Chapter 1

It's Our Life

Another day. It was now spring and the weather had been becoming warmer. Soojin gracefully roamed around the palace grounds as if she were a lost puppy searching for its home. Home? A place where good times and memories are, a place that it is the safest to be, a place of rest and comfort. She was home but not…Home. 

Tired from strolling round the courtyard Soojin began to walk back to her room. Whilst on her way she started to look inside herself, her life and became mindful of the things like her feelings, her emotions, and her purpose. She then began to really wonder why nobody would answer her questions. No matter how many times she attempted they would lock it in and throw away the golden key to the truth. In her nineteen years of existence they wouldn’t allow her be free from curiosity and reveal what she desired to know her whole life. Soojin ought to believe she was old enough to handle the truth. It couldn’t have been that dreadful.

Soojin contemplated whether or not the life she was living was what she truly wanted, was she really content with all the unanswered questions. A life with not knowing the answers that kept her from understanding why her face is concealed, could she really continue to handle living such a twisted life?

She then thought about her family. Although Soojin was around them she could never express her true self, her true personality. They were her family yet she felt like there were complete strangers, Soojin could never feel comfortable in their company. So lost in the moment Soojin hadn’t even realised that she was now standing outside a room that didn’t belong to her.

The guards made their presence known and bowed to greet her.

Soojin questioned herself as to why her legs had carried her to this room, but not wanting to overburden her troubled mind she dismissed the action and her heels to leave.

Taking four steps forward she heard the doors open.

“Princess Soojin!” a firm voice from behind exclaimed.

Soojin eyes slammed shut and her whole body became numb, warm blood ran cold as the words echoed through her skull. Princess. Oh how Soojin detested that word, that term, that title. Bringing herself together she drew in a deep breath and exhaled all the tension out, she slowly turned around.

“Your Highness” Soojin bowed and raised with a smile, a genuine smile. She became faced with the crowned prince of the nation, the next heir to the throne, her brother Yonghyun.

“Aish, how many times do to I have to tell you to call me brother, not Your Highness” he expressed his disapproval.

“But why do I have to call you brother while you still call me Princess. I don’t like it either” Soojin returned. “Besides mother says I must address you as Your Highness” she continued mumbling under her breath.

“That’s because you’re my dear princess like sister who coincidently just happens to be a real princess.”

Did that even make any sense? Trying to understand Yonghyun words, Soojin eyebrows knitted close together in thought, causing Yonghyun to eye her puzzled face while she fiddled with material of her hanbok.

“Anyhow, why were you standing outside my room?”

Alarmed, Soojin instantly looked up into Yonghyun face. “Huh…” she quietly breathed out.

How was she supposed to answer, she was just asking herself that same question.

“Erm…I was” she struggled to find the words.

“Son!” saved by the yell. Both Soojin and Yonghyun turned to look towards where the voice was coming from and there adorned with the finest of fabrics stood an admirable women who one would call a Goddess, she approached them with upmost grace.

“Mother” both Soojin and Yonghyun spoke as they bowed.

Without sparing a glance Queen Yeon Joo strode pass Soojin and stopped in front of Yonghyun. Acting on impulse Soojin’s body moved stepping three steps back giving a mother and son their personal space, and all of a sudden the area felt like it held a lot less air.  

“My dear son, how have you been today?” Queen Yeon Joo smiled gently cupping Yonghyun’s cheek.

“I’ve been well mother. I was just speaking with Princess Soojin”

At the sound of her name Soojin stilled, Queen Yeon Joo raised a brow and turned to look at her, finally acknowledging her presence. The bright smile slipped from her face and had left Soojin feeling uneasy. Soojin lowered her eyes and bowed.

“Good afternoon, Mother” she greeted her again, then the realisation hit her.

Queen. Not mother, Queen.

Soojin could have kicked herself for forgetting such a thing, she abruptly raised and studied Queen Yeon Joo’s face. Realising she was staring too long she immediately lowered her eyes.

“S…sor...sorry, Queen” Soojin stuttered.

Ignoring her, Queen Yeon Joo turned her attention back to Yonghyun and the smile that had faded from her face returned. Yonghyun watched Soojin closely, his mouth twitched, as if he had something to say. Reassuring him that she was fine Soojin gave a slight smile.

“Son.” Yonghyun turned his attention towards his mother.” The King has requested for you to meet with him to discuss a matter.”

“Right now?”

“Yes son”

And before Yonghyun had a chance to register the demands Queen Yeon Joo had pulled him away.

**********

Soojin was finally back inside her room, the only place inside the palace where she felt somewhat at ease.

A faint knock was heard on the room doors. “Jung ah,” Soojin smiled at the voice.

Jung ah, her mother worked in the palace as one of Queen Yeon Joo’s court maids. Due to her mother’s work she was ordered to work in the palace, so she too became a maid and served only Soojin. But Soojin never thought or looked at Jung ah as a maid, she was more like a sister to her. She was a stunning girl with a beautiful heart who was always there for her. Let’s just put it like this–Jung ah understands her.

“Come in” Soojin replied.

Jung ah entered with a bright smile. “Princ…” Soojin scrunched her nose.

Realising her mistake Jung ah immediately corrected herself. “Sorry Soojin I wasn’t think straight…It just came out and…”

“It’s alright Jung ah” Soojin said as she walked over to her “mistakes happen don’t work yourself up” she reassured her. Jung ah relaxed and looked up to Soojin.

“Will you be leaving the palace as usual?” Jung ah questioned her.

“Yes, I will. You know it’s for my own sanity.”

“You do know it is dangerous for you to be leaving the palace under the circumstances. The amount of trouble you would land yourself in if anyone was to find out” Jung ah expressed her concern.

“I know” Soojin huffed out “But nobody outside knows who I am really am. Although they have knowledge about the princesses’ existence they have never seen her face before” She tried to make Jung ah understand. 

“Well…I can’t stop you so just be sure to keep safe, you know I’ll be here to ensure that no one suspects a thing”

Soojin smiled at Jung ah for being so concerned about her wellbeing, for always being there for her. She felt the need to hug her.

And so she did.

“Thank you” Soojin whispered into her ear.

**********

Every other day in secret Soojin would leave the palace by wearing Jung ah’s garments. Nobody cared enough to regularly check up on her to see how she was doing, so Soojin thought that was the perfect opportunity. By doing so, Soojin would immerse herself in the natural beauty and serenity of life outside the palace walls. Away from the rules and procedure of being a princess, even if it is for small moment. It was all worth it.

But she had never been brave enough to venture out as far as to go into the village. That would have been too risky. Instead she found a small secluded place within the woods, but not too far in. It had a small lake which was surrounded by the greenest of plants and the most beautiful flowers. It was a simple yet exquisite image.

How Soojin would love to wake up to such beauty every day. It was the perfect setting for her where she could forget about her duties, her manners, and her responsibilities. Live life by her rules, where she can be herself, without all the add-ons.

Soojin sat by the lakeside and looked up at the clear blue sky, the blinding was sun shining down causing her eyes to squint. A warm sensation of heat washed through her body, clearing out all the forlorn energy. Humming a soft tune Soojin rested admiring the beauty of Mother Nature.

What she would give to have a peaceful life. A life where she can live with passion and determination. A life without worries eating away at her. A life where she’s eager to see another day. A life where someone would actually love her.

The idea of someone loving her, Soojin chuckled at the thought. Having genuine feeling, Preposterous. Girls like her don’t get to encounter joys like that. If her own parents didn’t care about her happiness and hid her face from the people why would a stranger love her and show her off that she’s his. Would life even allow her to experience such intimacy with somebody? Only if the heavens favoured her, which Soojin highly doubted.

After having a sufficient amount of time to relax herself, Soojin looked up to the sky again and realised that it was time for her to be heading back. Although it was a short time it was enough to relax and free her mind, and more, she wouldn't want Jung ah to be in any trouble for covering up for her. No. Soojin most definitely wouldn't want that.

“Goodbye my tranquil place, until we meet again” Soojin muttered to herself. Turning to leave she bumped into something firm which made her stumble back and fall.

“Ouch” she winced.

“Are you alright miss?” Soojin’s body stiffened and her heart started to frantically beat. Nobody was supposed to be around here.

