Part Two

The Widower


„The CCTV recordings are here.“ Jaejoong says as he approaches his partner and places a box of CDs onto Yoochun's desk.“I hope you don't have any plans for tonight.“

Yoochun groans as he looks at the CDs which are most probably going to keep him and Jaejoong busy for a while. But it's better than nothing and while they are waiting for their computer analysts to find something on Bora's laptops, they might as well do something useful by looking through the CCTV recordings and try to figure out how and when exactly Bora left the house.

„Now I do have plans.“ Yoochun sighs before taking one of the CDs, soon scooting aside with his chair to make some space for his partner in front of his computer.“Be my guest.“

Jaejoong smiles and shoves his chair closer towards Yoochun before sitting down and watches how his partner prepares everything before playing the CD's content on his computer.

He is very observant at first, but halfway through the first recording, Jaejoong finds himself thinking of Jung Yunho instead of focusing on what's in front of him. The stares, smiles and touches...Jaejoong is highly affected by everything Yunho does and he is not sure whether he is really disliking it or simply forcing himself to dislike something he needs to find inappropriate as someone who investigates in a case concerning the man's wife.

There is this strong pull he feels every time he sees Yunho and he can't fight it. He is helpless against the attraction he feels and Jaejoong can say it without any hesitation that he never felt anything like this towards someone else before. It's strange and also scary.

'Stop thinking about him.' Jaejoong reprimands himself.

"You with me?"

Jaejoong immediately looks at the partner upong hearing the other speak and is utterly surprised to find Yoochun changing the CDs already.

"I'm sorry."

"Get a grip on your thoughts, Jaejoong. I know it's not easy, but try it for your job's sake." Yoochun speaks calmly, knowing exactly that harshness is not neccessary when it comes to Jaejoong.

The younger detective nods briefly before looking at the screen with Yoochun doing the same not long after.

Hours pass as the two of them go through every single recording in fast forward and yet making sure to not play the videos too fast so they could still observe everything thoroughly and when their concentration starts to slip away, Jaejoong kindly volunteers to get some coffee for both of them although it's more of an excuse to have some time for himself.

Entering the empty kitchen, Jaejoong lets out a sigh as he starts working on making coffee and allows for himself to remember the way Yunho looked at him today. It was as if the other had been pleading for him to stay with him instead of following Yoochun and leaving him there.

Why is that man being like that? It's frustrating.

The way the other acts towards him makes Jaejoong feel more than uneasy.

Leaning against the kitchen counter with his back facing it, Jaejoong crosses his arms over his chest and heaves another sigh as he tries to come up with a way to keep Yunho away from him, but the loud noises coming from the coffee machine a few minutes after quickly break his string of thoughts and make him turn around to tend to his duties as the coffee fetcher.

When he returns to the office a few minutes later, he can't help but notice how empty everything looks with everyone except him and his partner gone. Making quick steps towards his partner, Jaejoong sits back down quietly before placing the two cups of coffee onto the desk.

"Thanks." Yoochun says and takes the cup Jaejoong placed right in front of him and leads it to his lips, soon taking a sip from the brown liquid.

No sugar, no milk. Just like he likes it. They may not know much about each other's private lives, but they know each other's habits and likes as well as dislikes at work more than well.

"They both head to work around 7.30 AM and return home around the same time as well most of the time, but never in the same car. They live a life next to each other rather than with each other. What a waste of time marrying."

Jaejoong agrees to the last statement wholeheartedly. Yunho and Bora wasted time marrying just to live a life like two strangers afterwards. What a pity. They would be better off staying far away from each other instead of forcing themselves to live together. Jaejoong can't believe that anyone would want to live like that.

Well, Bora might have escaped from her dull life alongside her husband now.

"And he keeps leaving the house in the middle of the night." Yoochun suddenly blurts out."About two or three times a week. And whenever he leaves, he does not return home until the next evening."

