My Grandmother's Chamber (part 1)

My Grandmother's Chamber
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Many years ago.

 

"This is where you'll be staying for a month." A middle aged man announced, wrapping his arm around his daughter's shoulders as both of them stared at a monstrous house gate in front of them.

Seohyun stared at it in fright. The old brown metal gate was falling off its hinges and it seemed like it had been a very long time since somebody walking through the rusty old gate. From outside the gate, they could see a towering old house that stood forlornly, blanketed in a heavy cloud of mist. 

She stepped backward as a sudden chill washed over her body, not liking the view before her.

 

"Dad, you've got to be kidding me. I have to stay inside that creepy looking house for the whole friggin month?" Seohyun said with a gulp, taking another step back as she gripped on her backpack tighter.

 

"This is where I was born, this is your grandmother's house. Before she died she asked me to bring you here atleat once in your life." Her father said in a soothing voice, reaching for her head and her long hair gently.

 

"But, dad-" Mr. Seo placed a finger on her lips to silence her.

 

"Only for a month sweetheart. Just for a month. Look, an older sister of your grandmother lives inside that house and four servants live there as well. You won't feel lonely." Mr. Seo said again in a gentle tone, looking at his daughter lovingly.

Seohyun slowly looked at the old house then back to her father again before she eventually responding.

 

"Fine." The teen girl mumbled, sighing as she began to step towards the rusty old gate.

Seohyun was supposed to get married with a boy whom her father arranged her with to be her husband but something beyond her worst imagination happened and her life went upside down. On the day of their engagement, her soon to be husband ran away. People closest to her said that he ran away with his long time girlfriend. Not only that, the business agreement between her father and the boy's father had to be postponed due to the cancellation of the engagement, making Seohyun's parents to be very busy with their business. Just a day before, her parents were told to go overseas for a business trip and since they didn't want to leave her alone inside their house, they decided to bring her to her grandmother's house and let her to stay there while they're gone. Now here she was, walking towards a scary looking house that stood in the middle of nowhere.

Never, in her entire life, her father even once took her to her grandmother's house and he never told her why but now as she looked at the house, she thought she knew why.

She crinkled her nose as she walked through the gate, gripping her backpack even tighter. The smell, it smelled like cat urine. She wanted to turn her back and ran to her father's car that was parked just outside the gate but she couldn't do it. As much as she wanted to run away, she just couldn't do it as she thought about her father and found herself stepping closer to the old house.

The house was huge, dwarfing her and her father as they stopped for a moment in front of the house, perhaps this was one of the biggest houses she had ever seen in her life but she didn't like it even one bit. It looked very old and scary, like the one she had seen in one of horror movies that she watched with her friends back in Seoul. She wondered why would somebody even lived there.

 

"Seohyun." Her father called out in a very quiet tone.

 

"Yes, dad?" Seohyun turned her head to her father and looked at him, he wasn't smiling like he always did. Clearly he was going to tell her something serious.

 

"Promise me that you will never step your foot inside your grandmother's room." His father said, turning his head back to the house, his expression somewhat grim.

 

"Why?" Seohyun asked, still looking at her father.

 

"Just...promise me, okay?" He softly said as he looked back at Seohyun with a pleading look that surprised her, this was probably her first time to see that kind of look from her father. Seohyun quickly nodded her head, earning a smile from Mr. Seo. 

At that very moment they heard

the sound of a door creaking open and they turned their attentions to the doorway in a swift. An old woman, probably in her seventies, coming out from inside the house, staring at the two with a scary, menacing smile that Seohyun spontaneously took a grip of her father's arm, hiding behind him like a little child who was just seeing something really spooky. The old woman dressed in black from head to toe, her silver hair was done up in a tight bun, with her hands on top of a cane, holding it for support.

She slowly descend towards them who were still standing in the front yard, still with that smile on her face.

 

"You must be Seo Joohyun, what a pretty looking lady." An old woman said in a sickeningly sweet voice as she stopped just right in front of them and tilted her head to the side, taking a good look of the girl who was still hiding behind her father.

For a very brief moment their eyes met and Seohyun had never felt so terrified before. That old woman was so scary.

Meanwhile Mr. Seo gave the old woman a strange look, furrowing his brows as he scrutinized her.

 

"Auntie you look...different." Mr. Seo said, frowning slightly.

The old woman quickly responded with a small laugh that Seohyun found creepy. 

 

"We haven't seen each other for almost twenty years, things have changed." The old woman replied, still with a creepy small laugh.

 

"Yes, I suppose. Things have changed since I left this house twenty years ago." Mr. Seo said with a sigh, his expression turned sad and Seohyun could see that he was thinking about his late mother. He once told her that he left his house when he graduated from high school and for some reasons, he never went back home. Just five months ago, her grandmother visited him and his family, and Seohyun met her grandmother for the very first time ever. She stayed with them for almost three months just before she died.

He turned to Seohyun with a gentle smile before his hands released the handle of the luggage that he'd been carrying since they walked from the gate and Seohyun knew it was time for him to go. How she wished she could run back to their car and tell him that she didn't want to stay. 

 

"I have to leave now, your mom is waiting for me." Mr. Seo softly said, giving his daughter one final smile and Seohyun just nodded in reply.

 

"Auntie, please take care of my girl." Mr. Seo said as he turned his gaze back to the old woman.

 

"Don't worry, I'll take care of her like I take care of my own life." The old woman promptly replied with a strange sweet smile and Seohyun could have been sworn that scary old lady was smirking.

There was something really bizarre about her. She started to think that every little thing about this old lady was either bizarre or creepy and this was only a few minutes since she met her. She couldn't imagine that she had to stay with her inside that scary old house for a month. Just thinking about it just made her flesh creep.

