Land

What Are You Waiting For (take a bite of my heart tonight)

The next few hours, in Sunggyu’s opinion, are a complete mess.

They’re obviously the first ferry in from their ship, but they aren’t the first from others. The sun has only been up for around twenty minutes, but the triage area is flooded with civilians, some speaking Japanese, some speaking Korean, others speaking Taiwanese. And there are a couple of foreigners from further away. Sunggyu is certain he hears English, Mandarin and Cantonese.

Sunggyu clings as tightly to Woohyun’s hand as possible, maybe cutting off a bit of his circulation. Woohyun says nothing, but he’s also linked to Dongwoo, and Dongwoo to Sungjong. When Sunggyu reaches out with his free hand for Sungyeol, they make an impenetrable chain to navigate the area.

Just like Yunho said, there are medical tests. They all end up ushered into a less crammed area, guided by a Japanese soldier who speaks almost flawless Korean, where a half dozen doctors are set up in a building that looks like it used to store fishing cargo. It smells like fish, rotten fish in reality, but there’s also an underlying scent of bleach and everything looks clean.

The doctor that Sunggyu sees takes three vials of blood, and asks him around a hundred questions. The doctor is Japanese, and Sunggyu doesn’t understand a word, but there’s a young woman with a kind face who does the translating for them, and she’s encouraging more than anything else.

It’s almost eight in the morning when all the medical tests are done. Sunggyu’s received a full physical, been told he’s in perfect health, and is cleared to the residential area. He’s dressed in white scrubs and has a brand new ID badge hanging from his neck by a blue chord.

He’s escorted to a waiting area, mostly empty at the time, and sits in a beige chair. He waits.

“Sunggyu!”

After him, Dongwoo is the first through medical. He catches Sunggyu in a bone crushing hug and says, “Did I even mention how much I hate doctors?” He holds his arm where a bandage is, indicating the sight where blood was taken, and looks offended.

“Considering they’re making sure we’re not sick with anything that could risk the safety of this island,” Sunggyu points out, “you should be thankful.”

There are more than a few windows in the room, but they’re all up high. They’re teasing Sunggyu, who wants nothing more than to look out to the ocean and see Yunho’s ship one more time.

“What is this place?” Dongwoo asks, pacing in front of Sunggyu. “What are we doing here? I’m bored.”

Sunggyu supposes its different for Dongwoo. He’s had well over a week to cope with the loss of everyone he loves. He’s not being separated from anyone who’s still breathing and has a blood tie to him. Dongwoo doesn’t have a Yunho, who can’t be with him for various reasons.

“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu cuts out.

Sunggyu feels the air pushed from his lungs without warning as a heavy weight barrels into him. His arms close around the warm figure that is most certainly Sungjong by the height, and in the distance Sunggyu can see the kid’s father watching them. It’s the most interest he’s probably shown in his son in a while.

Sungjong babbles at him about the doctors taking his blood, being forced to change into scrubs, the separation from Hoya, and a million other things. Sunggyu thinks he just needs to let it all out, so he rubs Sungjong’s back and waits patiently.

“What’s going to happen next?” Sungjong asks, after his tears are dried. He sits on the chair next to Sunggyu and uses him as a crutch.

Woohyun, much to Sunggyu’s relief, is the next to show. When Sunggyu can see that he’s safe and sound, he feels better telling Sungjong, “We just have to wait for the others, and then I think they’re going to take us to where we’re going to live. At least for a while. Do you want to go with your dad then, or stay with us?”

They way Sungjong clings to him, with such fierceness and determination, gives Sunggyu his answer right away.

They have to wait for at least another hour before Sungyeol is cleared through medical, a screaming, twisting baby in hand.

“Jiyeon’s running a fever,” Sungyeol tells Sungyu with obvious concern. “They ran extra tests because of that. I tried to tell them it’s just because she’s so worked up. It doesn’t mean she’s sick, but what do I know? I’m just her brother. I’m just the guy who’s been taking care of her since she was born.”

The slip from Sungyeol is not something Sunggyu thinks is coming. And Sungyeol seems to realize what he’s said a split second later as embarrassment flushes his face.

“Let me try and calm her down,” Sunggyu says, taking Jiyeon into his arms. He sooths her the best he can, letting her pull his hair, mouth at his clothes and cry all her tears out.

Quietly, so its kept between the two of them, Sungyeol says, “My mom didn’t want another baby after me. Not really. She just thought it would make my dad stay with her, or maybe stop cheating. And when that didn’t happen, I inherited a baby.”

Before Sunggyu can say anything back, not that he really knows what he’s going to say, Sungjong cuts in, asking, “Why’s Jiyeon so angry?”

Sungyeol manages a smile for Sungjong. “Babies can sense the moods around them. They’re very astute. Jiyeon knows that we’re all anxious and worried and uncertain, and she’s reflecting that. Plus, she had an extra early morning breakfast, and she’s about ready for her first nap, but I’m afraid she won’t go down without a fight at this point.”

“I don’t know,” Dongwoo says, pointing at Sunggyu. “We have baby whisperer with us, apparently.”

“Don’t be jealous of my baby handling skills,” Sunggyu cuts out, secretly proud of himself for getting Jiyeon’s loud cries to turn into soft whimpers.

Woohyun announces loudly, “I think your baby handling skills are super hot.’

Sunggyu can only stare at him.

“I’m hungry,” Dongwoo complains, shattering tension.

“Well,” Sunggyu says, noticing several soldiers starting to trickle into the room, “we may actually be getting somewhere with all this waiting.”

After a few more moments the room quiets completely, and then Sunggyu and fifty other people are listening to a man with a thick Japanese accent, tell them in Korean that they’re about to board a bus that will take them to their new residences. They’re instructed to line up before filing out of the room, and Sunggyu almost turns to wait for Hoya before remembering that they’ve been separated.

The first chance Sunggyu gets, after he’s certain everyone from the ship has made it ashore, he’s going looking for Hoya. And he won’t stop until he finds him.

“Were do you think we’re going to live?” Woohyun asks as they shuffle along towards the exit of the room. Sometimes Sunggyu looks at him and he can hardly believe Woohyun is with him.

Sunggyu remembers Yunho saying something about the amount of tourist lodging that is available on the island. Sunggyu has no doubt in his mind that they’ll be staying in hotels, where it’s easy for the soldiers to keep an eye on them, and consolidate them all in one place.

They shuffle outside of the waiting area to see a shuttle bus waiting for them, and people ahead of them climbing on. There’s a second shuttle behind the first, and it seems more likely they’ll be on the second with the amount of people in their group.

“I don’t know,” Sunggyu tells Woohyun, more because he would like to drop the subject than anything else. It’s odd to him that the idea of living somewhere new is making him so uncomfortable. Yunho’s bunk was not his home, but it had certainly started to feel that way. Sunggyu would give anything to go back to it right now, all his friends in tow.

They miss the cutoff for the first bus by a couple of warm bodies, but its just as well. Sunggyu feels better knowing they’ll all be on the second.

“You want me to take her back?” Sungyeol asks when Sunggyu steps onto the shuttle, finding a seat quickly. Woohyun sits next to him with a comforting arm going around his shoulders.

Sungjong’s occupying the seat right behind Sunggyu, his face plastered to the window while Dongwoo leans up net to him, both of them complaining that they can’t see anything.

“I’ve got her,” Sunggyu promises, because Jiyeon looks seconds away from sleeping, and she needs her energy as much as they need the peace and quiet.

Sungyeol nods, almost relieved, and collapses into the seat in front of Sunggyu. He leans his head against the window, wilting before Sunggyu’s eyes.

“Is he okay?” Woohyun whispers to Sunggyu.

No one is paying them a bit of attention at the moment, so Sunggyu slides his fingers between Woohyun’s and simply shakes his head. Sunggyu doesn’t think for one second that Sungyeol and Myungsoo are in love. You can’t be in love with someone you’ve only known for a few days, but there are feelings between them, and it must be hard to lose the person you hope to love some day.

