Chapter 9

Within The Night

From: Kibum

You know who I saw today?

To: Kibum

Who?

From: Kibum

The guy who was with Minho last time I saw him. Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun? What was Jonghyun doing in town? Was he back? Did this mean that he and Minho were back for good? Those were the type of questions that flooded Jinki’s mind upon reading Kibum’s last text but he couldn’t do anything to have them answered. Going to talk with them was out of question. Not even Minho.

Speaking with him meant seeing Jonghyun and Jinki wasn’t ready for it. Not after what happened last time. He thought about it every day but he still couldn’t find a logical explanation for it. How could he let that happened? Why would he suddenly kiss Jonghyun and feed on him if they weren’t like that anymore?

Back then, when they were happy and together, it was a normal occurrence in their lives. Most of the time, they did more than that because they couldn’t keep their hands of each other’s bodies. But then Jonghyun betrayed him and Jinki swore to hate him forever.

Jonghyun was the person he loved the most in his long life but he was also the person who broke his heart in a way no one could ever been able to. Jinki would never, ever forgive him. He just couldn’t. What the other vampire did to him, the way he played with his feelings – it was unforgivable.

That was why Jinki couldn’t understand what went through his mind at that time. He felt so angry when Jonghyun kissed him that he just wanted to kill him but after looking into his eyes, Jinki was so shocked with all the emotions he saw in them, that the only thing he could think of doing was kissing him too. And kiss him, he did. Only to regret it after, though. Once again, he fell into Jonghyun’s trap. Fortunately, Minho had appeared at that time before they got too carried away and stopped them. Jinki was sure he couldn’t live with the regret if they took it any further.

Jinki tried to rest, but his mind didn’t let him so he decided to go for a walk. The fresh air against his face always made him feel more comfortable. Unlike what he was expecting, the road was crowded.  Different scents were filling his nose but one in particular caught his attention.

“Minho?” Jinki called, seeing how the other was surprised to hear his name. “You’re back.”

“I am.” Minho answered, nodding. “I’m glad to see you. This is my friend, Krystal. Krystal, this is Jinki hyung.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Jinki smiled, glancing at the suspicious girl, who smiled back at him. “So, you two are going anywhere?”

“I’m just showing her the town.” Minho said, pausing, noting that Jinki wasn’t that comfortable yet. “She’s a vampire too”

“Yeah, I can tell.”

“And she’s helping me.”

“He learns really fast.” Krystal talked for the first time since they met.

“Sure he does.” Jinki answered, still not fully trusting in Krystal. “So, Krystal, right? Where are you from? How did you know each other?”

“United States. Well we… Minho needed-“

“We met in a café. I used to go there every day, and Krystal too.”

Jinki nodded. “Hm, is it your first time here?”

“It is but I’m thinking about spend more time here. This country is lovely.”

“We never met before?”

“I don’t think so.” She said with a straight face. “As I said, it is my first time here.”

“But your face is familiar to me, I don’t know-”

“Jinki.” Minho started, making him look at him, ending the other’s non-stopping questions. “Do you know anything about Kibum?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Hyung, just answer my question, please.” Minho asked.

“Are you sure you want to talk about this in front of your friend?”

“Yeah, there’s no problem.” He said, smiling at the girl, and looking at Jinki again. “Where is he? I would like to meet him.”

“You can’t.”

Minho’s eyes widened and he looked hurt. “What? Why? I’m better now, I can control myself. I’m not hungry anymore; Jonghyun taught me how to control it.”

“Still, it isn’t a good idea.” Jinki shook his head, not looking at Minho. “You know Kibum is not like the other humans. I’m not sure if you can control yourself when he’s around.”

“You don’t know that!” He said, angry at Jinki’s lack of trust in him. He was sure he could control himself.

“We can’t risk, Minho.”

“That’s not a risk.” Minho practically snarled but then he sighed. “But don’t worry, I’m sure Jonghyun will understand me. No one will keep me away from him.”

He turned to Krystal and extended his hand, which she quickly grabbed it, and the two began to walk away. Jinki stood in the same place watching them before he disintegrated and appeared again in front of Minho making Krystal squeal in fright.

Jinki grabbed his arm and looked into his eyes. “I’ll stop you myself if I have to but you’re not going anywhere near Kibum.”

“Why are you doing this?” Minho asked, setting himself free from the other’s grip. “What’s wrong with me wanting to see my best friend?”

“We both know he’s not only your best friend.”

Minho’s gaze hardened. “So what? What is it to you? Do you like him? Is that why you don’t want me near?”

“Oh, Minho…” Jinki began, smiling sadly. “You don’t even know.”

**

Jonghyun was sitting on the couch, watching the news on the television waiting for Minho and Krystal. The two of them had left hours ago and were not back yet. Minho had said something about showing the city but Jonghyun was getting hungry and he could only leave with them. Or maybe he could call Taemin, even though he was up for some human blood that night.

Suddenly there was an odd noise but Jonghyun just assumed it were the other two.

“Minho?” He called, since his friend was too quiet. “How was your day with-” He interrupted himself when he saw a girl on the hall smiling at him. “Hyoyeon?”

“Long time no see.” She said, walking towards him and hugging him. “How are you?”

“Fine, I- What are you doing here?”

She sighed and played with her long blonde hair. “Jinki send me here.”

“Why couldn’t he come?”

“Jonghyun, you know why.” The blonde girl said, landing a hand on his arm. “What happened between you two the other day was-“

“I know, he called it a mistake.” He snapped, turning his back on her and walking back to the sofa. “It wasn’t, though.”

“Why would you say that?”

Jonghyun bit his lip. “Because I felt it. It took us back to when we were together.”

“Jonghyun-“

“Not only me.” He stared at her. “He felt it too. I’m sure.”

Hyoyeon grabbed Jonghyun’s hand and played with his fingers, squeezing them while taking a deep breath. “He doesn’t want Minho near Kibum.”

“Why? Minho is doing really fine. I’m helping him.” He justified, not understanding from where this was coming. “What’s wrong with letting them be friends? There are many vampires who have human friends and never-“

“He doesn’t want them to end up like you two.”