Chapter 3

Ddeokbukki and Banana Milk

 

Chapter 3

 

            Jonghyun jolted awake in the hospital; he blinked quickly as his eyes adjusted to the golden sunlight that had snuck in through a crack in the hospital ward’s curtains. The little boy that lay beneath the blankets on the bed next to his chair was still unconscious and he realized that the reason why he had woken up so suddenly, was because the kid was mumbling and thrashing about.

 

            Jonghyun held his hand and squeezed it a little, trying to calm him down by gently his hair; but the kid still mumbled incoherent words and twisted about, pushing away the blanket and kicking the bed’s side bar. Although Jonghyun couldn’t understand most of the noises that the boy made, there were some words the child shrieked that he could comprehend and they made his heart wrench painfully in his chest.

 

            “No more… st-stop it… don’t…” tears ran down his cheeks and left glistening trails that Jonghyun quickly wiped away.

 

            “Shhh….” The brunette whispered, gently patting his hair, “It’s okay now, it’s alright. I’ve got you.” A small hand shot up and gripped the sleeve of his shirt.

 

            The brunette jerked in surprise but when he looked at the little trembling hand that held his shirtsleeve so tightly he felt something in him trigger. A fatherly instinct that before this had only arisen when he was together with Minho, his son, rose within him and made him take the little hand and place a gentle kiss on it.

 

            When Minho had been a small baby and Jonghyun and Key had been very new parents, he had wailed and wailed a few nights after they had brought him home from the hospital. Key had tried feeding him, rocking, swathing him in fluffy blankets even taking him out for a walk but nothing could make Minho stop crying. Finally, when Jonghyun got home from work, a very disheveled and teary Key had Minho in his arms and proceeded to practically lose consciousness in a near faint on their living room couch.

 

            Jonghyun’s first reaction had been to panic because he had no previous experience whatsoever with babies (being the only child in his family), his and Key’s parents were having a holiday overseas and he didn’t know anybody who could help him quiet Minho down.

 

            However, a few hours later when an exhausted Key had finally awoken from his emergency slumber, he was shocked to be greeted with silence. Minho had stopped crying.

 

            “What?” Key had thought.

 

            He looked around for his husband and found that he and Minho were no longer downstairs. When he walked upstairs, he heard soft singing coming from the nursery. Peeking into Minho’s room, he saw Jonghyun rocking the baby in his arms and singing. By that time, Minho had finally fallen asleep and the two relieved parents were able to put him in his cot and get some well-deserved sleep.

 

            Henceforth, whenever Key couldn’t get Minho to stop crying, he would either wait for Jonghyun to come home or call him and get him to sing to the little tyke until he fell asleep. Even now, when Minho had a particularly bad day and wouldn’t respond to Key’s comforting, Jonghyun would cuddle him, have a little talk and sing and he would calm down.

 

            Now as Jonghyun looked down at the clearly distressed child; all his fatherly instincts were aroused and he started singing, softly and gently, with a slightly hoarse voice since he had just woken up, he sang.

 

“It’s a little bit funny, this feeling inside….

 

I know it’s not much but it’s the best I can do,

My gift is my song and this one’s for you…..

 

And you can tell everybody this is your song,

It may be quite simple but now that it's done,

I hope you don't mind,

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words…..

 

            Slowly but surely, the kid stopped mumbling and trembling. His little grip on Jonghyun’s shirtsleeve loosened until finally his hand slid down to the bed and light snores filled the room as Jonghyun finished singing.

 

How wonderful life is while you’re in the world.”

 

            Now that he was sleeping properly and didn’t look like he was having a nightmare anymore, you could see the childish innocence in his unconscious state. Last night when the nurses had cleaned up the kid and slipped him into bed they had all been enchanted by the beautiful wonder that had emerged after all the dirt had been wiped off.

 

            The small male had brown-bronze hair that was soft despite the copious amounts of grime that had been stuck in it before. Pale skin that seemingly had never seen the light of day, strangely complemented his fairy-like face. Jonghyun thought about his own son; Minho was tall for his age, had large eyes and dark hair. While Minho had a firm and strong character in his looks, the little boy before him had delicate features that stood even before he had been cleaned.

 

            Those slightly fragile features actually reminded him of his Kibum. His beautiful, pretty Kibum who preferred to be called Key; his gorgeous designer who recently died his hair blonde because it was apparently ‘in style’. He’d met him when they were in high school and they’d been together ever since. This wonderful man who cooked amazing meals and looked after their son so well. His version of Aphrodite. His wonderful hubby who-

 

            Jonghyun’s eyes widened with realization and his mouth opened in a silent ‘oh’.

 

            “Key is going to kill me.”

 

            The brunette frantically searched his pockets for his phone and nearly cried out in despair when he saw the 23 missed calls, 23 voicemails and 41 text messages. He’d set his phone on silent yesterday and had forgotten to disable the mute because he was too preoccupied with the little boy. Jonghyun swiped his finger across the screen and tapped his message app.

 

Yeobo, are you okay?

 

Jagiya where are you?

 

Are you still working?

 

Jjong?

 

            Scrolling further down to the latest messages, he pulled at his hair and tearlessly sobbed silently (dramatically) when he finished reading them.

 

YAH KIM JONGHYUN

 

ARE YOU IGNORING ME?

 

WHERE ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

 

IF YOU DON’T COME HOME I’M GOING TO GO TO YOUR OFFICE

 

KIM JONGHYUN YOU’D BETTER ANSWER ME RIGHT NOW

 

DON’T EVEN BOTHER COMING HOME BECAUSE I’M EXTREMELY MAD AND IF YOU DON’T CALL ME BACK WITHIN THE HOUR I’M REALLY GOING TO GO TO YOUR OFFICE TO HAUL YOUR BACK AND PUBLICLY (*BEEPCENSOREDBEEP*) AND (*BEEPCENSOREDBEEP*).

 

            The famed Kim Jonghyun. Veteran in working the scenes of crime. Decorated agent in the field of espionage. Feared by many criminals and wanted by all the ladies. Yes. That Kim Jonghyun, was reduced to a pile of hysteric, dramatic mess by his petite husband’s single threatening text message.

 

“KEY IS GOING TO KIIIIIILLLLLL MEEEEEEEE.”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N : Hello again! I'm here with a new chappie! So here we get some bonding time and if you're wondering who that child is or you haven't figured it out yet, YES that child is Taemin. (or is he? heeeheeee)

But guys umm my author's note today is going to be dedicated to something a little different. I'm sure everyone's either heard or red news about all the terrorist attacks all over the world but if you haven't please go and look it up. The terrorist attack in Sydney, the terrible attack on the school in Afghanistan and many others. Christmas is coming up and whoever you are or whatever religion you have, I hope that my dear readers will remember to have a moment's silence or pray with your family members and friends for all the other people in the world who can't celebrate Christmas. 

I'm also dedicating my authors note to each and every one of you. I went through a bit of a rough patch today and it's reminded me that there are probably those of you who are going to bad stuff too. I don't know if this will help but to all my ghost readers and all my commenting readers alike, have faith and have strength. It's hard and terrible now. It feels like you either don't have a choice at all or you've been given too many choices. Sometimes, it gets so hard to speak because you're holding back a scream that's disguised in the form of you crying or sobbing. I know how it feels like to be boxed in. 

But please know that I'm here for you and no matter what you're going through, I'm right here. Inbox me or PM me or whatever you want! I'm here and I hope my fanfic will somehow be a way for you to escape from the real world just for a little while. When you face the real world I hope you'll remember that someone is here for you. Someone is here and this someone says, HWAITING YOU BADASS LADY/MAN. YOU DA BOSS! :)

P/S : I still really need a cover photo for the story so please if you know anybody who can make one for me, I'm willing to pay! <3 Anyways, til next time babes. Please enjoy this chappie!