healer

beginning of the end

sehun/oc and other exo members

sehun is a Royal Guard. kana is a (his) Healer.

 

 

“He’s fond of you.”

“I’m sorry?”

“The Royal Guard Oh Sehun likes you.”

Kana stared wide-eyed at the Royal Guard Chanyeol, also known as her best friend, and punched him on the shoulder. “Don’t joke about things like that. Isn’t he your senior officer?”

Rubbing the sore spot on his arm, Chanyeol grimaced as he replied, “I’m not joking. And only because he does so well on those stupid evaluations.”

The idea of a Royal Guard, or anyone really, having feelings for her were unimaginable. Firstly, Kana spent most of her day in and out of the infirmary and classrooms, tending to patients and teaching beginner’s medicinal classes to young students. She was a higher ranked Healer than most of her peers, but there was always too much she still didn’t know. Thus her nights were spent in the library and her room. There was no real time to meet anyone, despite her grandmother’s desires for her to find a good man and marry off already.

“I’ve barely even met him.”

“You should see the way he looks at you, the love is practically oozing out of his eyes.” Chanyeol demonstrated with his hands.

Kana packed up his medical supplies and shoved it at him. “You forget that he only has one expression.”

Chanyeol shrugged. “Don’t take advice from the love doctor then.” He strapped the pack onto his already overflowing backpack.

“I don’t think I can take advice from a love doctor who had such a nasty fallout with his ex-Baekhyunnie.”

“Touché.”

The continued bickering until they reached the main hanger where the rest of the Royal Guards were preparing to board their respective planes. Kana walked Chanyeol to his, a carrier emblazoned with a Phoenix, one that Chanyeol promised to “take for spins” one day. The familiar fear of losing her best friend while he was out fighting rose in the form of bile in Kana’s throat.

Before she could wish him good luck, he stood up straight and did salute. Kana turned around and saw Sehun walking towards them, looking rather handsome in his uniform despite his lanky body. His expression was serious, as always, and she couldn’t help but wonder why he didn’t smile more often. He did look much better with his crescent eyes and pearly whites in a smile. She had only seen it once when the Royal Guards were celebrating after the appointment of their new Senior Officers.

He stopped next to them and nodded to both. “Chanyeol. Healer Kana.”

That was another thing that made Kana doubt Chanyeol’s ridiculous theory. Sehun always addressed her as “Healer Kana”. Only important documents called her that. It seemed he was intent on keeping a professional distance.

So Kana kept it up as well. “Officer Sehun.”

“What are you doing in the hanger?”

She punched Chanyeol’s shoulder. “I’m seeing Chanyeol off.”

“Oh.” Was there disappointment in his voice?

Kana turned to Chanyeol and was met with his teasing smile. “You better come back in one piece.”

He winked. “Will do.”

Turning to Sehun, “You, um, come back in one piece too…Officer Sehun.”

“I always do.” Was it just her or was he smirking?

When Sehun walked away, Chanyeol nudged her in the ribs hard. Sehun was smirking.

 

Chanyeol comes back with injuries. Punches him lightly, “I told you to come back in one piece.” Baekhyun finds out and comes to stay by his bedside. She can tell they still like each other.

As she walks out of the hospital room, she runs into Sehun and freaks out because did he get injured too, she didn’t get a chance to check the injuries roster because Chanyeol came back and she was too freaked out to function.

He just cut his hand and she checks it out, lathering on some scar cream so it won’t scar as much.

"How did you get it?"

"I tripped on the stairs."

"That must have hurt, wait what the stairs?" He nods and she bites back her laughter. "Sorry I just keep thinking in terms of life and death."

"It’s not that bad you know."

"Life and death?"

"No, out there, on the field, it’s not that bad. Most of the time we’re in our planes. I don’t really think about it, I just focus on getting the mission done."

"What about getting hit?"

"Getting hit is not life and death, it’s an inconvenience." Suddenly she thinks he’s too young to be so jaded about life and death.

"Maybe I should be as desensitized…"

"No, it’s admirable that you and Chanyeol are together despite—"

"Wait, Chanyeol and me…together? He’s my best friend! AND he’s been…well, he was, although I’m pretty sure that’s going to change now…dating Baekhyun."

They part and she reminds him to come back the next day (totally unnecessary but he does anyway). He even visits his hurt crew and other hurt crew daily so he can spend time with her; they find out a lot about each other, like quirks and stuff. When he’s pretty much healed, he’s run out of excuses to be at the infirmary.

Before he can ask her out though, there’s another battle and he has to go. She shows up at the hanger with Chanyeol, but Baekhyun comes (he isn’t deployed) and she leaves them alone. She searches for Sehun but he avoids her.

They return from a nasty battle. Kana is more composed, she gets a look at the list and finds Sehun’s name and freaks out. He’s in ICU, above her expertise so she can only work to keep busy. When she gets to visit him, he’s pretty tired but tries to sit up. He looks incredibly weak and young and she holds back her tears as she sits beside him, carding her fingers through his hair.

"This makes me wish I had been able to wish you good luck…and demand that you come back in one piece."

"I’m sorry."

"For what?"

"I was avoiding you that day. I wasn’t sure if I was going to come back after reading the stats report. I didn’t want the hanger to be the last time we saw each other."

"So you’d rather we not see each other at all. If you weren’t bandaged up right now I’d punch you."

"How long are they keeping me here?"

"A few weeks maybe. Why do you look so happy about that?"

"Before the last battle, I was never the Senior Officer to visit the hospital daily to check up on his crew."

"Did you have some great epiphany about having feelings?"

"No, it was just an excuse to see you."

"You’re embarrassing. Why are you confessing all of this now?"

You make me worry about life and death. “I figure I’d run out of excuses eventually.”

"There are other ways to meet you know."

"So after a few weeks maybe, shall we meet elsewhere?"

"Maybe." She kisses his cheek before she leaves.