Chapter 2

Ddeokbukki and Banana Milk

 

Chapter 2

 

            Jonghyun sighed as he put his phone screen down on the desk and resumed checking his supplies for the night’s bust. He’d told Key that he would try to make it back for dinner, knowing that tonight would probably be long and tiring and he wonders now if he should have just told his yeobo that he wouldn’t be home until the next day.

 

            “You are so whipped,” Lee said, chuckling at the miserable look on his friend’s face.

 

            “Have you seen Key? You would be whipped too if you were married to him,” said another colleague, who winked at Jonghyun. Most of the team had seen Key once before, when the blonde male had brought a lunch box for Jonghyun. All of the men in the office (straight or not) had turned to stare at the beautiful male who had sashayed into the building, kissed his hubby and left all of them in a befuddled state of mind.

 

            The chief walked into the room and all of them immediately stood at attention. “Alright guys, this is going to be a long and hard night. We have to make sure the target’s in the house before we move in, so get into position and don’t make a move until I say so. Also remember to be careful of any present victims. A young girl was reported missing a few days ago and the eye-witness says that she saw her there with him. The safety of that little girl is of our utmost priority. Is that clear?!”

 

            “Yes, Sir!”

 

            “Move out!”

 

            The elite team of agents filed out of the room and got into the van, driving alongside the SWAT van to the convict’s confirmed location. A woman who had reportedly seen their target with a young girl near her house had tipped them off and headquarters had been quick to confirm the sighting.  

 

When they reached the suburban house, all of them took their positions and waited for sign that the criminal was still in the house. They fastidiously kept in position, staring through their gun scopes or binoculars and waited.

 

            And waited.

 

            And then, waited some more.

 

            When Jonghyun snuck a peek at the stylish black watch Key had bought him for their 5th anniversary, he saw that they had waited three hours and it was already 12am. Just as he resumed his watch on the house, a light in one of the downstairs rooms and the shadow of a man was seen moving about.

 

            To their luck, he moved to the door of the house and opened it, carrying a bag of trash and shiftily looking about, hiding his face with a scarf and hat. A crackling command sounded in the intercom in his ear and they all closed in around their target. He ran back into the house when he saw the men in black coming at him and closed and locked the door. A colleague kicked it down as the chief motioned for half of the team to secure the back door.

 

            Suddenly, the sound of a gunshot was heard. They rushed into the house and as a few of the men ran to check the top floor, they heard a child scream. Motioning towards the basement, one of the men led the way into the basement and they saw two dirty children, one on a torn mattress and the other crying and sobbing in the other corner of the room.

 

            The man they had been chasing after and hoping to lock away, was lying motionless on the floor, bleeding from a wound in his head as a gun lay trapped beneath his fingers on the floor. A man checked his pulsed and declared him dead, while one of the female agents went to the crying child.

 

            When Jonghyun moved to the other side of the room to see the other kid, his heart just stopped.

 

            The child had long bronze hair, matted with blood and dirt and although his thin frame and delicate features nearly led Jonghyun to believe he was a girl, there was a certain solidity to the way he was curled up in that fetal position. There were scars lacing his bare arms and cigarette burns were littered across his slender neck. His chest was a mess of bruises and his small feet had multiple cuts from the rough cement floor.

 

            A rusty shackle bound him to the wall beside the mattress by a long chain and he was only wearing a pair of worn shorts that hung loosely off his boney hips. He looked so pale and malnourished that it hurt to even look at the extent of his mistreatment.

 

            The female agent who had already brought the little girl to the ground floor of the house saw him standing there in shock, and gasped when she saw the little boy too. She moved to approach the child but Jonghyun held her back and whispered, “Let me.”

 

            She nodded and passed him the blanket she’d been holding before walking back up the stairs.

 

            The brunette officer gently wrapped the boy in the blanket and carried him up the stairs. The hospital had been called and several paramedics were waiting outside the house to attend to any casualties. As he passed the boy to the paramedic, he said, “Could you wait a while before going to the hospital? I’d like to accompany the boy there.”

 

            “You can’t wake or question him until he’s had proper treatment! At the very least wait fo-”

            “I’m not going to do anything like that,” Jonghyun cut in, “I just want to go with him and make sure he’s alright. Will you wait for me? Please?”

