Nepotism

What Are You Waiting For (take a bite of my heart tonight)

Day six is the best day by far. It stands heads above the others because this is the day that Sunggyu gets to see Dongwoo. A young cadet with the last name Kim picks him up from his cabin at ten after ten and takes him directly to the infirmary.

The first thing Sunggyu sees in the designated area is a young woman, stomach rounded with obvious pregnancy, a blood pressure cuff on one arm while a doctor pumps it and watches the gauge carefully. It’s the simplest of things to see, but it strikes Sunggyu, and for the first time he realizes that he’s seen so few women over the past few days.

It makes sense, he supposes. After all, everyone lucky enough to be on the ship when the infection hit is male, which immediately skews the ratio. It’s likely that an equal amount of women and men are refugees, but Sunggyu hasn’t really seen them. He’s not really paid much attention to the refugees in general.

His eyes linger on the woman just a bit more, instinctively concerned for her in her condition, but then he’s moving on.

Dongwoo calls his name loudly and Sunggyu rushes to his side, embracing him.

“Are you okay?” Sunggyu demands. Dongwoo is somewhat of a fool, but he’s Sunggyu’s fool. “What happened?”

Dongwoo’s arm is in a sling and he can’t hide the grimace that passes over his face every time he moves. In addition, he’s got a spectacular bruise on his lower jaw and two of his fingers are splinted together.

“Bad luck,” Dongwoo sighs out, a smile forcing onto his face. “I guess I ended up in the crazy pack on accident. I tried to get out, the second I realized I’d lost you in the crowd, but it was impossible. They were dragging me along with them, pulling so hard I dislocated my shoulder.”

Sunggyu glares at the sling. Dongwoo getting injured is the last thing they need right now. They need to be a solid team full of strength and noting less. Sunggyu is starting to understand how the new world will work, and Dongwoo’s injury is more than just that.

“When those bullets started flying,” Dongwoo continues, head shaking, “that’s when I started throwing punches. I didn’t think those soldiers were going to take the time to realize that I wasn’t trying to attack them like everyone else. So I started hitting everyone around me, trying to get away. One of them hit back.” He inclines his head to indicate where the bruise is from.

Sunggyu presses, “Your fingers?”

“I fell,” Dongwoo says easily. “I put my hand down to stand up and someone stepped on my fingers. With very heavy boots. Brother two fingers.”

There’s a chair next to Dongwoo’s bed and Sunggyu sinks into it gratefully. He puts his face in his hands for a second and lets himself admit, “I was really worried.”

Dongwoo teases, “Worried over me? Oh, Sunggyu. That’s adorable.”

Sunggyu is careful to pinch him on his uninjured arm. “What do you think? That I don’t care what happens to you?” Sunggyu scoffs.

It’s odd what happens in that moment. The infirmary is bussling with people, patients and doctors, and everyone is chatting loudly. There seem to be more patients than beds, and even less space, but it all sort of drops away and then it’s just Dongwoo and Sunggyu.

Dongwoo says, leaning forward to bump his head gently against Sunggyu’s, “My parents are dead.”

Sunggyu swallows down the lump in his throat. “Mine are too.”

“And my sister,” Dongwoo continues. “So are all my cousins, my aunts and uncles. All my family. Everyone is dead. All my friends, all my classmates. The lady who lives under my apartment and always bakes too much and gives away cookies and brownies and cupcakes to all the kids in the building. There is no one I knew who’s left.”

“Dongwoo.” Sunggyu bows his head.

“Except you.” Dongwoo surprises him with the statement. “You might have your brother, Sunggyu, but you’re all I have left, so it means something to me that you were worried. It means a lot.”

Sunggyu has known Dongwoo for roughly a week. Dongwoo is the kind of person where, if the world hadn’t ended, Sunggyu would have avoided, or forgotten about after visitor’s weekend. And Dongwoo is right, Sunggyu still has his brother, but Sunggyu still has Dongwoo, too.

