Unexpected Mentor

Phantom Friends

Jimin was exactly where you had left her... but she wasn't alone. Two of the Honor Society boys were with her. You didn't quite remember their names, only that they had been with Heechul to your friend to that meeting she had had. As you approached, you could hear them hitting on her. It kind of disgusted you, but she seemed to be enjoying the attention.

"Would you like to grab dinner with me this Saturday? I know a great place!" One of them said enthusiastically.

"Uh, sure. That sounds great, Eunhyuk." Jimin beamed.

Ah, so that one was Eunhyuk. 

"Awesome!" His face shone. "Your friend's back. I don't think we ever got to officially meet her."

You smiled politely at the trio as your friend introduced you.

"Madalyn, this is Eunhyuk" She gestured toward him. "And this is Donghae. Donghae and Eunhyuk, meet Madalyn."

Both guys murmured their polite 'nice to meet you's and smiled at you.

"If I may ask, there have been a few rumors about how many languages you can speak. Would you be kind enough to tell us exactly how many you know?" Donghae queried. 

You smiled at the straight forwardness of his attitude. "I am fluent in seven languages. I'm still practicing Korean, so I didn't count it."

"Seven?" The boys echoed. "Which ones?"

Jimin looked at you. "You really know that many languages? I knew you spoke to Prince in Mandarin, but I didn't know there were more."

Smiling, you began to list the languages. "I grew up speaking English then learned Italian, Russian, French, Japanese, Mandarin, and Cantonese during high school."

"Your school offered that many courses?" Donghae blurted.

"No. My father is a supplier manager. Since his company sends him to work with their suppliers in different countries, we moved a lot."

"You could pick up the language that fast?" Eunhyuk was amazed.

You laughed. "My parents say that I'm like a sponge for languages. I could speak to the natives within four months of moving there."

"That is amazing! I really didn't know that." Jimin stared at you.

Before you could respond again, the door to the library opened and shut harshly, catching everyone's attention. Heechul stalked over to the guys.

"I thought you had to study. If you're here to flirt, I'm leaving."

Wow. You stared at the scene, not knowing exactly what was going on.

"What happened? You were just in a good mood when you left." 

"Things change, Donghae."

"We were just offering to tutor the girls, that's all." Eunhyuk piped up. "Isn't that right?"

"Neh." Jimin offered quickly. "Eunhyuk said he'd help me with my science studies."

"And you?" Heechul gazed at you. "Did Donghae offer to help you?"

"Aniyo. I just got here. He didn't have time for that."

"What were you going to help her with?"

"I..." Donghae stuttered. "I was going to offer to help with her English studies, but I suppose she doesn't need the help."

You looked at them. "Thank you for your kind offer, but you would be correct. I need more help with Korean than English."

Heechul seemed to study you for a second. "Korean? How do you get by in your classes if you don't know Korean?"

"I can understand most of it, but Jimin has to help me with the rest. I'm afraid that helping me is affecting her studies."

"Then why don't you ask someone whose classes won't be affected by it?"

"I... I don't know anyone else." You mumble, dropping your gaze to the books on the table.

"Fine." Heechul scoffed. "I suppose I'll have to do it, then."

"YOU???" The other two guys said incredulously.

"You don't like helping people with studies." 

"Things can change." Heechul stated, then began to drag the boys away. "Oh, and I'll meet you here to help you. We start tonight at six." The trio left.

You thought for a second. Wait... you were actually free at that time. How did he know that tonight was not the night you had your late class at six?

"How did you get him to do that?" Jimin's voice broke into your mind.

"What?"

"Didn't you hear them? Heechul doesn't help people with their studies. Why did he agree to help you?"

"I... I just don't know."

 

After you left the library and said goodbye to Jimin, your phone chimed. The message was from Oppa.

Is everything going well? How did your studying go?

You debated whether you should tell him about Heechul or not.

Things are going well. A sunbae has offered to help with my studies and my Korean.

You are not fluent in Korean?

Not really. I still have a lot to learn.

I hope your sunbae helps you a lot then. I have class, so I'll check on you later. 

 

Oppa didn't reply after his class, and your study session with Heechul loomed closer and closer with each passing minute.

How am I supposed to sit in the library with him for an hour? Won't his fangirls do something to me?

Shaking those thoughts from your head, you drifted out of the on-campus cafe. Jimin had asked you to meet her outside of her late afternoon class that day, so you headed toward the building she was in. You found her classroom just as the students began to vacate it. 

"Jimin!" You called. She saw you, and began to head in your direction.

"Yay, you came! I just wanted to tell you before you go to the library that you're going to have to watch your back now."

"Why?"

Jimin looked at you like you were a little slow. "Because you're going to be spending time together with THE most popular guy in the entire school. Girls can get crazy jealous when they see their 'guy' with someone else."

You were slightly confused. "I thought he didn't have a girlfriend."

"He doesn't, but some girls like to think that they own him anyways. It's disgusting." She made a face.

"Okay. I'll be careful. I have to head to the library now or I'll be late." You waved at each other before going different directions.

 

Reaching the library, you took a deep breath then opened the door. You noticed that the library was mostly empty and that Heechul was not there yet. Silently, you wished that he would not show up at all. You sat down at one of the front tables and began studying, waiting for him to arrive.

Ten minutes later, the library door opened and shut quickly. Heechul practically ran past you, dropping a piece of paper on your notebook as he went.

Wait a few minutes then join me at the farthest table behind the bookshelves. 

'Wait a few minutes'. His fangirls must be following him, otherwise he probably would have just sat with you in the front. After five minutes, you picked up your books and headed toward the bookshelves. Around the last corner, you saw that he was where his note indicated. The last table in the very back of the library that was hidden from the doors by the bookself in front of it; and he sat with his back to the wall.

"Annyeonghaseyo." You greeted him.

He did not return your greeting. "Good. You seem to know the basics, at least. Let's test how much you know to see what you need to learn."

The next hour was grueling as Heechul quizzed you on words, definitions, phrases, and even Hangul. When you had left, you wished that you could just tell him that you never wanted to take his 'lessons' again, but he had sternly told you to meet him at three the next afternoon in the same place. He was NOT taking 'no' for an answer.

When you got back to your dorm, you collapsed on your bed. The lesson had been more exhausting than your classes. You hoped that things would get better from now on and that you would no longer hinder Jimin's studies by needing her help.

You didn't realize that you had fallen asleep until you woke up to your alarm in the morning. Checking your phone, you saw that there were six missed text messages. Three from Prince, two from Jimin, and one from Oppa.