Play the Game

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I’ve always hated Jackson, since the day I found out my sister was dating him; the biggest douchebag in history. And my hatred has finally reached its peak when he cheated on her. But what really triggered my killer instinct was something that he said, the night when my sister finally broke up with him.

 

“I went out with you just for , but you ,” was what he told her.

 

I heard everything, and I remember everything.

 

So I planned to seek revenge. It was only to teach him a lesson, that’s it. I’ve always known how he earns his income every month; by dealing. So I told the cops everything he’s been doing, along with the evidence that I’ve kept with me since the day he dated my sister.

 

But Jackson isn’t just a dealer. And my biggest mistake is I’ve failed to see that one crucial thing.

 

“You won’t be here tonight?” I stare at Junsu in utter horror.

 

Junsu nods. “We’re doing the final project. It’s gonna take quite some time so I’ll probably be back around 6 in the morning.”

 

You’ve got to be kidding me. Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, Junsu just have to go out on the day Jackson gets out of prison. The way things are going, I might be having a funeral day sooner than I expected. Maybe I should just give up and enjoy the last day of my 22 years life? Donghae won’t help me, and Jackson will be out in a few hours. So basically, I’m just waiting for the Death God to pick me up.

 

“Don’t forget your keys,” I remind him.

 

There’s a possibility he’d find my mutilated corpse the next morning, but oh well, I’ve lived a great life. Probably.

 

“You need anything?” Junsu asks. “I’m gonna stop by at the mall first. Taemin’s been stealing my toothpaste and I’m out of stock now.”

 

Oh, sure. Maybe you can get a coffin for me.

 

“Nope, I’m good. See you later,” I tell him. I glance at my watch. It’s almost two. There’s still no sign of Jackson, which means I’m safe for now.

 

As I walk along the hallway, I glance around me, watching out for anyone who might seem suspicious. Jackson has a lot of people working for him. I stand no chance against him, and I’m starting to think that maybe I should give myself up and end this game of tag. Wouldn’t that be easier? There’s no point of doing this. Even if I put Jackson in prison for another 10 times, he’d still be able to get out. And I have nowhere to run.

 

I wasn’t doing it just for the sake of revenge. I give no about his illegal activities, but he needs to be taught a lesson. ‘Cos I’ve had enough seeing both my mother and sister having their lives destroyed by the men they used to love.

 

“Screw everything,” I mutter. I don’t care anymore. Whatever happens, happens.

 

I hold in a breath and exhale loudly, as I head down the steps to the main building entrance. When I get to the parking lot, the first thing that I see is the sight of Donghae the Bastard leaning against his car, scrolling through his phone. Way to ruin my already ruined evening. I certainly do not want to see his face after my failed negotiation with him, but too bad, he’s already seen me. I should’ve left and pretended like I’ve never known him, but something stops me.

 

Something I wish I’d never see.

 

Right across where I’m currently standing, there’s a familiar blazing red Corvette parked there, and that’s when I suddenly feel my world has finally come to an end. Right next to the car, there’s Jackson, with his hateful, wicked smirk, staring right at me. Oh .

 

He’s here. Jackson is back.

 

“Having a bad day?” Donghae suddenly says, smirking.

 

“ off,” I glare at him.

 

I throw another glance at Jackson who’s still staring daggers at me, and then I turn around, hoping I can make a run for my life while I still have the time. But Donghae suddenly stops me, motioning for me to come closer.

 

“What?” I frown.

 

“Come here,” he says. “I thought you told me not to let him kill you.”

 

“But you said-“

 

Donghae pulls me to his side before I can finish, casually wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I hate having him this close to me, but the plan seems to be working perfectly, because I’m pretty sure Jackson looks a little surprised just now. His attention is no longer on me, but on Donghae. I have no idea what their story is, but it certainly doesn’t seem good.

 

After what felt like a very long glaring contest between them, Jackson finally moves away and gets into his car, but not before giving one last deadly glare at us.

 

Phew. That was intense.

 

“Not too hard, huh?” Donghae says.

 

“Have you gone nuts or something?” I say, prying his muscular arm off my shoulder.

 

“Is that how you thank me?”

 

“Last time I heard you weren’t going to give a about this. What’s with the change of mind?”

 

“Easy there, munchkin. It’s all about the fun.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter