Chapter 4

Ddeokbukki and Banana Milk

Chapter 4

 

            Key paced the floor of his living room, arms crossed, he occasionally glanced at his hand phone to check if his missing husband had called.

 

            It was a Saturday so he’d already sent Minho to his soccer classes and emailed some of his completed designs to his boss. All morning, he waited and waited for his husband to call back, or even send back a text message. To be honest, the blonde male was really worried because Jonghyun had never stayed out overnight before. Ever since the beginning of their marriage – 8 years ago – Jonghyun had faithfully kept his promise of always coming home after work and only staying out when it wascompletely, absolutely, desperately, positively necessary.

 

            Just as Key was about to send another angry text message to his husband, he heard the familiar sound of Jonghyun’s car pulling up in the driveway. The slam of a car door was soon followed by the sound of hurried footsteps and the jingle of keys. Key stomped over to the front door and wrenched the door open.

 

            He stood there in the doorway with his hands on his hips and looked down in the most menacing manner possible. Jonghyun’s face morphed from one of surprise into one of submissive apology, his outstretched arm that held their house keys immediately fell to his side as he hastily stuck his keys in his pocket and raised both hands in a (hopefully) calming manner.

 

            “Baby, I know you’re mad but I have a perfectly good reason why-”

 

            “WELL IT BETTER BE A BLOODY GOOD REASON BECAUSE I HAD TO TELL MINHO THAT YOU WERE BUSY AT WORK SO IF YOU WEREN’T BUSY AT WORK THEN THAT WOULD MEAN THAT I LIED TO MY BABY AND YOU KNOW I HATE THAT SO YOU BETTER STAND HERE AND TELL ME EXACTLY WHY IS IT YOU WERE OUT ALL NIGHT.”

 

            Jonghyun shot nervous glances at his surroundings and noticed one of his neighbors peeking out of their front door to see what the commotion was about.

 

            The brunette smiled sheepishly at his husband and said, “Yeobo can we please talk inside?”

 

            Key caught sight of their neighbor and heaved a great sigh before grabbing Jonghyun’s arm and pulling him in, closing the door behind them. He dragged his husband into the living room and pushed him down onto the couch before sitting down on the couch next to his.

 

            “So?”

 

            Jonghyun twiddled his thumbs and said, “You see, jagiya, I was at work and we caught the bad guy but then he had this little boy and so I brought him to the hospital and then I felt sorry for him so I was just gonna stay awhile to make sure everything was alright but then I fell asleep. I put my phone on silent so I didn’t hear your calls. I’m really sorry yeobo, but I just had to make sure that little kid was okay.”

 

            Silence enveloped the room after his tiny speech and Jonghyun sat there nervously wondering why Key hadn’t said anything. He wrung his hands and sat as still as possible, hesitantly smiling at his husband.

 

            Key sighed when he saw his husband’s apologetic smile and uncrossed his arms. When Jonghyun patted the seat next to his, he gave up on being angry altogether and sat next to his husband, allowing Jonghyun to pull him into his arms. Damn Jonghyun and those adorable puppy eyes.

 

            “I know you’re mad and I know that I should have at least sent you a text message but I completely forgot and I’m so very very very very sorry.”

 

            Jonghyun looked straight into Key’s eyes and tried to convey his sincere intentions, quirking a corner of his lip up again into a half-smile.

 

“I was so worried,” Key whispered, eyes filling up with tears, “what if you were wounded or dying or lost or, or…”

 

            The shorter male, pulled Key into a hug and nuzzled his nose against the crook of his neck comfortingly, “I’m sorry Kibum-ah.”

 

            The two of them sat like that for awhile, with Jonghyun gently patting Key’s back as he sobbed quietly, half mad at Jonghyun for forgetting but half relieved that he was alright.

 

 

---

           

 

            After Key had stopped crying, Jonghyun told him the full story and by the time he was done, Key was demanding to meet the little boy who had stolen his husband’s heart. Jonghyun agreed to take him to the hospital so Key rushed around the house, pulling on his coat and opening the fridge to see if there was anything he could bring for the little boy. He saw the two left over bottles of banana milk and put it into a little plastic bag to make it easier for him to carry.

