Act 3: Ignorance

Freak Show

Call it a woman’s instinct, but Joohyun does not trust her savior one bit, sure he saved her life, blah blah blah, all that fairytale crap. If her life was a movie, they would be happily married with three kids, but this is nowhere near fiction so she cannot take her chances with him or anyone for that matter. She reminded herself not to let her guard down even after he guided her the way to her room. Is it not suspicious how they allowed a total stranger into their house? Their sanctuary, the place where they are most vulnerable, it just does not click.

Nevertheless, she takes all the time she needs to wash up to retire for the night. She removes the bandages Yonghwa forced upon her forearms after successfully healing them despite her thousand refusals. Joohyun smiles, not even her parents have done that for her. She shakes her head, knocking her forehead with the back of her hand a few times to get her head together. “Remember not to trust anyone.” She chants softly to herself as she proceeds to the shower.

 

The next morning, Joohyun realises, that every day is pure chaos around this household. She stands at the top of the stairs, bewildered when she sees a couple of girls younger than her practicing magic- wait, what? Magic is not real! Then flashes of the precious day came to her mind.

“Joohyun, you are not going back to bed!” Yonghwa’s mother voice booms from the first floor.

Forcing a smile, she says. “Yes, I’m coming.”

“My, my, you look so pale.” She comments, taking a closer look at Joohyun’s complexion. Joohyun touches her face as a form of reflex, she has not been here for two days and she already misses the hospital. At least she gets to eat food there; her stomach rumbles just thinking about it. “I know you’re in pain so that pain goes away so mote it is.”

“Uhm, okay?” She replies, staring as Yonghwa’s mother places her head upon Joohyun’s head. “Someone help me?” Her voice rises by an octave, eyes darting everywhere else but right in front of her.

“Mother, you’re scaring her.” Yonghwa interrupts his mother, removing her hand away. “I’m bringing her out for brunch.”

“But we have food ready!” She argues back.

“Normal food she is used to, not food we Miraris eat.”

Joohyun gives Yonghwa an once-over, noting that he looks better in his normal clothes than those stupid coats he had to wear at the hospital all the time. He catches her looking at him; he gives her a knowing look before continuing his argument with his mother.

“Fine, then we let her choose.”

Joohyun coughs, clearing . “I’m fine with anything, really.”

Yonghwa closes in on her. “You’re really fine with eating live worms as a starter?”

“What? Live worms?” She spits out as she shakes her head vigorously. “Not worms, oh my god.”

“Fine, go and enjoy yourselves. Don’t come home too late, we have guests coming to see you, Joohyun.”

 

“Why did you save me?” She blurts out.

Yonghwa laughs slightly, shrugging his shoulders. Joohyun has been asking him that question for the past few hours since they were away from his parents. Why did he save her? He did not really know why. He stays quiet, pushing her plate of chocolate cake in front of her. He does not understand why people would eat such a thing; he thinks it is disgusting, looking at how Joohyun finishes it in less than five minutes.

“Tell me about your family.” She orders.

“Well, my dad, as you could tell, he was a result from an experiment which failed a few dozen years ago, resulting in loss of his senses, he can’t really feel things, or even smell food before tasting them. It all tastes the same to him. My mum is a telepathic witch, I already told you that. And I’m a healer.”

“Why do you always wear gloves?”

Yonghwa chuckles nervously, tugging on it subconsciously. “You won’t want to know.”

“I want to.”

“No, we sh-“

“Yonghwa.”

Taking a deep breath, he says firmly. “I said you wouldn’t want to know. So let’s go back home now.”

 

Yonghwa slams his bedroom door shut. He is glad his parents talked him into making his room soundproof after the nightmares kept coming when he lost her a couple years ago. Alas, once a life is lost, it is a life never to be reborn. Perhaps that is the reason he chose to help Joohyun the minute he saw her, the resemblance is uncanny.

On top of his dressing table is a reminder of a gigantic trouble he is, someone he hurt instead of trying to heal. 

A/N: Guess who he is referring to >.< Thank you for all the subs and comments!