Me against the world

Träumerei

 

            It's almost a month later and the newly formed band still is in search of a bassist. No one of the few people the boys knew that played the bass was currently interested  in joining a band for the time being. But it wasn't enough to make them give up.

            The band had started the rehearsals, despite Kiseop and Dongho's insistence on how important the need of a bassist was, but Jaeseop had argument that a bassist wasn't that necessary yet and he had continued, "We can at least be ready when–and if–we ever get one," making the other think of his reasoning. "It'll be easier if we show a professional image, that we are in this for good and not just for the thrill of it."

            And they had to admit his reasons where enough to begin acting like a serious band, but Kiseop had still feel the need to clarify, "But we still need to keep looking for a bassist."

            With that in mind the, until now, three band members had organized a schedule for the rehearsals and had left the look for the fourth member, in a little hiatus. They had already successfully covered one of their favourite songs and Kiseop couldn't deny, even if he wanted, that this gave him immense pleasure and joy.

            A small smile was spread on his lips as he walked down the corridor of his school, bag hitting in rhythm with his steps against his hip as it was strapped across his torso. He was using a corridor he hardly used to head to his classes, but for going to his next lesson this was the shortest path. This side of the building was almost deserted, just silence surrounded him until he reached the base of the staircase and a low sound broke through the air like a soft lullaby. It sounded relaxing.

            Mesmerized by the beat of what it seemed to be a cello he waltzed in the opposite direction from the staircase. It felt like the notes hypnotized him, dragging him towards their source. Kiseop came to a stop before a door that was left slightly ajar and, by putting his palm against the hard wood, he pressed gently, opening it more so he could see inside.

            The low sound waves embraced Kiseop as the bow was drawn over the strings of the big instrument. The honey haired cellist was concentrated in the movements of his hands, his eyes downcasted, fixed to the music sheet in front of him as his fingers pressed the strings and the bow danced lower over them.

            Kiseop took a step inside the room, unnoticed by the man in front of him, another step and he accidentally hit a pair of cymbals placed on the side of the room. He tried to catch them before they landed on the floor but just as he took hold of one of them he tripped on a chair and his grip loosened. Kiseop closed his eyes at the loud sound that echoed in the big room.

            The music came to an abrupt stop and a slightly high pitched voice resounded. "What are you doing here?" The tone was harsh and the eyes that Kiseop saw when he opened his had an accusing glint.

            "I-I'm sorry! I w-was going to class when I heard this beautiful sound and-and I was drawn here and- you're really good you know!"

            Kiseop felt how those eyes scrutinized him before a request was uttered with a flat but demanding voice as the slender man tried to continue from where he was stoped, "Can you leave before you make any a major mess." There wasn't any sign that indicated that that line was a question. However, the tall raven remained in his place, looking around the spacious room where different types of instruments were scattered thoughtfully.

            "Do you play any other instrument?" he asked ignoring the hard glare directed in his direction.

            "None of your business." The boy bit out, glaring.

            "Okay...but do you?" Kiseop wasn't one to give up without a fight and so he insisted; he'd get an answer out of this boy no matter what.

            "Can you please leave?"

            "No if you don't answer me!" Kiseop smiled broadly, sure he could see a vein flattering on the side of the boy's left eye, but he somehow found pleasure in annoying him. Strange...

            The blond left the cello resting against a chair and with quick steps he approached to Kiseop, starting to push him towards the door once he was in front of the tall raven. "Guitar, violin, bass and piano. Now, get out." He left out a huff of air when he finished, closing the door on Kiseop's face.

            "Woah!" Kiseop exclaimed and waited a second before opening the door again slowly and poking his head inside. "I suggest you relax a bit," he said and pulled his self-backwards, closing the door so he wouldn't get hit by the music sheets book that came flying to his direction.

            Carefully Kiseop leaned his ear near the door to listen again to the music playing inside. But . . . silence. Not a single sound was heard through the door. Kiseop leaned in more, all his weight on the door, still . . . nothing.

