The Odds

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Remember this.” Jackson’s low, threatening tone from that chilly night still echoes in my head, haunting my every move. “You’ve made a big mistake. And you’ll regret this. When I get out, I’ll make your life a complete hell, Hyukjae.”

 

And yes, thanks to that, I’ve been living like a rat trapped inside its own hole for almost a month now. I glance down at my book, staring at the empty blank space again, like I’ve been doing for the past few minutes. I’ve been trying to get my work done, but the only thing I can think about right now is how to face a disaster coming my way soon, very soon.

 

It was obviously a mistake. My mistake. I know that. I, of all people, should’ve known how dangerous Jackson is, and I should’ve just stayed away. But I was stubborn. I’ve always been stubborn, and I really hate that side of me. I shouldn’t have messed with him, but I still did. And look what I’ve gotten myself into.

 

“What’s with you?” Junsu, my roommate suddenly appears out of nowhere, taking a seat across me. Among all of my friends, he’s the closest, and probably the noisiest. “You look like you’ve been zombified, you know. Stop staring into space, it scares me.”

 

“I was just thinking,” I say half-heartedly.

 

“About what?”

 

“Nothing important.”

 

“You’ve been acting strange lately,” Junsu shoves a handful of freshly baked popcorn into his mouth, leaving some of them dropping onto my books.

 

Gross. 

 

“I’m just tired. Nothing to be worried about.”

 

As if. I’ve got my life on the line here, but the last thing I want is to get other people involved with my own problem.

 

“Is this about Jackson the Ripper?”

 

Bingo.

 

I used to laugh at the nickname Junsu has specially made up for him, but I don’t feel like having fun right now. Not when I’m facing the risk of dying a horrific death anytime soon.

 

“I’ve no idea what happened between you two,” Junsu says, “But don’t get involved with him, Hyukjae. He’s dangerous.”

 

Too bad, I already got myself involved.

 

I grit my teeth when the image of Jackson’s dark, deadly gaze flashes through my mind, sending shiver down my spine. “I hate it.”

 

“Hate what?”

 

“I hate that he’s taking control of everything. I ing hate it.”

 

“Well, not everything,” Junsu smirks.

 

I arch an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

 

“Lee Donghae,” Junsu says, “Jackson has always felt threatened by him.”

 

“So?”

 

“Not that I’m encouraging you or anything, but if you’re that bothered by Jackson for whatever the reason is, why don’t you ask Donghae the Dark Lord for help?”

 

I stare at Junsu wide eyed. Talk about hilarious. Is he telling me to seek help from a monster to save myself from another ing monster?

 

But then again, Junsu doesn’t know anything. He’s seen me with Jackson together before, but he has no absolute idea of what exactly happened that night. The night when I turned the mighty Jackson’s life into a complete mess.

 

He can’t possibly do anything right now, since he’s still in jail, but I doubt he’s going to stay in there for two whole months. Jackson has a lot of connections. I have a feeling he’ll be out anytime soon, and when that time comes, I’ll be a dead meat.

 

“You’re spacing out again,” Junsu snaps his fingers, and I finally revert back to reality. “Come on Hyukjae, it’s just Jackson. What could he possibly do?”

 

A lot of things you could never imagine, I mentally say. I know Jackson. He’s the type who’d go to any length to get rid of someone who messes with him. And I’ve just successfully managed to get into that list.

 

“I better get some food,” I say weakly as I gather my things, and put them sloppily into my bag. I’m practically drained out, even though it’s only half past noon. “Come on, I don’t want to be alone.”

 

“Wow, that’s new,” Junsu looks amused, but he gets up anyway. “You sure you’re okay? You look kinda pale.”

 

I show him a thumb-up sign, but I can see my hand shaking.

 

.

 

Jackson really got to me. He managed to make my life a complete hell, just like he’s promised. He’s not even here and I’m already at my wit’s end. What will become of me once he’s out?

 

“Get a grip, Hyukjae,” I whisper to myself, as I head to the main hall with Junsu.

 

I’ve never even once felt so scared like this, like I’m being haunted. I’m not weak, I’ve had my fair share of punches too. But Jackson is a different story. But then again, who else is there to blame? I started everything, and I have to pay for what I did.

 

“Earth to, buddy,” Junsu taps my shoulder when we enter the packed dining hall, probably noticing that I’m spacing out again.

 

This is bad. Jackson’s affecting me more than I expected, and I can’t let this go on. I need to get a hold of myself. Upon seeing an empty table at the corner, I head there straight away, hoping to get a quick rest before my second class starts.

 

“You go first,” I tell Junsu, “I need to clear my head.”

 

“Yeah, you do that. ‘Cos I hate having to feel like there’s a zombie walking next to me.”

 

I laugh at Junsu’s words, but it sounds so bitter in my ears. Well, who can stay calm when you’re about to die?

 

“Forget it,” Junsu sighs and sits down. “I’m not going to waste my time lining up at the counter. Let’s just wait for the puddings. They’ll be out in a few minutes.”

 

“10 minutes, actually,” I say, as I turn my head towards some of the third year students walking in, totally giving off an intimidating vibe.

 

I know them. Jackson’s lackeys. Crap. Let’s just hope they know nothing about what’s happened between us.

 

“Hey, move it,” one of them approaches a freshman sitting right next to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter