Fifteen

The Dancing Machines

Chapter 15 - When Kai Is A Big Jumble Of Mess

The past few weeks hadn’t been really that great for Kai. He couldn’t sleep well at night and fatigue was slowly consuming his body. It wasn’t exactly the long days of practice and performing that had been distressing him. In fact, this was the most undemanding and relaxing comeback they had ever had in a while. So what could have been bothering EXO’s resident dancing machine?

Well, the answer was rather simple, actually. His heart.

There was something wrong with his heart. Something really wrong. Kai placed a hand on his chest and felt his heart beating at an unusually fast speed. This seemed to happen more often nowadays. It was all very puzzling. He couldn’t quite fathom the sudden change in his heart’s behaviour. He even almost went to the hospital to get it checked one day, thinking that it was health related.

What’s wrong? He found himself asking the same question over and over again but no matter what, he failed to get an answer. He really wanted to talk about this with his friends but every time, he just couldn’t bring himself to it. Probably because deep down, he knew what everyone was going to say and he really didn’t want to hear such nonsense. Or maybe, he just wasn’t ready to face the fact yet.

It has been two weeks since EXO’s comeback. Thankfully, things have gone back to normal between Kai and Sehun. They no longer tried to kill each other at any time possible and the leaders couldn’t be any happier. Miraculously, much to everyone’s surprise, the two guys became the best of friends like they used to be. Like nothing ever happened between them at all. But his heart was still acting strange every once in a while.

It has also been two weeks since Kai last saw his archenemy. Their last encounter wasn’t what he had expected it to be, though. It was rather embarrassing, if he were to be honest. Even to this day he didn’t quite understand why he acted the way he did. He had never been nervous around the girl and most importantly, he had never ever seen her as attractive. Thus everything was puzzlingly weird.

Last week, he was very determined to redeem his dignity. He even had a well-thought-out plan prepared under his sleeves. However, all his hard work went in vain in just a mere second. Much to his frustration, 2NE1 was absent from the broadcast. The girls were apparently in Japan for an event. Only god knew how furious he was when he heard the news.

Therefore, when he saw a long line of Blackjacks outside earlier, he was exhilarated! That could only mean one thing, 2NE1’s back! And a smile immediately decorated his face as his heart started beating faster yet again. This time though, it didn’t really bother him as much as he thought it would. In fact, he didn’t realise the change at all.

As soon as they entered the building, Kai immediately got into his stealth mode and studied his surroundings very carefully. He made sure to listen in on people’s conversation just in case a certain name was mentioned. Although he knew where their waiting room was – since those from the ‘Big 3’ were always given the VIP rooms – he still needed to find out her whereabouts every now and then. Just like him, Minzy often roamed around to relax.

He seemed to be very focused on making the girl’s life miserable that he failed to realise how much he knew about her. He knew her likes and dislikes. He even knew her strengths and weaknesses, especially when it came to dancing. He also failed to realise just how much time he had spent thinking about her. For someone who claimed he hated a person, he surely had some kind of an interest in her. Perhaps, Kai did realise all the little things and perhaps, he’s just being in denial.

It seemed like luck was on his side today because when he reached the third floor, where all the VIP rooms were, it was almost empty. It was safe to assume that the girls hadn’t arrived yet. In another words, it made it easier for the prankster Kai to carry out his mission without having to worry of getting caught.

Kai told their manager that he needed to do the number two and dashed out before even getting an approval. Not that the manager was going to say no – if he needed to relieve his stomach, go ahead. Nobody would even dare to stop him anyway. They’d rather have him getting ready late than having to be trapped in this small confinement with a nasty smell all day long.

As weird as it might be, the tanned guy knocked on the door a couple times. You know, just to be safe. He didn’t want to barge in on someone changing or anything. That would have been really awkward. A smirk immediately adorned his face when he was greeted by nothing but silence from the other side.

“You’re so dead, Gong Minji,” he snickered as he pushed the door open.

 

***

“Whoa, you look like you just took a year’s worth of dump!” Baekhyun gasped as soon as Kai entered the waiting room, looking all breathless and sweaty.

The latter ignored the older’s remark and plopped himself onto the sofa. He had such a close call. His body involuntarily shuddered at the thought of him being caught smelling a woman’s clothe – a girl group member’s clothe to be exact. Just imagine all the weird headlines that would decorate the front page of every newspaper and magazine the next day. He was so close to being dubbed as a erted idol. Damn.

Don’t even ask why he was smelling Minzy’s shirt, he didn’t even know the reason himself. One thing for sure, he liked the way it smelled. It had that hint of lavender, probably from a detergent, and it also had that musky scent from her cologne. He knew this because he could always smell it whenever she’s near. And much to his surprise, he actually rather liked that smell on her. It was rather addictive.

