spy games

beginning of the end

sehun/oc with other exo members

they're ex-government spies for hire. things don't always go as planned.

 

 

 

 

The fine snowflakes settled on the nozzle of matte black barrel of Sehun’s rifle. It was a waiting game now that the United Nations Third Committee Member Imposter was pacing his room, waiting for his to arrive. Puzzlingly and to Sehun’s advantage, Dr. Jason Ulrich posted his guards outside of the room, locking himself in the bedroom. His expression and communications pattern betrayed no sign of distress or knowledge that in approximately four minutes, when his arrived, he would be flat on his back with a bullet to his forehead (right temple if Sehun could manage it because it was high time he won a bet or two at the office).

The snowy Paris afternoon was turning his nose pink and he sniffled slightly to stop the nasal dripping.

A static-y voice crackled in his left ear. “Base to Jumper. Do you need a tissue?”

“Chanyeol to Baekhyun. Stop distracting him and get back to—”

“Baekhyun to Chanyeol. Stop distracting me from—”

“Kyungsoo to both you motherers. Shut up, the motorcade is early.”

“Did you just call me—”

“Chen to Base! I intercepted a message and they are heading south on the main road, someone’s alerted them, anonymous tip from protected IP—ah . Sehun you’re gonna have to shoot him now or we pull out; they’re sending in SWAT and they’ll have us surrounded—” The static intensified and Chen’s voice bled out into crackles. Sehun pressed the earpiece, but it was just static; their own comms had been intercepted. He yanked it out of his ear, crushing it with his boot.

Crouching lower behind the roof’s array of ventilation units, he began disassembling his rifle, the blood rushing to his ears as he calculated the quickest and safest route to their rendezvous point at the end of the street. He probably had minutes at most and the old apartment building had two fire exits that faced away from the main road. Shouldering his bag, he made a bee line for the one that would exit onto an alleyway that winded diagonally onto the adjacent street. From there he could join the tourist groups that frequented the museums just a few blocks away.

An old building meant old, creaky, rusty, and untrustworthy fire escapes. Sehun sighed and hopped lightly down the metal landings, keeping his steps and jumps light and fast. At the bottom, he swung himself onto the last rung, feet dangling at least a couple meters above a giant puddle of half-melted snow. Grunting, he dropped himself and then broke into a fast walk towards the end of the alley.

“Not even thirty seconds…impressive.”

Sehun whipped around, hand hovering over his concealed handgun. The speaker was a young woman about his age, slight build, and looking like a tourist even, with a map in one hand and an umbrella in the other. The snowflakes were falling more heavily now and Sehun blinked as one caught his eyelash. How did he not see her?

Excusez-moi?”

She smiled and a brief frightening thought crossed his mind: it was pretty. She continued in Korean. “Your escape. It was impressive. Comms and planning though…less impressive.”

Excusez-moi?” he tried deducing it from her clothes but there was nothing that gave away how this person knew exactly what his motives were. He could tell from her stance that she was maybe a bit too confident and nonchalant about standing in front of a highly trained assassin.

“I’ve heard about you…well, mostly about your team. I just wanted to see what you were capable of with my own eyes.” She was getting closer now and he debated what to do. She stopped a foot away, umbrella shielding him from the snow.

Je suis desole, mademoiselle. Je ne sais pas ce que vous parlez…

“It was nice meeting you, Oh Sehun.” She began walking away. Turned back, “You should hurry to your rendezvous, messer. The motorcade is fast arriving…and they have your face on their dashboard.”

 

 

 

A snowy evening in Paris. Coffee and croissants next to the balcony. Tiny little bright colored umbrellas shuffling below.

Sehun could really get used to this.

“YAH! PARK CHANYEOL FOR THE LAST TIME STOP CHEATING.”

“JUST BECAUSE YOU’RE LOSING DOESN’T MEAN I’M CHEATING.”

“You and Chen were messing with the console last night! I’m calling off all the bets!”

“You can’t do that, you’re not the bet referee!”

“I am honorary bet referee because Joonmyeon is still taking his sweet time at the Cambridge Hospital. I’m calling off all the—mrmph—damn you Park—UGRH—”

Okay, he was really done with this.

“Did Joonmyeon send anything?”

Baekhyun looked up from his seat on Chanyeol’s back and smirked. “You’re still worried about the girl?”

“She knew all about our plans. She might’ve even set us up.” He fisted his hands and crossed his arms, eyes glaring outside the window. Oh Sehun had a nearly perfect track record. If someone had set them up for failure and was out to get them, then he was out for blood.

“Well, Joonmyeon didn’t send an urgent super encrypted code or anything so that means she’s not an immediate threat.”

Sehun grabbed his coat off the chair and shouldered his backpack.

“You going somewhere?” Chanyeol squeaked while facedown on the carpet.

Tucking stray tufts of hair under his beanie, Sehun nodded. “I might as well enjoy Paris while we’re here.”

“You’re lucky I cleared your face from the Parisian Police Force!” Chen called from the adjacent kitchenette.

“Thanks, hyung,” he replied halfway out the apartment door.

Chanyeol flipped over on his back, groaning as he stretched out his cramped muscles from Baekhyun’s attack. “He’s really stupid sometimes.”

Baekhyun shrugged, eyes trained on the TV screen. “He’s still a kid.”

“What do you think of the girl?”

Chen popped his head into the living room. “You know, she might have saved us. That imposter had a couple layers of backup yesterday, added last minute. We wouldn’t have made it out in time.”

Chanyeol sat up. “So she tipped them off to tip us off?”

The soft ping of Chen’s phone drew his attention away briefly. After reading the message, he grinned at them and held up his phone. It was a short message from Joonmyeon: “Friend. Don’t engage.”

 

 

 

Sehun’s phone pinged with the same message and he grit his teeth before veering away from the same alleyway he had encountered Umbrella Friend the day before. He trusted Joonmyeon. It was Joonmyeon who had picked him up after he dropped out of the Academy. It was Joonmyeon who tolerated his “lone wolf” attitude and gave him a spot on the team.

But the Umbrella Friend unnerved him. Perhaps it had more to do with his ego than the fact that she was a potential threat. He trudged through the snow and back to the hotel, nose running and tinged red with cold.

 

 

 

Joonmyeon joined them at the ancient train station somewhere in Northern England. While the rest of the team had parachuted out the back of Joonmyeon’s friend of a friend’s plane, their team leader picked them up in a sleek black Range Rover.

“Not going for subtle this time, are we?” Jongdae commented as he slid into shotgun.

Joonmyeon slapped his feet from touching the dashboard. “We’ve been hired by a private biotech company as private investigators. We have to look the part.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “How much are they offering?”

The car lurched out of the dirt rut of a curb. “Not much but they’re contracted by the government, so we’ll probably get some official intel.”

The ride to the facility was another two hours, and Sehun was getting more restless by the minute.

 

 

 

She joins Joonmyeon’s team as an ops specialist and helps him plan out stuff. They have to take down the corrupted gov’t agency that they previously trained under. The infiltration is really deep by a terrorist org. They work on rogue ops in between. She’s a great strategist and everyone on the team welcomes her, except Sehun who feels vulnerable because he doesn’t know her that well. They naturally develop feelings for each other after lots of arch nemesis scenes that Joonmyeon has to intervene and call them children to which Sehun is really offended b/c hyung~, I’m 20! Or 22, or whatever.

They find out infiltration is really deep, a member is almost killed, Chen finds that someone in the team leaked info. He tells Joonmyeon in private but Sehun overhears b/c he took a nap while practicing air vent reconnaisse? Anyway, turns out it’s Kana when their base is raided. She asks the bad boss guy to spare their lives, because if they’re put into questioning, they might have valuable info.

They all despise her for being a traitor. Joonmyeon feels really guilty and is quiet. Sehun is furious, he feels super betrayed and when she visits them to try and glean info about the major super ups, he is especially hostile and sarcastic. She says she’s sorry she had to lie to him and under different circumstances, maybe they could have been good friends. “There are no different circumstances now, are there?”

En route to a different base and perhaps bartering their lives with major ups, Sehun escapes into the city. Comes into contact with gov’t official who supposedly was going to trade national secrets for the team’s safety. Official pretends to cooperate with him, goal is to kill team and take out big bad boss guy at the same time.

During their raid of big bad boss’s base, Kana finds him (saves his from being shot and incurs a shot wound) and tries to convince him that the officials are going to kill the team. He doubts and they argue. Officials find them, big bad boss guys and team escaped. They threaten to shoot, but main officer says they have direct orders to not shoot. Sehun fears they’re going to torture her for questioning. He visits her at base hospital and she’s lost a lot of blood. He tries to ask her why she worked for big boss guy. She avoids those questions and says she probably doesn’t have long without Joonmyeon. She asks to talk as if nothing happened. He disagrees and leaves.

Mission to free team. (Team escapes on own. And tells Sehun what gov’t ready to kill them. They know too much. Something happens to resolve and reveal.

They save each other and Kana asks mundane question like “so how about them Jordans you were looking at the other day?”

“sold out on my size, I ordered the green ones.”

“green doesn’t suit you. You should get blue so we can match.”

End.