Chapter 34

Within The Night

“No…” Kibum whispered, still horrified by the sight in front of him. “No, no, no, no, no…”

He fell on his knees and stared at the body that was lying on the ground almost lifeless. Kibum couldn’t believe in what happened in the last few seconds because it was too bad to be real. He crawled to Jonghyun’s side and stared, motionless, at how he cradled the body on his arms and rocked him back and forth, chanting his name.

“Why would you do that?” He heard him ask. “Why would you, are you stupid?”

“Because…” A faint voice said, coughing on the next second. “You’re my sire, I would die for you.”

At that Kibum broke down. “Get out of the way.” He pushed Jonghyun aside and his sobs got louder when he saw Taemin’s state. “Taemin...”

“Pumpkin.” He tried to smile but there was blood everywhere and he only looked creepy. “You’re here too.”

“Taemin, listen to me.” Kibum stared at the other’s eyes, holding his face. “You’re going survive this, okay? We’re going to pull this out of you and you’re going to live, okay?”

“I wish it was that simple.”

Kibum chocked on his sobs and rested his forehead on Taemin’s shoulder. “You’re a vampire, you can’t die. You can’t.”

Kibum felt a faint touch on his hair and lifted his head to see Taemin’s hands trying to pet him.

“You’re a great friend, Kibum. And you’re going get through whatever it is what you’re going through.” There were tears at the corner of his eyes and he was trying hard to not let them fall. “Take care of Minho. He’s a good soul and you two are cute together.”

“Stop saying those things. I don’t want you to-“

“I know. But I think I’ve lived a long life and now it’s time to let go.”

Kibum shook his head and gripped his hands. “No, no it’s not. You’ve got a long live ahead of you. Taemin, please, fight back.”

“It’s useless, Kibum.” Jonghyun whispered behind him, also crying. He got one of Taemin’s hands and squeezed it. “Thank you for everything, Taemin. I couldn’t have asked for a better child.”

Taemin smiled and closed his eyes, feeling too tired to reply. He continued to smile until his grip on the other’s hands went slag and life abandoned him. Kibum let his head fall on Jonghyun’s shoulder, surprising him, and cried even harder than before, refusing to let go of Taemin’s hand.

“This is all your fault!” A loud voice startled them and they look back to see Zhou Mi glaring at Jinki’s father who was being held by the latter. “I told you nobody could touch him!” He marched over Taemin’s body and ripped the spear from it, making Kibum and Jonghyun jump back. “Now you’re going to have a taste of your own wicked toys.”

“You still think you’re stronger? You’re ridiculous, Zhou Mi.”

“I don’t need to be stronger, I just need to use this.” He pointed at the spear.

Kwangsoo freed himself from Jinki’s hold and tried to launch himself at Zhou Mi but an invisible force prevented him from doing so. When he looked around trying to understand what was going on, the saw the only human in the room with his hand in the air, pointed at his direction.

“What are you doing to me?”

Kibum smirked and took a step forward, twisting his hand a little. “Only what you deserve.”

Kwangsoo felt the bones on his body turn and a sharp pain rose from within making him scream in pain.

Zhou Mi looked at Jonghyun who nodded and he threw the spear watching with satisfaction as it went through the old vampire’s body. Jonghyun was quick to be in front of him, grabbing the spear and twisting it, making it go deeper.

The vampire kept screaming and moving around trying to take the spear out but Kibum’s magic didn’t let him have room to move too much.

Slowly but surely life was leaving Kwangsoo’s body and the only reason he didn’t fell to the ground was because Kibum was still holding him. When they were sure he was dead, his body suddenly fell at the same time Kibum also fell to the ground.

 

**

Jinki thought that everything happened really fast. At first, he was running to Jonghyun to protect him and, in the next second, Taemin appeared from nowhere, stayed in front of Jonghyun and the spear went through his body. It was so fast that Jinki only fully understood what had happened and he heard Jonghyun screaming and saw him holding Taemin as he started to fall. After that, everything was a blur for him.

When he slipped away from his thoughts, he realized he was staring at his father’s lifeless body on the ground, but strangely he didn’t feel anything. He wasn’t even sad, Jinki only felt relieved. He stopped looking at his father and his gaze shifted to Jonghyun, who was sitting on the ground with his back leaning on the couch while he stared blankly at his hands.

“A-are you okay?” Jinki dared to ask, kneeling next to the other. “I’m so sorry.”

Jonghyun stood as he was, as if he hadn’t heard anything. Jinki sat next to him, held his hand and stayed quiet, looking around. Zhou Mi and the three men were gone, although he hadn’t seen them leave. Next to the couch was Minho, holding Kibum, who was still with his eyes closed. Jinki was trying to understand what had happened to him when he heard Jonghyun speaking. If they weren’t so close to each other, Jinki wouldn’t be able to hear him whisper.

“What?” Jinki asked, looking at him, caressing his back.

“I’m sorry about your father.” Jonghyun repeated, avoiding his eyes. “But Taemin didn’t deserve this. That kid…” He stopped, sobbing. “Why? Why did he do this?”

“Shhh.” Jinki tried to help, knowing that his words weren’t going to help at all. “It’s okay. You don’t need to apologize, he was trying to kill you.”

“I understand if you hate me now, but-“

“I don’t hate you.” Jinki said, touching his chin to make him look at him. “I was so afraid of losing you again.”

Jonghyun smiled at him and leaned his head on Jinki’s shoulder, still holding his hand. “What happened to Kibum? He was the one who helped the most.”

“I don’t know, he’s not conscious for a long time now.” Jinki explained, looking at the human. “Do you think he’s going to be fine?”

