Clubbing

go, went , gone

Yoona was comtemplating her next move as she sat there on the bar stool, trying her best not to make any eye contact with anyone else while the people around her starts to point fingers and stare. She felt her skin itched. It probably be best if she continued to feign ignorance but even that failed when someone came over to her and said something.

A middle-age guy, nearly drunked but conscious enough still to tell Yoona her own name. “You are Yoona aren’t you? Like Girl’s Generation’s Yoona?” With that said, he started to stumble forward, trying to reach her.

She tried not to let her intimidation show as she racked her brain for a suitable reply. It wasn’t everyday, she was faced with some drunk guy in a club; she was at fault though, it wasn’t as if Jonghyun had force her to be here. She started to say something, “I-“

Jonghyun, fortunately, chose that time to make his reappearance. He took hold of the guy’s outstretched hand and gently lead him away, “Yeah, yeah”, it was like a sort of dance, the both of them, “shove your carte blanche crap somewhere else.” And then, that was that. He turned back around and quickly sized her up in one look, searching for any visible damage. He looked awfully worried. “You okay?”

She nodded, some sort of weight lifting off of her. He had been acting weird just now, on their way here, he was painfully quiet which was so unlike him. They were becoming close, or so she thought. They even had that phone call this afternoon-the longest yet-but then his attitude took a 180 degree turn into Cold Zone. He took off right after they stepped foot in the club and she, she was hurt.

At least he came back. “I’m fine, really", she reassured him once more.

“Yeah?” He run a hand through his hair and let out a breath he didn’t knew he was holding. “Ok, okay……good.” He didn’t know what he do if someone or something had hurt her, though she probably didn’t need to know that. His expression changed, “Ready to go to the dance floor?”

“What, are you serious?” Her eyes bulged out from their sockets, “Everybody here is watching us.”

“Nah,” He waved it off like it wasn’t a big deal and quick as a fox, he had her wrist in his hand, “just you, Princess.” There was a playful glint in his eyes as he tugged her behind him. He was luring her into the crowd of dancing people.

“Wait, hold up.” She tugged at his hold on her, stopping him in his track. Before she had even realized it, they were trapped. People had parted and now, circled around them. There was no way out. “People will probably know we’re out here.” Someone nudged an unidentifiable part of their anatomy against her back, she fell into his arms.

Almost instinctly, he wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her close. “I didn’t know you wanted me that much.” He joked. Bending forward, he spoke in her ear so that she could hear him over the pounding bass line of the lyricless song currently being put on replay. Club music was something born of simplicity, no words, just sound and absolutely nothing to hinder the listener from not-thinking. “Don’t worry we aren’t the only ones here.”

She followed his gaze to the upper floor and sure enough she saw some familiar faces, but before she could questioned the liability of their presence here, the music changed. And she was inexplicably much closer to Jonghyun than a few minutes before. Whereas the music before can be described as sugar-rush-inducing, this one was all primal and ferocious.

“C’mon, live a little, Princess.” He wasn’t looking at her as he said it but rather he was watching the DJ up on the stage. It was a female who seemed to be on friendly terms with him. The DJ waved and he waved back. Yoona felt something turned over in her stomach. Does he frequent this place?  She grabbed his arm to get his attention.

The words were lost on her tougue as he turned back around to look at her. The disco lights swept the whole floor, temporarily highlighting Jonghyun’s face in a golden shade. His hair was messily swept to one side while the corner of his mouth quirked to another; not a frown, but like an upside down smirk. A lock of his hair fell forward over his left eye and as she cautiously reached for it, his gaze lifted up to meet hers. He looked conflicted, unable to settle on just one emotion as he watched her. He his lips, waiting, giving her full control of the situation; she was free to push him away if she wanted to.

Yoona didn’t know what she wanted; just the feeling: wanting.

It was a small movement, her hips against his-she didn’t even know if she had moved or he did- and then all at once, they were dancing. They had sucessfully shifted and blended into the crowd of dancing strangers. Every beat was a glimpse of a stranger’s movement; face relaxed in a mid-laugh, limbs tangled with another, people shoving people away. Every turn and twist of their limbs were a chance of rediscovering each other and themselves. It was an intoxicating thing being there-he couldn’t resist it.

 

 

They were in the backseat of the Audi in the back alley of CLUB 1990. Yoona was there first. Jonghyun joined her after having started the engine but not before he hurt himself when he climbed over and into the backseat.

“Would you quit laughing already?” He scowled at her.

She couldn’t, still too consumed by the bliss of schadenfreude. “S-Sorry.”

His turned to face her, playfully chastising her, “Seriously, women! I’m hurt and your laughing your off. Where’s you maternal instincts, sadist?”

 She turned to face him now, trying to stiffle her laughter, “I’m still, still…..too excited.”

He was quiet for a moment, he looked out the car window. “So, you like it?”

“What?” She had finally stop laughing.

“Clubbing.” Really, what he wanted to say was 'this'. Them. But it didn’t matter.

She didn’t answered, and for a while he too had forgotten that he was waiting for a reply. Instead, he watched her finger splayed out on the seat between them, long and slender. His gaze moved upwards onto the fingers’ owner, currently supporting her head against the window, smooth, pale skin enveloped in a little black dress. He wanted to-

She stared straight at him then, much too serious than the question actually warranted. “You like it, don't you?” It sounded more like a statement than a real question. And really, she already knew the answer. Before he could say anything, another question left her lips, “Why?”

“It’s my escape.” His reply was void of any emotions. Eyes averted once more to the moldy wall outside his side of the car window. “And no, I don’t like it.” He didn’t know if he said that just to rebound her certainty or if it’s actually true.

“Really?” A real question this time.

He sighed. The buzz from before was gone. “What I like is”, he turned around to look her in the eye, to make sure she hears him. You. “The freedom to actually like it if I want to. So, every night I cross the line, and every morning,” the energy from his voice slowly runs out, “I will return to my place as if nothing had happen.” In the end, he was the soldier and the enemy; he was fighting against himself.

Yoona didn’t know what to say, as he looked at her, she imagined him as a wisp of smoke. Gone in between the time she breathes in air and the time she releases it; between nightfall and sunrise. She was nevertheless against the idea of him clubbing or whatnot to prove his point, but…

She was halfway onto his lap, when her lips first made contact. His left cheek. He looked up warily, the conflicted look making its reappearance on his face. She ignored it and instead, she took his hand and open it, spreading out his fingers from its previous balled-up state and placed a kiss there, lingering for a few seconds. She looked up and stared into his face, his stony expression softened.

He reached for her lips, splaying his hand out on both sides of her face, and then completely devoured them.

 

“.” He whispered.