Within You

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The ride back to Donghae’s place is quiet – not that it’s bothering me or anything since I’m used to Donghae’s silence – but I’ve been itching to ask him questions, a lot of questions. He has this habit of keeping everything to himself, but whether it’s because he doesn’t trust people or he’s just that way, I have no idea. But he did let me into his apartment though, despite barely knowing anything about each other. Not that I’m complaining, since right now nothing scares me more than Jackson’s stupid revenge plan, but I’m curious as to why he was fine with me barging into his place.

 

“You need anything?” he asks, tapping his fingers on the wheel as he slows down at the traffic light. “I could drop by the store.”

 

“No, I’m fine.”

 

“You look like you have a lot to say,” he glances at me, flashing a tiny smile when our eyes meet.

 

“Well, obviously,” I say, my voice heavy with sarcasm. “You seem to love keeping secrets.”

 

“I don’t mind you asking, you know.”

 

I turn to face him, frowning. “Really?”

 

“Ask me and I’ll tell you whatever it is you want to know.”

 

“Okay, then... let’s start from Heechul, I guess?”

 

“Well, like he said, we’ve known each other for years. We were in the same middle and high school, lived in the same neighbourhood and we both had a knack for getting into troubles and fights so we got along pretty well.”

 

“I can imagine,” I roll my eyes at him. “Was he part of a gang or something?”

 

“He was. He might look like that but he had the strength of a beast that guy. We were... well, we were both troubled kids, so when he first got involved with the underground , I kind of followed suit too. I guess I just wanted to get away from everything, and I needed the money,” he pauses as he glances at me, as if trying to catch my reaction, before adding, “He’s retired now though, just a normal businessman managing restaurants.”

 

I stare at him for a second, studying his calm demeanour, like it doesn’t bother him at all. But then again, he’s good at masking his expressions, so I can’t tell for sure. “Why did he quit?”

 

“I guess he got tired of it. The underground world, I mean.”

 

“Will you quit too?”

 

Donghae looks a little baffled at first, but relaxed almost immediately when he looks at me. “Do you want me to?”

 

“I...” I look down at my lap, fiddling with my fingers. “I do, actually. I just... I mean, I think it’s dangerous, you know. Like, you’ll never know what’s going to happen, or what might be waiting for you. And I’m worried. I don’t want to see you coming back with blood all over you.”

 

It’s suddenly gotten quiet in the car, and it takes me a few seconds to realize what I’ve just blurted out. Didn’t that sound just like a freaking love confession?! Oh lord, please save me from this embarrassment that I’ve caused myself. I don’t even know what possessed me to speak so bluntly like that.

 

“So... you’re worried about me,” Donghae suddenly says, with a content smile spread over his face.

 

“Well, it’s... it’s just... I mean-“

 

“I heard you the first time, Hyukjae. And sure, I’m quitting as soon as I’m done with the last job.”

 

“You are?”

 

“What’s with the surprised look?”

 

“But... but why?”

 

“What do you mean why? You asked me to.”

 

“But why would you listen to me?”

 

Donghae raises an eyebrow at me, looking rather amused as he shakes his head lightly. “You know, for someone who’s so smart, you can be really dense.”

 

“Is that a compliment or an insult?”

 

“Both,” he smirks. “You really think I’d let anyone into my house and ask me some personal I wouldn’t tell other people?”

 

“What?”

 

“Look, I’m not the most romantic guy out there, but right now I’m asking if you really can’t figure out what I think of you.”

 

I feel like my heart is about to burst from beating so fast as I look at Donghae wide eyed, his words ringing in my head again and again. Do I have some hearing problems, or is this guy seriously trying to tell me that he has feelings for me? When all this time I’ve been dreading the fact that I’m having a one-sided love? Or maybe I’m going crazy because I’m just hearing things I want to hear?

 

But my thoughts are cut short when his phone rings, ending the sudden silence. Donghae mutters something under his breath as he reaches for his phone on the dashboard, frowning as soon as he sees the caller ID.

 

“What?” he answers, annoyance clear in voice. “No, I don’t. Didn’t I clear that up already?”

 

I fidget uncomfortably in my seat, hoping that I wouldn’t have to listen in to his conversation, but there’s really nowhere else I can go when we’re both still stuck in the car.

 

“I’ve done my part. Now do yours,” he says, immediately ending the call before throwing his phone back onto the dashboard again.

 

“Is everything okay?” I ask warily, studying his tense face.

 

“It’s nothing,” he instantly puts on a smile when he glances at me, as if to assure me that everything is fine.

 

* * * * *

 

 

Donghae doesn’t really say much after the conversation we had yesterday, which makes me wonder if I was just hearing things. But there’s something that I’ve managed to notice, and that is how he acts around me. He’s being even gentler to me – not that he wasn’t nice before, because he was – but he’s even nicer now.

 

I don’t want to sound like a delusional narcissist, but it almost seems like he’s being romantic and I don’t know how much my heart can take all these sudden sweet acts that leave butterflies in my stomach. He opens doors for me, stares at me like I’m the most precious thing in the world, allows me to use his belongings as I please, not to mention he also buys chocolates for me, and often stays close, closer than he’s ever been before. Should I take it as a good sign or am I misinterpreting his actions?

 

“How many classes do you have today?” Donghae asks as soon as we arrive at the campus, finally facing the dreadful Monday.

 

I notice the stares we’re getting as we walk into the main building, probably wondering why Donghae is hanging out with a junior. They probably either think I’m a meth addict or a dealer, but whatever, I’m too preoccupied thinking about Donghae to bother about anything else at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter