The First Day

All We Are (Is Everything That's Right)

Mark looked up at the grand school from the entrance gate apprehensively. It was a huge campus, and the buildings were beautiful -- lots of old charm mixed with new modernity -- but he couldn't help the bubble of anxiety that formed in his chest. He had been to so many different schools in several different countries, so Mark was used to being the new kid, but he wasn't used to knowing this was where he was going to stay. He wanted to make a good impression.

Sick of constantly moving due to his father's job, Mark demanded that summer that the next school he attended would be the last. He had already lived on 5 different continents, and now that his hope of sticking around in the U.S. was dashed, Mark was fed up. So when his parents broke the news that they would be moving to Asia and spending a few months in several countries for the next year, Mark made a deal with them. He would go with them to Asia, but he would get to stay in one place to finish out high school -- even if his parents were somewhere else.

When Mark's friend BamBam, whom he met when they were small children in Thailand, mentioned that he was attending an international boarding school in South Korea, Mark declared that was the school for him. He didn't really care where he went to school, and it would be nice to at least know one person, even if they weren't in the same grade.

Mark sighed. He hadn't seen BamBam in 9 years. Sure, they had talked once or twice a year since then, but Mark worried that BamBam wasn't going to be the same loveable kid he knew. He worried that he himself wasn't the same, and that BamBam wouldn't like him.

Adjusting his backpack and his hold on his small suitcase, he walked through the gates and headed toward the main office. He had sent the rest of his luggage ahead of time, and his family had to jet off to Japan for something that morning, so they had said their goodbyes last night.

Mark walked up to the receptionist and asked, "I've just transferred here. My name is Mark Tuan."

"Ah, yes. We've been anticipating your arrival. You will be in Dorm A, Suite 7 -- and here's your key. Your class schedule and other important information is in the packet. Here's a map of the campus as well. Go straight out that door to get to Dorm A. Your bags should be delivered to you this afternoon, after classes. If you need anything at all, just let me know." She replied with a welcoming smile.

Mark took the key and packet with a polite nod and headed outside, examining the campus map. This really was a huge place -- practically a college. Mark followed the receptionist's directions and found his dorm and suite, which was a huge open room with a shared bathroom and 4 separate sleeping areas. He could see a few dishes in the sink, but mostly the space was tidy -- video games and movies arranged near the TV, pillows and blankets on the couch, slippers neatly arranged by the door. No one was around, so Mark went into the only room in the suite that had an open door and found it was empty. Mark began to unload the few things he had in his suitcase into the room before sitting on his bed and looking at his class schedule.

It was a pretty basic schedule, but suddenly Mark noticed the time of his first class, and checked the time on his watch. If he didn't hurry, he'd probably be late for his first day of classes. He grabbed the map, looking for where his first class would be, when he heard a knock at the door.

Puzzled, Mark opened the door to find a familiar face grinning up at him.

"Mark! You're here!" BamBam yelled, hugging the older boy tightly.

Mark couldn't help but chuckle. "Hey, BamBam! It's good to see a familiar face!"

"Wow. You are even more good looking than I remember. Everyone's going to go crazy over you!" BamBam said once he finally released his hold on Mark.

Mark wasn't quite sure what to say to that. Attention always made him uncomfortable. "I hope not."

BamBam just smiled. "Don't worry! I'll make sure no one bothers you."

Mark smiled back. "Thanks, Bam. But I'm pretty sure my job is to watch over you, not the other way around."

"Oh, shoot! I'm supposed to be helping you get to class. We gotta hurry!" BamBam said with surprise after seeing the clock, grabbing Mark's arm and pulling him out into the hallway, giving Mark barely enough time to lock the door. He chatted animatedly the entire way, never letting go of Mark's arm, while Mark smiled to himself, glad to see his loveable BamBam hadn't changed at all.

When they had reached their destination, BamBam stood with Mark in the hallway outside the class door. "Here's your first class, Mark. You're in Class A -- which is why you are in Dorm A. I'm in Class E, so I'm also in Dorm E. Come find me later, okay? Suite 3!" BamBam waved goodbye with a final, "Fighting, Mark!"

Mark smiled, wishing BamBam was in his class. He turned to the door, took a deep breath, and slid it open a little. The teacher, who was in the middle of roll call, looked up and ushered him inside. "You must be the new student. Everyone, this is Mark Tuan. He transferred from America. Please treat him well."

Mark couldn't look up at the students, too aware of all eyes on him, but he bowed low, biting his lip to fight his nerves. He could hear the gasps and murmurs from the other kids -- he was used to that -- but it still made him want to run and hide in a closet.

"Why don't you take the empty seat on the right side over there in the back, next to Jinyoung." The teacher pointed to the open seat.

Mark walked to his seat and sat down quickly, hoping everyone's eyes would move back to the teacher soon. Instead of invidual desks, the classroom had large tables, so that two people sat at a table. When the teacher began speaking again, most of the eyes moved to look elsewhere, but Mark could feel one pair of eyes still watching him.

"Hey. My name is Jinyoung, but my friends call me Junior. Nice to meet you," his tablemate said, holding his hand out to shake. Mark shook his hand and looked up into the smiling face of a clearly fashionable guy. They all had to wear the same uniform -- navy button up blazer with white trim and navy slacks -- but this guy had added all the right accessories and even a stylish handkerchief in his front jacket pocket. Cute, Mark thought, before remembering he hadn't said anything back and he was kind of staring. "I'm Mark. Nice to meet you, too," He mumbled quietly, biting his lip again with embarrasment.

Junior eyes crinkled as his smile got bigger. "I think we'll be best friends." He declared.

Mark gave Junior a soft smile. He hadn't had a best friend in...well, ever, really. 

Maybe he really had found a home here. Mark could only hope it was true.

------------------------------

Damn.

That was the first thing Jackson thought when he saw the new kid. He was too ing good looking. Big eyes, pouty lips, porcelain skin, cheekbones -- he had all the characteristics of your stereotypical "pretty boy" -- and damn it if Jackson wasn't impressed. He couldn't stop staring at the new boy (so much so that he didn't even hear his introduction) but from the sounds coming from around him, neither could anyone else. The girls were squealing and sighing, and several boys even gave low "wow"s. 

Now the new kid was biting his lip, sending the girls (and boys) into new rounds of gasps. Biting his ing lip, and looking like a runway model while doing it. So now not only was he hot, he was adorable.

But what was with his hair? It was a deep red, standing out like a torch. For someone who doesn't seem to like attention, he sure picked an eye-catching hair color, Jackson thought. Interesting. He tried to ignore his initial attraction -- Jackson knew better after what had happened the first time -- and besides, the guy could be a total jerk for all Jackson knew.

The kid sat down next to Junior, which happened to be in front of his and JB's table. Junior was talking to him, and Jackson studied his profile -- the way his eyes fought to stay looking downward, flitting up every now and then to look at Junior, and the way his lips moved when he talked (a deep timbre of a voice that was unexpected, even while speaking softly), how flawless his skin really was -- and then Jackson heard the name "Mark."

Mark bit his lip again, blushed and gave Junior a soft smile.

Well, .