Part Three

The Widower

„Where shall we start?“ One of the forensic scientists asks the moment he and his team step into the house where the detectives are waiting for them.

After having ensured Yunho's permission to search through the house and gaining the knowledge of where to search for what, Yoochun immediately called for the forensic team to come over to Jung Yunho's house and he is sure that they are about to solve the case although Yunho's rather quick agreement surprised him very much and still makes him feel slightly uneasy.

"How about we start in the private rooms first?" Yoochun suggests and a small wave of contentment washes through him the moment he catches how Yunho's gaze hardens a little at what he said."They are upstairs, right?"

"Yes." Yunho replies shortly.

Yoochun doesn't say anything further as he leads the team of forensic scientists upstairs with Jaejoong and Yunho himself following leisurely.

Jaejoong's eyes are soon on Yunho as the two of them walk up the stairs side by side and when the CEO looks right back at him, the detective chooses to not avoid his gaze. He just can't figure out what's going through this man's mind and when Yunho smiles at him, Jaejoong can't do anything else but stare until he trips and is about to fall. But then there's a big hand holding him and pulling him closer against a taut body, the intoxicating smell of the other's musky cologne making Jaejoong weak for a brief moment.

"I got you." Yunho whispers, the deep voice carrying those words towards Jaejoong successfully pulling the detective out of his reverie as he brings some distance between them before climbing the last few stairs only to see his partner and the forensic team entering the room closest to the stairs already.

He chooses to not look behind him and check what Yunho is doing, merely following his partner into the room but stopping the moment Yoochun signals for him to remain by the door, most probably to let him have an eye on Yunho and Jaejoong is sure that he couldn't have been assigned for a worse task at this very moment.

Yunho is soon standing by the door of the room and Jaejoong is more than upset to find his heart reacting to the CEO against his will as it races out of nervousness. He tries his hardest to ignore Yunho's presence as he focuses on watching his partner and the others walking around as they search their way through room which has been marked by Bora and her personal things.

"Are you alright?"

Jaejoong flinches the moment he hears the husky voice ringing from right behind him and he feels the other's chest colliding with his back, making him feel just how close Yunho is to him.

"Why shouldn't I be?" Jaejoong asks back as he steps forward a little in order to get away from Yunho.

"Because you seem rather bothered by something. Did you sprain your ankle or anything of that sort as you tripped?"

"No, nothing of that sort." The detective says."I'm more than fine."

For a brief moment, there comes nothing from Yunho as the CEO moves to lean against the doorframe and crosses his arms over his chest.

"Say, Detective Kim. Has anyone ever told you before that you are a terrible liar?"

Jaejoong doesn't reply, but he doesn't think that Yunho actually expects an answer from him anyways. Nothing further is being said between them and Jaejoong is more than happy when Yoochun decides to move on to the next room several agonizing minutes later.

Yoochun is the first one to step into the home office with the forensic team following him. Jaejoong does not enter the room as he makes sure to keep Yunho from his colleagues so they can do their work without any disturbances. And much to his delight, Yunho does not attempt to talk to him again nor does he try to get closer to him this time around.

"It reeks of bleach." Yoochun utters and receives hums of agreement from the forensic scientists in return.

The head of the forensic team then crouches down to have a closer look at the carpet as he realizes that the overpowering smell is coming from the ground. He runs his gloved fingers along a spot on the carpet before leading them to his nose, the smell he catches bringing a frown onto his face.

"It seems that a great amount of bleach was used to clean the carpet not long ago."

"Well there are some things not even bleach can get rid of." Yoochun says and takes a short glance at Yunho as if to see how the CEO would react to his words, but Yunho remains silent and seemingly unfazed, much to Yoochun's dismay.

"Eunhyuk, give me the fluorescein and the ultraviolet light." The head of the forensic team commands as he looks at the colleague standing by the door before he turns around to direct his next command to the man standing next to him."Donghae, draw the curtains and switch the lights off once you've closed the door."

Eunhyuk and Donghae immediately do as told and Jaejoong finds himself automatically pushing at Yunho's back with mild force in order to make him step into the room fully before he closes the door behind them to spare Donghae the trouble of doing so himself. But he removes his hand from the other's body just as fast as he had placed it there when he notices Yunho staring at him.

The moment Donghae draws the curtains, Eunhyuk decides to turn on the flashlight in his right hand after giving the wanted items to his boss in order to make it easier for him to see things when Donghae turns the lights off a second after.