"Their relationship is not the best. Maybe he can't really stand sleeping next to her."

Yoochun hums in agreement before taking a another sip from the coffee Jaejoong brought him, loving how raw and real the coffee tastes without all the stuff people usually put into the brown beverage to ruin its original taste.

Five CDs later, they are finally watching the recordings from the day Bora was last seen. The employees left the property around 6 PM. Bora returned home first around 6.30 PM and her husband followed ten minutes later in his own car. For about one hour, nothing can be seen by the gates until Yunho drove his car through it, probably to go on the business trip he told them about.

"He left her alone at home just like he said." Yoochun mumbles before a soft sigh escapes his lips, his eyes still trained on the monitor.

Absolutely nothing happened afterwards. Until the early morning of Monday where the employees returned to the property, no one was seen leaving or entering it. Yoochun remembers exactly how all employees told him that the house had been empty when they came back, so Bora had to disappear during the time in between their leave and their return. But she can't be seen leaving the house.

Yoochun's frown deepens as he repeats the recordings from Friday to Monday, his frustration causing him to grit his teeth as he places the cup of coffee back onto the desk harshly. "Why can't she be seen leaving the house?"

Jaejoong stares at the monitor silently, watching the recordings together with his partner over and over again, but discovers nothing which would've hinted at how Bora disappeared.

"What if." Yoochun mutters darkly."What if she never left the house?"

Jaejoong turns around to look at his partner in shock, goosebumps spreading his skin as he realizes what his partner is trying to get at.

"Yoochun..."

"Just think about it. We saw her entering the property but she never left it." Yoochun says as he looks at Jaejoong."Unless Jung Yunho himelf took his wife with him when he left. But that would mean that he lied about leaving the house all alone. Either way, he is the last one who saw her before she disappeared."

A horrible spreads itself in Jaejoong's guts as he listens to Yoochun's assumptions.

Are they about to find out about Jung Yunho's darkest secrets?
 

• ♔ •


„She could've taken another way to leave the house. If she really wanted to escape from everything, she might've as well climbed over the fence so no one would see her.“

„Boss-“

„I'm not trying to work against you here.“ Changmin speaks as he looks at Yoochun in apology.“I'm just saying that you will need far more than this to get a search warrant and you know it."

"But-"

A knock at the Captain's door causes both to turn around and look at Jaejoong who is holding a staple of paper in his hands and steps into the room the moment the Captain gestures for him to do so.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you, but the computer analysts found something on Miss Kwon's private computer." Jaejoong says."Some kind of diary."

Yoochun's lips curve up into a smile before he looks at the Captain who gestures for him to go ahead and have a look at whatever Jaejoong brought along with him.

"If you find something, I'll help you taking care of the search warrant myself." Changmin promises before he watches Yoochun and Jaejoong leave his office.

The two detectives are not even close to their desks when Yoochun frees his partner from half of the papers he's holding before he starts to read what's written on the first one.

"She had a special folder for the entries and it was password-protected."

"Well it's about her diary entries. Everyone would want to protect such private things." Yoochun replies and sits down at his desk once they arrive in their office, his eyes still on the papers in his hands as he scans through everything without finding anything interesting at first.

The entries start around the end of January and Bora has written down everything but things which could be of any relevance for the case in the first few months and Yoochun is about to place the papers aside and get himself some coffee to take a break when he spots Jung Yunho's name on one of the pages. Curiosity gets the better of him and the detective reads every single entry with care, something about the CEO's name making him highly alerted.

 

Who would've thought that this day will come? Jung Yunho was standing inside my office this evening and asked – no, begged – me for help him during the upcoming votings. He wants to win over his older brother and be the new CEO. I agreed on helping him in exchange for his promise to marry me. It's almost tragic for him. He did everything to escape our engagement two years ago and now he has to come crawling back to me. You are going to be mine, Jung Yunho. I'm going to trap you within my grasp so tightly that you will barely be able to breathe.



