River Talks

River Talks

"You know," Baekhyun slurs, head lolling from side to side only to land safely on Chanyeol's shoulder once again, "you're really great." 

Chanyeol laughs from next to him, wrapping an arm around Baekhyun's shoulders so he doesn't fall off the bench they're sitting on. Chanyeol would really like them to move and sit on the bench seat itself instead of on the top of the backrest, but Baekhyun's very stubborn when drunk. 

For Chanyeol, Baekhyun's safety comes first, but he has somehow been coerced (by intense pouting of small pretty mouth, outrageous blinking of clumped lashes and the occasional scrunching of a cute nose - all of Baekhyun's weapons used with clear intent and with abundance) into drinking two cans of beer with Baekhyun. This meant that for once he ended up sliding up and sitting next to Baekhyun instead of pulling him down. 

Officially, they are out biking since they finally have a bit of time; not that they aren't recording another album or anything, but there are definitely less busy nights at least. In truth, Chanyeol needed to go for a walk to clear his mind, and somehow there was Baekhyun, with a backpack and a shrug, next to him the moment he put his shoes on. They took bikes because Baekhyun refused to keep up with Chanyeol long strides. "You walk too fast when you're broody," he's said. 

So, here they are, three or maybe more hours and a backpack full of beer cans later, Baekhyun positively smashed, bikes leaning against the bench, and the two of them sitting on the top of the backrest of it, looking out at the river, slightly cold, and very much huddled together, and maybe too honest. 

"Is that you or the beer talking?" Chanyeol asks. Baekhyun sighs. 

"Like, I was an to you, but you, like, kept on smiling. It was hideous, really. And then we didn't really talk, and you were with Sehun and Jongin all the time, and I guess I was a little glad because I am an like that ... but when Taeyeon, well ... you were there, suddenly, like I wasn't an or ignorant, and ..." Baekhyun trails off. His head must be spinning a lot because even with Chanyeol's arm around him, he sways a little, and it startles him, his arm coming around Chanyeol's waist to steady himself. His long fingers squeeze around Chanyeol's side, and Chanyeol takes a deep breath. Being close to Baekhyun, physically, is not new. Baekhyun mumbling out his feelings though, raw and jumbled and underlined with hurt and repentance and wonder, that might be novel. When they met, Chanyeol might have thought that Baekhyun was easy to read, and he might have felt like they knew each other since forever, but Baekhyun ... has proved him wrong, has proved that Chanyeol was mistaken. 

"Definitely the beer talking then," Chanyeol says at last, arm tightening around Baekhyun's shoulders. Baekhyun hums and turns a little. His nose ends up smashed into Chanyeol's neck, and he starts humming the song he's been recording today. Chanyeol lets him, trying not to shiver at the way Baekhyun's breath feels against his collarbones. Baekhyun's nose is cold.

"I drank too much. It's all your fault. You should have drunk your share, but no. You are a big idiot with principles, mister perfect 'I don't drink and I don't smoke and I take care of my body and I take care of everyone else and I do whatever I see in their eyes, whatever they want'," The words are slurring together, but Chanyeol feels each and single one of them like a bite of cold or maybe like a burn of flame against his neck. "And I know it's too soon or maybe too late now, but I love you," Baekhyun finishes his rant. "Thank you for getting drunk with me so I could tell you." 

Chanyeol is definitely too sober for this. He has to grab the bench with his other hand so that they don't both fall. Just then Baekhyun's breath evens out, his chest moving up and down in a slower, calmer rhythm against his side now. Chanyeol realizes Baekhyun has both of his arms wrapped around his waist and is using him as somewhat of a body pillow. 


He calls Yixing to come help him because he knows Yixing won't ask questions, won't say anything to Junmyeon or anyone really, and has too good of a heart to refuse. He coaxes Baekhyun into mild consciousness and makes them get down from the bench. He keeps his arm around him, and slowly they walk back to the dorms, while Yixing pushes both of their bikes ahead of them. They haven't really gone that far before Baekhyun parked his on that bench and started drinking and singing old k-pop songs. Chanyeol liked it the most when Baekhyun sang freely like this. In retrospect, Baekhyun knows that too, way too well. 


Chanyeol and Baekhyun don't share a room anymore which is pretty inconvenient now, when Chanyeol worries Baekhyun might feel sick or might need to drink water in the middle of the night. He doesn't want him stumbling about the place in his state alone. He makes a bee line for Baekhyun's bed then, strips them both down to t-shirts and boxers, and decides they can share for the night. They haven't done this in over the year, but it still feels so natural, Chanyeol's bare feet sliding against Baekhyun's ankles as they tangle their limbs together to fit. Baekhyun yips like a puppy and goes back to sleep. His bare thigh is warm between Chanyeol's own. His nose though is still cold. He yips again, and his tongue darts a little, wet against Chanyeol's collarbone. Chanyeol brings him closer, nose buried in Baekhyun's hair. He knows it's a bad idea, and in the morning he will have to explain where they have been so long and why he hasn't found his bed, but he had two beers and he can pretend that is enough to make his mind fuzzy and his heart free. "I love you too," he whispers, closing his eyes. "I really do."