All eyes are on the head of the forensic team as he sprays fluorescein onto the spot of the carpet where he suspects to find something useful, making sure to cover a large part of the dark grey fabric before he tells Eunhyuk to point the flashlight away from him as he turns on the ultraviolet light and hovers over the carpet with it.

There is a large spot on the ground which glows brighter than the rest of the carpet and the forensic team as well as the detectives know exactly what that glow hints at.

"Donghae."

Donghae is quick to react as he approaches his colleagues and takes out a tube with a moistened Q-tip before opening it to swab the glowing part of the carpet with the Q-tip to take a sample of whatever it is. As soon as Eunhyuk turns the lights back on, Donghae applies the Q-tip to a Hemastix strip which contains Tetramethylbenzidine, a substance which makes it possible for them to determine blood through a color test.

They don't have to wait long before the Hemastix strip turns blue-green and therefore implies that the substance on the carpet is most probably blood. And there is a lot of it on the carpet.

"Do you know what the change of color means?" Yoochun asks as he looks at Yunho and gestures towards the Hemastix strip in Donghae's hand, not bothering to wait for an answer as he continues to speak."It means that the substance on the carpet is most probably blood and if someone loses such a huge amount of it, it's unlikely that the person is still alive. And if it is blood and if it's your wife's blood, then you are the last person who saw her alive. And then, you will have a lot of explaining to do, Mr. Jung."

The CEO's stoic expression does not waver and his reaction – or rather the lack of it – somehow gives Yoochun chills.

"I think it's time for you to leave my house, gentlemen."

Yoochun smirks almost maliciously."We will. But you are leaving with us."

The older detective then looks at Jaejoong, swiftly giving his partner a firm nod when the other is looking back at him and Jaejoong knows what that nod is supposed to signal for him to do.

Jaejoong moves to stand behind Yunho and handcuffs the CEO, his partner's voice filling the whole room as Yoochun arrests Yunho for being suspected of having murdered his wife and informs him about his rights.

The CEO himself does not say anything nor does he try to defend himself and Yoochun does not know what to make of Yunho's behavior. Has he simply given up on denying is crime? Does he have something up his sleeve which could exonerate him? Or is he simply too coldblooded to be bothered by the arrest? Whatever it is that makes Yunho remain calm despite the situation he is in, he is making Yoochun feel more than uneasy.

Jaejong leads Yunho out of the room right after his partner is done talking and tries his best to not look at the CEO, but when he notices the other looking at him from the corner of his eyes, the detective finds himself staring right back into the other's dark orbs.

Jaejoong is not sure what he sees there, but it's neither fear nor anger which he has seen in so many other criminals' eyes when he arrested them.

Jung Yunho is one big mystery.
 

• ♔ •


„He refuses to speak but doesn't want to have his lawyer come over either, he's getting on my nerves.“ Yoochun grunts the moment he and Jaejoong have closed the door of the interrogation room from the outside.“I don't understand this man.“

Jaejoong doesn't know what to say in response. He himself doesn't really understand Yunho either. He was the one who practically presented the chance to catch him on a silver platter by giving them the permission to look through his house although a smart man like him must've known that the search would only end to his disadvantage and now he is somewhat back paddling by refusing to talk to them and yet he doesn't want to call his lawyer and end the interrogation.

His behavior is puzzling to say the least and Jaejoong knows just how irritated and upset Yoochun must be. They are so close to the truth and yet so far away.

„Guys, Kangin ssi wants to see you.“ A colleague who is at least one head taller than Yoochun and Jaejoong says as he walks past them.“It seems that he got something for you.“

„Thanks.“ Yoochun replies briefly before looking at his partner.“Let's go.“

Maybe now they will finally be able to get one step closer towards the liquidation of the case once again. If Yunho doesn't want to tell them anything, the evidences will.
 

• ♔ •


Yunho looks towards the door the moment he hears the sound of it being opened, but instead of looking at the man who approaches him with a deep frown and halts on the other side of the table, the CEO's attention is on the man standing behind Yoochun instead. He doesn't care about the sharp glare Yoochun is sending his way nor about the taunting smile on the other's lips. All he cares about is the way Jaejoong ends up looking at him although he tries his best not to.