“Minho?” Jonghyun called, instead of answer his question. “Is everything okay?”

Minho looked at Jonghyun, worried, and then back at Kibum. When Jinki’s father tried to attack Zhou Mi, Minho noticed the smirk on Kibum’s face and knew that Kibum wasn’t in control anymore. From that point, he paid more attention to his boyfriend than to the other things that were going on in the house, so he almost saw the invisible force that appeared when Kibum stretched his arm in Kwangsoo’s direction. At first, Minho thought it wasn’t working, but in a second Kwangsoo froze and immediately looked at Kibum, scared. At that moment, Minho felt really proud because he thought that, for the first time, Kibum was using his powers to do good things. But in the next second he wasn’t so sure about it, because when he looked to Kibum’s eyes, all he could see was anger.

Worried, Minho started to approach him, slowly. At the same time, Jonghyun attacked his opponent, who was fighting to get free, but Kibum kept his strength and didn’t even move. It was only when he was sure that Kwangsoo was dead that the human gave up and fell to the floor, unconscious.

Since then to the current moment, Minho was there, holding him, and waiting for him to come to his senses. But as the time was passing, he was getting more anxious, not knowing what to do. So, when he heard Jonghyun’s voice and noticed that he wasn’t the only one who was worried, he made a decision.

“I’m not sure. I’ll take him to his grandmother, she certainly knows what to do.” He said, getting up and taking Kibum on his arms. “Do you need anything? Are you okay?”

“I am. Don’t worry about me. Just go and help him.” Jonghyun answered, nodding to encourage him and to show his support.

Minho smiled at him and walked out of their house, holding Kibum against his chest and praying for him to be fine.

 

**

“Oh my God, what happened?” Kibum’s grandmother asked, worried, as she opened the door and saw his grandson on Minho’s arms, leaving space for Minho to walk in.

“I think something is wrong with him.” Minho started to explain, getting more nervous. “I’ve never seen him this angry before. Someone tried to kill Jonghyun and killed Taemin instead, and Kibum did something with his hands, and an invisible force appeared and then he was on the floor like this.” He explained really fast, to be able to ask what he really wanted to know. “Can you help him?”

“I don’t know. You have to calm down and explain everything to me, with details. I need to know what happened exactly.” The old woman said, pointing to the couch for Minho to lay Kibum there. “Can you please come with me? I have to prepare something for him.”

“Sure.” Minho said, following her to the kitchen.

Minho explained everything again, now with more details, from the moment the fight began to the present. Kibum’s grandmother listened to him with so much attention that he was afraid to forget to tell something important. When he stopped talking, she kept in silence, choosing some plants and preparing a tea. After what seemed an hour to him, she looked at Minho and smiled at him. But it was a sad smile, not the one she used to give him.

“I think there’s a way to help him.” She said, patting Minho’s shoulder and holding his hands. “I’ve been investigating this, because it’s happening to our family since many generations ago. Although, I confess, this is the first time it happens with someone so young as Kibummie is and it usually isn’t that strong. The magic, I mean.”

“And you found something? Is there a way to cure this?” Minho asked, hopeful.

“Not a cure. But a way to make it happen not so many times and with less intensity.” She explained, more serious than Minho had ever seen her. “It won’t be easy.”

“It doesn’t matter. What can I do? How can I help him?”

“You… can’t.” The old woman continued, touching Minho’s face as she saw him frown. “Isolation. It’s the only way. I’ll keep him isolated and I’ll give him some things to control the magic.”

“No, I need to see him.” Minho refused to believe it. He knew he could help Kibum.

“You can’t, you have to believe me. You want the best for him, don’t you?”

Minho nodded but still tried to explain himself. “But I can help him, I’m the one who’s been helping him when he gets angry and tries to hurt someone.”

“Until the day you can’t.” She told him, still holding his hands. “Until the day the magic is too strong to be broken. And that’s why we need to do this.”

“He’s going to be mad.” Minho whispered, accepting to believe that it was the only way he had to help.

“I know, but I can take care of him, I’ll help him.”

“What if he hurts you?”

“He won’t. I promise you, I’ll be fine.”

Minho gulped, not knowing what else to say. He held the old woman’s hands tighter as if he was telling her that he trusted her.

“How many days? Until I can see him again?” He asked, afraid to know the answer.

“I don’t think we’re talking about days or even weeks, Minho.” She said, sadly. “But it all depends on him and how he reacts to the treatment, I can’t tell you right know. But I’ll let you know, don’t worry.”

“Keep me updated please, you can call anytime. And if you need anything- “

“I know, I can count on you.” She said, smiling, and pulling him to a hug.

“I’m just going to say goodbye and then I go, is it okay?” Minho asked, hugging her too.

“Of course, go see him.” Kibum’s grandmother said, turning away to keep preparing the plants.

Minho walked back to the living room, slowly. When he entered the room, he looked at a still sleeping Kibum and smiled sadly at him. How was he supposed to leave him like this and not coming back for who knows how long? He kneeled next to the couch and held his boyfriend’s hand, as he caressed his face with the other.

“I hope you know it isn’t easy for me, so hurry up and get better soon!” He said to him, hoping that somehow he was listening to him. “Don’t scare me like this ever again, idiot.” He continued, knowing that he had to go or he wouldn’t be able to. “I love you, okay?” He asked, waiting for an answer he knew that wouldn’t come. “And I’m waiting for you.” He added, letting go of his hand, kissing his forehead and walking out of the room, refusing to cry. 

 

Everyone seemed to forget that Taemin was the only one who wasn't there :(

Let's see what happens to Key now!

The next chapter is the last one! Thank you for commenting and subscribing <3