but he's entitled to it. He's a practitioner of Burmese Lethwei and the fiercest fighter we have, or maybe in all of Hong Kong. His name is inspired by his famous back kick, which makes him look exactly like a pissed-off equine. "Like the wolf in sheep's clothing. She masquerades around and nobody even knows she could kill us all in her sleep. Also, the qilin isn't even in the Zodiac!"

"She's the consequence," Tiger reminds them. "That's why she's Qilin. As for not being in the Zodiac, Lin's our secret. Nobody knows who she really is, so it doesn't matter what her name is."

"Besides, who the hell would call a gang member 'Sheep'?" Monkey asks, turning a cartwheel. That brother never can stay still, unless he's standing sentry. Then he turns into a statue for hours on end.

"A ko, I'm not always Qilin," I joke, and then turn serious. "What are you guys going to do without me? When they figure out that they can hurt you without a backlash, they're not going to stop until…" I hesitate.

"Don't worry, Qilin. I can take over medical from here, and these guys are just little nobodies who have been too cowardly to step up until now. Dragon's not here anymore, but we'll teach them their lesson. You know better than anyone that we can fend for ourselves. He taught us well," Tiger reassures me, winding an arm around my waist. "The consequence has done enough."

 

"Tiger, Monkey's hurt!"

That day, four years ago, Monkey had been walking around doing some research when he was ambushed by about fifteen Iron Fist thugs. He beat the hell out of some of them, but he got beat up somewhat too, before Horse went and knocked everyone senseless. I stewed for ages that night, hearing Monkey's pained groans. He couldn't walk for a month.

I was furious. That night, consequence was born and came out to play.

It's a bit hard to do things when both legs of all your thugs are broken and they're gibbering about some ghost that came and made them all pee their pants.

The Iron Fist leader couldn't give any plans a go for months. I recall that he was rather fond of peanuts, and kept them in a huge, easy-to-open jar on his desk. A quick visit to an apothecary, and he had chills 24/7 for however long it took for him to finish that jar of nuts.

I ended up grounded for about a month, but it's really not hard to sneak in and out of the Zodiac stronghold. I don't think they ever realized that I tampered with Rabbit's cameras every night, or that the voice that answered from my room when they checked on me was in fact a recording with a voice-activated playback.

Most of all, I highly doubt they ever suspected I'd learned ventriloquism. It's oh so very easy to sneak past when I make them look the other way.

 

I snort and jolt out of my reverie. "There's never enough consequence to take care of all the messed up people in this world," I deny. "I trust you guys. I just don't trust the motherers in those other gangs to play fair. Nobody follows the code these days."

"The code? That antique? You sound like Dragon," Ox laughs, ruffling my hair. "Just watch yourself, kid, and Rabbit. We'll be fine here."

"Time to go," Monkey points at the schedule board with his feet, twirling around upside-down on his hands. HKG to ICN, 12 am.

"Stop making a scene, Monkey-ge," you reprimand, pushing him over.

"Relax, Lin, there's nobody here. We made sure of that," Horse says, pulling you into a hug. "I'll miss you, nyi ma lay. I'll lose my sparring partner. These punks are all hopeless at lethwei."

"Yeah, well, you're pretty hopeless at judo," Rat retorts. "And all of us will lose our sparring partner, since Lin's the only one who knows all our disciplines." He pulls you into a hug as well, followed by the others.

"I'll spar with you all when I come back," I promise. "I'll beat you guys into a pulp, just like you want me to. You'll feel the kiss of my fist."

"Yes please," they chorus, just a group of oversized boys who've been thrown into a ridiculous situation. I clench my fists as pressure builds, then subsides, behind my eyes.

My brothers have been with me eight years. Eight years of overprotectiveness and paranoia. It's hard to imagine life without them.

"Let's go, oppa." Without a backward glance, I head through the Departures gate.

 

***

 

We get through Customs without a hitch. I stifle a snigger as I picture Ox in the same situation. His pronounced fondness for firearms and heavy-duty weaponry, developed in the U.S. military, would land him in quite the predicament. In my case, however, I am my only weapon.

"They didn't stop you? What'd you do, drug the customs officer?" you ask Rabbit.

"As if. Drugging is Rat's style. I just don't have much tech stuff in there. All my heavy-duty stuff is in the check-in baggage. I went into the system and sent an order down the line designating that as fragile and requiring special care- there are probably a bunch of confused employees following orders right now. Their cyber security is really quite laughable. All I have here is my laptop and some basic hardware," he explains.

"I thought you said you never part with your tech?" I tease. "You know, your one true love?"