            A loud yelp came out of his lips as he saw the floor getting near his face when the door suddenly opened and he tripped forward, a pair of feet appearing in front of his eyes.

            "Okay, what do you want?"

            He straightened up as he uttered unfinished questions, "Wha-how did you-whe-?"

            "I can see your feet under the door's crack," the blond explained with a bored tone, crossing his arms over his chest and waiting for Kiseop to respond to his question. "So?"

            Kiseop laughed lowly, shaking his head before he flipped his hair out of his face and met the other's eyes.

            "My brother and I are starting a band and we're searching for a bassist; if you're interested would you like to-"

            The stranger shaked his head in refusal before blanching out his reply, "Sorry, not interested. Now can you leave me alone?"

            "But..."

             "Seriously I need to keep practicing, leave!" The blond raised his tone a little at the end of the sentence making clear his order with a hard glare.

            Kiseop kept a sweet smile curving his plump lips as he spoke again, "If you change your mind . . . I'm Kiseop Lee," he introduced himself with determination gleaming in his eyes. He wouldn't give up so easily. If this guy was as good in playing the bass as he was with the cello he would do anything to have him in the band. "See you," he finished closing the door, but without missing the blond’s roll of eyes. Kiseop clicked his tongue, shrugging as he started his way to his class. The boy was just plain rude in his opinion but, okay, Kiseop had to admit that he was also a little pushy on his side, and he didn't usually did that.

            The raven took a seat at the very back of the auditorium and took out his books and before he could even take notice of it the class was over and the students were filling out the room around him.

            Kiseop threw a surprised glance at his phone's clock, then at his textbook where he had absent-mindedly scribbled a stage with four people standing on it. He was left staring at the doodle, fingers brushing on it. Tomorrow he would try to convince this huffy guy again, he needed to see the band complete.

            A smile spread on his face at that thought, even after complaining so much about Jaeseop's insistence he now was acting exactly the same and with someone who seemed to already dislike him, not that he minded; he didn't like the guy either.

            With a decision in mind Kiseop closed his notebook and walked out the auditorium.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

            Jun was making his way through the crowded corridor to the main entrance's direction, when he spotted a familiar little ponytail. Smiling widely he sprinted there and hooked his arms over the shortest's shoulders.

            "Hey buddy! I was looking for you!" He greeted, laughing when Dongho grumbled a sleepy greeting. "Did Jae text you?"

            "What about?" Dongho mumbled, rubbing his eyes with the back of his left hand.

           "So he didn't text you . . ."

           "Maybe he did, but I forgot my phone at home."

            Jun sighed, not slightly surprised of his friend's forgetfulness. "Then I'll tell you. Kiseop finally convinced Jaeseop to look for a bassist so they want to decide when and how to hold the audition."

            Dongho had to laugh at the image in his mind of how Kiseop might have ‘convinced’ his brother that they really needed a bassist if they wanted the band to work, most surely threatening to leave the band.

            "And let me just tell you that it didn't take that long for Jae to change his mind."

             "I bet." Dongho smirked. "So, what time?" He asked, stifling a yawn as they exited the school building.

            Jun pondered over it, his eyes falling at two girls that passed before them.

            "Jun" Dongho groaned, elbowing his friend.

            "Oh yeah sorry . . . well, you obviously want to take a nap, Jae is still at work and Kiseop's classes won't be over until this evening so . . . maybe around 8pm?"

            "Okay, I'll be there," Dongho assured as they stepped on the intersection where they parted ways. "But please don't let Jaeseop cook today."

            Jun chuckled eyeing the disgusted expression on Dongho's face. "Don't worry onenear death experience is enough for a week. I'll cook!" he concluded with a big proud smile.

           "It would be best if Kiseop cooks," Dongho suggested over his shoulder before distancing himself from Jun.

