are you confessing right now?

beginning of the end

jongin/oc and other exo members

high school!au in which jongin is a hopeless romantic but can't see the real romance waiting right beside him.

 

 

Jongin barrels into the café and collapses into a heap at one of the booths, legs curling under himself as he tries to make his body as small as possible. Every inch of his skin was burning, particularly his face, and he really, really wanted someone to slap him and say “Just kidding, it’s all a dream! You didn’t just confess to Krystal Jung and she didn’t just reject you in front of the entire school! It’s okay, Jongin, you can raise your face to the sun again!” Instead, he thrashes about in the confined space and groans.

“Um, Jongin? Are you okay?”

“KANA. I’M GOING TO DIE. TELL ME I’M DEAD.” He buries his head deeper into his arms and squints his eyes shut. There’s an imperceptible sigh and the squeaking of leather. When he opens his eyes, Kana’s feet are across from him. It’s not another moment before one of those feet connects with his knee; he’s too busy dying to feel anything.

“Jongin, sit up and tell me what happened.”

“NEVER. WHY DID I EVEN TELL HER KANA. WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER TRYING.”

“Um…did you confess to Krystal Jung?”

He makes a whale noise and feels the cushion at his feet dip as Kana sits next to him.

“So you confessed.”

Another whale noise. She pats his ankle a few times before retracting her hand when she remembers he doesn’t wear socks.

“What did she say?”

“I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO SCHOOL KANA. YOU CAN HOMESCHOOL ME.”

Kana sighs and hesitantly pats his ankle again. “Jongin, stop screaming like you just witnessed a murder and sit up.”

Collecting the remnants of his pride, Jongin pulled himself into an acceptable sitting position and allowed Kana to rub circles on his back. It was only seconds before he collapsed into a heap on the table, emitting whale noises as if he were incapable of any human language.

“I knew you’d be here.” He felt the table move as Baekhyun sat opposite them and he knew without looking that the senior was smirking.

“Go away,” Jongin mumbles into the table.

Kana turns to Baekhyun, neglecting her back-rubbing duties for a second. “So how did the confession go?” Jongin wails again and she thumps him with her fist instead.

“He ditched dance practice to wait outside her class. Then professes his love and Krystal just stares at him like he’s a dehydrated snail.” Baekhyun twirls his non-existent curls and hides his smile behind his other hand. “‘I’m sorry Jongin but…you’re not my style.’ Our Jonginnie goes ‘HAHA we all wear the same uniform, Krystal!’ ‘Jongin please don’t do this kind of thing again.’”

“Oh.”

“Everyone and their cousin witnessed Kim Jongin’s now infamous rejection from Jung Krystal, I’d be surprised if it’s not news on tomorrow’s school radio broadcast.”

 

 

Kana is in love with him, but knows there’s no chance. She works at a café owned by Kris, Lu Han, Suho, etc because they are college students with lots of business plans (Flower Boy Café). They go to the same school together where Jongin is a prodigy dance student and Kana is just your average student who plays piano. No one really notices her but she’s been Jongin’s BFF since his freshman year. He hangs out a lot in the dance studio which is next to the piano practice room.

 

 

 

They go back to being “best friends” and Jongin realizes he actually can’t handle it. When he’s away from Kana he wonders what she’s doing, etc. He gets extremely jealous when Suho is a little too nice to her and death glares any guy who’s near her. So he avoids her hoping weird feelings go away.

Kana is attacked by some punks after work one day and Jongin saves the day. Protective scene yay! But Kana confesses that it’s too much for her and she doesn’t think she can be best friends with him. So he sulks and thinks he’s messed it up entirely. He whines to Baekhyun and he calls him royally stupid for not understanding what she meant.

So Jongin runs breathless to café and confesses once more but he’s kind of hyperventilating because what if it’s over please don’t be over and accept my feelings I was dumb and I’m sorry I hurt you—and now kiss! He’s having a hard time breathing though so he pulls away and he notices her face is really red, “Sorry I just need to breathe…okay so do you want to um kiss again…”