Hyunra

Wasn't His Forte

Hyunra

 

Kyuhyun scowls to himself and groans tormentingly as he shifts to his side of the bed and glances at Ryeowook who was dozing in his sleep and shifts a little to lay a comforting hand on his arm. “It’s your turn,” Ryeowook tells him and he gets up forcefully as he scratches the back of his head and ruffling his hair musingly as he motions himself, ever unwillingly, towards Hyunra’s room who perfectly shook the hush of his parents’ peaceful sleep.

 

He turns on the night lamp and looks for the clock hanging on the wall. He lets out a grunt and sighs defeatedly realising he won’t have enough time to go back to bed and catch some desire sleep. It’s 3 in the morning and his son’s wailing at the top of his lungs, crying for god knows what, and whining tremendously.

 

“There, there,” Kyuhyun begins as he leans near the crib and bends to scoop his little Hyunra out of bed. “Appa’s here. Appa’s here.” He assures his son, swallowing the words as it roll weirdly on his tongue. It’s been two months since Ryeowook and Hyunra was discharged from the hospital. 

 

He scans for the bottle and finds it empty. Hyunra sure is an eater. He leans his son against his chest and starts rubbing the back of the small frame hoping that sense of touch will sooth him and make him stop from crying. 

 

Hyunra’s room was used to be an empty room filled with his and Ryeowook’s paper works and other office materials and supplies. Since he works as a Math teacher and Ryeowook composes songs and arranges lyrics, the closets and shelves used to be filled with test papers and music sheets. Kyuhyun laughs to himself as he tries to sway Hyunra to fall to sleep. It’s been a year almost when the doctor announced that Ryeowook would gave birth to a child and he had to pinch himself every night just to convince himself that he’s going to be a father of Ryeowook’s child.

 

He sighs deliberately yet again as Hyunra continues to wail and he shudders at the feeling that he won’t seriously go back to bed, not with his little punk whining at him for a reason he has yet to decipher. Kyuhyun thinks like a Sherlock, as if his son is some code that needs to be crack when all seriously, Hyunra must just be hungry.

 

The wailing didn’t stop as he tries to sway his son back to sleep again and he lets out an annoyed shuffle of breathes when Hyunra had been monumentally crying, tears creeping nonstop and face slightly turning red.

 

“Hyunra. Appa,” he mumbles to his son, hugging it close and kissing the top of his head. He walks out the room and decides to grab his chance to the kitchen. He clicks the thermos open and snatches one of the clean bottle from the bottle cleaner on the counter. He simultaneously sways his son carefully as he prepares his bottle. He closes the lid heedfully and check the temperature of the milk before handing it ever delicately to his son. He cautiously let his son the teat and he concurrently shifts Hyunra’s position so that’s he’s lying on Kyuhyun’s pale and toned arms. He the forehead lightly and Hyunra’s stares at him quietly, contented in his milk while being cradled by his father.

 

Kyuhyun walks towards the living room where he kicks the futon packed neatly by the couch on the floor and pulls some throw pillow on it. He grabs the blanket by his left foot and as he smiles at his son, he gets down gently on the futon and covers the blanket around Hyunra. His son lets out a laugh when he cringes his face by sitting on his foot making it twitch in pain. He smiles at his son as he cursed inside his head instead. “You like it when Appa’s getting hurt.” Hyunra laughs again and he fights the urge to pinch the small nose.

 

After finishing his bottle, Hyunra falls asleep automatically and Kyuhyun lies him down the futon careful not to shake him awake. He pats gentle taps on Hyunra’s thigh before lying beside and let sleep take him. He glance half-lidded eyes at the clock and grunts because in less than an hour he needs to get up and get ready for work. 

 

 

Hyunra had reached his 6th month and Ryeowook could’ve never been happier. Well, and Kyuhyun of course.

 

It was a cold afternoon when Kyuhyun comes home to see the living room totally empty but he’d figure his family’s in the kitchen eating dinner, moreover, Ryeowook feeding Hyunra his supper. By the time he reached the kitchen Hyunra squeals at him and Ryeowook looks at the direction his son is chirping ever delightfully. 

 

“I’m home,” Kyuhyun surprises them and Ryeowook latches at him innocently before brushing his lips against Kyuhyun’s for a sweet and passionate kiss. Kyuhyun hugs him near and wanders a hand at the back of Ryeowook when Hyunra squeals to cut them off.

 

“Why, can’t I kiss Umma for too long?” Kyuhyun exclaims as he leans and kisses Hyunra’s forehead. “How have you been you little rascal? You have more food on your face than you’ve actually eaten,” Hyunra looks at him and lets out a laugh, shaking his arms up and down and muttering bubbles on his lips as Kyuhyun pinches his cheeks and kisses them simultaneously despite the mush scattered on the face. 

 

Ryeowook smiles to himself seeing Kyuhyun ecstatic. “How was work?” he asks as he prepares them supper and Kyuhyun sits in front of Hyunra and feeds him sweet potato sauce. 

 

“It was the same. Finals for this semester. Can’t wait for my semestral break.” He replies as he flashes his wide grin and Hyunra mouthes him. “You think Hyunra would be a math teacher like me or a composer like you?” Kyuhyun asks as he feeds his son the last spoonful and Ryeowook laughs at the flapdoodle idea. 

 

“Isn’t he too young for that?” Ryeowook replies, kissing Kyuhyun’s forehead and earning a wide smile. 

 

“Ah before I forget,” Kyuhyun manages to squeak, handling the bowl on the sink and fishing something out his bag. He reaches out the rattle in a shape of lollipop in soft edges to Hyunra who looks at the object confusingly before grabbing it and it in his mouth.

 

“Do you like it rascal? Happy 6-months!” Kyuhyun exclaims excitedly as Ryeowook leans beside him and Hyunra looks at his parents with big brown orbs after flashing his cute bright smile. His parents shakes their head as if telling, he’ll break everyone’s hearts because of his cuteness and Kyuhyun wraps an arms around his Ryeowook who pulls him for dinner.

 

 

Kyuhyun realises that when something drops off from his grasp, Hyunra shrieks and thinks that everything that falls off from his grasp—disappears. As in, eaten, like a black hole swarming his toys and Kyuhyun finds it deliberately funny when Hyunra cries every time his rubber ducky falls of his hands. Those tiny hands and fingers tangling through the teddy bear ever so lightly and bemuses himself with a shatter every time he lost hold of his toys. 

 

“Hyunra,” Kyuhyun assures him one time when they were in the living room. He was busy checking some lesson plans and Hyunra was crawling all over the rubber mat near him. Hyunra was holding his stuffed toy Tayo when it latches itself between the table’s legs and Hyunra continues crawling, leaving Tayo under the table. Realising that the had gone missing he suddenly erupts into wailing and Kyuhyun seeks beside him.

 

“Tayo, is here, see?” Kyuhyun tells him as he grabs the toy and hands it to his son. Hyunra stops crying and hugs the toy, giving it a kiss, giving Kyuhyun a kiss and then starts crawling again. Kyuhyun smiles and forces himself back into checking the papers while eyeing his son every minute or two.

 

 

By the time Hyunra reached his 11th month, he’d managed to stand on his own and blubber out sounds and insignificant words. But every time words or simple mumbles came out from his lips, Ryeowook would jot it down on Hyunra’s baby record and smile to his son’s minnie achievements. 

 

Ryeowook was playing the piano when Hyunra had crawled towards his study from his bedroom after  a nap. He sees his Umma playing the piano with wonderful melodies and with much delight he crawls towards the stool and stands behind Ryeowook who was still engrossed on trying some tunes he had composed. 

 

He was swaying to the melody, bouncing up and down, his little and cubby limbs and arms bouncing against his movement and he flashes his ever charming smile that he’d probably gotten from his dad as he bounce his head and hands on the beat.

 

Kyuhyun peeks at the room as he got home and smile at the sight of his Ryeowook playing beautiful medley and his son dancing, well, sort of dancing along with it. Hyunra notices him and looks at him with hair quite a mess from his afternoon nap and face all scrunched in an adorable smile. Slowly, he lets go of the stool and Kyuhyun quickly kneels down getting Ryeowook’s attention who stops playing and looks behind.

 

Hyunra looks at his dad with cheerful smile as he little by little reaches towards his dad and in a motion every parent would feel glad about. They’re son is walking, baby, little, as in teeny-weeny steps! Kyuhyun reaches out his arms as Hyunra reaches for him. He barely made it to his father as he stumbles down and Kyuhyun was there to catch him and carry him. Hyunra wondered why his dad was showing some tears, he thought he had made something to make him cry but when he looked at his mom, Ryeowook was all in tears as well.

 

“Hyunra, good job!” Ryeowook tells him as he kisses the boy’s lips and Hyunra smiles widely in return. He looks up to his dad who kisses him too.

 

 

It was a lazy afternoon when Ryeowook asks him to stay in while he do some errands at the supermarket. He plays with Hyunra all afternoon when they both sit on the couch and settle for a marathon of Pororo the Little Penguin and Tayo the Little Bus on a certain kiddie channel.

 

 Hyunra was sipping on his apple juice while he sips his tea when Hyunra mumbles words Kyuhyun finds himself laughing at. “You rascal,” Kyuhyun pinches his son and Hyunra laughs at him.

 

He sits on his dad’s laugh and flaps his hands as the entrance song of Tayo the Little Bus plays on the screen. Kyuhyun hugs him and ruffles his brown locks as he watch along Hyunra. Hyunra was arguing with the red firetruck and white police car when Ryeowook enters the house. Kyuhyun waves at him and instructs him to seat with them.

 

Ryeowook places the grocery in the kitchen before cuddling beside the two most handsome men in the house. He leans his head against Kyuhyun’s shoulder and Kyuhyun holds his hand while holding Hyunra with his other hand on his lap.

 

By the time the show had ended Hyunra looks at them and kisses them both on the lips. 

 

“…U-umma!” Hyunra mumbles slowly after he kissed Ryeowook and Ryeowook blinked at him. 

 

Hyunra kissed Kyuhyun after muttering a loud yet loosely, “A-a-aappa!”

 

Both of them looked at their son and happiness can’t be enough to explain the rapturous they’re feeling right now.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Ryeowook and kiss him fully on the lips while Hyunra focuses himself back on the screen again, pushing himself down the floor, sipping his forgotten apple juice.

 

“Thank you for giving me Hyunra,” Kyuhyun mumbles as he hugs Ryeowook tightly and Ryeowook cups his face.

 

“I have to tell you something,” Ryeowook cuts him between kisses and Kyuhyun looks at him behind the half-elated eyes.

 

Ryeowook grabs his hand and puts it on his belly through the shirt. Kyuhyun looks at him confusingly for a while before recognising what he had actually meant.

 

“I’m pregnant with a baby girl.” Ryeowook announces joyfully and Kyuhyun gulps but then shoos it away because if that will make Ryeowook happy then be it. If it means a new family member then game on. If it means having another Hyunra in long hair and girly clothes, oh he thought wrong, of course it’s another child. Another child of his and he would much likely accept the challenge.