Sunggyu holds his hand out and Dongwoo slaps it in return. “We have each other, okay? We’re in this together.”

Dongwoo relaxes back into his pillows and says, “I think I get to go home tomorrow. Well, back to the cabin. Is it considered home?”

Sunggyu can only shrug. “For now, at least. Until we hit Japan.”

Dongwoo’s eyebrows furrow and he asks, “Japan?”

Voice lowering, Sunggyu leans forward so only Dongwoo can hear him, and with the other, louder conversations going on in the infirmary as cover, Sunggyu says, “I’ve been trying to get as much information out of my brother as I can. I know that right now we’re about a day and half out from hitting Japanese waters. There were a couple of more, unaccounted Korean ships that have joined up with us and slowed us a bit, but we’re still going to Japan. I guess the Japanese command is still going strong--they’ve got themselves set up on a couple of the smaller islands where they can control whether they’re in contact with the infected or not.”

“Somewhere safe?” Dongwoo asks, almost like it’s a foreign concept.

“Maybe,” Sunggyu allows. “They’ve been operating with no incidents for a couple of days now, and I think they have the situation on lockdown. Yunho said that there aren’t a lot of them, though.”

“The Japanese?”

Sunggyu nods. “I guess the main island was overtaken within a day, the same as Korea. There wasn’t time for an evacuation of any sort, and it doesn’t look like many people survived. A couple thousand, likely.”

“Thousand?” Dongwoo’s eyes budge.

“There’s always the chance that some of the people in the less populated areas are alive, and maybe some of them actually managed to hide, but they’re unaccounted for. Yunho’s seen the actual numbers from the people that the Japanese government is sure survived, and it’s in the low thousands.” When Dongwoo mumbles about how low the number is, Sunggyu reminds, “We’re not looking at better numbers for us.”

Yunho’s said a lot of about numbers. The South Korean fleet is in constant contact with some of the still standing countries. Some places are coming in with the high hundreds of thousands, but some are in the low thousands. The more isolated areas are showing higher numbers of survivors, but probably not for long. Numbers drop lower every day and Yunho has confided in Sunggyu that the drop looks like it may reduce the planet’s population to well under a billion. They are looking at a full extermination.

But then there’s Jerusalem. The Holy City.

Sunggyu doesn’t tell Dongwoo about Jerusalem, but he thinks about it. Jerusalem with its high walls and still standing civilian populations is the one outlier in a long list of decimated cities. Jerusalem’s protected population says only one thing, and Sunggyu hates them for it.


“What are we supposed to do when we get to Japan?” Dongwoo asks, drawing Sunggyu out of his thoughts.

“Not sure,” Sunggyu says, and it’s the truth. “Maybe we’ll team up with the Japanese and combine forces to protect what’s left of us. I can’t imagine there’s much else to do.”

“Work on a cure?”

A cure. Is there such a thing? They still don’t know what they’re facing. They still don’t know what this infection is? What kind of disease could turn people into monsters and spread so fast? Sunggyu doesn’t know much about infectious diseases, but this seems something radically new and unknown. A cure seems like such an impossible idea that Sunggyu dares not hope.

He says, “I’m sure someone is working on a cure somewhere. But until that happens, we need to protect ourselves. We need to consolidate and protect.”

Silence falls between them and Sunggyu lets his thoughts wander. It’s an easy thing to do, with so much to think about. He considers how hard Yunho is pushing himself, working double and triple shifts, and how out of control the civilian population managed to get in such a short amount of time. Will they actually be safe near Japan? Is there any saving the human race t all?

“Oh, hey,” Dongwoo says, raising his good hand to wave at someone across the infirmary. He calls out, “Sungyeol! Over here!”

Sungyeol turns out to be an extremely tall, but youthful looking man probably their age. He’s got a pale sheen to his skin and dark circles under his eyes, both likely having something to do with the toddler he has pressed against one shoulder. He’s rubbing the little girl’s back as he wanders over, feet dragging across the floor.

“Sunggyu,” Dongwoo introduces, “this is Sungyeol. He’s been cooped up in here the same as me. Actually, he’s been keeping me sane this whole time. I think I’d be crawling up the walls if it wasn’t for him.”

Sunggyu eyes the tiny girl in his arms and asks, “Is she okay?”

There’s an obvious, striking resemblence between the two of them, enough to indicate that they’re clearly related. Siblings. But Sunggyu’s more concerned with the heavy flush to her features and the way she’s sagging against her brother, almost lifeless.

“Jiyeon is just fine,” Sungyeol says, so defensively that Sunggyu is startled. He even turns her body away from him, as if to shield her even more.

“Sungyeol,” Dongwoo says, frowning, “Sunggyu saved my life. He’s my best friend. It’s okay. I promise.”

Sunggyu is someone’s best friend, apparently.

“I’m just concerned,” Sunggyu says, attempting to cool the situation. “She’s young.” She’s the youngest people Sunggyu has seen on the ship by far, at least until the pregnant woman gives birth.

After a few tense seconds Sungyeol seems to relent and the protective hand on his sister’s back starts to rub soothingly. He apologizes, “Sorry. I’m a little high strung right now.” And allows himself to sit when Sunggyu offers up his chair.

“She’s just got a cold,” Sungyeol says when he notices Sunggyu looking at the toddler again. “She’s not going to turn into one of those monsters are start eating your face. It’s a cold, probably from all the commotion and past couple of days. She’ll get over it. She’s strong.”

Sunggyu doesn’t ask why Sungyeol is shouldering the baby, instead of their parents. Neither does he ask the story of how the two of them ended up on the ship. Histories and explanations are starting to turn into things that people have to give freely, and not be pressured into.

“She just looks sleepy right now,” Sunggyu says, trying to give the toddler his best smile. It probably looks as awkward as it feels. Sunggyu has never been good with babies.

Sungyeol taps his foot in what seems to be an unconscious tick and adds, “Just wait until she’s feeling better and gets a good look at Dongwoo. I think I’ll have to fight him for my sister’s honor in a couple of hours.”

Dongwoo laughs and puffs up his chest, stating, “I can’t help it if chicks dig me.”

Sungyeol gives him a mock glare and Sunggyu feels an honest smile breaking out on his face. He tells Sungyeol, if you need me to sit on Dongwoo so you can land the final blow, just let me know. I’ve been watching him. He’s weak on his left side.”

Dongwoo crones something about betrayal and Sungyeol throws his head back as he laughs deep and loud.

A friendship is born in that very moment, and Sunggyu doesn’t even see it coming.

An hour later Sunggyu has Jiyeon in his arms because Sungyeol is complaining that his own are tired. Sunggyu looks down at the tiny toddler in his arms and he feels something bubble up in his chest, as if he needs a reminder that this in his arms is part of what they need to be protecting. It’s almost a little sickening how fast Sungyyu’s been turned into a pile of liquid goo with the pouting power of one toddler.

Sunggyu rocks Jiyeon in his arms, feeling at his shirt while Dongwoo and Sungyeol insist on bickering about things they’ll never see again. Like Ferraris.

“You’re good with her,” Sungyeol says when Dongwoo’s second round of medication kicks in and he’s drooling into his pillow, fast asleep. He moves to take Jiyeon from Sunggyu’s capable arms and it kind of feels like she’s being stolen from him.

Instead of admitting how much the toddler means to him already, Sunggyu tells Sungyeol, “Thanks for being cool to Dongwoo while he’s in here. Really. Thanks.”

Sungyeol arcs an eyebrow. “Thanks for being a decent human being?”

“Look around,” Sunggyu says, gesturing in general, “there aren’t a whole lot of decent human beings left. And the fact that you’ve got your plate for with Jiyeon, but you still made time to be friends with Dongwoo, that says something.”

Sungyeol says plainly, “He means a lot to you?”

The words flow freely and quickly, “I guess he’s family now.”

“Must be nice to have that.”

Jiyeon stirs and little in Sungyeol’s arms, blinking wide, brown eyes out at the world, and Sunggyu feels offended enough on her part to say, “You act like you’re not holding your sister in your arms. You and I are so incredibly lucky to have family here. We’re in the very obvious minority. Most of the people on this ship, and the others, will never see anyone they’re related to ever again. We managed to hold onto something so impossible we should always be aware of it. And appreciate it.”

Sungyeol looks down at Jiyeon, bouncing her a little before she even starts to fuss. He lays his chin over the top of her head, closes his eyes, and confesses to Sunggyu, “I’m just so angry.”

Angry Sunggyu understands. For as much as there is to be sad about, there’s just as much to be angry over.

But then Sungyeol stuns him by saying, “I’m so damn mad at her.” He clarifies a second later, “My mom. Because we could be together right now. It could be all of us here. I’m so angry.”

Sunggyu doesn’t know why he does it, maybe because human apathy is about the only thing he has left to give, but he reaches out and tugs Sungyeol into a hug. Jiyeon rests comfortably between them and Sunggyu says, “It’s okay to be angry, you know?”

“She went back for him,” Sungyeo bites out. “We actually got warning to evacuate to the coastline in time to get there, but she went back for him.”

“Him?”

Sungyeol continues on, “She put Jiyeon in my arms and told me I had to go, and she went back for that no good bastard.”

The story comes out a little more after that, bit by bit, piece by piece. Sunggyu doesn’t judge Sungyeol for his anger, or even his mother for trying to save her cheating ex-husband. Judgment and blame are the kinds of things the new world doesn’t have room for.

“Where are the two of you staying?” Sunggyu asks when the cadet who brought him, arrives to take him back. There’s no point in trying to ask for more time, and Sunggyu has already learned to pick his battles carefully.

Sungyeol gives a nod in the direction over Sunggyu’s left shoulder. “They put Jiyeon and I in one of the officer’s cabin on this level. I guess someone felt sorry for us, because we don’t have to share. Or maybe no one wanted to share with a baby at all. I think Jiyeon is the only one here.”

Sunggyu nods. “I’ve seen a few kids, just a few, but Jiyeon is the only toddler or baby I’ve seen.”

Hooking a comfortable hand under Jiyeon’s bottom, Sungyeol hoists her a little higher and shrugs at Sunggyu. “It’s okay. We don’t mind. And Jiyeon likes the extra room to roam around. She just started walking. I think we’re F14.”

Sunggyu says, “Okay. I’ll swing by first chance I get. I have it on good authority, my brother’s, that the Captain is going to allow small groups of people some more freedom on the ship. As long as you and I stay in line, and don’t cause any trouble, I don’t see why we can’t enjoy that privilege.”

A hard, odd look sets on Sungyeol’s face, and Jiyeol fusses in his arms. She must be uncomfortable with her fever, and the lack of medication that is safe for someone in her range. Sunggyu doesn’t know if there’s anything on the ship at all that she can have.

“What?” Sunggyu asks, reaching out to let his fingers brush Jiyeol’s soft hair. He tells her, “You’ll be okay, Ji.”

“Why?” Sungyeol asks.

Sunggyu sets a hard look on the cadet standing nearby, looking impatient. Then he turns back to Sungyeol and says, “Why what?”

“Why do you want to visit?”

Sunggyu hears what’s implied right away, and responds, “You’re friends with Dongwoo, right? You’ve been keeping him company, treating him kindly, and keeping him occupied when he gets bored. You’re friends. And Dongwoo is my friend, too. He’s important to me. So by process of logic, Sungyeol, I think that means we should be friends.”

He doesn’t know where his bravery comes from in all but demanding Sungyeol be his friend. Neither does he really understand the feeling in desperately wanting to keep Sungyeol and Jiyeol to his side, much like Dongwoo. Like they’re supposed to be with him.

Maybe it comes down to the fact that they need each other. They’re living in a new world now, with new rules and a new, ruthless way of surviving. They’re stronger together. Sungyyu can use Sungyeol to watch his back, and Sungyeol can use him to help with Jiyeol. It won’t be easy to keep Jiyeol alive and safe now.

“But,” Sungyeol says, but doesn’t continue.

“Think about your sister,” Sunggyu says quietly, letting his fingers brush Jiyeol’s hair once more. “You’re going to want people you trust watching out for her when you have to look away for a few seconds.”

“And you think that I trust you?”

“No,” Sunggyu says honestly. “But Dongwoo and I are keeping each other safe, or as safe as we can, and that gets easier with the more people who are looking out. If you want to take a chance on us, and be friends, we’ll help you in any way we can. Or you can choose to go it alone. You can take that risk, Sungyeol. It’s your right.”

Sunyeol doesn’t respond, but the cadet clears his throat.

With a sight, Sunggyu gives him a tightly pulled smile. “Dongwoo and I are in B32. You want to be our friend, you can find us there. Think about it. And also think about what kind of a world we’re living in right now. I don’t think a lot of people are going to be lining up to be friends with each other, not the kind that don’t turn on each other in the end. I think what I’m offering is something decent. And I like you. That counts for something. I look at you and I see a good person. Not a lot of those left around.”

Sunggyu goes to move past him as Sungyeol mumbles, “I’ll think about it. I promise.”

Sunggyu adds, “Take good care of your girl. No matter what you choose. This is not a safe world.”

Sunggyu moves past him swiftly, heading for the small door that leads out of the infirmary. Like all the other doors on the ship it is small, and meant to be easily sealed off in case of an emergency. Sunggyu has one leg over the raised floor, and is ducking through the doorway at the exact same time someone is coming in.

Sunggyu bounces off something very broad and very solid, and it knocks him off his feet immediately. He’s careening down to the hard, metal ground a second later, hands out ot brace for impact.

Only he doesn’t hit. A strong arm hooks around his waist and pulls him up until he can get his feet under him.

Sunggyu’s eyes widen as he struggles to regain his equilibrium. He’s mostly gotten used to the subtle sway of the ship under him, and the vibrations of the engines, but he still has moments of uneasiness, where he thinks the ship will never feel solid enough under him.

“Are you okay?”

The voice as Sunggyu freezing. Or not so much the voice, as who the voice belongs to.

Because it’s him. It’s the boy. It’s the handsome boy that Sunggyu spotted days ago, and that he has been desperately looking for ever since. And now the boy is in front of him, touching him--in fact his hands are still anchored at Sunggyu’s waist.

Self-consciously Sunggyu tries to wiggle away, aware of how close they are now, and how he can smell the handsome boy’s aftershave.

“Are you okay?” the boy asks again, his eyebrows high and concerned. He holds Sunggyu tightly, unwilling to let go of him, something of awe on his face.

“I’m okay,” Sunggyu finally manages, his feet solidly underneath him. “You …” He doesn’t know what to say now.

Neither does the other boy speak again. Instead they simply stand there, Sunggyu trying not to fidget, and the handsome boy smiling almost stupidly now. His grin is bight and wide and there’s such fondness in his eyes that Sunggyu doesn’t know how to react to him.

“Are you okay?”

Sunggyu frowns. “You already asked me that. And I answered. I’m fine.”

The boy forces a laugh and shakes his head, finally letting go of Sunggyu. “Oh. Sorry!”

Sunggyu thinks this boy is even more handsome up close. He has a small face, but it’s kind, and he’s the perfect height for Sunggyu to look him straight in the eyes. Dark hair sweeps across this boy’s forehead and Sunggyu wants to push it back, he doesn’t trust his own fingers not to.