As Mr. Seo began to walk back towards the rusty old gate, Seohyun suddenly ran to him and enveloped her father in a tight hug from behind.

 

"Dad, you have to come back in a month and take me away from here." Her voice came out hoarse and raspy, every word that escaped from telling him that she didn't want to stay.

 

 

The old woman stood still, staring at the father and daughter with a look of disgust on her face and silently she spoke.

 

"It will be the last time you ever hold your precious father, Seo Joohyun."

 

 

 

 

Seohyun pulled her luggage inside the house with the old woman leading her towards the main hall. The house was more scary from the inside, very dim and its windows were draped in heavy velvet that only scant of light seeped through it.

 

"Han, this is Seo Joohyun. She's the daughter of Seo In Gook, my nephew, and she'll be staying here for a month." Seohyun heard the old lady spoke and she quickly followed her gaze.

She saw a boy. A boy just around her age was walking towards them in a way that she liked to see. Quite handsome but when their eyes met, she suddenly felt uneasy. The boy was glaring at her with his piercing eyes, as if he was seeing something that he loathed with all his heart.

Seohyun gulped and quickly looked away, nervously holding the handle of her luggage.

 

"I told you to stop speaking to me!" He harshly snapped at the old lady, startling Seohyun that she found herself looking back at him.

He coldly looked at the old lady then back to Seohyun, looking at her with icy lifelessness and Seohyun was feeling even more uneasy.

 

"Where are you going?" The old lady asked loudly. 

 

"Away from you." Luhan responded in the same loud voice as he walked towards the front door but he stopped when he stood just beside Seohyun.

 

"You better leave this house while you still can." Luhan whispered to Seohyun in a tone of anger then continued to step towards the wooden front door.

Seohyun stood still, trying to understand what he meant by that, somehow deep inside of her she felt that she needed to listen to him and leave the house this instant. Not that she wanted to stay inside this creepy house, she was sure as hell that she didn't even want to spend a night at this house but of course she couldn't do it because of her father. Somehow she felt that her father brought her here for a reason. Something that she needed to find out by herself.

 

"He's my grandson. Very handsome, isn't he?" The voice of the old woman cut through her thoughts.

Lifting up her head, she was shocked to see the face of the scary old lady was just inch away from hers.

There's a look of dawning horror on Seohyun's pretty face.

 

"Don't even try to seduce him, young lady." She said in a stern and firm voice, sending Seohyun a glare that seemed to last forever. 

Seohyun on the other hand didn't understand why this sick old woman even said those things to her as if she would really seduce her grandson. That was just ridiculous. Not in a million years she would try to seduce a boy even if he was the finest guy on earth. She was very offended by this.

 

"I am sorry but-" Seohyun was trying to reply to her but in a quick move the old lady rose her cane and placed it against to quiet her. 

 

"Listen carefully young lady, I have lived much longer than your father. I know what girls like you can do to young men. Girls like you can drive any young man go insane! In the end they will be suffering after they left their wives and families just for girls with pretty looking faces like you!" She yelled the last sentence in a deep screeching voice.

Seohyun let out a heavy breathing as the old lady finally stepped away from her. This was just too much for her. The house, the scary old lady and an unfriendly grandson of hers, they were already giving her a nightmare.

The old lady looked at an old servant who stood in the corner of the hall and gestured her hand towards Seohyun.

 

"Cheol, take her to her room. The large room on the first floor... just next to her grandmother's room." She uttered the last sentence in a quiet tone and the old servant bulged his eyes out of fear, slowly shaking his head before replying.

 

"B-but madam..." He muttered, his lips quivered.

 

"Just do it!" The old lady shouted, causing the old servant to hurriedly take Seohyun's luggage and held it nervously.

 

"Miss. Joohyun, this way." The servant said quietly as he began to drag Seohyun's luggage. 

 

The old servant led Seohyun down a narrow corridor to a small hall where they could see tons of framed paintings hanging on the wall. She stared at them as she walked passed them, studying it one by one. There was something odd about those paintings, most of them were the portraits of her late grandmother and some of the paintings of people she didn't know that she believed to be the portraits of her grandmother's siblings and parents but she couldn't find the scary old lady's face in any of those. She didn't like to look at them for so long though since all the faces in the paintings were all staring at her with those sad and terrified eyes, as if trying to tell her that they were scared of something.

The old servant then led her to another narrow corridor, descending further into the depths of the house. 

 

"This is your room, Miss. Joohyun." The old servant said very quietly, almost in a whisper as he opened a large door.

Seohyun looked around her surroundings before she entered her room. Her bedroom door was located in the middle of two other doors. On her left side was a strange looking door with multiple locks. This must be her grandmother's room, she thought. And on her right side was the same like hers, nothing odd about that one.

The first thing that entered her awareness as Seohyun walked inside her room was the windows. There were no heavy drapes that covered the windows to block out the sun, making it less scary than the rest of the rooms inside this ridiculously huge house. 

 

"Miss. Joohyun."

Seohyun spun around and noticed the old servant had placed her luggage near the bed.

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Your grandmother's room. Please don't ever try to step inside that room." The old servant said before he hastily left Seohyun's room, not giving Seohyun a chance to reply to him.

 

 

 

 

 

An eerie atmosphere hung in the dining room that night. The old woman occasionally gave Seohyun that scary, menacing smile and a stare that scared the hell out of her as they were having their dinner, creating the most unpleasant dinner ever that Seohyun had experienced in her nineteen years of her life. All the scary smiles and the evil stares made her to lose her appetite to eat.

In an attempt to avoid the old woman's stare, she threw her gaze at the boy in front of her who had not said anything since they sat for dinner. From what she saw, that boy didn't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter