Final

My Wife's Memories
Please log in to read the full chapter

YIFAN POV

 

"Come on, one more shot!" one of my friend give me a big glass of wine. I've feel dizzy. "what? No! that's crazy. I can't go home like this,henry!" I ignored. Suddenly my phone ring. That was from my daughter, Shixun.

"hello shixun..daddy's busy right now,what's up?..oh wait shixun.."

"sir,the bar closing now,let's go find other bar" said amber, one of my office friend

"okay..let's go" I said trying get up. Uh I'm so dizzy. I heard zhoumi talk to yuri how much she have drink, yuri reply with tremble sound that she's fine. Then I continue speak on the phone with shixun. I heard she sobs in mess. I get worry. "Shixun tell me what happen?!" a long silence.Then she said "dad..mom is dead"

"WHAT??" I feel my legs getting weak and the world stopped for a second. It can't be. Luhan..why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand in front of Luhan's coffin, and say thank you for coming to all guests. Tao eyes are puffy and Shixun sobs silently. Trying to look strong.

Luhan, my wife had dementia. She got it unusually early on in life. still, there was no way i'd have ever expected this. The police said that while luhan was at home alone for a bit, she accidentally started a fire in one of the rooms and suffocated on the smoke. They found Luhan's fingerprint all over front door. she didn't know how to do something as simple as unlocked the door or what if she'd just screamed. Someone would've come and helped her..

Luhan was very sincere and kind. She loved her family more than anything and raised Tao and Shixun well. Even after she had dementia, she tried to keep things as normal as possible. This is such a tragedy. But why can't I cry?. I look at her photograph. Maybe it's because in my mind, I had already left my wife 3 years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't a bad husband, but I was a good one, either. Like most people, it's not easy to become a family man once you're used to being a busy business man. But I can't deny that I didn't really put much effort into it. When I think about the fact that I don't really have any memories  of us after our marriage. I realize that I really just lived for work. I never even gave my wife any memories to forget.

 

RIIINGGG RIIINGGG!!!

My alarm was very loud. I better get up. "honey.." I said at an empty bed beside me. Like a knife stab me, such a realization..my wife already gone. I get up from bed and go to dining room for breakfast with Tao and Shixun.

"come get breakfast dad" shixun greeting

"how'd your sleep dad?" Tao asked

"uhm..great" I said. My heart almost stop beating when I look at sink. There's Luhan! "AAARRRRGGHH!" I screaming and then fall

"dad?" Tao shocked "are you okay?"

"there...there..over there a ghost!" I said with tremble sound while pointing at the sink

"what 're you talking about" Shixun getting worry. She and Tao help me to get up "dad just calm down and go rest more"

"it's true though!" I halfscream. Shixun almost cry. My kids thought I was in shock from losing my wife. That's what they told me at local hospital too.

I drink some medicine to calm down myself. Whether it's a delusion or a ghost, I don't wanna see it anymore.

Next day I woke up early. I look at whole house. It seems it's gone. Good, I must've just been imagining it or I must be losing my mind and I'm getting old. But I can't believe my eyes when I see at front door. Luhan trying to open the door.

I call a priest. He said he can't see Luhan. but he can sense something in the house. He said it's not a ghost. I said to the priest what Luhan doing. Based on her movement it's look like she's doing houseworks. Then he asked "did your wife by any chance suffer from dementia?" I nods. I wondering, how did he know?

"similiar thing has happened before to families of people with dementia. When dementia patient realize they have dementia, they do everything to keep from losing themselves. Of course, this doesn't usually do anything. But if their mind is strong, their memories can be recorded on the fabric of space-time. Like diary o f their life. Even after the persons dead, the memories take on a physical from and reflect the past. Like watching videotaped recording of their life. It called 'dementia spirit'"

So that's Luhan spirit. The way she's acting seems reletively normal, so these must be her memories that Luhan herself left. The priest said it was just like mannequin moving without any special purpose. But I know Luhan's memories are here. The memories she imprinted on the world before she died. One day she want going out, so I follow her. Luhan go to neurologist clinic. I thought, is this where she was diagnosed with dementia. So this the day. After one hour I waiting outside the clinic, she came out, her face doesn't look good. She's crying. I don't have the nerve to look at her face right now. On that day, 3 years ago she was diagnosed with dementia and then came home alone, sat in our empty house and cried alone. I would've only found out about her dementia a few months after that. A few Days after my wife died, I quit my job. I needed to watch my wife.

I lived with my wife the whole time, but I feel like I never knew her. I spend my days with my kids as usual. Then when my kids go to their office..I'm alone..no..I'm with Luhan's spirit. She's doing houseworks like usual. I came next to her and try to speak with her. Of course, Luhan didn't answer. I always follow her. Today, she's going to grocery. When walked home, she suddenly sat at park bench and stare at sky. I wonder what she thought of as she sat here yesterday. I living with a memory of luhan from 3 years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dad why're you staying in this room?" Tao asked

"I just find I sleep better in here"

"even with it all cleaned up and the wallpaper redone, It can't be good for your health. Since it's room where the fire started" Tao explained

"It's fine, don't worry about me,Tao" I reply. This is the room where the fire started. This is where I can observe Luhan

When I first found out about Luhan's dementia, I felt terrible and confused, I cried a lot, too. But over time, I started resenting Luhan for losing her mind. But at times, when things got really though, I'd blame the heavens. Since I knew that this misfortune couldn't be Luhan's own fault. And so Luhan left. And now all that's left of her here are these memories. I'm looking right at a dementia spirit of Luhan from 3 years ago. Still I was grateful. Wherever she looked, whatever she touched, wherever she went, I could finally see all of it. Even if it was really late.

A FEW MONTHS LATER...

One day, Shixun brought her boyfriend, Jongin, to the house. After have a dinner, we talk at dining room. We talking about Shixun and Jongin wedding plans.

"your mom really wanted to see you wearing a wedding dress someday. Shixun..I'm so proud of you for taking such good care of your mom for a long time." I said to Shixun. My eyes gotten watery. "I'm sure there were lots of things you wanted to do instead you quit your job and couldn't meet your friends. I always felt really sorry about that. I hope that you'll live a happy life from now on." Shixun crying

It's about 11'o clock, but Luhan still awake. I try to speak with her

Please log in to read the full chapter