Yoochun feels kind of sick after reading the entry as he realizes that Bora herself had been playing a sick game of her own as well when she married Jung Yunho. To put the whole blame for the lack of good feelings within the marriage on Yunho alone suddenly seems highly unfair to Yoochun and he can somehow understand why Yunho doesn't really care much about her whereabouts. It must feel like new-found freedom to him to lead a life without his wife.

And maybe that's exactly why he wanted to get rid of her.

The older detective then continues to read and his frown deepens as he notices that Bora never failed to humiliate Yunho in her entries afterwards.

What Ilwoo said to him is right. Bora made Jung Yunho her puppet through the marriage and the more he reads, the better he can imagine just how much Yunho must've detested his wife for what she put him through.

Judging from what Bora has written down, she did not only force him into the marriage but also into making only the decicions for the company which she approved of. It was almost as if she was the one chairing Jung Corp. after the two of them got married. And to think that Yunho only married her to have control over the company. What a sick twist of fate.

Once he is done reading every entry he snatched away from Jaejoong earlier, Yoochun looks up and right at his partner who seems to be highly engrossesed in whatever is written on the piece of paper he is holding and Jaejoong's deep frown awakens Yoochun's curiosity almost instantly. His partner is usually not one to show his emotions openly so when he does, the reason for it always gets Yoochun's utmost interest.

"Jaejoong, found something interesting?"

Jaejoong looks up upon hearing his name being called but gives Yoochun no vocal answer although his right hand is working on giving the diary entry he has been reading until a second ago to his partner.

Yoochun raises his eyebrows slightly before his eyes are on what Jaejoong has given to him.

 

How dare he? How dare he to have an affair and make me the dumb, faithful wife? Every time he leaves the house during the night, I know that he is going to see that of a lover. I got suspiscious after the first few times and had someone follow him. And I have been right with my assumptions. When I confronted him, he laughed at me. That arrogant piece of trash laughed at me and said that our marriage is nothing but a contract on papers. 'You barely have rights to be jealous. You are nothing to me.' Those words from him. I am going to remember them well when I find his and destroy that thing. He sleeps in the guest room every night in which he is home, refusing to share one bed with me, his wife. And yet he drives to a hotel on the other side of Seoul just to sleep with a . Just wait, Jung Yunho. Just wait.



At this point, Yoochun isn't sure anymore who to feel sorry for. Yunho who was forced into a marriage where a whicked wife took control of his every move and played her own whicked game with him or Bora, the woman who had been betrayed as a wife and never succeeded in making her husband want her. If only those two would've stayed away from each other after Jung Yunho broke their engagement off two years ago. If only.

"What do you say?" Jaejoong mutters.

"I think that Jung Yunho is slowly turning into our main suspect in the case of Miss Kwon's disappearance." Yoochun replies."And if her absence was caused by someone else, then..."

Yoochun doesn't speak further but he doesn't need to for Jaejoong to understand what his partner is thinking about. If someone's disappearance is the consequence of a third party negligence and no ransom money is being required, the chances are high that the missing person has turned into a murder victim. It's still too early to assume such things, but sometimes, it's better to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

"Maybe he found out about his wife's plan to find his lover and wanted to get rid of her before she could get rid of his affair."

"Possible." Jaejoong agrees.

"The affair explains his nightly trips. It was not the desire to spend his nights somewhere else but with someone else that drove him out of the house." Yoochun places the piece of paper aside and gestures towards the staple in front of his partner."Did she write anything else about the affair?"

"Yes, last Thursday. One day before she disappeared." Jaejoong says before reading the entry out loud.

 

Disgusting. Not only does Yunho cheat on me, but he cheats on me with a man. Why a man? Why does he need to humiliate me so much? I'm going to end this disgusting game and reveal it to the world, every single detail of his dirty little secret. I'm going to make him beg for mercy. I'm going to make him beg for me to give him another chance.



Jaejoong lowers his head and stares at the words written on the paper."She found out that his affair is a man."

"Goodness." Yoochun sighs."Their marriage is one big drama. Anyways, we should have a look at his credit card billing. Maybe he paid the hotel bills with his card. And if we find the hotel, we might also find his affair through the employees. He may know something no one else does considering that he is one of Jung Yunho's biggest secrets himself."

"Yeah...maybe."

Yoochun of course notices the change of tone in Jaejoong's voice and immediately looks up to stare at his partner in silence. There is something about the way Jaejoong looks which makes Yoochun feel sympathetic. He looks so...sad. But why should he feel sad?

Could it be that Jaejoong is dealing with an unfaithful lover at the moment? It would explain his current lack of concentration during work and also the sadness clouding his eyes after reading about Yunho's infidelity. But whatever it is that bothers Jaejoong, his partner promised him to solve his problems soon so he is going to trust him with it.
 

• ♔ •


„Only the best even for his affair.“ Yoochun speaks as he looks around in the lobby of the luxurious hotel he and Jaejoong are in, gold and crystal flashing from all sides and making him wonder whether he is going to go blind the next few seconds if he continues staring at them.

When they went through Jung Yunho's credit card billing, Yoochun somehow expected for them to either find bills for a small hotel which is hidden somewhere in the darkest corners of Seoul or nothing at all considering that most people prefer to go into a small motel with their affairs and pay cash.

But Jung Yunho is no ordinary man. He has chosen a luxurious hotel to meet his affair in and frequented it since his marriage with Bora started.

The two detectives head to the reception and are being greeted by one of the employees standing there, her smile not quite reaching her eyes but Yoochun can't really blame her. To deal with hundreds of people every single day has to be stressful and to remain friendly despite being annoyed at some probably makes things even worse.

„Welcome to Hotel W Seoul Walkerhill, how can I help you?“

„Detective Park Yoochun.“ Yoochun says as he shows his badge to her before gesturing towards his partner.“This is my partner detective Kim Jaejoong. We are investigating in a case of a missing person who happens to be the wife of one of your regular customers.“

„I'm sorry but I'm afraid we can't give out any personal information about any of our customers. I hope you understand that we are trying our best to meet our customers' standards concerning absolute discretion."

"I understand that you have to stick to the rules your boss gives to you." The older detective says."How about you tell your boss that we would like to meet him and talk things out? I'm sure we can come to an agreement of some sort."

"Uh-"

"Is there any problem, gentlemen?" A man much taller than the female receptionist asks as he steps closer with a smile.

"We are the detectives Park Yoochun and Kim Jaejoong. We're investigating in a case of a missing person. She is the wife of one of your regular customers and we need to know with whom her husband was here."

"I'm sure that my colleague told you already that we usually don't give out personal information about our customers." The man speaks."But since it concerns an investigation , I'm sure we can figure something out. Who is the customer you are talking about?"

"Jung Yunho." Yoochun replies and gets a hold of the picture he printed at the office earlier before showing it to the receptionists."He was accompanied by someone, right? Another man?"

"Well yes." The male receptionist replies."I remember him very well, a man like Mr. Jung is hard to miss. But he came here with different men, not just one."

"Different men?"

"Yes, one had short black hair, another long blonde ones and his latest company had short red ones. But I never got to see those men's faces because they were hidden by a thick scarf and a beanie."

"I see..." Yoochun drawls as he takes a short glance at Jaejoong to see whether his partner is taking notes already."How could you tell that they were different men? It could be that they are actually all the same man but with differently dyed hair."

"The blonde one had blue eyes, I saw that much."

"I see, is there anyone who could give us more information about the men accompanying him?"

"Not really, they always stayed in the room and not even the employees bringing food into the room ever got to see the faces of the men. I know because it is a quite big issue for the staff here. Mr. Jung and the men coming with him are making everyone curious by giving nothing away about the identities of Mr. Jung's acquaintances or how they are related to each other."

"And no one ever heard Mr. Jung calling his acquaintances by their names?"

"Not that I know of. But as I said, they always stayed in the room and what happens within the four walls of our rooms are nothing of our concern as long as no crime is being committed."

Yoochun nods and looks over to Jaejoong who is apparently waiting for him as he puts his notepad back into the right pocket of his coat. They won't get anywhere by continuing to question the employees here and they both know it. Jung Yunho has done a great job hiding the identity of his affairs and Yoochun finds himself getting rather annoyed.

"Several affairs and no one knows who his lovers are." Yoochun utters as he walks out of the hotel with Jaejoong."I guess we need to go to his house and search there."

"What if he doesn't let us look through it?"

"We need to try. We're looking for his wife and he if he does anything to prevent us from getting further in our investigation, he is only going to make himself look even more suspiscious."

"True." Jaejoong agrees."Let's go to his house then."
 

• ♔ •


„Mr. Jung is not here.“ The maid says the moment she sees the two detectives standing in front of her.

„That's alright, you can call him and tell him to come home. We can wait.“

She says nothing in return and merely steps aside to let the two detectives enter the house, soon leading them into the living room where she motions for them to have a seat. It's obvious that she feels uncomfortable at the thought of letting them in without her boss there. But she still fulfills her duties deligently and serves them water a few minutes later although the two glasses remain untouched.

She does make a call to Yunho like suggested and only earns herself a nod of recognition in return when she informs the two detectives that the CEO is on his way home. Without further ado, she joins another maid in the kitchen as they apparently start to prepare an unplanned dinner for their boss.

The house still seems as cold as Yoochun remembers and although he is dreading to be here, it's necessary in order to make a progress in the case and Yoochun is sure that the biggest clues can be found here only and nowhere else. If anything happened to Bora, then here.

"What do you think? How long will Mr. Jung need to be here?"

Jaejoong looks up upon hearing the question and takes a short glance at the clock before his eyes are back on his partner."If he's at the company probably about 30 minutes. Why?"

"I think I'm going to make an extended trip to the bathroom." Yoochun says as he gets up, not missing the way Jaejoong grins at him knowingly before he leaves.

Looking around to make sure that no one is watching him, Yoochun carefully makes his way upstairs to what he assumes to be the private rooms of Yunho and Bora. The first room he arrives at seems to be the master bedroom where Bora slept alone if her diary entry about her husband preferring to sleep in the guest room is anything to go by. There are several pictures of her posing alongside friends and family, but only one shows her with her husband. It's their wedding picture and although they are supposed to look happy, Jung Yunho seems to be anything but that. Even the way he let his wife link one arm with his seems stiff and also a little off to Yoochun.

He sighs before looking around and soon approaches the makeup dresser. Nothing seems to be missing but he would need to talk to a maid later on to confirm things. Just like the rest of the room, everything looks tidy, making it seem as if Bora is just gone for the day to work instead of having gone missing for days already.

Seeing two more doors in the room, Yoochun slowly walks to the one closest to him and opens it cautiously after covering the doorknob with a handkerchief only to find himself looking at the bathroom a second after.

He decides to walk around inside of it for a little but refrains himself form touching the things there, not that he actually spots anything worth having a closer look at. Not even five minutes later, he is already walking back into the bedroom before opening the other door he saw earlier only to discover the 'room' to be a walk-in closet. A big, red suitcase with a flowery print is standing in the other corner of the closet and if it's the only one Bora has, Yoochun doubts that she would've left without it if she would've really intended on leaving for a long vacation somewhere.

She could easily buy new clothes of course, but Yoochun deems it rather unlikely. They went through her credit card billing as well while checking her husband's and the last time she used it was on the day she disappeared as he paid for lunch at an exclusive restaurant. She never drew any money, paying for just about everything with her credit card so Yoochun doubts that she has any cash on her. Not that she would be able to use any if his growing suspisions about what happened to her shall turn out to be the truth.