„Mr. Jung.“ Yoochun starts as he sits down across from Yunho, the new evidence they received just now helping him to not let irritation get the better of him when he notices that Yunho isn't even paying attention on him.“The blood test confirmed that the blood sample we took from the carpet in your home office belongs to your wife and as I've explained to you before, a person who lost so much blood is most likely not alive anymore.“

Yunho remains silent as he finally averts his eyes from Jaejoong who seems rather relieved to see the CEO stare at the desk in front of him instead before chills make their way down his spine the moment he notices the way Yunho's lips curve up into a smile which causes Yoochun's frown to deepen and truth to be told, Yoochun is kind of scared of the rotten truth and dark, dark side of Jung Yunho which they are about to uncover.

He has never seen someone reacting so coldly to the news of someone's death before.

His father once told him that sooner or later, every detective or police officer will meet that one criminal who will scare him to the bone and leave his mark in his life like an ugly burn which will eventually turn into a deep scar he will carry around for the rest of his life.

Yoochun has a feeling that Jung Yunho is going to be that one criminal for him.

„What do you expect to hear from me by telling me about these things?“

Quickly forcing himself to regain his composure, Yoochun clears his throat as he leans forward."I want you to tell me what happened last Friday while you and your wife were home alone and I want to know how her blood got onto the carpet in your home office. And I want to know where you've hidden her corpse."

Momentary silence thickens the air in the room as Yoochun's and Jaejoong's eyes are trained on the man who can easily make them shiver with just one smile and is seemingly enjoying the whole situation as if it's part of a game he made the rules for.

"Nothing happened, to answer your first question." Yunho leans back and crosses his arms over his chest, seemingly relaxed."As for the other two questions, I'm afraid that I don't know the answers to them."

Yoochun clenches his jaw and balls his hands into fists as he stares at the other. The nerves of this man.

"You are lying and we both know it. Admit it that you had to get rid of your wife because she found out about your affairs and wanted to harm your lovers and pressured you into having children with her." Yoochun can't hold it back anymore and the anger explodes in great waves as he raises his voice."She made your life miserable by controlling you and you couldn't take it anymore so you killed her to get her out of your way!"

Jaejoong gulps. He has never seen Yoochun this angry before, but he somehow saw this coming. All the anger and irritation his partner had to keep within himself throughout the whole investigation despite his dislike towards the CEO was bound to be released sooner or later and that moment has come now. His gaze then shifts to Yunho who seems rather unimpressed by Yoochun's outburst and puts more fuel to the fire by not reacting at all.

"Tell me the truth. You killed her so you can continue with your dirty affairs, am I right?"

Much to Yoochun's and Jaejoong's surprise, Yunho's expression changes at that.

"Dirty? The only dirty commitment I ever entered was my marriage with that whicked witch." Yunho's voice hardens as hatred seeps through and taints his voice with roughness."She ruined everything good I had in my life."

'I got you.' Yoochun thinks in satisfaction.

"And that's why you got rid of her, isn't it? Because she ruined your dirty affa-"

"Yes that's why I got rid of her!" Yunho uncrosses his arms and leans forward, his eyes filled with fury as he screams."She was nothing but an irritation to me and our marriage was nothing but a business deal. Everything good I had in my life was outside of that marriage and her dirty, controlling hands so stop calling it dirty!"

'Gotcha.'

The change of emotions comes so fast that Yoochun can't even bring himself to try hiding the grin gracing his lips after Yunho's indirect confession which causes Jaejoong to widen his eyes in surprise behind Yoochun.

"So you are admitting that you killed your wife?"

Yunho grits his teeth and glares – yes, glares – at Yoochun before leaning back a little, his face not really void of emotions but not really marked by anger as much as before either."Yes. Yes I killed her. It was not enough for her to argue with me at work, she just had to continue talking about that disturbing topic at home."

"About her wanting the two of you to have heirs?"

"Yes." Yunho spats."She wanted me to touch her, but I couldn't even look at her without feeling the need to cleanse my eyes afterwards. And when she realized that I wasn't going to give in, she just chose to insult me and my..."

"Your affairs?" Yoochun offers as he notices how Yunho somehow can't bring himself to say that one word as if it brings along a bitter taste the CEO can't take.

"Yes." The CEO whispers."I couldn't take it anymore. Months of being controlled and humiliated by her. Months of going through the torture of having her reign over me like I was some puppet of hers. She had to go."

Yoochun's gaze darkens as he listens to Yunho's words and he once again realizes how dangerous a short explosion of pent-up anger can be. A human's emotions can trigger the worst things and make people commit the most unthinkable crimes. And as much as he is glad about finally having solved the case, he can also feel how sorrow's grip on him tightens as he things about the regretful time Jung Yunho and Kwon Bora have lost to each other during their marriage. A marriage which ended with an ugly outburst of hatred and the sacrifice of a life.

"Where is your wife's corpse? Where have you hidden her?"

There is no sign of anger left in Yunho's eyes and voice anymore as he replies."I'll show you. The two of you."

Yoochun looks over his shoulder and right at his partner upon hearing Yunho's hinted request of not letting anyone else go with them when he decides to lead them to his wife's corpse and when he receives a nod from Jaejoong in return, the older detective immediately looks at the CEO once again.

His partner is more of a distrustful person than he is and if Jaejoong doesn't see any problem in trusting Jung Yunho this time around, then Yoochun will follow his lead.

"Okay."
 

• ♔ •


„Over there.“ Yunho says as he gestures towards the lake in front of them.“She is in there.“

Yoochun tries hard to not flinch at the thought of Bora's corpse lying there in the cold water, probably held down by the great weight of something heavy. And her very own husband was the one who did that to her.

It's a rather private lake for yachts and barely anyone beside the rich yacht owners and the keepers of the yacht harbor come here so it's the perfect place for Yunho to get rid of her without anyone knowing. Yunho himself does not own a yacht, but his brother does and both of them apparently used it in turns before their relationship got rocky if he can believe Yunho's earlier words so it was probably no problem for Yunho to enter this place even without the two detectives there to make the guard open the gates for them.

"Okay." Yoochun mutters after taking a short glance at his partner and steps closer towards the lake as he gets his cellphone out in order to call for the forensic team and some help in salvaging the corpse of Bora.

But he doesn't even get to press the call button as a sharp pain at the back of his head distracts him, the force of the blow he receives sending him onto the ground with a sharp cry before everything turns black.

"Jaejoong!" Yunho cries out and rushes towards the young detective in order to hold him back when he sees Jaejoong pointing his gun at Yoochun with a pale, shaky hand."Jaejoongie, what are you doing?"

Jaejoong turns around before pushing the CEO away from him and only now does Yunho notice the sad, broken look in his lover's eyes."What I am doing? What were you doing, Jung Yunho? What were you thinking to let him search around in the house even after I warned you?"

"Jaejoongie-"

"You idiot! Why did you throw all those evidences at him? Evidences which obviously pointed at you?" Jaejoong is crying by now, his occasional sobs cutting through his words every now and then as anger and the fear he had been suppressing all this while come to the surface."I can't let you go to prison, Yunho...I can't. I wouldn't be able to take it."

Yunho's expression softens and he slowly approaches Jaejoong once again before pulling the other into his arms, comforting him with his warm embrace as he let the other cry. He never intended on making Jaejoong like this. All he ever wanted was to help and protect Jaejoong from harm, but now he realizes just what he had put Jaejoong through by making all those decisions which led to this very moment by himself without consulting his lover, his other half.

When Yunho returned home last Friday, he was shocked and scared out of his wits when he saw Jaejoong standing next to Bora with a worrisome expression of sadness on his beautiful face.

She found him.

She found Jaejoong and made him go to their house with her where she tortured him with insults as they waited for Yunho to come home.

Yunho had been furious and didn't even bother listening to her as he dragged Jaejoong into the safety of his home office where he needed to get some documents for his business trip, intending on leaving the house as soon as possible right after. But she followed them and screamed profanities at him and Jaejoong, even going as far as slapping his lover.

And that's when Yunho snapped and marked her face with a slap of his own, causing her anger and hatred to grow as she suddenly got a hold of the paper knife on Yunho's desk before storming towards him in rage.

But she didn't get to hurt him. Jaejoong made sure she didn't.

In sheer panic, he took the ceramic vase standing on the comode next to the door of Yunho's home office and hit Bora's head with it from behind. He didn't realize just what he had done before he saw her lying on the ground, surrounded by a pool of her own blood and without any trace of life left in her. Jaejoong had been too shocked to do anything else but sink onto the ground as his body shivered violently.

But Yunho was there to take care of everything.

He didn't care about Bora. He only cared for the safety of the man he loved and has hurt by bringing that awful woman into their lives and between them. The marriage and Bora meant nothing to him, but Yunho knew even back then that Jaejoong felt disgusted at the thought of having a relationship with somebody else's husband although the marriage was never anything else but a contract and business deal to Yunho.

