Empty Reassurance

Self-Destruction

 

A/N: Fix months after, I manage to get an update out ;A; I apologize for the tardiness, school's been a real pain with switching out of this academic program at my school and adjusting to the courses ^^; I plan to update a lot more now that I'm on my break ^^; Whoever's on a break as well, I hope you have an awesome well or I heard that some of you might have finals, so good luck!

P.S. Btw! new poster! the old one was super scary and was from the spur of all the halloween posters coming out, thus the zombie like looks ;A; 
 

*~*

 

 

Rumours fly about, rumours of Sunggyu betraying Woohyun, Sunggyu backstabbing Woohyun, Saehee’s the cause of their decaying friendship; all the things Sunggyu doesn't want personifies themselves into rumours, hurtful ones.

It’s so messed up, it’s so screwed up. Sunggyu thinks, his hands folded behind his head.

“We’ll make it through, don’t worry.” Saehee reassures.

Sunggyu smiles, inherently and sincere. “I’m not worried about making it through; I’m just worried about how you’ll react to all of this,” he pauses, “chaos.”

“If I was scared of trouble then I wouldn’t be here, right?”

Sunggyu finds it so easy to smile when he’s around her, she can give him a million reasons to smile and this is one of them. 

 

 

*~*

 

 

Sungjong grew up, indulge with their love; the love of all six. It was unusual per se when Woohyun started dating Saehee and he saw him less, it was unusual but bearable. It’s unbearable when Sunggyu started dating Saehee, he still saw him but it was awkward to an extent. Woohyun and Sunggyu were awkward with their too formal hellos and goodbyes. Their smiles didn’t reach their eyes nor did their laughter sound so alive. Sungjong can’t help but harbour a little – very little, he emphasis – bitterness towards Saehee. It’s very miniscule, very little, barely noticeable but it’s there.

 

 

*~*

 

 

How was Woohyun supposed to react? Was he supposed to punch his best friend, Sunggyu, for falling in love with his ex-girlfriend, Saehee? Is he angry that both of them are in love or is he angry that Sunggyu, his best friend, didn’t tell him that he loves someone? Or does he still like Saehee?

Why is he mad when he’s supposed to be happy?

 

 

*~*

 

 

The awkwardness between them is agonizing. Dongwoo’s innocent laughter can’t cover it but he laughs anyway.

Sunggyu still talks to him, despite being with Saehee and Woohyun being there, but he does his best to ignore the discomfort and smiles the chinky smile. Dongwoo sees more of Woohyun, it can’t be helped. It was like Sunggyu and Myungsoo when Woohyun was with Saehee. Except Woohyun’s so torn apart. Dongwoo doesn’t know why but he has a vague understanding. Woohyun still likes Saehee, but that isn’t the only reason. Sunggyu didn’t tell him anything – in fact, he didn’t tell anyone. It hurts Dongwoo too and was a big surprise to him when Sunggyu told him (without Woohyun’s presence). Dongwoo doesn’t blame him (he has no right to), but it wouldn’t kill to just say something, right? As the second eldest, he has the unspoken responsibility to look after them.

“How are you doing?” Dongwoo asks, running his hand through his soak locks. A shower after a hefty dance practice is paradise.

“Good,” Woohyun shrugs and throws the towel at Dongwoo.

Dongwoo frowns, he never responds with ‘Good.’ It’s usually, ‘y.’ The arrogant grease-bag is changing. “So...”

“Dongwoo, what would you do?”

He stares at Woohyun, laid on his bed, his hands behind his head, pensive thoughts running through his eyes. He wanted answers to his never-ending questions. Dongwoo wasn’t Sunggyu in that aspect; he couldn’t give the advice that could solve everything, only empty reassurance.

“Well, if it’s Sunggyu, I wouldn’t be as mad,” Dongwoo shrugs. It’s Sunggyu; he probably thought about it so much that the problem morph itself into his dreams. He wouldn’t make reckless decisions and he probably thought about the endless outcomes and decided that it was worth it. He likes Saehee that much.

“But also because it’s Sunggyu, I’m more mad.” Sunggyu’s their best friend. To some extent, he should have told them. Or maybe he shouldn’t. But it comes off as more of a shock that it’s Sunggyu dating Saehee. Woohyun must have felt betrayed to some degree.