            The tall raven heaved out a huff before shouting after his friend's retreating form, "I'll make Jae cook then!" Jun turned away laughing when his friend flipped him off, he stuffed his hands deep in his jeans' pockets until he reached home a few minutes later. He entered the empty apartment closing the door behind him and strolling to his and Kiseop's room, threw his bag on the bed before letting himself fall on it too. Once he was comfortable enough he took out his cellphone from his back pocket ready to spend the rest of the afternoon scrolling down the internet, because homework can wait.

            And that was exactly what he did until the cellphone slipped from his grip when he dozed off a little and landed on his face with a thud.

            Jun flipped on his side to leave the electronic device on the bedside table when he noticed a worn out notebook–that he was sure he had seen somehwere before–on Kiseop's pillow. Dominated by curiosity he got out of bed and reached out for the black notebook, looking thought the first pages he muttered with a candid smile, "So he never stopped writing music." His eyes scanned over the written and re-written lyrics, smile staying on his lips all the while. "These are publishing material!" he murmured in awe, flipping the page to the most recent one and reading a new set of lyrics with the title "Strange Lover", Jun furrowed his eyebrows, interest suddenly picking up even more.

            He read the lyrics carefully. It wasn't as the other romantic songs that were very little and most seemed to have Jaeseop's love life as inspiration. It was an ode to that strange person that had captured the writer's attention; Kiseop sure knew how to express his emotions in a few lines. This happened to him? Jun thought.

            "What are you doing with that?" A deep voice interrupted the trail of his thoughts. "Kiseop doesn't like anyone touching his notebook."

            Jun startled on the bed, closed the notebook quickly and put it back in its place before turning to look at his older brother. "I- I didn't know- I'm sorry," the little one stuttered making Jaeseop huff out a soft sigh and shrug his shoulders.

            "I guess we can keep it as a secret . . .?" Jaeseop suggested flopping himself on the bed beside his brother as Jun nodded in agreement. "You don't want to see him if he finds out." Again Jun simply nodded, but this time in denial.

            "How come you're home so early?" Jun asked, looking curiously at the other.

            "Early? It's already 6, dude!" Jaeseop huffed out stretching his sore muscles.

            "Then Kiseop will be home soon, too." Jun commented, leaning down to place his head on his brother's belly.

            "Ya comfortable there?"

            "A lot actually." the teen mocked with a playful smirk. "Jae, do you know what Kiseop has in that notebook?" Jun asked peering up at the older man, still curious about that apparently recent written song.

            "How do you think I found out he doesn't like anybody touching it?" Jun grimaced like in pain and Jaeseop nodded in response. "This is why, by any means, don’t let him find out." He concluded ruffling his brother's hair.

            "It's such a shame though . . ."

            "I know, baby bro . . . now tell me;" Jaeseop perked up, looking at Jun expectantly. "What did you see in there?" His lips dragged up in one of his mischievous smiles.

            "Hmm . . . songs."

            The older raven rolled his eyes but decided to ignore his brother's try on teasing him. "Good ones?"

            "Yep, really good." He grinned. "But there was a romantic one that really surprised me." He said knitting his eyebrows.

            The word romantic while talking about Kiseop increased Jaeseop's interest. "Why?"

            Before Jun could answer Kiseop’s laugh reached their ears and along with it a slightly more masculine voice.

            "Seems you'll have to tell me later." Jaeseop patted Jun's shoulder forcing him to stand up. "Hello," he greeted the two incoming men once he stepped into the main room with Jun behind.

            "You're early," Jun commented when he saw Dongho helping Kiseop with the bags from the convenience store.

            Dongho shrugged, smiling. "I got bored after waking up."

            "One of my teachers is pregnant and she wasn't feeling well so the last two classes got canceled," Kiseop explained, walking to the small kitchen and leaving the paper bag he was hugging on the counter. "Here," he said and threw a chocolate bar at Jun and another at Jaeseop. "Something to hold you until diner," he smiled, giving a third chocolate to Dongho. "We're having fried chicken with curry tonight." Kiseop informed as he passed between his brothers that were standing on the entrance, stretching as he walked to his room.

            "And you just happened to walk into Kiseop . . .?" Jun asked Dongho that was already seated in the couch, nibbling on his chocolate.

