Behind the Veils

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I realize that I’m no longer at the bar as soon as I wake up, greeted the crazy pounding in my head and the soreness all over my body. I’m not at Donghae’s apartment either. Where the hell am I?

 

I open my eyes wider, trying to get a better view of my surrounding. Everything looks white, and there is something attached to my arm, something sharp and cold. An IV drip? I frown when I finally get to see the IV stand beside the bed. I was supposed to be at the bar with Donghae, so why am I in a hospital? I force myself to sit up, holding onto the headboard to keep my balance. I rub my throat, wincing when I realize how sore and dry it feels.

 

Did I throw up? Did Donghae help me?

 

Panic rises in me right then, because I can’t seem to remember a ing thing from last night after we left the bar. Well I do remember vaguely how Donghae was trying to get me home and I was being stubborn and... Well, whatever I did last night, let’s just hope he wouldn’t take it to heart. I swear I’m never gonna go near alcohol again. I was desperate last night. I needed a distraction, so I turn to the only way I thought could help me feel better.

 

Apparently not. It’s only getting worse, though I can only blame myself for this.

 

I lift my head up when I hear a faint voice talking, and somehow I’m a little surprised at the sight of Donghae standing at the window while talking on the phone, his back facing me. I’d never thought he’d still be here, and what’s more he’s on the phone. So he does have someone he talks to. I mean, I’ve never seen him calling anyone before, at least not in front of me.

 

“Everything’s fine,” he says. “No, it wasn’t like that.”

 

I know I shouldn’t be eavesdropping on his conversation, but he’s right there and I can’t really pretend I can’t hear anything, can I? He should’ve just talked somewhere else if he doesn’t want people to listen.

 

“I won’t let anything happen to him.”

 

Him? Who is he talking about? Okay, now I’m getting curious. Who’d have thought he has this side of him too?

 

Donghae turns around just then, as if sensing me watching him, and says something I can’t really make out in a low voice, before ending the call. Okay, so he hates people meddling with his personal business. I get it. It’s understandable, but I can’t help feeling a little annoyed when he did that. Though I have no idea why. I have no reasons to care, so I shouldn’t really bother.

 

“You should get some more sleep,” he makes his way towards me, his lips curving into a tiny smile. “You look like .”

 

“Thanks,” I glare at him. “What in the world happened though? My head’s a little...hazy.”

 

“You passed out,” he sits on the bed, close enough for me to smell his cologne. “You have gastritis. And dehydrated. You probably knew that already though.”

 

Well, no wonder this happened. I kind of forgot about my gastritis and I hadn’t had any meals before drinking last night, so basically, I reap what I sow, right?

 

“Sorry,” I say weakly, as I lean back against the headboard. “I can’t remember anything, but if I did something last night, I’m sorry. I mean, it’s my problem and I dragged you into it, so there’s really no need for you to help me. You probably have other important things to do, so, um, what I’m trying to say is, you really don’t have to do this.”

 

“Well, you’re one of those important things,” he casually says.

 

I blink once, and then twice, and then suddenly the room goes completely silent, the sounds around me disappear into nothing. I look at Donghae, surprised, and he stares back with that intense, piercing gaze of his, leaving a strange fluttering feeling inside me. What did he mean by that? Is he telling me that I’m important to him?

 

Wait, no, I’m obviously overthinking this. This is Donghae. That Lee Donghae. So there’s no freaking way that there’s a deeper meaning behind those words. He was probably just being considerate seeing my pathetic state.

 

“Uh,” I clear my throat, as I look down at my hand attached to the IV drip. This is awkward. “What about the bill?”

 

“I’ve taken care of it.”

 

“Okay, now I really feel bad. I’m definitely going to pay you back, so-“

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“But-“

 

“I said it’s fine, Hyukjae.”

 

“You spend money like it’s nothing,” I fold my arms across my chest, giving him a disapproving look. “How rich are you anyway?”

 

“Rich enough,” he smirks.

 

I’m gradually getting annoyed with the way he answers my questions, because he’s obviously avoiding my every attempt to get to know more about him. Seriously, what exactly is wrong with me wanting to know what he’s actually like behind those dark rumours I’ve heard? Someone who’s willing to go this far to help someone else can’t be that bad of a person, at least that’s what I thought.

 

But Donghae doesn’t seem to have any intention to let me close. Well, it’s not like we’re good friends in the first place. And I’ve been wondering too, why he’d want to help, when he was the one who refused to at first. He’s full of secrets and mysteries, but after all this time I’ve been with him, I’ve never even once felt threatened by him.

 

Strange, but true.

 

“So, who were you talking to just now?” I’m giving it another try. Though I’m sure he’s just gonna brush it off again.

 

“No one.”

 

“Sorry, not my business, I get it.” I must’ve sounded annoyed, because he suddenly gives me this strange, unreadable look, that makes me feel like slapping myself for saying it.

 

“So when do I get to leave?” I immediately change the topic, not wanting to make things even more awkward than it already is. He doesn’t answer right away, but he keeps his eyes on me, leaving me a little flustered. What’s with him?

 

“Anytime,” he replies, finally darting his eyes away. “Unless you’re still not feeling good.”

 

“I’m fine. Let’s leave now, I don’t like it here.”

 

“You sure?”

 

“Totally.”

 

“Fine,” he looks a little reluctant, as he gets up on his feet and grabs his jacket, before handing it to me. “Put it on.”

 

“You’re kind of weird,” I narrow my eyes at him, but I take it anyway. It’s cold as in here, that I’m starting to tremble.

 

He chuckles. “How so?”

 

“You seem... gentler.”

 

“What’s wrong with me being gentle?”

 

“You were so cold when I first came to you.”

 

“Well then I’m sorry for being cold.”

 

I’m not sure if he’s being serious or he’s only making fun of me, but seeing that little smirk on his lips I guess I shouldn’t have thought too much. I shoot him a glare, which he returns with a playful wink. Can he be serious at least once? The only time I find him intimidating was when he was facing Jackson and wrecked his Corvette with a baseball bat. It makes me wonder sometimes, which is the real him.

 

“Wait here, I’m gonna see the doctor first,” he says, making his way to the door. “Don’t go anywhere, munchkin.”

 

“Stop calling me that!”

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

“You really don’t have to do this,” I tell Donghae, as he leads me into his apartment.

 

He still insisted that I stay at his place for at least another two days before I go back to the dorm, and truthfully though, I’m kind of glad. I’m not sure if I’m ready to face the reality of having my laptop broken by that motherer Jackson. But I feel a little bad though. Should I really be intruding his space when he clearly doesn’t like people getting close to his personal life?

 

Donghae doesn’t respond as he goes straight into his room, while I make myself comfortable on the couch. I rarely spend a night at someone else’s house, but I don’t want to be at the dorm either. At least for now

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter