Act 2: Stubbornness Runs in Our Blood

Freak Show

She is a monster. That is what they called her as she walked past through the school hallways – Joohyun was not sure whether they were referring to her powers or to her as a human being. She was just special, what her mother told her when she woke up with her bed floating in the middle of her room. She could swear she heard the words ‘I shouldn’t have taken her in’ muttered under mother’s breath as she fled the room, calling for help.

Her sister came in a few minutes later, screaming at Joohyun to go away, to get lost. She did not want a monster for a sister. The next thing they know, the bookshelf fell on Miyoung.

“Miyoung unnie, are you okay?” Joohyun called out, her bed landing harshly on the floor with splinters covering it.

“What do you think? She has a bookshelf on her. You are the same as your mother – a Miraris.”

“Miraris? Aren’t you my mother?” She is confused.

“Like I am the same as you freaks. I already called the mental hospital. They are on the way.”

Joohyun kneeled on her bed, bedspread messily covering her waist. “Mother, don’t let them take me away. Please!” She begged, her voice shaking as hard as her hands. “I will do anything.”

She heard about the mental hospital. None of them were good things; that was one for sure.

 

She could not move nor think properly. Nurses stood around her bed, tightening the restrains whenever she tried to move her arms or her legs. In the corner of her eye, she could see a doctor moving quickly, putting a shot in the syringe. Joohyun hated injections. Without helping herself, the shot flew across the room, breaking the syringe instantly.

“Did you see that?” One of the nurses muttered, nudging the other.


“Let me go!” Joohyun demanded, her bed shaking a little.

The door slammed open, revealing another doctor in pristine white coat unlike the rest who were wearing a dark shade of blue. “Doctor Kim!” One of them called out. Joohyun raised her head, trying to take a better look at the said doctor.

“Jonghyun, get out. This is none of your business.”

“She is one of them, am I right? Kibum, let her go.” He demanded, taking a step forward. “Let Doctor Jung take care of her, please. She is not supposed to be in here”

“What? They are freaks, Jonghyun! She is a freak, an insane one at that!” He said, staring right at the terrified girl lying on helplessly on the bed. “And I’m going to set her straight.”

“Please help me.” She begged, looking at Jonghyun. Joohyun had not felt the syringe entering her fine vein in her forearm, slowly infusing with her blood making her feel light, like a feather floating around the room. Her vision suddenly went black.

 

“Joohyun? Come with us.” Yonghwa holds his hand out, beckoning the girl to accept his offer.

She shakes her head. “No.”

“What? Why?”

“You’re going to use me, right? You’re going to give me up to the police so you’ll get protection.”

“First of all, I have my own bodyguards. Secondly, I have nothing to gain from them.”

Joohyun does not know whether she could trust him. Sure he has proven he is one of her people, but then again, how could Joohyun be sure he is not going to slit in the next minute?

 “Whatever.” She rolls her eyes, she is sure she is going to hate his guts. She hopes he will wake up with a headache tomorrow or she is not Seo Joohyun.

“I heard that.”

“Liar. You’re a healer, not a telepathic.”

Smirking, he his lips, she is feisty. “Smart girl. Let’s go.” He lets his hand out again but she ignores it, smacking it away as she walks past him.

 

“This is her.” Yonghwa informs his father, nudging the girl forward as he moves to throw more branches into the fire. Joohyun keeps her eyes wide open, taking note of everything sharp and deadly so she could use it if needed.

“Please don’t break the billiard cue. We just bought it.” His mother saunters in, placing a cup of tea in Joohyun shivering hands. “We’re here to help you, Joohyun.”

“She’s a telepathic witch.” Yonghwa answers her pending question, moving the pillow on the sofa away so the girl could sit beside him. She still does not trust anyone of them; she does not have a reason to trust them yet.

“But he saved you!” Yonghwa’s mother exclaims while Yonghwa pats her knee, informing her to ignore his mother.

His father takes a deep breath, approaching the fire with his bare hands, pulling a small egg from it. “That’s the third one this week.”

“Can I have it?” Joohyun piques from her seat.

“No.” Yonghwa answers her instead. He laughs at Joohyun’s reaction, removing his gloves and then reaching for her arm. She fidgets, not letting him hold her arm for more than a second. “Let me heal your damn wounds.”

“No, you’re annoying and I don’t like you.”

“Dude, they are bleeding. How did you even get them?”

Joohyun lifts her leg up, holding him still by his chest. “That’s my problem.”

“Childish.” He says when Joohyun starts tickling his upper abdomen, earning a chuckle from both his parents. “Just let me heal them. I won’t do anything else.”

If there is anything he could not stand the most in the world, it has to be open wounds. Being a healer, he takes in his stride to help anyone or even injured animals. Contrast to how he behaves, he does care about Joohyun, even if it is a tiny bit. But she is being difficult.

“I said no.” She huffs, crossing her arms with Yonghwa lying down sprawled on the ground with her sitting on his chest. 

A/N: This is bad, I am so sorry /sobs/