“I … I’ll be going, then,” Sunggyu says, because he can’t breathe. He can’t breathe in this handsome boy’s presence like he’s some thirteen year old girl swooning desperately over some guy on a musical program on TV.

Only this doesn’t feel like a simple crush. This doesn’t feel like Sunggyu just saw a pretty face and doesn’t know how to deal with it.

He feels some sort of connection with this boy he’s never met before. He feels like there’s something important about him, that he needs to know. He feels pulled to the boy like he never has to anyone else before. Like it’s the most important thing in the world, and it will not be denied.

So naturally his first instinct is to run. He wants to get away so he can think about what he’s feeling properly, and figure out a way to deal with it. Or repress it. Whichever is more convenient.

Sunggyu isn’t quite strong enough for this just yet.

“Wait!” The handsome boy lunges forward so fast that Sunggyu almost jumps in place.

Sunggyu his head and says, “I only have permission to be out of my assigned quarters for a short amount of time. I’m probably over my time right now.”

To the side, the cadet makes a noise that tells Sunggyu that he’s right.

The handsome boy seems to fumble over himself for a moment, almost awkwardly, before he asks Sunggyu, “What’s your name?”

It’s the focused interest that Sunggyu sees on the boy’s face that really gets him. This is how people who mean a lot to each other look, there’s no mistaking it.

“Sir,” the cadet says, a hand going to Sunggyu’s elbow. “I have to ask you to keep moving.”

Sunggyu moves to respond, to tell the cadet that he’s sorry for holding him up. But the handsome boy cuts in suddenly, and in a harsh voice he says, “How about you show some consideration for other people? Not everyone is a mindless drone like you are.”

The cadet, who’s probably around Yunho’s age, but still very young, pales, and looks almost horrified at the words.

Something angry sparks in Sunggyu and he snaps at the boy, “How about you show some respect for other people? He’s only doing his job, and it’s people like him, doing their job, that’s kept us all alive thus far. And even if you don’t agree he still deserves your respect.”

The handsome boy gapes at Sunggyu, a look of horror on his face.

“Is it a problem with the military you have?” Sunggyu asks, feeling himself get worked up.

“Wait,” the boy protests.

Sunggyu charges ahead, “You have the right to your opinion. But don’t degrade others because of their choices and their opinions. Some people serve their mandatory time and thrive. Some choose to make a career of it. There is nothing wrong with that and I won’t stand here and listen to you say these things. If you really feel this way, keep it to yourself.”

All he can think about is Yunho, who before all this, was flourishing in a military environment. Yunho is the type to take to a strong command structure, and see it as a challenge. Yunho values things like teamwork and loyalty and all the things that the military strives to stand for.

Suddenly this isn’t just the handsome boy saying rude things about a cadet that Sunggyu doesn’t know or have any affiliation with, but Yunho. What if this boy has said things like this to Yunho?

Sunggyu turns sharply to the cadet, ignoring the way the beautiful boy is stammering, and says, “Can you please take me back to my assigned quarters. I want to leave now.”

“I’m sorry,” the boy calls out, but Sunggyu ignores him, taking off as quickly as possible after the cadet who’s already weaving the narrow hallways.

They say nothing to each other as they walk. It’s for the best. Sunggyu needs the time to cool down, and to get over the fact that the handsome boy is still attractive, but suddenly less appealing.

Maybe this is what Sunggyu gets for thinking with the wrong head.

“Thank you,” Sunggyu tells the cadet when he reaches his quarters. He doesn’t expect a reply of any kind as he pushed open the door to the room that feels so cold and empty now.

Therefore it’s a surprise when the cadet says from behind him, “You didn’t have to defend me like that. But thank you.”

Sunggyu frowns. “You don’t need to thank me for doing the right thing.”

The cadet eyes him. “If people did the right thing all the time, or with any kind of regularity, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he says, then adds, “you didn’t choose your mandatory military service, but plenty of others choose to stay on afterwards. Before this happened, whatever this is, I think my brother would have chosen to make a career of it. He really loves being in the military.”

The cadet gives a firm nod. “Your brother is very popular. Everyone really likes him.”

Sunggyu peers at the cadet a little suspiciously. “You know my brother, cadet?”

The cadet nods, and when he smiles, genuinely smiles, he looks even younger than he must be. He tells Sunggyu, “When I was first assigned to the ship, I was very nervous. Your brother was kind to me, just like he’s kind to others. He can be firm, too, and he expects a lot, but he treats us with respect and everyone loves him for it.”

“Yunho is an exceptional person,” Sunggyu admits.

“I volunteered to look out for you,” the cadet reveals. “Today and for as long as the captain requires all civilians to have an to go places in the ship. Your brother looked out for me, so I want to look out for you. If you need anything, I’ll see what I can do for you.”

Sunggyu reads the nametag on the cadet’s shirt. Cadet Lee?”

The cadet bounces a little, grinning wide. “Lee Seunghyun, but all my friends call me Seungri. You can call me that too, if you want. As long as your brother isn’t around. He’s a total stickler for rules.”

Sunggyu gives him a respectful bow in appreciation, pleased to have yet another person to be friendly with.

“I will, Seungri. Do you know when--”

Something heavy thuds so harshly above them that Sunggyu ducks instinctively. Even the cadet flinches, but he doesn’t seem too worried, so Sunggyu doesn’t let himself, either.

“What was that?” Sunggyu asks. It’s nothing like the hellicopters that stopped coming days ago. This sounds much bigger, and the ships still seems to be creaking, though they haven’t slowed down in the least bit.

The cadet, Seungri nods for Sunggyu to move further into the cabin, and they close the heavy door behind them before anyone says another word.

“Can I trust you to keep quiet if I tell you what that was?”

Sunggyu arches an eyebrow. “I know that if I make trouble, or get into any kind of trouble, it’ll mean the same for Yunho. I would never risk that.”

Seungri points up, to where the sound came from. “That’s a tanker. It’s a type of helicopter we’re not designed to take the weight load of. It’s bringing us much needed fuel. We’re not going to make it to our destination with some extra fuel.”

Japan, Sunggyu remembers. They’re supposed to be going to Japan, likely to take refuge on an island or two that haven’t been hit by the infected yet. Sunggyu doesn’t know if he believes this still, or if it’s in the least bit realistic, but it’s their goal.

“Who has fuel for us?” Sunggyu questions. “The Japanese?”

Seungri rolls his eyes. “The Japanese said they’d take in the civilian population if we got there, not that they’d help us along the way. No, Captain Nam brokered a deal between the Taiwanese government and the Japanese. The Taiwanese have some resources that we desperately need, and they want a safe place to evacuate what’s left of their people. We’ve been delayed reaching Japan as of this morning to rendezvous with what’s left of Taiwan. Some of their military, the little that they have, will go back to Taiwan to try and search for more survivors, and once we have the extra fuel they’re delivering us, and supplies, we’ll start taking all the survivors we can onto the ships that can support them.”

“Here?” Sunggyu asks. This ship isn’t the biggest of the South Korean fleet, and it already seems at capacity. Of course there’s no telling how many people have been tossed overboard for inciting the riot.

“No.” Seungri shakes his head. “We’re almost completely full, and with the recent civilian issues, Captain Nam doesn’t want to take the risk at any rampant nationalism rearing its head.”

Sunggyu questioned, “The world just ended in what some are calling a zombie apocalypse, and you think that people will discriminate against others based on where they’re from? Don’t you think people will be able to look past that, in the face of our race’s extinction?”

“No,” Seungri says bluntly. “Not really. Or the Captain won’t risk it. The point is, we’re not taking on anything but fuel and supplies that will be accounted for before distributed to the other ships. The Taiwanese survivors will be going to any of the other ships that have room. Most of them have room. A lot of them are at less than a third capacity. We’ll probably be able to take on all the survivors, and still have room.”

At the very least, Sunggyu supposes this is good. They’re consolidating more of humanities survivors, and they won’t starve. Because what good is being safe on the ocean, if they starve in the process.

Sunggyu hasn’t asked Yunho, mostly because he’s afraid to know the answer, but he has noticed that two meals a day is awfully small. Especially for fully grown men who run this ship. And Sunggyu knows Yunho who is an officer isn’t eating any better. They must be running low on things like food. This partnership with Taiwan seems a miracle.

Sunggyu hesitates, then asks, “Did anyone you know survive? I have Yunho and that makes me very lucky, but what about you?”

“My parents are probably dead,” Seungri admits, shoulders boxed in a tense way. “And I don’t have any siblings. But there are people I’m close with, people who are in the military. People I consider brothers. Youngbae is serving on this ship, and Jiyoung is on another in the fleet. Two others are in the army, but they’re the strongest people I know. If anyone could have survived, it was them. They’re my family, and in that regard, I’m lucky.”

Sunggyu sits on the edge of Yunho’s bunk and says, “I guess we’re both lucky, then. We’re alive, and so are people we care about. We’re leaps and bounds ahead of others.”

Seungri gives him a deep bow, another fond smile, and then says, “I’ve got to get back to my duties. I’ve probably been away for too long already.”

Quickly, before he goes, Sunggyu says, “Dongwoo told me that he’s being released from the infirmary tomorrow. I’m sure he could get here fine on his own, but I really want to be there for him. I want to walk him back. I guess you could say he’s my responsibility. Do you think you could take me there tomorrow.”

Seungri, who seems to have a lot of personality hidden underneath the surface, gives Sunggyu a big thumbs up.

With a chuckle, Sunggyu admits, “I’m almost glad that guy insulted you. I don’t know if we would have said more than three words to each other otherwise.”

“Probably not,” Seungri admits. “But you probably shouldn’t go making trouble with him.”

Sunggyu is not afraid. And he says, “I understand we’re living in a new world, where people think they can be even more callous than before, but there are some things I won’t stand for. Plus, I’m not making trouble. I’m just voicing an opinion. If that boy gets to voice an opinion, so do I.”

“But his opinion probably counts more than yours.”

Sunggyu cuts Seungri a look. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

The look that Seungri gives Sunggyu crawls under his skin immediately.

“Because,” Seungri says slowly, “they may not get along, but he has the captain’s ear.”

“I don’t understand.”

This boy who’s impossibly good looking but has the personality of turpentine has the captain’s ear? This makes no sense and eats as Sunggyu.

“You really don’t know who he is?” Seungri asks, a little bit of mirth hidden in his words. “Are you telling the truth.”

Frustrated, Sunggyu huffs out, “Of course I’d know who he is. I mean, I saw him during the first day, and then again on the ship, right before the riot, but that’s it. I don’t know who he is. Should I?”

Sunggyu is actually a little worried now.

“That boy,” Seungri tells him, “the one that you said was disrespectful, and who should keep his opinions to himself, is Nam Woohyun. He and the captain are a little estranged right now, but they’re father and son. That’s the captain’s son.”

Sunggyu freezes, eyes widening so much that they almost ache.

He feels like an idiot. He feels his stomach actually drop with his stupidity.

Of course this handsome boy is the captain’s son. Of course he’s someone that Sunggyu has to insult, especially after promising Yunho that he will keep out of trouble and not do anything to compromise either of their position on the ship. Only Sunggyu can have this kind of luck. Only Sunggyu can royally destroy the best situation possible.

“The captain’s son,” Sunggyu eases out.

Seungri rocks back on his feet a little. “Yep.”

Sunggyu rests his elbows on his knees and drops his head. “,” he says, because there is nothing else he can possible say that will encapsulate what he’s feeling more than this word.

“Are you okay?” Seungri asks.

Except, maybe, “.”