“Miss?” Soojin gradually looked up and became faced with two brown eyes staring down on her, but not just simply brown. Two deep earthy brown eyes that seemed to crease at the corners sending a shimmer to the males eyes. Moving from his eyes she scanned his fairly tanned skin that complimented his slightly dishevelled mahogany hair. His dense light eyebrows displayed conviction, but compassion at the same time, and a chiselled jaw that held plump delicate lips. Soojin couldn't help but stare.

Simply mesmerising.

Soojin realised she was gawking too long and quickly scrambled to her feet. How embarrassing. Without a moment to spare, she quickly strode pass without sparing him a glance, and was brought to a halt. Flustered, she gently stared down at her right hand and looked upon the rough hand clasped around her slender wrist. She tugged her hand free from the hold and started to move again.

“Wait!” he called out and gripped her hand again.

Soojin turned towards him and he released his hand.

He bowed, “I’m sorry for making you fall” he apologised.

“It’s alright, if you will excuse me now I will be on my way” Soojin responded uninterested in his explanation. She turned to leave and he stopped her again. Why does he keep touching me?

Soojin peered down at her hands and then up to his face. She assumed he got the message as he instantly unclasped his hand from her wrist.

The words rolled off his tongue, “I apologise again.”

From the sudden encounter, Soojin hadn’t even realised that his words had a rich soothing feel to it that was sending her into a world of awe, and again, something was compelling her to gawp at the touchy being.

“I’ve never seen you around here before, where did you come from?” he spoke, allowing Soojin to again hear his soothing voice.  

“Huh…” Soojin was at complete loss, all she wanted was to spend some time to free her troubled mind and now she was stuck answering a simple question that seemed to be turning her mental state into a mess. Her cleared mind was now scramming for an answer. 

“…” moved wordlessly. Soojin didn’t know what to say, she couldn’t have simply said she was the Princess of the nation he was living in. Would he had even believed her? Soojin found herself becoming particularly uncomfortable under the strangers scrutinising stare.

“KOREA!” she burst out, finally managing to speak “yes, I come from Korea…South Korea to be exact” Soojin declared with confidence.

Soojin watched the stranger as he ogled at her, baffled. She continued to watch as she tried to understand why his face held such an expression. Then it hit her, what Soojin had just said started to echo inside her head. Korea…KOREA. Her eyes widened from recalling the rash response, of course he knew she was from Korea. Soojin had officially made a complete fool out of herself, no wonder he was staring at her in such bewilderment. A hue of red leaked into her cheeks as they burned from embarrassment, she wouldn't have been surprised if they had caught fire.

Finding the courage she looked up, her eyes falling upon the smirk plastered onto his mouth. He was laughing at her, finding her amusing. The nerve.  

“Does there seem to be a problem, something funny?” Soojin snapped expressing her irritation. 

“No no no…it’s just…that your answer was…well you know…erm…I don’t know…cute” the stranger finally managed to speak, taken aback from Soojin’s sudden change in behaviour.

Cute? The touchy stranger had called her cute. Soojin started to feel her cheeks heat up again, she couldn’t have been affected by his answer.

“I should be leaving now” she managed to utter.

The stranger’s mouth drew an ear to ear smile, “Jongin. Kim Jongin” he spoke again waiting for Soojin to respond.

“I don’t think we’re on the terms for me to be revealing my name to you.”

And with that, Soojin had swiftly turned not sparing the stranger a second to react. Without glancing back she quickly walked away whilst trying to keep her knees from buckling under the weight of her shaky body. In that very moment, deep down inside Soojin was a complete shambles, she had never felt so afraid in her life, it had been her first time becoming faced with an individual outside the palace walls.

Though Soojin may have seemed to have come off as a bit cold, she was never placed into situations where she would know how to interact with others. Only to have conversed with Jung ah and her brother, exchange a few words with Queen Yeon Joo and the occasional discussions she had with her father, King Hae Jong, Soojin had never had a proper conversation anyone else. Her social skills were limited.  

And with all that happened not too long ago, Soojin could have sworn that the journey back to palace seemed to have taken longer than usual.

 

 

 

A/N

I’m really sorry it took so long but I have finally updated the first chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading it 

Ps. Let’s just ignore any grammar errors shall we…