“Since it’s Sunggyu, I know he’ll treat her well. He probably thought of his decisions thoroughly before marching to my house. I know he’s serious and you know what’s sad?”

Dongwoo doesn’t breathe.

“I think I saw it coming. They can talk so much easier, Saehee doesn’t hold back and Sunggyu’s well –” Woohyun pauses and smiles, “He’s just himself.”

Dongwoo walks over to his bed and plops himself on the floor close to it. Times like this are meant for Woohyun to think, to self-reflect with little advice here and there. As dense as Dongwoo would like to call himself, he saw their friendship growing day by day.

“But I don’t know, Dongwoo. When Sunggyu told me that day, I wanted to hit him.” Woohyun doesn’t look at Dongwoo for his reaction; he knows it’ll be grotesque. Woohyun was surprise to find his hands trembling with anger; he was scared at how much he wanted to strike Sunggyu.

“But you didn’t hit him,” Dongwoo interjects.

“Yeah, I didn’t. Instead, I lied.”

 

Sunggyu watches Woohyun, faze. He doesn’t know if he should tell Woohyun that it’s his fault, that he didn’t want it to happen, that he shouldn’t be mad at Saehee. He’s so lost, he can’t talk himself out of this situation, he can’t.

 

“Woohyun?” Sunggyu reaches out, unsure.

 

“I’m fine,” Woohyun looks up. His eyes plague with hurt, with this oppressive, suffocating weight. Woohyun couldn’t force himself to smile.

 

“So...” For the first time, Sunggyu felt lost.

 

Woohyun breathes in and out, trying to calm himself. Sunggyu didn’t tell him about his feelings despite all of the times everything he told Sunggyu – about his feelings for Saehee, how hard it was. He wonders how long Sunggyu had these feelings. Woohyun felt so betray by one of the people he trusted the most. He bypasses the lump in his throat and finds myself shaking from the anger. For the first time, he’s angry at Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu looks at Woohyun, worried. Woohyun’s confuse and it slowly dawns onto him the actual load of Sunggyu’s words.

 

Sunggyu’s his best friend, he’ll treat Saehee well. Woohyun thinks. If Sunggyu and Saehee are happy, then he’s happy, right? It should work out that way.

 

“I’m okay Sunggyu.”

 

Sunggyu stares at Woohyun, skeptical. Woohyun’s not okay, he’s hurt. If their positions were switch, Sunggyu would be anything but okay. But Sunggyu couldn’t bear to hurt him any more than he already did.

 

“Sunggyu, I’m happy that it’s you. I know that you’ll treat her well, so just...go.”

 

Woohyun’s eyes are begging Sunggyu to leave, to spare him with some of his pride left, so Sunggyu does that. He leaves.

 

 

 

“You didn’t actually think I’d punch him, did you?” Woohyun ask, laughing.

Dongwoo cringe, “No, I know you wouldn’t. Somehow, it’ll work out.”

They could hope so with their humble hearts.

 

 

*~*

 

 

“Sunggyu’s late,” Sungjong’s hand sprawl over his chemistry textbook, “And I’m hungry...” Sunggyu’s been tired lately from school, work and personal problems – Sungjong understands him and always mutters a white lie saying that he didn’t need that much help anyway. But when he failed the chemistry test last week, he knew that he needed help – desperately and fast.

Sungjong looks at the clock and lunch ends in twenty minutes. He can wait for Sunggyu or grab a quick lunch. Sungjong’s fingers tremble from the constant wish to jab at Sunggyu’s speed dial so he opts for lunch. When he gathers everything in his bag, he sees Saehee. His face wrinkles just a little bit at the sight of her, he doesn’t hate her, just…dislikes her, just a little bit.

He tries to bypass her but like Sunggyu, she has surprisingly sharp eyes and notices his bright backpack. “Hi Sungjong,” she smiles a heartfelt one.

Lately, Sungjong’s been more aloof with her than before when she was Woohyun’s girlfriend – in fact, they were pretty close when she was Woohyun’s girlfriend but as Sunggyu’s girlfriend, he distanced himself from her. Saehee could guess why but it didn’t stop her from pursuing the friendship.

