Car Ride

go, went , gone

 

 

Getting inside the car, Yoona had not the slightest of clues to what this was suppose to lead to. After receiving his text-Me, you, ride?- and pretty much ignoring it, she received a call about five minutes later. She let it go into voicemail as she was in the toilet washing up and preparing for bed. Only after she was done had she listened to the voicemail and surprise, surprise, he casually mentioned that he was currently parked downstairs. And then something else about her apartment's security guard’s weight.

Evidently, ‘no’ was never an option.

Jonghyun watched her as she made herself comfortable in her seat at the passenger side, his expression oddly serious. “Seatbell.” One-word greeting and then, they were off.

Both of them were silent along the way to-nowhere?-somewhere, while she watched his profile as he drove. He was wearing casual clothes, none of those tight-fitted jeans or elaborated zipper jackets that clinched at the better parts of him, but normal everyday wear belonging to the male species. A hooded red sweater and loose jeans. Normal. He looked hot, well, better than usual anyway.

“Might wanna take a picture.” His voice seemed to amplify in the small space of the red Audi as he turned around to face her with a smug look on his face. This was when she noticed the grey beanie that he was wearing underneath the pulled up hoodie. With his hair out of the way, she could see every sharp line and curve of his face, his lips, his purposeful eyebrows, his jawline. No, hot wasn’t the word, how bout’ y?

And then his eyes, onxy black, staring back at her, albeit a bit lifeless, but still.

‘Yeah, y’s good,’ she decided quietly in her mine.

Lee Jonghyun doesn’t takes well to being ignored, he leaned forward to get closer and maybe get the message through to her that he was currently speaking to her. She leaned back immediately but cursed herself just as instantaneously for showing such cowardice in front of him. This only urged him to get even closer.

She pushed him away. “What the hell?”

“What?” He shrugged, one arm on the steering wheel, amusement darkening the shades of his eyes.

“Keep your eyes on the road.” She muttered frustratedly.

He laughed as the light turned green. He hit the gas pedal and drove and the both of them fell back into the now familiar silence, though the atmosphere was much more comfortable than before. Weirdly enough, she thought, but what’s that smell on him? She could’ve sworn she smelled the tang of alcohol emanating off of him but he couldn’t be driving drunk, could he?

She couldn’t stand not knowing, it was eating her alive, and so, “Were you drinking before?” She worded it that way so he at least knows that she was giving him the benefit of the doubt and not outrightly accusing him of driving drunk.

“Yeah, a couple of hours ago.” His gaze on the road didn’t waver, nor did his voice.

She kept quiet. How many hours ago, she wanted to ask but couldn’t if she didn’t want to come off as a prying busybody.

He glanced at her and saw how her expression was pinched. “I’m fine. Really.”

“No, you’re not.” She argued. It was obvious from the way he was slouching in his seat and even more so evident in his dazed eyes. This was how it happens : late night driving, driver under the influence, boyfriend and girlfriend found dead by sunrise - the end. People would call it a romantic tragedy and the media would eat it up. What better way to expose their relationship than lying in a puddle of their own blood, right?  She had to do something. Without thinking it through, she did the first thing that came into her mind: she grabbed his hand that was placed innocently on the gear stick in between them and gave him a pinch.

He immediately sat up straighter.

“What are you-“ He started to voice out his opinions on physical abusement but he was angrily cut off.

“Shut up and drive.” Another pinch, this time on the skin just below the base of his thumb.

He glanced over at her and saw how angry she was. She was pinching, clamping and kungfu chopping the meat on his palm, all the while muttering something under her breath. Her expression was all crooked lips and narrowed eyebrows. He turned his head back around to face the road, undeniably but tamed, well, for the moment.

 

 

Im Yoona was really digging out the guilt in him. It wasn’t even her useless torture inflicted on  his hand that really got to him but the quietness from her side. Even when they weren’t speaking, he would've felt the energy around her, vibrating almost, off of her presence in the car itself. Yet now, she continued to painlessly pinch and dully rub the flesh on his bony hand, gaze averted to silently watched her shoes; a dejected balloon.

“We’re here.” He had to use his other hand that wasn’t being incarcerated by a certain brunette female to get a clear grip on the gear stick. “And by here, I mean the parking lot of your apartment where I’m pretty certain there’s a certain potbellied security guard walking around with a donut.” He was trying to lighten the mood. It wasn’t working. Nevermind, he can play hardball too. “And if you wouldn’t mind, perhaps move your sulking to somewhere else, preferably somewhere not in contact with the car?”

She shot him a death glare at the instant his sentence ended, finally looking him in the eye. Her forehead scrunched up, and quiver but quick as she can her face turned neutral. Wordlessly, she tossed-no really, like baseball swing-his hand back to him. It landed with a lifeless thud by his side. Uh-oh. “Maybe?” He added as a feeble attempt to save the situation but it was too late.  She slammed the door open and was about to step out when he pulled her by her arm.

“Hey, wait”, he managed to stop her. 

She turned around and shouted in his face,“What?”

‘Well, that never happened before’, Jonghyun thought to himself. And it was true, having a member of the nation’s girl group shout at him really was a first. He tried to rack his brain for something to say, all the while she was struggling against his grip on her forearm. “Let go, will you?”

“Hey, stop! Just-“ He touched the space between her eyebrows that was scrunched up, smoothing it out,  and she fell silent for a second, just watching him. They were so, so, close. The moment passed, and she begun to trash around-

He kissed her. Grab her around the neck and just did it.      

 


Woot woot! Kiss! Comment <3