Surprising Decisions

Phantom Friends

"Are you alright, Madalyn?" Jimin stared at you worriedly.

"Neh. I just have a lot on my mind." 

"A lot? It has to be since you've been zoning out every day since I had to leave class. Did something happen? I saw Heechul talking to you."

Heechul? You had nearly forgotten about him thanks to Oppa. "Ah. He told me that I should be more mindful of where I put my phone."

"Oh. That's all? You seemed to be really distracted. Is that all it was about?" She really sounded concerned.

You look at your friend carefully for a moment. "It's... I've been getting text messages from someone."

"What?" Her voice is loud after your whispered words. "Someone? Who?"

"I'm not sure."

Jimin wore an incredulous look. "How are you not sure?"

"Well, he wouldn't tell me his name, but he seems to know mine. I think he's a student here."

"He?"

You shake your head slightly at her. "He told me to call him Oppa. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do, but he keeps messaging me. We just talk, and he's really sweet."

"Awe." She teases. "Do you have a crush on your secret friend?"

"No." You scoff. "I think we may actually be friends."

"You don't even know his name."

Your smile fell. "I know. That's why I'm so confused. I feel like I know him yet I don't at the same time. What should I do?"

Jimin looked thoughtful as she considered what you told her. She remained silent for a few minutes.

"I suppose it doesn't hurt if you simply talk. But you have to promise me that you won't try to meet him without someone there, too. Please, Maddie!"

You start. She only called you Maddie when she was being extremely serious. "I promise. I wasn't going to meet him anyways."

"Good. If he even suggests it, you tell me right away!" Her serious expression turned playful.

"I will." You smack her arm playfully. "Why don't we get back to studying for the test like we're supposed to!"

She giggled in response, barely noticing the students walking into the library behind them.

 

Heechul stared at his phone, blindly following his friends into the library when Donghae caught his attention. "Isn't that the girl from Honor Society? She's here with her friend." He turned to see Jimin playfully laugh at one of your comments, and you laugh in return. 

"She's pretty. I wonder if Jimin would introduce me to her friend. I heard she speaks five languages, too."

"No way, I heard it was only three! What do you think, Heechul?"

"I don't know. Why don't you ask her, Eunhyuk?" He turned back to his phone and walked off to find a table.

 

Are you studying for your test, Madbug? You haven't replied to me in a while.

You showed Jimin the message from Prince, then replied.

I'm studying. I thought you had 'things' to do, Buttercup.

Haha. Just remember not to call me that when you see me. I only agreed to it because you looked so sad when I said no.

I only say it out of love. Now, I need to keep studying, stop annoying me :P

Oh, quit lying. I don't annoy you, you love me too much. :D

You laugh, turning the phone so your friend could see the text. 

"He's so silly!" She laughs with you. "Ask him when I get to meet him."

Jimin wants to know when she gets to meet you.

Hmm, that's going to be a surprise, but it may be sooner than you think. :)

Showing Jimin the last text, you both squeal about the idea of seeing him. It's been several months since you saw him last. When you had learned of your father's latest move to Korea, Henry decided to move to China to further his acting and singing. You had hugged each other goodbye at the airport until your parents pulled you away from him so you wouldn't miss the flight to Korea. Leaving him was one of the hardest things you ever did, even after moving constantly throughout school. 

"We're going to see him!" You squeak out. 

"Probably not before Christmas, though. I don't think he'd be able to book any flights before the new year." Jimin seemed slightly disappointed. 

"I know. I miss him so much though. It's too bad I can't visit China over break. My parents won't allow me to leave until January." You pouted.

"Well, there's always the spring break."

"Yeah..." You sighed deeply. "That's still so far away though."

Your friend hugged you. 

"I... have to use the restroom." You got up and left the room before she could follow you. Once you got close, you headed down an empty hallway and out the door instead. You pulled out your phone when you reached the garden, dialling the only number in your phone that you had memorized.

*RING*

*RING*

*RING*

Maddie? Are you alright, you never call me?

"Uh, I just needed to hear your voice. I suddenly felt very lonely without you here."

What about Jimin? Did she go somewhere?

"No. I just think she doesn't know what to say to me sometimes."

Is everything alright with your schooling? With your family?"

"Well, dad has to move again. I think they're moving to Argentina this time, but he gave me the option of staying here to complete college."

Oh. Have you decided what you're going to do?

"No, but I'll have to decide by Christmas. They're finalizing the arrangements by February, and they need to know if I'm going."

If you go, I may not ever be able to see you again. Korea is just a flight away, but Argentina...

You began to cry. "I know, Prince. I don't want to go there, but I'm scared of being here alone. I wish you were here to help me, it would be better then."

The line was silent for a moment. What if I came there?

"What do you mean? I don't want you to give up your career to come here just because I'm sad."

I may not have to. Do you remember the competition that I won? I got scouted by Jackie Chan. He wants me to be a part of a group he's forming, and it's in Korea. It would create opportunities for me that could lead me to where I want to be.

"In Korea? Prince, I don't want you to decide this because of me. If you want to accept his offer, do it, but don't force yourself into something you don't want."

I think I want this, Madbug. It's Jackie Chan, and he's hand-picked me to be in his group. It's any actor's dream come true. I don't think I can afford to waste this opportunity.

"If that's what you want, then I'll see you in Korea. I think everything may be better if you're here. Thank you, Buttercup."

I thought I told you not to call me that in public.

"There's no one around." You chuckled at his response. "I should go back. Jimin is probably wondering where I am."

I'm glad you're laughing again. I'll text you later, Madbug. Love you forever.

"Love you, too. Bye!" You hung up the phone. Feeling slightly better, you headed back to the library where your friend was waiting.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Double update since chapter 2 is so short!
Thanks for reading!