The Comeback

When the rain stops [HIATUS]

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby."
-Langston Hughes

 

 

Darkness filled the room as the sun hid behind the tall buildings leaving no trace of light, making the room look like it was from a horror movie. The flat was located in an old building, on the fifth floor. Months ago, there was a fire, which was caused by some random people who lived in the fourth floor, the firefighter’s didn’t came in time and many lives were lost. The building was burned so badly, that it was abandoned, tall, metal fences were put around it to prevent local gangsters to come in here. But still, accidents happened in this building, it was popular for young people to kill themselves here. Who came in here, never came back.

But she didn’t came here to kill or hurt herself. She came here to be with her thoughts, to mourn the lost ones. Or rather, mourn her own loss. The room in which she was in, was really abandoned and destroyed. Some tiles were missing and the walls had every kind of holes, varying from small to big size. The items were scattered around the room, some survived the fire, some not. The room was a mess and dusty. Only a chair which wasn’t burnt by the flames, stood alone near the window. In the Friday evening, she was sitting on that chair, her legs were hoisted up on the windowsill, her hands were resting between her thighs, head was slightly bent, but her deep brown eyes were stubbornly attached to the window. Suddenly, a drop of water hit the glass and travelled down the glass, leaving it’s wet trace behind. The girl sighed deeply and continued to look through the window, when more drops appeared on the glass. It will be a matter of time when the rain will start. She let out a sigh again, remembering him standing in the rain with an umbrella, with a stupid smile on his face, waiting for her outside her job. Oh, how she loved that stupid smile, how she loved him, when he waited for her in the rain. But now he was lost, he was too far away from her too reach him.

She really tried to forget him and move on, but she couldn’t. She tried to forget, how he took a piece of her heart and shattered the other half inside of her.

“You’ll always be here?”

“Always.”

The pain in her chest started increasing with every memory of spending time with him together.

“See, I told you I will come.” His laugh echoed around the café she was working in and she smiled. He never broke his word.

 She clutched her shirt and gulped. It hurt so badly to come here and remember him. But she came here, but why now? Why today? She didn’t knew why. She thought that she got over it and she was alright, but something pulled her here. Or perhaps someone. The pain in her chest increased more and more by every thought of him, but she promised herself, that she won’t shed tears for him.

She was crying already? She didn’t notice the tears that made their way down her cheeks. That wasn’t him. That was not him. Not him.

This room was their house, before the fire destroyed it. Maybe then, the fire destroyed their love too. She didn’t want to stay here, but she also didn’t want to leave this room. It was filled with their happy memories.

“You can’t cook properly! Aish, give me the flour.” Jiyeon raised her hand towards him, waiting for the weight of flour in her small hand, but it never came. She raised her eyes and looked and him. He was grinning like a mad man. And at that moment, she knew what was about to happen. He was wearing an apron too, just a much bigger one and it looked cute on him. He dipped his hand in the flour. She rose her hands in front of her and started backing up a little.

“So, can I cook?” He raised an eyebrow, slowly pulling his hand from the bag.

“No.” She giggled and looked at his beautiful face. Was he always that beautiful?

“Huh? So no? Fine then, don’t blame me then” He smirked, took a step towards her and threw the flour in his hand directly at her. Now the girls hair  was all white. They both laughed and the girl took some flour too and threw them at him. They settled in after half of the flour was gone, both white and happy with each other.

 As the rain started pouring heavily, she snapped out of her memories. Jiyeon pulled her hands away from her face and looked at the drops racing down the glass, she didn’t notice when her hands started covering her face. Rain always calmed her down. It reminded her of him.