“Uhh…hey,” Sungjong holds onto his backpack strap, nervous.

“What are you doing here?”

“I was waiting for – uhh – Sunggyu but I don’t think he’s coming,” he muttered.

“Oh, Sunggyu went to the Physic teacher for extra help today,” she watches Sungjong bitterly smile, “If you want, I can help you.”

“Oh no,” his hands object, “It’s okay, Saehee. I don’t really need –”

“Come on, you wouldn’t want to fail your test,” Saehee says and walks past him to the study table. She knew about Sungjong’s fail, she also knew about Sunggyu stressing out about it. Saehee couldn’t do anything but assure Sunggyu that it’ll be alright – now she can actually do something. She watches Sungjong debate on the decision and he puts more weight on his academics.

 

 

*~*

 

 

Sunggyu draws music notes on Saehee’s palm, and eventually folds their hand together. They’re both sitting on the school field, the fence pattern leaving imprinted marks on their shirts. The sun casts a light glow on them and he feels the heat – it’s a happy and fluttering feeling.

“You know, you’re really forgetful,” Saehee says, opening one eye to look at Sunggyu.

“How?”

She closes her eyes and smiles, “You’ll find out soon enough.”

Sunggyu frowned, “Saehee.”

“Don’t worry about – Sunggyu, that tickles,” She burst out laughing, her fingers trying to pry Sunggyu’s off. 

“Come on, tell me,” Sunggyu laughs, listening to Saehee’s little outburst of glee. They continue laughing, smiling and just enjoying their time together like this, in the smallest ways possible. They’ll soon become memories burnt in the back of their mind, the ashes will remain – maybe for a month or two, maybe forever.

 

 

*~*

 

 

Hoya’s a perfectionist. He lives up to his proclaim title from the tedious practices, the sleepless nights and the sharp eyes. It gets annoying at times, but they all endure it because well, he’s Hoya. Hoya’s also loveable so when he’s shaking with fright, Sunggyu notes.

“Yo Hoya, calm down,” Sunggyu gives him a little punch. Hoya is immune to the punch as he stares ahead, zoning out.

“Howon,” Sunggyu waves his hand in front of his face, “Howonie.”

Hoya comes back and smiles, “I’m a little nervous.”

Sunggyu rolls his eyes, “A little,” and rolls up his sleeves to his watch.

“They’re late.” Technically, Hoya and him had twenty minutes before his next performance but it was the unspoken rule that everyone had to be present half an hour before any of their performances to lend them support or whatever.

Sungjong comes running in literally two minutes later, apologizing for his tardiness. “Sorry Hoya, I was getting Chemistry help before getting ready,” he talks in between his breath.

“Sungjong, take a breath first. You sound like you have asthma,” Sunggyu laughs, tousling Sungjong’s hair.

Sungjong frowns, “It’s only because you keep forgetting to come help me, Gyu.”

Sunggyu awkwardly smiles, “Sorry about th –”

Sungjong raises a hand to stop him, “It’s okay, I have Saehee to help me,” and smiles. “She’s really nice and helpful. So I don’t need you anymore.”

Hoya laughs too loudly, “You got ditched, Sunggyu.”

“Shut up,” and this causes both of them to laugh. Sunggyu smiles, so that’s why Sungjong hasn’t been pestering him about Chemistry anymore. She’s been secretly helping Sungjong.

“So how are you and Saehee doing?” Hoya asks, popping a little question to relieve the stress.

Sunggyu smiles, “Good.”

“Good is so vague,” Sungjong retorts and Sunggyu hits him on the head.

“What more do you expect?”

“Just teasing you, Gyu,” Sungjong laughs and Sunggyu narrows his eyes.

“It’s not very funny Jongie,” and he sees Sungjong and Hoya smiling. It’s been a while since any of them has had time to meet with school and miscellaneous things getting in the way.

Sunggyu looks around the crowd, looking for the familiar faces but he can’t seem to find them. His mind wanders off to Woohyun and wonders how he’s doing. It’s been almost a month since they’ve talked and he misses him. Sunggyu knows that Woohyun’s avoiding him to some extent but it’s inevitable, right?