He also looks around for her cellphone which they have not been able to track down thanks to it apparently having been turned off, wondering whether it has fallen down somewhere for what reason ever but is unable to find it in the room.

Deciding that he is not getting anywhere, Yoochun swiftly leaves the room before going into the one across from it which turns out to be Yunho's home office if the furnishings, several racks filled with files and pictures of the Jung family hanging on the wall behind the desk are anything to go by. He briefly notices the carpeted floor as he steps forward but with not even two steps into the room, Yoochun finds himself halting and cringing at the overpowering smell of a substance all too familiar to him.

Yoochun frowns and crouches down, quickly noticing how the smell gets stronger the nearer he gets to the ground. It seems that someone had great interest in cleaning the carpet thoroughly with the help of a bleach not long ago. They will definitely need to have a closer look into this room later on.

The detective soon straightens his posture before walking out of the office and makes his way into the room right next to the office. It's apparently the guest room to which Yunho flees to every night in which he is at home according to what Bora wrote into her diary. It doesn't include much beside the basic furnishings which are also available in the master bedroom and the lack of personal things reminds Yoochun awfully much of his very own bedroom. Nothing really catches his attention as he walks around and takes a look at everything including the personal bathroom and the walk-in closet, so it doesn't take long before he walks out of the room and heads downstairs.

He is relieved to notice that there is no one in the hallway downstairs as he sneaks his way back into the living room where his partner is still sitting on the couch.

"Did anyone notice that I was absent?"

"No, no one." Jaejoong replies and looks at his partner as Yoochun sits down next to him."Have you found anything?"

"I may have. His home office seems rather interesting. It seems that someone desperately tried to get rid of something that dirtied the carpet."

"Bleach?"

"Most probably. Would explain the strong smell."

Jaejoong doesn't say anything in response and therefore ends their whispered conversation as they wait for the owner of the house to come back so they can look through the rooms officially with his permission. Yoochun is itching to just run upstairs and finally take a closer look into the home office but refrains himself from doing so by distracting himself with the help of his phone as he chooses to finally check the messages his family sent to him in the past few days.

He doesn't really like to talk to his family when he is working on important cases because he doesn't want them to distract him, especially not his mother who keeps urging him into taking a break from his life as a detective. If it would've been on her to decide over his job choices back then, she would've locked him up in his room instead of letting him get anywhere near the police academy.

His father was a police officer and his job as well as the risks and courage coming along with the job ended up killing him two years ago when he tried to protect a girl from a gang. And as clichéd as it sounds, Yoochun did start his career as a policeman because of his father. Not to avenge him indirectly by catching as many criminals as possible but to bring justice for the victims.

The sound of the front door being unlocked then catches the two detectives' attention before they see a maid rushing past the room to head towards whoever is entering the house.

"Welcome back, Mr. Jung."

"Thank you, please prepare some green tea for me."

"Yes, Mr. Jung."

The maid then walks past the living room with her boss' briefcase in her right hand before Yunho himself steps into the room and cuases the two detectives to get up in order to greet him.

"Gentlemen, you could've informed me beforehand that you wanted to come."

"We're sorry." Yoochun replies curtly."I hope that you will still allow for us to have a look through your house and search for possible clues which would hint at what could've happened to your wife. The CCTV recordings did not show her leaving the house so we're assuming the house itself to be the best place to investigate at in order to find out what happened after you left the property."

For a while, not the least bit of emotion can be seen on Yunho's face and Yoochun is pretty sure that the CEO is going to decline and will therefore force Yoochun and Jaejoong to continue working on the case without any big clue.

Not even the diary entries were enough for them to get a search warrant so they are dependant on Yunho's permission.

But then, much against Yoochun's expectations, Yunho smiles at him subtly and Yoochun can barely prevent himself from shivering.

"Sure." Yunho agrees calmly."Go ahead."