Chapter 3

It's Our Life

A few stuffy days had passed by and Soojin wanted to leave the palace again, go to her place of serenity. It was well overdue and she needed the space to relax herself once more.

“Jung ah I will be leaving now”

“Okay, be sure to keep safe.”

Soojin nodded and turned to leave only to stop when she heard Jung ah call her name.

“Yes Jung ah” Soojin answered.

“…what if you see him again?”

Soojin was so eager to go to leave she had forgotten about the possibility of meeting anyone again, particularly Jongin.

“I’m sure he won’t be there, I highly doubt that.” she gave an indecisive answer.

“Ok, but what if?”

“…well…he didn’t look that harmful…I don’t know…but I’m still going”

Jung ah didn’t want to keep anymore of Soojin’s time so she let go and accepted the fact that she was going to go despite anything she said.

“It’s your choice but please remember to keep safe, Ok?”

“Yes Jung ah, I will leaving now…for real this time” Soojin smiled as she went on her way.

**********

Soojin arrived at her place of tranquillity and found it unoccupied, just like she found it and liked it. She walked to the grass that the sun was mostly shining on, wanting to soak in its heat. She sat down on it and absorbed the rays. Soojin closed her eyes and smiled to herself using the heat as a remedy as if it was slowing rejuvenating her cloudy spirit.

Immersed in the refreshing sensation Soojin soon felt that the sun wasn’t shining on her anymore and the orange-red haze from behind her eyes had darkened. She opened and squinted her eyes before she looked up to what was blocking the heat only to be faced with the boy from before, the touchy stranger, Kim Jongin.

Soojin immediately raised to her feet and stared wide eyed at the boy.

“w…w…what are you doing at my place again?” She managed to speak.

“Your place? You don’t happen to own the forest do you?” he lifted a grin.

“How did you find this place?”

“The same way you found it.”

Soojin began to get annoyed at all his smart comebacks, it was seriously driving her up the wall, and on top of that she was concerned of how to get him away.

Jongin had stepped forward towards Soojin causing her to flinch. She saw him coming for her and closed her eyes gripping on the material of her hanbok, her breath quickening.

“Miss are you alright?”

Soojin slowly opened her eyes to be met with the concerned face of Kim Jongin. It was a different reaction from all the sarcastic responses she had gotten from him before. He actually looked concerned--for her.

“There was something in your head” he said showing her the leaf that had somehow landed in her hair.

Soojin mouth moved wordlessly. She had gotten scared for no reason, he was just helping her.

“Thank you” she quietly muttered.

“No problem…but what’s a young girl like you doing inside the woods. Aren’t you scared?

“What’s a young boy like you doing inside the woods, Aren’t you scared?” She countered surprising herself as to where she had got the voice.

Jongin watched her face and broke into a chuckle causing Soojin to squint her eyes at him.

“Why are you laughing?” she asked, generally wanting know what had caused him to.

“You.”

 “Me?” Soojin pointed to herself.

“Yes. One second you’re nervous and the next you’re very bold”

“I am?” Soojin whispered to herself as she fumbled with her fingers.

“Look, you’re nervous again” he pointed out the change in her character.

Soojin continue to fumble with her fingers not knowing how to react to the newly discovered information; that was in fact true.

“So Tofu, what’s brings the young girl into the big forest”, Jongin walked over to a lake to take a seat on the edge, he turned to look at Soojin awaiting her answer.

“Tofu?” Soojin questioned.

“Yes Tofu. Since you don’t want to tell me your name I’ll call you Tofu. White and fluffy” He grinned.

“Don’t call me that.”

“So you’re going to tell me your name” he asked anticipated 

“No”

“So Tofu it is!” he exclaimed, “I’m still waiting for an answer”

“One thing for sure I didn’t come here to answer questions, I came here to relax but can’t seem to do so as you are here. So if you will excuse me I will be leaving.” Soojin pronounced before she turned to walk away not sparing Jongin a response.

And like before Jongin didn’t stop Soojin, however, once Soojin was far away enough he shouted something which caused her to scrunch her face and quicken the pace.

“You do know you answered the question!”

**********

Soojin had made it back to the palace with no problems and was going to take a well needed soak in order to release all the tension from her encounter with Jongin. He really knew how to drain all her energy. Upon reaching the bathroom door she heard the doors knock and voice informing her that someone was there to see her. Not waiting for the Soojin to answer the doors opened revealing Queen Yeon Joo who invited herself in.

“Queen Yeon Joo” Soojin bowed to the superior.

Queen Yeon Joo passed Soojin and entered her room, completely ignoring her. Soojin made nothing of the treatment and went to close the door. She walked over to where Queen Yeon Joo was standing and waited for her to speak.

“Here.” Queen Yeon Joo pushed out her hands.

Soojin looked down to the clothes that occupied her hands. She outstretched her hands and took the clothes from Queen Yeon Joo’s grip, slowly the material, it was better fabrics than her usual hanboks.

“You will wear this when the guest arrives.”

“Wouldn’t my other hanboks’ be fitting to wear?”

“Don’t ask questions and do as you’re told. Make sure you dress yourself well.”

Queen Yeon Joo moved closer towards the Soojin and inspected her face.

“And be sure you wear a lot of makeup.”

Queen Yeon Joo had delivered what she needed to and spent not another second in the room. Soojin inspected the hanbok in her hands and placed it with all her others before she set towards the bathroom.

*********

Two weeks had flown by in no time and it was time for the ‘important’ visitor to make his grand appearance. Many preparations had been made, a bit much Soojin would have thought for a simply welcome.

Being told to deck up Soojin dressed in the vibrant green hanbok the Queen had given her. Although she had many hanboks she did really like this one, it had definitely surpassed the others. The hanbok had gold stitching that kept the green silk materials together and a cream flower design was placed around the bottom perimeter outlined in ruby red thread. The colours perfectly complimented her milky skin.

Soojin’s face was dusted with the finest of face powders completely covering any imperfection; if she had possessed any. It was the perfect canvas which held her light brown eyes that contrasted with the black kohl that smeared across her waterline, lips that were painted bright red which immediately attracted attention to the plump heart shape and cheeks flushed a subtle pink, which was the only thing toned down.

Looking into the mirror Soojin hadn’t realise the girl staring back at her.  

“The guest is nearing, you need to hurry up Soojin” Jung ah informed, afraid of her becoming late for the welcome.

“I’ll be there soon”

Soojin checked herself for the last time ensuring that she was presentable enough. The last thing she would want was Queen Yeon Joo criticising on how she had put herself together.

“You look fine” Jung ah assured the worried girl stepping forward to closely analyse her face.

“Although I must say you are wearing a bit much makeup, why do you have to wear so much for such a small event? I understand that a guest is coming here for the first time in forever but is this much preparation really needed. “Jung ah expressed her thoughts on the whole situation. “If I didn’t know all this information I would have thought you were meeting a potential companion. I mean, how important could they be for all this?” she continued muttering under her breath.

“It was an order from the Queen” Soojin stated.

“You look better without it.”

It wasn’t that Jung ah was being rude, Soojin had thought so as well. To her nothing was better than a fresh bare face, she was fine with the way she looked.  

“Anyways you need to get going before you’re late.”

**********

Soojin knew she should have listened to Jung ah telling her to hurry up because now she was sure that she wasn’t going to be on time.

As Soojin walked to where she had been called to Jung ah’s words from earlier started to play back in the back of her head. What she had said was true. Why did she have to deck up so much for a simply welcome?

She hurried her steps as she saw that the King Hae Jong, Queen Yeon Joo and Prince Yonghyun come into view. They had made it to the scene on time.

“I’ve arrived” Soojin spoke gaining their attention.

She was meet with stares, different stares.

King Hae Jong inspected her from head to toe as he cocked a brow, Queen Yeon Joo frowned then turned her attention back ahead of her and Prince Yonghyun simply stared at Soojin before he cracked a small smile.

“You’re late.” King Hae Jong spoke with authority.

Jung ah wasn’t reminding Soojin for no reason, she knew that it was logic that one should never be late, especially if it was the King waiting.

“Sorry Your Highness. I was ensuring that I was well presentable. It most certainly won’t happen again.” Soojin bowed showing her remorse. 

The guest is arriving.

Everyone turned their attention as they heard the announcement, soon forgetting Soojin’s late coming.

Soojin anticipated the arrival. Two weeks had finally come and now it was the time for the big reveal. She watched as the palanquin was carried through the gate of the palace and placed at the end of the stairs in which the royal family remained, at the top. They all stand to watch as the bearers of the palanquin open the curtains which covered the being.

A figure soon emerged from the Palanquin his face still covered by his heukrip.

By the way they had dressed it was sure to be a man. He stated to climb the stairs, his face stilled covered. As he neared the top he tilted his head up a little allowing Soojin to see his face, but not enough of it.

Finally making it up the stairs the being bowed.

“Your Highness, King Hae Jong. Your Highness, Queen Yeon Joo” the man spoke.

He returned to his original stance and greeted the royal family with a smile, finally allowing Soojin to see his face.

There stood a male with a few years marked across his face who looked like he was in the same ages as the King. The face owned a dark beard with streaks of grey seeping through, which contrasted with his pasty skin. His narrow eyes were shaded dark brown which was held by the subtle bags beneath them. This was the important guest.

“It’s been a long time Minister Joo” King Hae Jong smiled as he made his guest feel welcomed.

“Yes it has, a very long time. I’ve seen that Prince Yonghyun has grown into a respectable man, just like his father.” Minister Joo recognises the Crown Prince.  “He will make a fine King one day.”

The two males exchanged a few words whilst Queen Yeon Joo and Prince Yonghyun watched them do so.

Soojin stood from a little distance and tried to unnoticeably analyse the man. The way he and King Hae Jong spoke to each other made her believe that they knew each other for a long time. Everyone seemed to have known the man…except Soojin.

“Let’s go to my quarters” King Hae Jong declared.

Minister Joo followed behind the king as they made their way to his quarters. On their way, as Minister Joo passed Soojin he gave a sardonic grin which caught her off-guard.

And from all the commotion and anticipation of wanting to see the face it had only hit Soojin that the guest was man. She was to be looking after a man.

“Princess Soojin”

“Yes” Soojin answered the voice.

“You must attend to the King and Minister Joo”

*********

Soojin poured out the water into a small vessel and put out her hand to offer it to the male. Minister Joo reached out a hand to take the drink and clasped his hand over Soojin’s, discreetly her fingers. Soojin was taken aback by the bold act which caused her to stare up into his face in bewilderment. She tried to release her hand but his grip was firm, a sly grin playing on his thin lips watching her struggle.

Minister Joo eyes roamed from Soojin eyes down her slim buttoned nose and paused at her slightly open rosy lips. Soojin watched intently as he analysed her face and started to feel uncomfortable under his scrutinising gaze.

“Thank you for the drink” the words slides off his tongue as released her hand and eased himself back on his seat.

Soojin stared at the man, no words being able to form.

“Princess Soojin” king Hae Jong called out to her.

Soojin shifted her glaze towards her father and watched as he glared at her, his eyes communicating to her to respond.

“Your most welcome, please enjoy” Soojin bowed and raised to her feet.

She realises that Minister Joo eyes are now all over her body. She fumbled with her fingers feeling so exposed under his heavy glare.

“I’m sure you would have remembered me telling you that you will be tending to my guest” King Hae Jong spoke again grasping Soojin’s attention. “This is Minister Joo”.

Soojin turned to look at the nobleman seated by her father, his mouth still holding the shrewd grin.

“Ensure he doesn’t find any problem with his stay. You may leave now.” King Hae Jong directed.

“I will be going then” Soojin bowed and left the room, her legs finding it hard to keep up. She felt uneasy.

The moment the doors behind closed Soojin let out a deep breath releasing all the built tension. She clasped the hand that Minister Joo had touched and thought back to what had happened just a while ago. What he had done, and that too in front of the King’s presence.

“Princess Soojin”

Interrupting her thoughts Soojin turned to see Prince Yonghyun approaching her. Once he had met where Soojin was standing he looked towards the doors and back at her.

“Have you been in already?

Soojin nodded her head.

“I will be going in then. Have a good day”

Prince Yonghyun waits by the doors as the guards informed King Hae Jong that he had arrived.

“Thank you, you too”

On her way back to her room Soojin thought to herself that she was to look after a man, a man that didn’t hold back in her father presence. She couldn’t even look after her own messed up life and now she had to bear the responsibilities of another. The palace had countless maids that could do a better job yet she was preferred. How was she to cope?

 

 

 

 

A/N

I’ve update quicker than last time (actually quite proud of myself to be honest), feel free to comment

Also, I started a new story (Shamelessly advertising here but a girl has to advertise what a girls wants to be read) which was thought of by another one of my random daydreaming moments

But let me warn you…it is a …Soooooo if you’re into the whole life vibe fell free to pop by to the page and if you’re not then…try reading your first ;)

Link