 

            The medic looked at the sincere look in his eyes and resignedly sighed, “He needs to be treated soon. I’ll wait five minutes. If you’re not back here in five minutes, we’re going without you.”

 

            He turned around and walked back to the ambulance before Jonghyun could thank him and laid the boy on a bed.

 

            Jonghyun ran back into the house and found his chief talking to a few other agents, “Sir!”

 

            “Yes, Jonghyun? Have the children been sent to the hospital yet?”

 

            “The girl’s on her way already but the boy hasn’t left yet. He’s with the paramedics already, Sir.”

 

            “Why haven’t they gone yet?”

 

            “I asked to follow. I want to go with the boy and make sure he’s alright, so may I leave duty early please, Sir.”

 

            The older man looked at his leading agent; he was surprised that Jonghyun was asking for permission to follow the child because it certainly wasn’t their first case involving children and he wondered what was so different about that child that made his best agent want to leave duty early when he normally would’ve stayed right to the very end to help out.

 

            “Alright, but I expect you to be in the office early Monday morning and ready to help me with some paperwork.”

 

            “Yes, Sir! Thank you, Sir!”

 

            The chief watched his officer run back to the ambulance and thought about Jonghyun for awhile. To be honest, he’d been hoping to retire sometime soon and he had been evaluating all of the members of his team to see who could take his place. He was getting a bit too old for all of this but he didn’t want to leave his agents in the hands of someone incapable of stepping up to the task just because he was in a hurry to retire.

 

            He saw Jonghyun get into the ambulance with the boy and saw him gently take his small hand.

 

            Then he thought:

 

“Why not?”

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N : Annyeoongg, my lovely readers! I was so excited to see all the new subbies that I decided to update a little (actually a lot) earlier than I planned too. This chapter is a little boring (I'M SOORRRYYY *SOBS*) because I'm getting all the little details straightened out and trying to introduce you to Jonghyun's job. If you didn't manage to understand what his job is from this chappie then let me explain it to you a little. He's basically one of the best agents in his elite team of agents. They're a tightknit group of people who watch out for each other and consist of both male and female agents.

That's basically all there is to know about his job. LOL.

Anyways, we've got 17 (SEVENBLOODYTEEN) subscribers nowww!! Thank you so much to those people who have subscribed and I'll try not to let you down ;) To those two other people who upvoted my story.... THANK YOUUUUUUU *SQUISHES YOU INTO A GREAT BIG HUG AND SMOTHERS YOU WITH LOVE* I AM NOT WOOOORTTHYYYYYY... but still <3 <3 <3 heheh :)

@pinkwlgirl : awww I'm glad that my fanfic is what you're looking for and I hope it'll continue to be satisfying for youu <3

@casandra : thank youuuuuu :) I tried my best to make it kinda fluffy because I'm not particularly a fan of angsty stuff and there'll probably quite a bit more of fluff in these (BEWARE) heheheh <3

@Aoife_8910 : Hey there! I hope you like Jonghyun's viewpoint, he's honestly just a big baby when he's with Key heheh <3

@yurashawol : thank youuu! I hope this is soon enough for you heheh I was actually planning on updating next Saturday but I ended up finishing the chappie a lot faster than expected so I updated early. I hope you like it!

@goojayhee : hahaha this is pretty really soon ;) 

@SashaHRH : thank you so very much for the energy and joy :) commentors like you are really so very sweet *gives you big hugs* I hope you'll stick around and join me on this story's road, it might get a little bumpy but I hope you'll like it all the same and any ideas or any comments you have for the story is much appreciated, praying for energy and joy for you too reader-nim! <3

 

P/S : As all of you can see, sadly I don't have a cover photo or a picture on the introductory page for this story and I would just like to plead with anyone who makes nice edited pics to make a simple one for me (pleaase) if it's not too much trouble for you. I'll gift the person who makes a good cover photo for this story 100 karma points to thank you for your efforts. If you have any friends who make edits then please tell me about them in the comments section so I can ask them to make me a cover photo for the story (I'm willing to negotiate a price). Thank you! <3