Baffled by his own thoughts yet again, Kai heaved a heavy sigh and scratched his head rather roughly, disheveling his hair in the process. The guy finally snapped out it and started focusing on his surrounding. Everyone seemed to be minding their own business as they waited for their turns to get their hair and makeup done. He, too, was about to do the same and take a small nap when he heard giggles from his side.

Turning around, he was greeted by a very happy Sehun. At first glance, he really seemed like a lovestruck puppy, especially with that silly grin on his face. But that couldn’t be the case, could it? No, Kai would definitely know if Sehun were interested in someone because they’re best friends. And best friends share secrets with one another, especially this kind of stuff… right?

“Where are you going, maknae?” asked the leader when Sehun suddenly stood up and headed for the door.

“Oh, I’m just meeting somebody for a while,” the youngest replied, that silly smile never leaving his face, “I won’t be long, don’t worry.”

Now Kai wasn’t quite sure anymore. There’s just something different about Sehun, something so suspicious. All of a sudden, he felt rather uneasy and he didn’t like the feeling one bit. The fact that he didn’t know anything made everything all the more unsettling. Fortunately for him, he was soon saved from dwelling himself any further when one of the stylists called out his name. He decided he should take a nap and relax while the beauty team did their magic.

Time went by pretty fast after that and now the show’s finally starting. Kai tried not to think too much about Minzy or Sehun as best as he could. He didn’t want something so trivial to steer his focus away from giving a good performance. He has let that happened a few times before and he couldn’t say he was proud of it. It’s rather funny how the mere thought of the girl or anything related to her could distract him so much.

A staff member entered their waiting room, announcing their turn, and the room was immediately filled with hustle and bustle, as everyone did some last minute check on practically everything. A familiar face on the big TV screen hanging on the wall suddenly caught Kai’s attention. 2NE1 was in the middle performing their latest number. Then a smirk immediately appeared on his face again, forgetting entirely his resolution to stay focused. It should be any second now – Minzy’s most embarrassing moment yet.

5…

 

4…

 

3…

 

2…

 

1…

But nothing happened.

The smirk on his face was immediately replaced by a scowl. Impossible! How could this be? He was more than a hundred percent sure he put that thing inside her jacket, her name was clearly hung on the rack. He even made sure to tie it somewhere hidden just in case it ever tried to escape. So how could she perform so smoothly, like nothing was wrong?

Before he could even rack his brain to find a reasonable explanation, they were rushed to the studio. Two to three crews surrounded each one of them, checking if their mics and in-ear monitors were working perfectly fine. Within a minute, it was their turn to perform. Minzy was first to get down from the stage and greeted him with a knowing smirk. That took him quite off-guard but what was more puzzling was the small interaction she had with Sehun. Since when did the two become friendly?

“Good luck, Sehun,” he heard the girl say with a sickeningly happy tone; and boy, did he feel like killing somebody seeing that stupid smile on the other boy’s face.

Their performance finished in a blur. Kai wasn’t even sure how he did. His mind was somewhere else the entire time. He was lucky he didn’t forget any lyrics, or he would be doomed. So much of wanting to stay professional. The EXO members immediately left the stage after bowing to their fans as a sign of appreciation. To the dancer’s surprise, his supposed enemy was standing just a couple metres away from the stairs.

Without realising it, he walked towards her direction with only one goal in his mind – to demand an explanation. The fact that he might reveal his evil little scheme didn’t even matter. He’s pretty sure she knew anyway. He wanted to know, no, he needed to know what really happened. “Hi,” Minzy greeted him with a giggle.

“What happened to the lizard?” Kai went straight to the point causing the girl to laugh.

“Relax. Why don’t you take a seat first? I’m sure you’re a bit tired after performing.”

To be honest, he wasn’t that tired. They didn’t even have any choreography for this song. All they did was sit and sing. But somehow, he couldn’t reject her offer so Kai grabbed the chair from her and took a seat. “Explain!” he demanded next.

“Well, first of all, the lizard was my idea,” the girl snickered with a shake of her head, “Do you really think it would work on me? Na-uh! Besides…”

As if on cue, Sehun then appeared beside her with an equally evil smile plastered on his face. That was when everything suddenly clicked. She had a sidekick all along, and it was none other than his fellow band mate, his best friend! He must have been the one who sold him out. Rather annoyed, he immediately stood up. Well, he tried. Just like that, the new partners in crime laughed their hearts out. And just like that, his worst nightmare turned into reality, yet again.

Kai, the y and charismatic dancing machine of EXO, was stuck to the chair. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story by: afagyel | Poster & Background by: adowhorebles @ The Evanescent Affection Poster Shop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New chapter is up! Yay! How did you like it? :D Minzy and Sehun ganging up on Kai... Things are definitely getting interesting, ain't it? ;P What do you think will happen next? Well, stay tuned to find out

Feel free to leave your comments below. I welcome constructive criticisms but please, no bashing. Hee. To those who haven't, well... *coughs* do subscribe and *coughs* upvote. XD

See you in the next chapter!

Love, A