 

            “By the way Jjong, what’s his name?”

 

            “What’s who’s name?”

 

            “The little boy in the hospital, you know? The one you rescued?”

 

            “Ummm….”

 

            “Kim Jonghyun,” Key said, narrowing his eyes as he turns away from his bag to look back at him, “Are you telling me that you don’t even know his name?”

 

            Jonghyun’s phone rings in his pocket and he quickly shoots a sheepish smile at his spouse before grabbing his cell and answering the call, “Yes, Sir?”

 

            “Hello, Jonghyun, I know you’re off duty for the weekend but are you still at the hospital?”

 

            “Don’t worry about it Sir. I’m at home now but I’ll be going back in a bit with Key to check on the little guy,” he answers, reaching out to gently rub Key’s back.

 

            Key lets out a small appreciative sigh and rests his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder, curling up as best as he can against his husband with his pregnant belly.

 

            “Well I just thought you should know that the boy’s name is Lee Taemin. I looked into some files that we had on the case and a birth certificate showed up. Apparently, the unsub’s (a/n : unsub is a term detectives use for criminals) got a son. The kid hasn’t been seen or heard of from the day he was born until now.”

 

            “What about the wife? The case files mention that all the victims bear similarities to his wife.”

 

            “She died giving birth to their son. Our profiler thinks that her death might have tipped our unsub off the edge. Anyways, I thought you might like to know what he’s called. Have a nice weekend and say hi to your wife and kid for me.”

 

            “Will do, Sir. Thanks.”

 

            He hung up and turned to Key who had started absentmindedly patting his belly while staring up at him, “What’s going on?”

 

            Rubbing his temple tiredly, he replies, “Well for one, chief says ‘hi’ and for another, I found out what the little boy’s name is. Chief thinks that he’s the son of our unsub, he’s called Taemin. We won’t know for sure until he wakes up and I ask him but now that I think about it he really does look like the criminals deceased wife. They’re pretty identical actually, I don’t know why I didn’t see it earlier.”

 

            “Poor thing,” Key mumbled, “imagine what it must’ve been like to live in a house like that without a mother.”

 

            Jonghyun nodded and looked down at Key and then blinked in surprise.

 

            “Key, are you crying?” he asked incredulously, because really, it wasn’t easy to make Key cry.

 

            “Damn these pregnancy hormones,” Key muttered under his breath as he wiped away his tears and defiantly shook his head, but Taemin’s situation did make him sad and he wondered if there was anything else he could do to make the little one feel better.

 

“Jonghyun hold on for a bit kay?” Key said, getting up from his seat, “I need to go cook something.”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N : Heyy there guys! How've you been? First of all, a very Merry (Belated) Christmas to all of you out there and a very happy (belated) New Year! We all might have to go bat crazy in the year 2015 for some reason or another but let's not forget ourselves and continue to be the insane people we all know we really are ;) 

So here's another chappie for you my dear readers and thank you to all the new subscribers! I hope to see you guys subscribe so I can talk to you and all and I also hope you'll like my story heheh

I didn't reply to the comments on chapter 2 so here goes :

@pinkwlgirl : YES I'M BACK BEBEH! Lol, awww thanks for your comment :') stop making me blush youuuu

@Casandra : aigoooo why so much angst deary? here's some fluff for you ;) *sends you hearts*

@SashaHRH : thanks dear readernim! I'll try my best and I hope you like this chappie too

@yurashawol : yeap! It's Taemin (as revealed in this chapter) and his appa's a really bad person, but no worries! his lucks just about to change heheh

@animaeholic : I agree ><

 

Now comments for chapter 3 :

@leamongga : Merry Christmas to you too dear :) <3

@SashaHRH : and I pray the same for you too! <3

@pinkwlgirl : god bless you too sweetie! and yeap there'll be quite a few more jongkeyminho moments but I think I foresee more 2min ;) you never knoooow <3  heheh

@jjongluvbummie : hehehe I hope it'll be of help :) anyways, thanks for your kind comment about the fic! and as you can see key really can't stay mad at jjong for long, lol