            "We met in the bus station," he mumbled with his mouth full. "And since he was going to do the groceries I went with him to make sure he was cooking," the brown haired boy smirked.

            Jun rolled his eyes, jumping over the couch and landing beside his friend. "Don't worry we won't food poison you tonight as it seems," he joked laughing when Dongho elbowed him.

            "Oh! I found a probable bassist . . ." Kiseop informed as he passed through the living room again, changed in a pair of sweatpants and a black oversized hoodie. "But he's a little difficult, so it's most probably that he won't come find me," he shrugged, tying his slightly long hair in a small ponytail.

            "But I'm assuming you won't give up . . ." Jaeseop guessed following his brother into the kitchen and leaning against the counter while eating his chocolate.

            Kiseop shrugged. “I will ask him again, he is really good!"

            "Okay . . ." Jaeseop looked at Kiseop with a little smile, it was not common to see that childish attitude on the eldest of the three, he always tried to act composed and mature, especially since Jun had started living with them. "But, still, we need to make an audition. I’m not accepting any random bassist," he continued between little bites of his chocolate. "And I think we need some weeks to organize it."

            "Of course, so in case that guy won't change his mind we'll have some backup plan." Kiseop fumbled with his phone and a quick tempo rock song started coming through the speaker. He put it on the table before turning and starting to cook.

            "Love the way you're thinking." Jaeseop winked and threw his arm over his brother's shoulder, resting his chin on the other side. "Want any help?"

            "No, I think I'll pass on poisoning tonight." Kiseop turned slightly his head to take a bite from Jaeseop's chocolate ignoring the offended gasp and looked on Jaeseop’s face with a cheeky smile.

            "Thank you Kiseop!" two voices from the couch reached their ears.

            "I will specially cook for you two!" Jaeseop yelled walking out of the kitchen, leaving Kiseop alone to laugh as he heard the squeals of the two teens that were being 'attacked'.

            "Or even better; I will cook you two!" Jaeseop growled, and they laughed even harder at his threat.

            "Oh Jaeseop, don't frighten the poor children~" Kiseop taunted, chuckling lightly when he heard Jun bursting out in hysterical laughter.

 

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

 

            A week passed by in an easy pace, the streets of Two Bridges and near districts were papered with posters and handouts announcing an upcoming audition which searched for a bassist for a newly formed band in another two weeks time. Things were calm except for a blond young man for whom that last week had been a living hell.

            He was walking quickly through the hallways that guided him to the music classroom when, "Kevin!" Kiseop’s voice reached his ears–the raven had asked around some other students what the cranky boy’s name was–, all the effort on avoiding him had gone to waste.

            "When will you stop pestering me?" He grumbled as the raven stopped in front of him.

            "Aww, Kevin, you wound me!" Kiseop pouted, putting a hand over his heart and taking his most pitiful, kicked puppy look. The blond just deadpanned at him before taking a deep breath and turning around in all of his sassy attitude. "Aw! Come on, Kevin!" Kiseop exclaimed running behind the boy. "Just give us a try! Is this so hard to ask?"

            Kevin halted and looked over to Kiseop. "Would you be in there too?" he asked, Kiseop nodded in response with a confused look. "Then; yes, it's hard to ask!"

            "You don't have to like me!" Kiseop said unimpressed with the other's retort. "It’s just giving it a try; you don't even have to talk to me."

            "I don't want to!" Kevin snapped, emphasizing each word. "Why can't you understand that?"

            "Because you're a good musician and you should share that talent with other people!"

            "Too bad for you I'm an egoist and my music is only mine!" Kevin huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Now, will you leave me alone?"

            Kiseop frowned, eyebrow rising in stubbornness. "Not until you give it a try." He bit out.

            Kevin gritted his teeth. "No is no. Read my lips," he growled, pointing to his lips as he mouthed the tiny word.

            Kiseop grimaced at that, looking as if disgusted at the other.

            "You're so childish..."

            "Look who is talking," Kevin sneered. "The whimsical little kid that can't accept a 'no' as response!" He made a pause considering a way to stop Kiseop from insisting on the idea. "Why it has to be me? Do you like me or something?" he asked in a mocking tone.

            "Ew! As I would ever want to date a squirrel!"

            Kevin's sufficient expression soon turned into a wrathful one. "Just stop bothering me!" he exploded, turning on his heels and storming away, leaving a stunned Kiseop behind to look at his retreating form, surprised by the sudden outburst, until he took a deep breath and gritted his teeth.

            Maybe Kevin wasn't worth his efforts.

            On the other hand, Kevin, who had planned to practice with his cello in the music room for the rest of the day–until the concierge came to tell him is was time to close–as he always did, he decided against it after the not-so-casual encounter with Kiseop and, instead, he marched back to the parking lot, hopped into his car and drove back home.

            The sound of Chopin's Nocturne Op.9 No.2 broke softly through the air when he reached his home, assuring Kevin that his mother was somewhere in the house. He stomped his way up the staircase and into his room, still annoyed.

            Throwing his bag on the little sofa, he saw a handout resting on the desk placed on the farthest side of the room. He read quickly the information filling it before a sweet voice came from the frame of the door where a petite woman was standing. "Oh you found it." A caring smile stretched the woman's lips. "I thought you might like to give it a try."

            "What?" Kevin asked dumbfounded, looking at the pamphlet in his hands and then at his mother. "Why?"

            "Because you love music and it's time to man up sweetie. And this will be an amazing way to do so." The woman walked into the room and cupped one of his cheeks with her warm hand. "Will you consider it at least?"

            Kevin closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh before nodding slowly.

            "You have two weeks, baby." His mother stood on the tips of her toes, left a kiss on his cheek and then turned and left the room, leaving Kevin alone with his thoughts.

            Was the world against him? First Kiseop following him around and insisting to join his band, and now his mother had had a similar idea. A long sigh left his lips. The difference was that unlike he had done with Kiseop, he couldn't say no to her.

            At least she had asked for a only try-out, he didn't have to stay in that band if they chose him. And there was a good thing in this band in particular . . . Kiseop wasn't part of it.

 

 


 

Alex: woohoo! 3rd chap is up~~~ and the spawnish spawn is in~
Kiseop: why I have the feeling he will bring us hell?
Alex: *smirks* nooo not at all~ neh, Dani?
Danii: Yep, he is an innocent angel ♡
Kiseop: pfft
Alex: Dani that's probably the best joke I've ever heard
*Kiseop hits Alex's shoulder as he's trying to stiffle his laughter*
Danii: I know right! But let him believe his own lie
Kevin: What lie?
*everyone perks up, smiling like angels*
Alex: nothing, noothing baby. ^________^
Kevin: were you talking about me?
Everyone: No~
Kevin: hmm...-.-
Danii: we were just saying that we are happy you're finally here
Kiseop: yes that, exactly that!
Alex: mhm *nods excitedly*
Kevin: ....I'll act like I believe you
Kiseop: *mutters* just like we do with you
Alex: pff- ahem *clears throat* so~ Kevin dearest~ are you here to stay?
Kevin: Yes~ I know Jaeseop is around here, I want to torture him with my prescence a little *smirks*
Danii: that's my lovely spawn
Kiseop: I feel alone... Eli...:(
Alex: awww come here sweetie ♥ come let's enjoy Kevin torturing AJ for the meantime okay?
Kiseop: ...Okay... *hugs Alex*
Kevin: when the time comes you'll torture Eli in your own way, right?
Kiseop: I would never torture my bab- okay, just a little ^ω^
Alex: you two...*shakes head*
Kevin: *smiles sweetly* where is Jaeseop by the way?
Kiseop: Come I'll show you *pass his arm around Kevin's*
Danii: So evil yet so adorable *proud* Shall we also go Alex~?
Alex: *touched* *wipes a lone tear away* so beautiful...yes let's go, sweetie~ byebyebee everyone~