Unusual Science Class

Phantom Friends

You were new to the school. Not new enough to need guidance or to get lost on the way to classes, but new, or perhaps socially awkward, enough to only have one friend in this place. 

Your classes were boring for the most part. The hardest thing for you was the language barrier. You had spent your primary years in a small town in the eastern United States, then had to move just before middle school due to your dad's relocation for his job. Halfway through middle school, you moved again. This time, you moved to London where you thought you would finish school. Fate, however, had other plans.

At the start of high school, your father was ordered to Milan, and then Moscow six months after that. Paris followed, and you managed to complete an entire year there before abruptly relocating to Tokyo. That was where you had found your love for J-pop, anime, and all things Japanese.

Three-quarters of the way through the school year, you moved to China. By the end of the school year, you were informed that you were moving from Beijing to Guangzhou over the summer. You spent half of your final year of high school there, before being relocated to Sydney and finally completing your schooling. 

Along with everything the schools had taught you over the past several years, you had also learned about the cultures of the places you had been, and could even speak their languages. Upon enrolling in college, you had realized that because you had to list the languages you could speak. Your first language, the one you were taught as a baby, was English. The second came in Milan when you had to learn Italian to understand the teachers. Russian followed in Moscow, then French, Japanese, Mandarin, and even Cantonese from the move to Guangzhou. Australia had come as a relief when you could actually speak the language without having to learn it, although your English was a little rusty from years of non use. 

Ah, Sydney...

That was where you met your first 'forever friend'. That's a term he came up with. You met him one rainy day when you took cover in the doorway of a dance studio. He was leaving just as you rushed under the awning, nearly bumping into him. 

"I'm sorry." You accidentally apologized to him in Cantonese, then repeated the phrase in English. 

The boy looked shocked. "You... speak Cantonese?"

"Ah..." You absently scratched your head. "I just moved here from Guangzhou and I'm still getting used to speaking English again."

He studied you for a moment, then smiled brightly. "I'm Henry. May I walk you home? I have an umbrella..."

His words faltered from sure to unsure, and that endeared him to you. "That would be great!"

The two of you smiled at each other before he opened the umbrella, and you left together. The entire walk to your house was filled with small talk, but you learned that he was half Chinese, and that he could speak Mandarin and Cantonese fluently as well as English. Although he was out of high school already, you became quick friends and promised to always be in contact with each other no matter where either of you went.

 

"Madalyn! Madalyn!"

The feminine voice snaps you out of your memories. 

"Neh, Jimin?"

"Could you take notes for me if I'm called out? I'm supposed to have a meeting with the Honor Society during this class." Jimin stared at you worriedly. "You're not going to zone out and miss the notes, are you?"

You chuckle at her antics. "Aniyo. You can't zone out with the way Mr. Shin's voice cuts through everything."

Her answering giggle is cut short by said professor's shrill voice. "Seats, everyone! Science waits for no one!" He usually began class this way. Within a minute, he was fully engrossed in the new lesson for the day.

 

Twenty minutes into the class, three senior students knocked on the door. "Annyeonghaseyo. We need to take Park Jimin for a meeting with the Honor Society." One of the boys addressed Mr. Shin.

 Jimin gathered her books, then waved to you on her way out. Whispers began to circulate around the room, buzzing with excitement within seconds.

"Oh, look at Heechul! He's so hot!"

"I know! I'm jealous of Jimin for being escorted out by him."

"I could die happy now just to know that he came into my class!"

"But he wasn't even here for you!"

"I know, but he was still here." 

You roll your eyes at the swooning girls as you focus on your note-taking again. Heechul must be pretty popular around here. 

 

Near the end of class, Jimin was escorted back by the same three boys from before. Since class was nearly over, they stayed for a while to finish explaining things to her that she apparently needed to know. 

As the professor dismissed the class, you quickly shoved your books into your bag to leave. Before you could stand, Jimin grabbed ahold of your arm.

"Will you wait for me? I want to tell you something before you leave."

"Oh, alright." You mumble as you sat back down. Taking your notes back out, you begin to study them when your phone suddenly chimes. 

Maddie! How are your classes going? I'm on a short break and wanted to check up on my forever friend!

You smile at the text message then quickly reply.

Classes are going well, Prince. Jimin asked me to wait for her so she could talk to me, so I'm studying.

Tell her I said hi! Also, when are you coming to visit me? I miss you so much already!

Leaning toward Jimin, you notice that one of the guys has taken interest in your constantly chiming phone. "Jimin, Prince said to tell you hi."

She grinned. "Tell him that I say hi, too and that I'm taking good care of you like I promised." She turned back to the guys, who immediately asked who 'Prince' was. 

Chuckling, you reply to his latest message.

She said hi, too, and says that she's taking good care of me like she promised. You know I can't visit until school break, and that's not for another month. 

But I miss you, forever friend!

I miss you too.

A moment went by without another message, you thought he wasn't going to reply when the phone dinged again.

I have to get back to work. I'll message you when I get time. Love you forever! :D

Love you too! Talk to you later!

Smiling, you lay your phone on the table beside your notebook and begin to study again. A few seconds later, Jimin caught your attention so that you could leave. While packing away your notes, you realize that every girl from the class hung back and was still in the room.

"Let's go." 

"Okay." You whisper. "What's with all of the girls?"

Jimin glanced around the room. "Ah. They're probably here for Heechul. We better get going before they mob us."

You nodded then followed her toward the door. The guys joined you, causing the remaining students to hurry out of the room. Outside, the guys began to walk away at a faster pace, leaving Jimin and you behind.

"Oh, I forgot to tell them something!" Your friend squeaked as she ran up to the guys.

When she approached them, one of the guys slowed down. He seemed to be texting as he walked. One brave girl ran up to him and asked if he would walk her to her next class. He cooly replied that he had no time for such things, and turned back to the phone he held. She ran back to her waiting friends who relentlessly began asking her what it felt like to be rejected by Heechul.

So... he was Heechul.

Catching sight of the device, you began to panic. What did you do with your phone? It had been on the table when you put your notes away, but was gone when you left the room. You must have transferred it to your bag or your pocket, that was it! You began to search your bag when you found your pockets empty. Where could that phone be?!?!?!

A second later, Heechul turned around. You felt his eyes on you as you tore through your bag, but still could not find your phone. His amused chuckle sounded in front of you. Your gaze slid to the senior as he slipped his hand into his pocket and produced your phone.

"You should really watch where you leave things." With that, he turned and walked away.

You stared after him for a second until Jimin called for you. "You should have said 'Thank you'!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. That was rude, wasn't it?"

She nodded at you then linked her arm in yours. "Well, lets meet up later so that I can get all of the notes from class!"

"Alright." You can't help but smile at her cheeriness. "Text me when you have time."

"I will!" She sang as she skipped off toward her next class.