He never touched Bora, but it hurt Jaejoong nevertheless to know that Yunho belonged to someone else legally and Yunho doesn't even know how he will ever be able to make up for the pain he put his lover through by making that one, stupid decision back then. A stupid decision his father unintentionally pushed him into. A stupid decision which ruined his life and almost managed to break the bond he shares with Jaejoong.

After comforting his lover, Yunho had cleaned everything in the room as good as he could before leaving the property with Jaejoong on the passenger seat of his car and Bora's corpse in the trunk, knowing that he had been the one who triggered the whole tragedy by making foolish choices which eventually pushed all of them into the abyss. He had been the cause for everything and therefore had to take responsibility, he knew that much.

So when Yoochun and his boyfriend came to ask him about Bora's disappearance, he decided to take the blame and give the detectives bit by bit of the many evidences which would eventually incriminate him without coming off as too eager in throwing those at them.

Jaejoong didn't want all of that. He decided to distance himself from Yunho out of guilt and pleaded for the CEO to not bring himself in danger any further, leaving Yunho's heart bleeding in need of its other half. But Yunho didn't want to stop, he couldn't stop. He didn't want anyone to ever find out that Jaejoong had killed Bora. He didn't want to see his other half going to prison, even the mere thought of it breaking him in the most painful way.

In the midst of planning his own imprisonment, Yunho failed to see how Jaejoong's heart was breaking as well as he feared to see Yunho being punished for a crime he himself committed.

It seems that his life is being reigned over by nothing but foolish decisions which eventually end up hurting Jaejoong.

"Let's get away from here. I know where we can hide." Yunho mutters softly before pressing a kiss onto the other's head."Let's live a life far away from all this."

Jaejoong nods, his sobs subsiding as he allows for Yunho to lead him away from his unconscious partner and closer towards freedom and a new life with only the two of them by each other's side.

He is a murderer and he knows that he will never be able to stop hating himself for taking someone else's life away nor will he ever be able to think of himself as anything else but a monster, but as long as Yunho is there to make him feel better and erase all those dark thoughts and emotions from his heart every once in a while, he will keep holding onto his own life.

He is disgusted by his very own being. But he doesn't want to erase himself and his life because he is too selfish, his yearning to remain by Yunho's side being stronger than his desire to kill himself and end his pathetic existence.

Yunho knows what dark thoughts Jaejoong keeps to himself, he knows Jaejoong too well for the other to hide anything from him. But he will make sure to be Jaejoong's solace and shield for as long as he lives. He will never allow for anyone to harm Jaejoong, not even Jaejoong himself.

All these painful feelings and memories, he is going to get rid of them all and build a better life together with Jaejoong, the man who owns his heart, his everything.

They are going to flee to somewhere where Jaejoong won't need to disguise himself anymore while being with Yunho.

Park Yoochun had been right, the death of Bora had something to do with Yunho's affair – oh how Yunho hates to use that word for his relationship with his boyfriend - , but as smart as the detective is, he had not been smart enough to figure out that all the different men the employee from the hotel told him about are in fact Jaejoong, just with different wigs and sometimes just contact lenses.

He found out many things and ripped off many thick layers of lies and secrets which protected Yunho's privacy, but the very last and most important one has remained untouched.

And it's better that way.
 

• ♔ •


„We'll find him, Yoochun.“ Changmin assures as he gives the detective's right shoulder a short pat, soon excusing himself to return to his office.

Yoochun sighs and leans back as he thinks about his partner who disappeared without a trace three weeks ago, the mere sight of Jaejoong's unoccupied desk making Yoochun's insides churn as he blames himself for the other's disappearance.

He can't believe that he has been incautious enough to give Jung Yunho the chance to knock him out and kidnap his partner, the person he was supposed to protect.

One part of him believes and hopes that Jaejoong is still alive and has only been kidnapped because Jung Yunho is somewhat obsessed with him and wants him as some sort of lover if the longing gazes he noticed Yunho throwing Jaejoong's way during the investigation are anything to go by, but another part of him fears Jaejoong to already share the same fate as Yunho's late wife.

"Jaejoong..."

If only he knows.

-----------

Done~ Finally finished my first crime fic and I really hope that the ending didn't disappoint anyone, if it did then I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking. It would be great if you guys would leave a short feedback, comments are gold after all.