"Well, sometimes that's not the best way to go," he admits. "Anyway, I have you, and that's just as good as tech." He grabs my waist and pulls me towards him before I can head up to the counter. "Haven't you forgotten something?"

"Yah, oppa," I complain under my breath. "I'm supposed to be a guy-"

"So? We're twins today," Rabbit announces cheekily, grinning as he pulls out a pair of Korean passports. "Fraternal twins. You're Shin Minho and I'm Shin Minhyuk. I've got backgrounds for us to memorize on the plane."

"Ah, cool! Is that your real name?" I ask curiously, snatching my passport and subtly reconfiguring my face to match the photo I took a week ago. "We're 21? And what if I want to be a girl sometimes?"

"Yeah, 21 seems about the right age for living alone. You won't pass for older, anyway. I've got a whole pile of these for us, so changing identities isn't a problem, since we don't know if our rivals have contacts in Seoul. The more, the better. And nah, it's not my real name," he denies, but says no more on the subject. I shrug.

Real names seem to be a bit of a tender spot for my brothers. It doesn't matter though, since nobody knows my real name.

"Mm, perfect as usual," he approves as I finish adjusting. He glances between the passport photo and my face, nodding. "Voice?"

"Ah, ah-" I clear my throat. "Ah~ Annyeonghaseyo, Shin Minho-ibnida," I greet him, bowing.

"All set."

"Hyung, can we go shopping when we get there? And why are you the older twin?"

"Aish, we'll talk about that on the plane. I'm older than you. Remember the walk. Let's go."

 

***

 

We're in the first-class cabin, having booked the entire thing.

Rabbit-as-Minhyuk takes ages to memorize his backstory, then starts working on his laptop. I've already gotten Shin Minho and Shin Minhee memorized, so I'm set for a while.

Shin Minho, 21 years old, grew up in the USA. College dropout, living on grandmother's inheritance…

Shin Minhee, 19 years old, Shin Minho's younger sister. High school diploma, not planning on college…

I've got one of the best memories in Zodiac, second only to Rat's and a bit better than Rabbit's. Rat's the one who trained me to memorize location maps and directions. Rabbit's different. He memorizes strings of code and can speed-type like nobody else- except for me, of course.

"I'm bored," I announce in my annoying-as-hell-sibling voice, leaning over to lay my head on his shoulder.

"Wait just a sec," he replies, focused on the screen.

"The others just got home," I observe, checking the tracker on my watch. "Can I set up the communications system?"

"Yeah, go ahead. Don't interfere with the aircraft's system, no matter how tempting it is," Rabbit-as-Minhyuk warns.

"Aish, araso. That's the Shin bank account?" I note as he pulls up a bank account. "Is this the one with the most money?"

"Mm." He nods. "Remember-"

"Yeah, our grandmother died and left us all her stuff. Can we go shopping later?" I plead, configuring our earpieces. "I don't want to stay in the house all day."

"Ah, just wait, I need to make sure the house is ready, all that jazz. If you're done with comm, watch Dream Team or something," Rabbit-as-Minhyuk sighs.

"Ugh, fine," I pout. Settling back in my seat, I pull out my iPad and connect to the network Rabbit has set up. "Why is this so slow, Hyuk?"

"Is that my nickname? I'm using most of the bandwidth. Set up your own network."

"Yeah, never mind." I give up.

"It takes you literally thirty seconds, Minho, don't be a lazy Ho," he reprimands with a pleased smile. "How do you like that nickname?"

I flip him off as he giggles, and turn to stare out the window. "Tell me when you finish."

 

It's been years since I've set foot on Korean soil.

Not home. Not anymore, I think. The country I used to call home now feels foreign. Looking out the window at the clouds passing by, I try and comprehend this twist in my life's path that has been thrown in so suddenly. What will the rest of the gang do without me? Without consequence? Anger boils when I think of the mess of a turf war they've been thrown into, the senseless violence that they're trying to protect me from.

Before I can mull over the absence of the men who have raised me as their little sister, the captain's voice comes on over the intercom. He sounds middle-aged.

Unbidden, my father comes to mind. Ever since that fateful day, he's been intruding on my thoughts sporadically, though less and less frequently. I can't remember the last time I thought about him. How are you, appa? What do you look like? Have you forgiven me yet? Do you… remember me?

I take a deep breath. Shut up. You're not Park Jinhee anymore.

I'm Qilin, sometimes Puppy, occasionally Jackson, now Shin Minho and Shin Minhee and whomever else I'll choose to be. I'm the deadly secret of the Zodiac gang, the consequence, not that girl who knew nothing but tears and weakness.

I'm Qilin, 20 years old, who can do anything. I know because I've tried.

I can do anything, but I can't protect my family from across the ocean.