But he didn’t think it’d be so hard. No matter how mentally prepared he is, he never expected this.

“...He’ll be mad for a while but you’re best friends, there’s supposed to be no hate.”

But how long does this phase last for? A few months? A year? Two years? Forever?

“Sunggyu? Are you okay?” It’s Hoya’s turn to wave his hand in front of Sunggyu’s face.

Sunggyu smiles, “Yeah?”

“Woohyun’s still doing good,” Hoya says, a calm and poise expression on his face. Sunggyu inwardly sighs in relief. If Myungsoo’s observant, then Hoya’s no better but because of his dance practices, he’s been wearier to notice anything. Now that the practices are over, Sunggyu has to be more careful.

“That’s good,” Sunggyu sighs inwardly.

“Don’t worry, he’s a little down about it but he’ll come back greasier than ever,” Sungjong interjects and they stay quiet for a while.

They haven’t talked about the topic of Woohyun and Sunggyu because it hurts them too much. All of them have been friends since forever and they were practically mourning when holidays hit three years ago and Sungyeol was dragged to the airport on some trip to Japan. Their first holiday missing one of the members together and they all welcome him back with video games and open arms immediately. Now Sunggyu hasn’t talked to Woohyun in almost a month and it wasn’t because of holidays or miscommunication but it was voluntarily. Something was wrong there, everyone knew it but no one wanted to say it.

“Yeah, sorry for caus –”

“Don’t apologize Stupid,” Sungjong says, taking the opportunity of hitting Sunggyu on the back of his head.

Sungjong squeals as Sunggyu pulls him in a headlock, “Hey, I’m older than you, you know that?”

“I know, I know,” Sungjong laughs, still in the headlock and Hoya tries to free Sungjong, laughing at the same time.

Dongwoo comes tripping into the conversation, follow by a sulky Woohyun. The joking stops and encouragements are being thrown at Hoya. Sunggyu straightens up, feeling suddenly very awkward.

“Hey Dongwoo, Woohyun,” he nods.

Dongwoo laughs his usual laughter, “I haven’t seen you in a while, I thought you died or something.”

“Nope, still here and beating you in darts,” Sunggyu chuckles.

“How do you see through those eyes of yours?” Dongwoo jokes and Sunggyu’s smiling instead of smacking Dongwoo. It’s nice to have the old days back.

They shouldn’t have left in the first place.

“Shut up, you sore loser.”

Eventually, Myungyeol comes strutting in fashionably late. They both apologize and Myungsoo blames it on Sungyeol for taking too long to eat and Sungyeol blames it on Myungsoo for taking too long to choose which fedora to wear. Through the midst of their laughter, Sunggyu and Woohyun only manage to mumble a: “Hi.” “How are you doing?” A few nods here and there, forced smiles.

How did it become like this?

 

 

*~*

 

 

When Saehee’s stumbling through the crowds, trying to find Sunggyu in the dark, she manages to bump into Woohyun. Usually, Woohyun would be scratching the back of his head out of awkwardness or laugh to ease the atmosphere but he just smiles and nods. “Looking for our seats?” Woohyun asks, chuckling lightly.

Saehee smiles and nods, “Yeah.”

He makes a gesture to tell her to follow him and she does. “So – uhh – how’s your studies?” Saehee asks, trying to keep up with his fast pace. Woohyun notices and slows down a bit.

“I’m doing good, how’s the student government stuff? Still managing?”

She nods, “Of course. It’s hard but it’s fun so it’s worth it. How are you and vocal lessons?”

Woohyun clears his throat, talking like this, it’s almost like nothing happened between them. “They’re good.” Before Woohyun could continue, they’re at their designated rows of chairs. Woohyun’s heart breaks a little when Saehee smiles, mutters a “thanks” and “bye,” and skips over to the empty seat beside Sunggyu.

Sunggyu shifts a bit in his seat when Saehee slips in the seat beside him. “Hey,” she mutters and Sunggyu stretches his arm out so it’s resting on her seat.

“You’re late,” Sunggyu says and Saehee’s frowning.

“I had practice and rushed here,” Saehee retorts but smiles teasingly, “All for Hoya.”

“Hoya?!”

“Well, it’s his showcase, isn’t it? Who else would I be here for?” She continues to tease and Sunggyu sits back, defeated.

“Did you straighten your hair beforehand?” Sunggyu asks, holding a piece of her locks. “It looks nice.”

Saehee nods, “For Hoya’s showcase.”

“Well, Hoya won’t like it. It’s disarray from practice, you must have worked hard,” Sunggyu teases while smoothing out the out-of-place locks and Saehee beams.

“Well, do you like it?” Saehee asks and Sunggyu breaks into a smile.

“I like it.” Sunggyu chuckles.

Everything grows quiet and the stage lights up. Saehee leans in and faintly whispers, “Shh, Hoya’s going to come on soon.” Sunggyu rolls his eyes but they both direct their attention to the dancers on stage.

Dongwoo’s on the edge of his seat, watching the dancers. Hoya’s going to be on soon but his attention is distracted by Woohyun who’s awfully quiet – too quiet, he thinks. Dongwoo nudges Woohyun on the side and Woohyun quirks up, the conversation with Saehee running through his mind. “Yeah?”

“You okay?” I saw you talking to Saehee and your eyes gave everything away.

“I’m okay, let’s watch the show.” I’m only pretending right now but don’t give me away, please.

“It’s good so far.” Okay, I won’t say anything.

“Yeah.” Thank you.

 

 

*~*

 

 

“Good job!” is all Hoya hears before he’s pulled into one gigantic group hug.

“Can’t—breathe—Guys, stop!” Hoya stutters between his breath and everyone breaks off, laughing and cheering for him. They’re genuinely happy for Hoya and his big showcase. The smile never leaves Hoya’s lips for the whole night.

Woohyun’s playing with his food at Hoya’s house when Sunggyu musters up the courage to check up on him. “You shouldn’t be playing with your food,” Sunggyu comments, plopping down beside him at the dinner table.

The celebration isn’t anything special– Hoya would tell them – it’s just Hoya’s parents cooking for a crowd of 12 people while they boast about their son’s achievement. They’ve grown use to hearing the stories but there’s no harm hearing them again and again. Hoya usually gets embarrassed at the third round of stories and begs his parents to stop.

Woohyun looks at the food on his plate and forces a smile, “I’m kind of full.”

“Hoya’s parents always over-prepare,” Sunggyu’s shaking his head, laughing. Then a wave of silence hits them and Woohyun’s staring at the plaid tablecloth’s pattern and Sunggyu’s trying to figure out what to say next.

Suddenly, Sungyeol’s yelling about something and everyone’s laughing at his suffering. “I think Saehee just defeated Sungyeol at video games again,” Sunggyu remarks, laughing again.

“She gets along well with them,” Woohyun says, looking at the bunch of them on the sofa and floor and the animated television.

“Yeah, I was worried they won’t but –” Sunggyu shrugs, “Yeah.”

Woohyun nods. Sunggyu grows frustrated with the frequent pauses just to think of what to say – it’s not suppose to be like this; it never was.

“What happened between us?” Sunggyu asks in disbelief and Woohyun contemplates but can’t find the answer. What did happen? Was it Saehee? Or was it himself?

“We didn’t fight or argue but we’re like this,” Woohyun finishes for Sunggyu.

“It just happens I guess,” Sunggyu says. Dating your best friend’s ex-girlfriend didn’t call for the most comfortable situation nor was he really expecting it. He just prays that the discomfort doesn’t stay for long.

“It’s not that we hate each –”

“No, of course not,” Sunggyu quickly interjects. Sunggyu’s squirming in his seat now, “Hey Woohyun, do you still – you know – like Saehee?”

Woohyun thinks for a while and Sunggyu’s holding his breath but in this cruel reality, Sunggyu knows the answer.

“Yes, I still like her.”

Sunggyu nods, “I understand.”

“Though I won’t try those sappy things like win her back. I see that she’s happy with you,” Woohyun smiles his greasy smile and it’s like everything’s back to normal.

Sunggyu gives Woohyun a big pat on the shoulder, “Eat up, okay?”

“Finish the mushrooms for me, I don’t like it,” Woohyun’s grinning now, pushing the plate towards Sunggyu who frowns and rolls his eyes.

Just like the old times, Woohyun would never finish the mushrooms and Sunggyu would eat them for him. They still follow that routine until now.

“This is the last time, okay?” Sunggyu says, ruffling Woohyun’s hair and grabbing the fork.

But both of them know that it’d never be the last time.

 

 

*~*

 

 

Myungsoo’s fingers sprawl all over the buttons – at this point, victory was slim but he could only do so much.

“Just because you’re pressing random buttons, don’t think you’re going to win,” Hoya says, ending the game with a victory grin. Myungsoo grumbles and throws the remote to Sungjong. Dongwoo’s busy playing cards with Sungyeol, Saehee and Woohyun while Sunggyu’s just laughing at Sungjong’s horrible gaming tactics.

“So, now that you have Saehee, you forget about me?” Myungsoo teases and Sunggyu laughs.

“You know it’s not like that,” Sunggyu says.

“And now that you’re friends with Woohyun, my place in your heart is going to grow small,” Myungsoo indicates the amount with his index finger and thumb.

“Don’t worry, you’re still in there. All of you are in there and you’re all equal. If it makes you feel better, I’ll let you win when we play games,” Sunggyu offers and Myungsoo frowns.

“I’ll win anyway,” Myungoo retorts cheekily and Sunggyu looks offended.

“Don’t be too cocky, I’ve gotten better.”

“Probably not as good as Saehee, Sungyeol’s planning revenge or something.” Myungsoo gestures to their little card game where Sungyeol’s sticking his tongue out to Saehee, who’s laughing at his juvenile behaviour.

“Shut up,” Sunggyu remarks and Myungsoo’s laughing.

At the end of the day when Saehee has to leave early and Sunggyu escorts her home, a lot of things happen: Myungsoo defeats Sunggyu at the game (and Sunggyu didn’t even go easy on him), all of them forget about homework and the most important thing of all, Woohyun and Sunggyu are friends again.

“See, I told you it’ll work out,” Saehee says and Sunggyu nods.

“It feels amazing, you know?” Sunggyu breathes out in relief, “To have this moment when there are no problems and everything just feels right.”

Saehee tries to muffle her laughter and Sunggyu’s staring at her, “Hmm?”

“It’s been so long since I’ve heard you talking like this,” Saehee says, “Usually, you’re stressing out about schoolwork, school affairs or just about general things.”

“Thanks for helping Sungjong with chemistry,” Sunggyu says.

“Don’t thank me Silly,” Saehee laughs again, “He’s a cute kid and you were telling me how stressed out you were last week. I like that you can confide me with these things.”

“I like that you listen.”

Both of them look at each other and smile softly before walking in peace, lacing their fingers together.

 

 

*~*

 

 

“It’s going to be okay, right?” Woohyun whispers, staring at the gaps between his fingers. “I can do it, right?”

 

 

*~*

 

 

Everyone’s breathing a sigh of relief when they see Woohyun and Sunggyu joking about something stupid. Their conversations before were all stupid and it took a while for everyone to understand why it was so funny but in reality, it wasn’t funny at all.

When Sunggyu catches a glimpse of Saehee down the hall and smiles, Woohyun’s face would change for a moment – not even a moment, maybe a millisecond and it’s a millisecond too long for them to overlook.

 


*~*

 

 

Saehee finds it easy to smile and notices that Sunggyu’s the same. He’s smiling a lot more now and would smile at the faintest memories now; before there were frowns and creases knitted in his eyebrows. She’s also relieved that she’s friends with Woohyun. It can get awkward but at least they’re trying to amend the relationship, something she’s so grateful for.

Woohyun sees Saehee carrying boxes of pizza in the hallway minutes before lunch starts, she peers around with pizza and smiles at Woohyun and he waves, making her way over. Woohyun nods and stuffs his hands in his pockets. For some reason, he felt nervous. “Hey,” Saehee says, stopping.

“You need help?” Woohyun stares at the stack of pizza in her hands and she shakes her head.

“I’ll manage, thanks though.”

“Why do you need so much pizza?” Woohyun asks, continuing to walk down the hall and she follows suit, still struggling.

“There’s a special person here teaching some seniors how to tutor properly and I’m bringing the pizza over there. Though I think half of the seniors are there for the free pizza,” she laughs and the top pizza box lunges forward. Woohyun luckily catches it in time and takes two more out of her hold.

“I don’t trust you with the pizza boxes,” Woohyun chuckles, “You can guide me.”

“Sorry for bothering you,” Saehee says, opening the door for him.

“You’re not bothering me at all, don’t worry about it. Though I’ll bother Sunggyu about it for letting his girlfriend do labor work,” Woohyun teases and Saehee smiles. 

“Sorry Woohyun.”

“What?” Woohyun asks, looking at Saehee and her solemn expression. Even though they were in a relationship for six months, he still can’t figure out her thoughts; what each expression meant. He really didn't know her that well after all. 

“I’m sorry we ended so badly and that...right after, I started going out with Sunggyu,” Saehee comments, her fingers curling into her palms.

Woohyun almost wants to stop and listen, really listen, to all of Saehee’s words, for any underlying meaning or for the practical meaning. Was it really her fault? Feelings are something people can’t control; people can suppress and ignore them but they’re still there, pulsing strong as ever. He doesn’t blame her for something so intangible, he never did.

“Saehee, it was three months after you broke up that you got together with Sunggyu; not right after. I don’t blame you so you shouldn’t either.” Woohyun says, feeling the weight on his chest get heavier and heavier. He doesn’t blame her – he still likes her but he doesn’t know what to do. To suppress and ignore?

“It’s my fault to some degree but I’m really happy that things are back to normal with you and Sunggyu.”

“Yeah, I’m glad too. I don’t think we’re meant to fight forever.”

“Of course, you guys are best friends.”

 

 

*~*

 

 

“I use to say this to Sunggyu a lot but you do know that it’s okay to be selfish, right?” Hoya says, leaning back on his chair.

“You’re going to fall,” Woohyun remarks, pressing a light finger on Hoya’s shoulder and Hoya’s face is uneasy as the chair rocks back a little too far. Woohyun’s laughing as Hoya tries to catch himself and he does because he’s Hoya.

“Not funny,” Hoya frowns and Woohyun smiles gently.

“Well, what do you want me to do, Hoya?” Woohyun asks, “I don’t want that awful awkwardness with Sunggyu again but I still like Saehee. What should I do then?”

Hoya frowns, lost. “Be selfish.”

“I was being selfish the first time I heard, remember what happened to us?”

“I remember,” Hoya frowns again but this time his brows are furrow – something’s wrong, “But if you’re the only one hurting from this facade –”

“Sunggyu must have been dying when he realize that he likes Saehee. I like Saehee too but they look so happy, how could I ruin that happiness?” Woohyun deduces from his late nights of thoughts. It’s only fair that Woohyun’s hurting, Sunggyu’s been hurting for too long.

What can I do to make it stop? 

Hoya chuckles and Woohyun’s giving him arched brows. “What?”

“It’s nothing,” Hoya says, chuckling, “It’s just strange how you two are fighting to be hurt.”

At the realization, Woohyun laughs as well. “It is, isn’t it?”

Hoya nods.

“But as long as he’s happy, then it’s good.”

 

 

*~*

 

 

The individuals are scared of themselves, espescially the individuals walking down the halls. They have too many words to say, too many assumptions to make and the worst of all – the greatest thirst for knowledge. If everyone were to play broken telephone with the whole school, the message in the end would be filtered, distorted and unrecognizable. That’s how rumors come about, through the filtration, distortion of everyone’s mind.


Woohyun looks at the washroom stall, the messages people are passing to each other. Apparently, this gossip is about him, Sunggyu and Saehee. Their pizza conversation the other day seems to draw attention for more rumors.

“Is Woohyun and Saehee getting back together?”
“What about Sunggyu?”
“Would Woohyun sink that low though?”
“It was Sunggyu’s fault so he deserves it.”

Woohyun considers taking a marker and scribbling it. It’s vandalizing and Sunggyu would be frustrated. Plus, he doesn’t sink that low.