Suddenly, from the corner of her eyes, she saw a figure appearing and disappearing into the darkness, to the direction of this building. Maybe it was an illusion? Maybe it was the heavy rain, that looked like a figure? Or a young man, who came here to end his life. The girl furiously wiped her eyes and looked through the window again. She was really imagining things now. Jiyeon sighed and looked at the rain again. She just hoped, that her brother won’t find her and she’ll be alone all night. The cold was slowly seeping into her clothes, reaching her body, but she didn’t mind it. Her eyelids became heavy and soon, she just drifted off to the darkness, dreaming dreams, which were never meant to be true.  

~~~~~~

Her neck and back weren’t stiff from sleeping on the chair all night and she didn’t feel the cold, that was always in that room, she felt warmth and something soft, comfortable.  She felt something wrong. Jiyeon eyes suddenly snapped open and she jumped up from her lying place, a blanket slipped off of her and rested on her legs. She carefully observed her surroundings and let out a sigh of relief, remembering her room. How did she got here? Maybe she came back, or maybe it was all a dream? The girl looked around her room and saw her brother, sitting on a wooden chair, which was set near her bed. His head was resting uncomfortably on the chairs back and he had his arms crossed on his chest. He was sleeping. Jiyeon sighed quietly. He took her back from that place.

She didn’t want to wake him up. She didn’t want to hear him explaining that she should just forget her past and move on. She didn’t have enough strength to do it. Heck, she couldn’t even keep her promise to her big brother. She promised, that she will be alright, she promised him, that she won’t go there anymore. But she lied. And her brother, Yong Guk knew that from the very beginning when he saw that accident. It wasn’t an accident, it was a tragedy. The girl didn’t want to disturb her brothers sleep, maybe he stayed all night up with her, so she just lied back down and rested her head on the soft pillow and closed her eyelids, turning on her right side, so Yong could face her back when he wakes up. She was just too tired and Jiyeon needed sleep now more than everything. She just wanted to forget everything and be in the darkness forever. But her brother needed her. And she needed him.  Soon she just drifted off to the darkness again.

As soon as she fell asleep again, Guk opened his eyes and examined his little sisters petite figure, slowly raising up and down. She got really thin after that event. Now she was sleeping peacefully and he was happy about it. At least her school life wasn’t that bad. She didn’t have many friends like him, but at least she had some. The boy was in the last years of his class and he was loved by everyone in the school, well not everyone, but mostly everyone. He had five best friends, who would never turn their backs on him and because of that, everyone thought that they are a gang. Yes, maybe they were, but they prefer to be called brothers. Their bond was too strong to call them friends.  He shifted from his uncomfortable position  and quietly stood up. The boy took the blanket and covered Jiyeon’s small frame and silently left the room. He needed to eat something and tell guys the news. His friends loved Jiyeon like a sister and they cared for her deeply. Especially Zelo. When it happened, Zelo bought her a lot of flowers and a plushy. He let her cry on his shoulder for a whole night. All of them loved Jiyeon and she loved them too. Guk was happy about that. Even if his sister was a silent type and had only a few friends, she managed to adapt quickly with his group.

When he came into her life, their life, he knew something wrong will happen. It was a brotherly instinct. Their parents died in a car accident and Yong with Jiyeon were left all alone at a very young age. The boy had grown up much sooner. They were broken when their parents died, but in time, they learned to live together. And they were happy. Their parents were rich, so they lived in a big house, but only both of them., they had enough money to live through and even if the money would end, they had a whole company. Guk went downstairs and came into the huge kitchen. He really needed to eat and call his friends, but he didn’t have any energy, so the boy just took a glass from the shelf and poured in it some water. Slowly drinking, he pulled out his phone and opened his messages and found his chat with Zelo. His friend was worried the most about Jiyeon. So he texted him. “She’s home, you can calm down and go to sleep. After waiting for a few minutes, he put his phone down on the counter and sighed. Guk finished his water and took a last look to the phone. Maybe Zelo was already asleep, that guy could fall asleep really fast if he’s tired. Tough luck. The pone suddenly lighted up and started moving from the vibration. Guk looked at the phone. Of course it was the younger boy, who else. The boy tiredly picked up the phone and swiped through the screen, to answer him.

“What’s up Zelo?” He tried to keep his usual cool, but Guk was just too tired for that. And listening to Zelo’s reproaches, was more tiring.

“How is she? Why did you not tell me sooner?” strangely, Zelo started the phone talk calmly and that meant, that something was really wrong.

“I didn’t knew myself that she went there. Now she’s sleeping.” He let out a sigh and then heard nothing but silence. “Aish, Zelo, you’re really scarring me”. He felt that something bad is about to happen. Something really bad. When Guk heard Zelo’s tone, he got frightened. He was never the one to be afraid of someone, especially his friends, but now, even through the phone, he could sense the boiling anger inside of his friend.

“He’s back.”

 

~~~~~~

 

The words kept repeating over and over again, he felt his insides twist in rage. How and when did that happen? They almost recovered from his disappearance and now he came back to make new wounds in her heart. Their hearts. If she was hurt, so was he.

“What… did you say?” Guks voice was in a low tone, he tried to keep his anger inside himself, but it was too hard.  He wanted to punch someone in the face. Fifty times. He wanted to get drunk and forget everything. He saw how his sister slowly recovered and she was practically alright, if not for her visit to that burned building this Friday. She started talking with her friends again, her grades got better, she started hanging around her friends. Jiyeon was almost healed from that accident. And now he needed to come back. It wasn’t an accident, but Guk and his gang saw it like one. When your loved one is shattered and broken, it was hard for him to see it as a normal break-up. No, he saw it as an accident. A one big accident. And the victim was his little sister.

“Yo, are you deaf or something? I said that he came back to our school.” Zelo answered him irritatingly. It looks like, he wasn’t the only one angry about this situation too. Zelo was like a younger brother to Jiyeon.

“I’ll ing kill that bastard!” Zelo was storming around his living room, he had just left her room and it looked like he was about to really kill someone. Guk pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to open his mouth and tell him to calm down, but he couldn’t because Junhong was shouting again. But then he had enough.

“Calm down already!”

Out of all the group, he loved her the most. Even though he was younger, he acted like a big brother to her. They were really close. They even attended the same class.

“It was a rhetorical question you idiot.” He hissed and put down the glass near the sink. His friend was really smart, but at some occasions, he acted really stupid.

“Aish, never mind. I don’t know why he came back, but I tell you man, we should keep an eye on him.” Answered Junhong. “Listen, I don’t have time to deal with your anger right now, see you later hyung!” and his friend hung up. Guk pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. Should he tell her? Yes, he should. But he won’t. He didn’t want to see her reaction to that. He didn’t want to see sadness in her eyes. But now, when he came back to their school, it will be difficult to avoid him. Well at least he was alone and unnoticeable. Jaebum was always alone and when he met Jiyeon, his life changed 360 degrees. He became friends with his gang, BAP and himself. He started dating his little sister and life was beautiful for them. Like a fairytale. But the fairytale ended, when Jeabum’s home burned down. And it was like JB burned down with his home too. He changed and moved to a new school, he broke her heart and left her all alone. He was a good guy, but something happened, that he changed into a real bastard. Nobody knew what happened. And now he came back.

Guk placed his phone on the table and left the kitchen. He needed to rest from this kind of turn of events. But he didn’t know if he’ll be able to fall asleep. He let out a deep sigh and went upstairs.

Guk grabbed him by his shirt collar and pushed him into the wall, anger boiling inside him. Dark brown eyes met dark, but a bit lighter brown eyes. Jaebum didn’t show any emotions.

“Why are you doing this?” He hissed and gripped the collar tighter.

“Don’t pretend you don’t know.” His voice was calm, what made Guk’s rage raise up.

“What the hell are you talking about, she did nothing you bastard!” He shouted right in his face. The older boy saw as Jaebum managed a broken smile.

“You’re wrong. She did everything. It’s her own fault.” His smile disappeared and he freed himself from Guk’s grip, which loosened a bit from the confusion.

“Wha…?”

“She’s the one to blame.”

“Who?”

“Jiyeon.”