The words etch on the washroom stalls turn into words, whispers and murmurs floating throughout the school. Seeping through the air vent, slipping between closed doors and glowing in watchful eyes.

Sunggyu, Woohyun and Saehee try their best to ignore the rumors but when the rumors are everything, it’s hard. They make sure it doesn’t affect their friendship but they’re all tired of suppressing and ignoring. There are scratches, cuts and even bruises. Maybe even internal bleeding but it doesn’t show on the outside.

 

 

*~*

 

 

Woohyun’s head falls on top of his Physic textbook and he sighs heavily. His eyelids are drooping over his eyes and he feels the effect of sleep coming. For some reason, he’s so tired.

 

 

*~*

 

 

The rumors die in a week and new ones replace them, but it still lingers at the back of everyone’s mind.

 

 

*~*

 

 

Spring break’s right around the corner and Sunggyu’s pushing his hand through the sleeves of his sweater. A good vocal class today as well. Lately, the teacher’s been trying a new technique with him. It’s hard but it’s refreshing and new. Sunggyu would go home and practice again and again until his voice is hoarse but he smiles because he likes it.

“Sunggyu, can you stay after a bit?” His teacher asks and Sunggyu nods.

“Lately, you’ve been working hard on your vocals and I can see your improvement,” she grins, opening her folder.

Sunggyu beams with happiness and bows, “Thank you.”

“There’s a competition that our company’s hosting exclusively for our students and I sent a demo of your singing. You’ve passed the preliminary round,” she says, smiling while handing him the paper. With school, student government and his friends, Sunggyu didn’t know anything about this. Sunggyu looks at the pink poster, reading every word on it. The prize was a huge amount of money and free classes for a year.

His heart’s beating in excitement at the chance thrown at him and he feels a big smile draw itself on his face. “Thank you for giving me this opportunity, thank you so much.” He’s shaking her hand now, his words all jumbled up and he feels jumpy right now. The teacher laughs at his happiness and puts her hand on his shoulder.

“It’s going to be hard but try your hardest, okay?” She says, “Don’t disappoint me.”

“I definitely won’t, thank you.”

Sunggyu’s practically smiling at all eyes during dinner. His parents are staring at each other in confusion and eventually happiness when their son tells them what’s happening.

“Good job Kiddo,” his sister praises while ruffling his hair.

“Thanks,” Sunggyu replies and feels like he’s at the peak of his happiness. Everything is perfect.

 

 

*~*

 


After Woohyun’s talk with his parents at dinner, he ponders the decision. It’s the first time he’s been so hesitant, but now, it seems so inviting.

Woohyun waits for Hoya as he hears the ring. Hoya picks up on the third ring. “Hey, what’s up?” Hoya asks and Woohyun smiles, grateful for him.

“Hey, I was wondering...”

“I’m listening,” Hoya responds.

“Would it be okay for me to be selfish again?”



----


A/N: I made a mistake, the next chapter will be the last one with an epilogue ^^; Thank you for supporting it for so long and I find that this story isn't centered around love but also friendship as well ^^ It's strange for me since most of my stories circulate around love but it is a nice change! Also, I got sick on my break ;A; and all I did was stay home...is that even possible?! D; 

 

@steviewonderbread: Thanks for the love! <3 Don't worry, I share the same view with you XD Sometimes I feel kinda ashame to say that I post here but yeah ;~~~; No offense though! 

@Sarangheyyy: That's how I picture all of the leaders of the group ;A; They have so many burdens and argh >< it's tragic T__T! How did you like Woohyun in this chapter ^^? I hope you like the update! and speaking of typos, did you see the rap in the first infinite teaser? LOL, it was hilarious! 

@Linouuu: The other members' feelings right now are probably conflicted - happy for sunggyu or sad for woohyun D; I guess that's how anyone would view the relationship if they saw it in real life T__T! Thanks for your love btw <33 I hope you like the update! 

@bluesmarties: your comment got deleted but I still remember it ^__^! First of all, thank you! I was already done writing it when you commented but your comment motivated me to nag my beta to edit it faster! :) I'm extremely happy to see that you like the character developement ~ Thank you again for your kind comment and I hope you enjoy the update!!