Sunggyu can relate, because he almost lost Woohyun.

The shuttle takes them far away from the port, and with them goes the last chance Sunggyu has to see the ship Yunho is on before it leaves. And the further they travel from the port, where more refugees are pouring in, the less populated the world around them becomes. They merge onto what seems to be a main highway and set off towards green hills in the distance. All around them is calm, the scenery flashing by in an instance, and Sunggyu feels a little dizzy from it all.

It takes forty minutes to get to their destination, but when they do, it almost seems worth the journey. Because secluded away from the rest of the island’s population, in a beach cove with only one road in and out, are dozens of vacation cabins scattered around. There are bigger buildings as well, likely tourist intended shops and places to eat, but what catches Sunggyu’s attention the most is that this is an extremely beautiful location, and were he on vacation here, it would be extremely expensive as well.

“This is where we’re staying?” Woohyun asks incredulously.

“I guess so.”

This is what it means to be a priority citizen. The reality of the situation is not lost on him, as they drive deeper into the resort area.

Sunggyu sees a military checkpoint approaching, and the handful of soldiers that are around, seem relaxed and unhurried.

“Listen up!” the solider on the shuttle says, standing awkwardly as they drive along. “There are fifty-four of you in this group, and a second group of sixty-three will be arriving later today. There are thirty cabins in the area, so you’ll go about four people to one residence. You have been assigned cabins randomly, but myself and the military presence here are not expected to act as your parents. Make the changes you want amicably between yourselves and keep the peace while you do it.”

Sunggyu feels anxiety build at the prospect to being separated from his friends again.

The soldier continues, “This is your designated area. You are free to move about the area in whatever way you so choose as long as it doesn’t cause a disturbance. However, if you want to leave the area, you will require a day pass. You can apply for a day pass twenty-four hours in advance at the checkpoint we just passed through.”

Suddenly, Dongwoo calls out, “What about food?”

Sunggyu rolls his eyes, but the solider replies, “We will operate here on a ration system. Ration cards will be distributed at the beginning of every week. What you do with them is your business, but you will not be fed without them.”

Sunggyu finds his voice then, asking next, “What about the others who came with us?” He means Hoya, of course, but the others as well. This area isn’t nearly big enough to accommodate everyone. Where will Hoya and the others be staying?

“There are designated areas all over this island,” the solider says carefully … too carefully in Sunggyu’s opinion. “Anyone not in this group had been assigned to one of those.”

Questions seem on hold for the moment as the shuttle slows, and then they’re being told to collect their personal items and prepare for room assignments.

“This ,” Woohyun says, holding Sunggyu’s bag along with his own while he climbs down the bus stairs with Jiyeon. “Why can’t we pick our own rooms?”

Sungyeol says, right behind them, “We’ll get it sorted out. I’m not sleeping with people I don’t trust. And I won’t risk Jiyeon with strangers.”

Sunggyu is assigned to cabin seventeen, which seems to be identical to all the other cabins. There are two bedrooms, a small living area, a decent sized kitchen space, and one bathroom. Assigned to the cabin with him are three young men he’s never seen before, not even on the ship, not that he’s surprised with the amount of people who were on the ship.

“Don’t look so enthusiastic,” one of the boys tells Sunggyu sarcastically once they get through the doors. Sunggyu’s arms are still a little sore from holding Jiyeon for so long.

“Sorry,” Sunggyu says, then introduces himself.

The other boy holds his hand out and says, “Youngguk, and that antisocial guy over there is my brother, Youngnam.”

Sunggyu blinks suddenly. “Twins.” He’s really looking at the other people in the cabin for the first time. The two boys really are twins, and the other person in their group has wandered off towards the kitchen, apparently wanting no part of the introductions.

“Twins,” Yongguk confirms. “And I read the ID badge on that other guy. His name is Himchan. He seems like a ray of sunshine.”

Sunggyu looks towards the two bedrooms and says, “I guess you’ll want to share with your brother?”

Before Yongguk can answer, the door to cabin seventeen bangs open and Woohyun bursts inside. He has Sunggyu’s hand in his own seconds later, not bothering to explain anything, and then he’s pulling Sunggyu from the cabin.

“What’s wrong?” Sunggyu demands.

Woohyun laughs over his shoulder, then tugs Sunggyu close enough to give him a side hug as they run. It’s awkward and uncomfortable for Sunggyu, but it’s also reassuring. It means nothing significant is wrong at least.

“Dongwoo and Sungyeol got lucky enough to be in cabin twenty together,” Woohyun says, and Sunggyu can only imagine Woohyun is pulling him in that direction. “And I guess Jiyeon counts as one of their four, too. I did some fast talking and got that fourth spot freed up. So it might be a tight squeeze, but I think all of us can fit in the cabin now.”

Sunggyu hears himself saying, “But it’s supposed to be four to cabin.” Though mathematically he knows there are at least a couple cabins with five.

“And we’re also supposed to parent ourselves, remember? They don’t care what we do, as long as we don’t make trouble. Now come on.”

It’s the first bit of luck Sunggyu has had since the world decided to end, so he decides to juts accept it. Six people to one cabin, seven if they count Jiyeon, is going to be a tight fit, but it’s a better option than all of them being separated.

“Sunggyu!” Dongwoo says happily the second he and Woohyun are through the door to cabin twenty. “Hey, everyone, Woohyun got Sunggyu!”

“Shut it!” Sungyeol snaps sharply, coming around the corner from one of the bedrooms. “Use your brain, Dongwoo. Jiyeon’s asleep!”

Dongwoo ducks his head bashfully and Sunggyu offers him a small wave.

Sungyeol moves to Sunggyu’s side and says, “Sungjong’s taking a nap in the other room. He’s pretty wiped out, and he’s still just a kid. We haven’t worked out who’s going to sleep where, either. There’s only one bed in each room, at least in this cabin, but they’re queen sized, so they should sleep two easily.”

“We’ll figure it out,” Sunggyu assures, and puts it on the list right after finding Hoya and finding some key items for Jiyeon.

“Hey,” Woohyun says, catching Sunggyu’s attention. “Dongwoo’s been checking out the kitchen. There’s quite a bit of food, like canned goods and non-perishables, stocked. It’ll go fast with all of us, but until we get started with those ration cards, it’ll feed us. You hungry?”

“I haven’t eaten today,” Sunggyu says, realizing it for the first time. “I’m starved.”

Sungyeol asks, “Does anyone know how to cook?”

There are blank faces all around and Sungyeol sighs. Without a word he heads to the kitchen himself to take stock of all the pots and pans they have.

Part of Sunggyu can’t believe how good they’re really living right now. They’re relatively safe, and aside from Hoya, they’re together. A quick check of the cabin proves they not only have electricity, but also running water. The cabin’s still fully stocked of amenities from the height of its tourist season, including toilet paper, extra towels, miniature soaps and shampoos, and other items.

“There’s a TV,” Dongwoo says, reaching for the power button on the nearby remote. But Sunggyu can see his hopes fall immediately when there’s no signal.

“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu says softly, “there’s no one left to keep the signal going.” They should be thankful enough they have electricity. The island must have its own independent source.

“It’s fine,” Dongwoo assures, and truthfully he doesn’t look too broken up about it.

While Sungyeol makes them something to eat, and Jiyeon and Sngjong nap, Dongwoo heads out to gather information. Sunggyu reminds him to ask about Hoya, but lets him go otherwise. Dongwoo’s the type that struggles with being cooped up. Sunggyu sends Woohyun with him, immediately implementing the buddy system.

Meanwhile, Sunggyu discovers that there are clothes in the closets, jackets and pants and shirts, some of them their sizes, and extra pairs of shoes that they desperately need. There’s also, located in the living room, a couple of magazines on the tourist attractions the island has to offer.

“Sungyeol,” Sunggyu says, wandering into the kitchen with a magazine out in front of him. Sunyeol’s at the rice cooker, and by the smells coming from the kitchen, the food must almost be done. “Did you know there’s a second island neighboring us?”

Sungyeol hums, “I saw it from the ship. It’s much smaller, though. I don’t think anyone lives on it.”

Sunggyu admits, “This magazine is actually really fascinating. I never knew this was such a hot tourist spot with the Japanese.”

“Apparently.”

“And,” Sunggyu presses, “there are black sandy beaches, because this is a volcanic island. I guess that’s not really a comforting thought.”

Dully, Sungyeol says, “The world is currently being overrun with zombies, and you’re worried about that?”

Slowly Sunggyu closes the magazine. “Sungyeol. Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Sungyeol responds right away, but his voice is tight. “I’m just … thinking.”

“About Myungsoo?”

Slowly Sungyeol nods. “About Myungsoo.”

Sunggyu puts the magazine to the side and leans against a nearby countertop. “Then I think now is the time for us to have that talk about your sudden marriage, before anyone wakes up, or Dongwoo and Woohyun come back.”

“I did promise you.”

“So spill.” Sunggyu crosses his arms. “Why did you and Myungsoo get married?”

“You already know why,” Sungyeol says, pointing at the nearby cabinet. “Get the dishes out. This kitchen isn’t fully stocked, but it’s got enough for us right now. We need bowls for the rice.”

As Sunggyu is reaching up for the high dishes, he says, “I know you got married because you learned that the only way to get on the priority list of civilians was to be of significant importance, like Sungjong’s father, or be family to someone on the ship. But how did it all happen?”

“Myungsoo and I were walking back to his cabin last night … god, was it last night? It feels like an eternity ago.” Sungyeol drifts for a moment like Sunggyu has found himself doing from time to time, then continues, “We just happen to run into a friend of his who was compiling the priority list for the next day. Myungsoo found out then, and he said it would be bad if Jiyeon and I weren’t on the priority list.”

“Bad,” Sunggyu muses, “I don’t like that.”

“Me either,” Sungyeol agrees. “I asked him what he meant when he said that, but he wouldn’t elaborate. Then he asked me if I would do anything to protect Jiyeon. When I said yes, he took me straight to the captain and asked him to marry us. The captain is the only one legally able to officiate a wedding on the water.”

“What,” Sunggyu says, cynicism lacing his voice, “he didn’t get down on bended knee.”

“Hardly,” Sungyeol snaps. He pops the lid off the rice cooker and waves a hand through the emerging steam. “But he was kind of … romantic about it, I guess. He said that he knew we’d only known each other a short time, and we hadn’t even decided to be official yet, but that he had real and true feelings for me, and that he wanted to protect me. He asked me to trust him, he said he would only ever do what was in my best interest, and because I believed him, we got married.”

“That’s just crazy,” Sunggyu remarks, shaking his head. “You’re married.”

“No ring.” Sunggyeo wiggles his finger. “But I have it on good authority that my husband will have one for me the next time we meet. Sunggyu, Myungsoo promised to come for me, and for Jiyeon, and I believe him on that, too.”

The words remind Sunggyu right away of the promises Yunho made.

There’s a tiny nook attached to the kitchen, with a table that seats four, so Sunggyu still doesn’t know how they’re going to work out getting everyone to the table, but he sets out six places and tells Sungyeol, “Does it feel weird to say that? To say you have a husband?”

Sungyeol laughs. “Not as odd as you’d think. Of course I also didn’t think I’d be getting married this young.”

As Sunggyu is putting the last bowl on the table he pauses, looking to Sungyeol. Really looking. Because Sunggyu knows he and Dongwoo are the same age, seventeen, and Woohyun is sixteen. Sungjon is twelve, Hoya is eighteen, and Myungsoo is twenty. But Sunggyu has never heard how old Sungyeol is, and it’s impossible to tell just by looking at him.

“How old are you, exactly?”

The first red flag is how long Sungyeol pauses.

“Sungyeol?”

“I may … be a little younger than the rest of you, excluding Sungjong and Jiyeon, of course.”

Sunggyu deadpans, “How much younger? Sungyeol, please tell me you’re legally old enough to marry Myungsoo.” If Sungyeol isn’t at least seventeen, Sunggyu may throw a fit.

Sungyeol lifts the rice pot and brings it to the table. He shrugs and says, “I don’t think it matters how old people are now. I mean, society is falling apart left and right. And for the record, I’m sixteen.”

“Sixteen,” Sunggyu breathes out, then squints at him. “Are you lying to me?”

Sungyeol winces.

“Oh, god.”

“I’ll be sixteen next week!” Sungjyeol nearly shouts, his voice carrying through the cabin. “I swear, Sunggyu. I’ll be sixteen next week, in six days actually.”

Sunggyu scrubs a hand across his forehead. “You’re fifteen, Sungyeol. You’re fifteen and you married someone twenty. Does Myungsoo know you’re fifteen.” Sunggyu feels a little sick actually. “I’m going to kill him if he touched you.”

Sungyeol smacks Sunggyu on the arm as he heads back to the stove. “One: you’re not my dad so I don’t need you to act like you’re obligated to protect my virtue. Two: said virtue is still intact. And if you really must know, Myungsoo doesn’t know how young I really am, but he’s never tried to do more than kiss me, and even that happened pretty infrequently. He’s overly cautious with me, to a frustrating point. And three: we’re living in the zombie apocalypse. If I find someone who makes me happy, whether we have a ual relationship at the moment or not, my age isn’t going to stop me from seizing that happiness. Any questions?”

Out the kitchen window Sunggyu can see Dongwoo and Woohyun bounding back up towards the cabin, and they aren’t empty handed.

“Fifteen?” Sunggyu asks one more time, because Sungyeol has been nothing but a mature adult this entire time. It’s almost scary to think someone can be as mature as Sungyeol is at fifteen. “Really?”

The cabin door opens and the look on Sungyeol face is almost pleading with Sunggyu not to say anything.

“Look what we have!” Dongwoo calls out, kicking the door shut behind him.

Jiyeon gives a loud shriek, indicating she’s awake, and there’s no way Sungjong’s slept through her cries.

Sunggyu won’t be surprised if Sungyeol cuts Dongwoo’s rice portion in half for waking his sister.

“What did you bring?” Sunggyu asks, not bothering to push him away as Woohyun drapes himself over Sunggyu’s back and quickly kisses the back of his neck.

“So there’s all these stores,” Dongwoo says excitedly, raising both arms to display all the bags he has. “And the Japanese guys don’t seem to give two s what we take. No one’s going crazy or anything, but it’s a total free for all. We hit the tourist shop.”

Woohyun makes sure everyone is paying attention, even waiting for Sungjong to stumble his way into the main room, rubbing his eyes, and Sungyeol to reappear with Jiyeon on his hip, before he overturns both of his bags.

Out spill all kinds of things, books, trinkets, hats, and countless little things to distract them from the reality of their lives. The items won’t last forever, but there are coloring books for Sungjong, sudoku puzzles for whoever’s interested, sunglasses and sunscreen to protect them outside, and so much else.

Dongwoo says, “You think that’s awesome? I hit the jackpot.”

Sungyeol looks like he may kiss Dongwoo when one of his bags turns out to be full of things for Jiyeon. Dongwoo’s brought her back countless new outfits, cloth diapers that are a million times more valuable than any disposable ones, toys that are safe for her to chew on, baby friendly bath soap and everything else that they’ve desperately been needing.

“You guys found all this in the short time you were gone?” Sungyeol asks, picking up a baby soft brush for Jiyeon’s thin hair.

Dongwoo bursts out, “We’re really lucky we went when we did. Those shops have to be completely bare now. We hit the tourist place, the baby shop, and the surf shop.”

Sunggyu an eyebrow. “Surf shop?”

Woohyun says, “It’s not like we just passed by a supermarket or anything. We tried to pick the places that we needed the most, and doubt us all you want, but the surf place was the best shop we raided.”

Dongwoo’s final bags are filled with things from that shop. He’s brought with him swim trunks and beach towels, shoes specifically designed to be worn in the water and even fishing supplies. Sunggyu recognizes the poles that are sticking out of the bag as collapsible fishing rods.

Woohyun drops his voice, wary of Sungjong, and slides a smaller bag towards Sunggyu, saying, “I guess when this place is in full boom there’s a huge demand for surfting, scuba diving, cliff jumping and other dangerous activities. The surf shop had this in it, too.”

“Oh, wow.” Sunggyu loses his mind for a second and despite the people around them, leans over to capture Woohyun’s lips in a sweet kiss. Because inside the bag are a few pocket knives, flare guns, and basic medical supplies that will be extremely hard to come by. Bandages and peroxide and burn cream may save lives.

“If this is the thanks I get for going out and scavenging for supplies,” Woohyun says a little breathlessly, “I’m going back out there right now.”

Sungyeol scoffs loudly. “You already said the stores are picked bare by now. And maybe people aren’t violent out there yet, but give them time. Order is only going to last for so long when people start to realize they’ve had a huge missed opportunity. I don’t want any of us going out there and risking our lives for anything that isn’t completely necessary.”

Sunggyu agrees right away, giving Woohyun a gentle push towards the bathroom. “You go wash your hands. You too, Dongwoo. We’re going to eat.”

Woohyun goes off without a word, but it’s Dongwoo who stops in front of Sunggyu, saying, “I tried to get any answers I could about Hoya and the others from the ship. Some of the soldiers only speak Japanese, and the ones that speak Korean, well, I get the feeling someone told them not to say anything to us. They were suspiciously tight lipped.”

“It’s okay.” Sunggyu pats him on the shoulder. “Just go wash up.”

It’s a little mind blowing to Sunggyu, watching all of them five minutes later enjoy their first meal of the day, that they aren’t just friends. No, what they have goes far past friendship. They’re family now, loyal to each other in ways only family can be. Sunggyu sees it from his position perched up on the countertop. His legs swing freely as he enjoys his rice and vegetables, watching the way his group interacts with each other. There’s no mistaking that they’re family, not with the ease in which talk, laugh and mourn together.

Sungyeol feels Jiyeon tiny pieces of dried beef, balancing her easily on his lap. Sunjong eats like the growing boy he is, and Dongwoo seems to be giving him a run of his money. It’s only Woohyun who looks to be taking his time, eating patiently in a way that says he’s very aware that he knows how limited their meals may be.

“You lonely over there by yourself?” Woohyun asks, meeting his gaze. “I told you, you can totally sit on my lap if you want.”

“We’ll work out a rotation schedule,” Sunggyu says. He’s content enough, really, to just be separate from the group and watch them.

The rest of the day they spend trying to make the cabin a real home. Sungyeol and Sunggyu lead the cleaning charge, airing out the rooms, dusting, and doing their best with the limited chemicals they have. Sungjong is a godsent, distracting Jiyeon with her new toys while they work.

Dongwoo goes back out to try for more answers, and when he comes home even more sullen than before, Sunggyu starts to realize how their new life will work.

Just before sundown, after they’ve eating some reheated leftovers, Woohyun whispers to Sunggyu, “I checked out the security on this place while you and Sungyeol were cleaning. I county thirty-five soldiers spread out in the area, most of them patrolling the perimeter, but a lot of them grouped up at the checkpoint. They seem to be living in the staff area. And Sunggyu, I hate to be the one to say it, but it looks like they’re just as interested at keeping us in, as they are at keeping anyone else out. We’re prisoners here.”

Sunggyu’s stomach clenches up tightly.

“I’m going to scout some more tomorrow,” Woohyun promises. “I want to see what kind of security measures they’ve put up, and how far we can push them. If this goes bad, I want to be able to get you and the others out fast.”

“Goes bad?” Sunggyu frowns deeply.

The look on Woohyun’s face is troubling as he replies, “Everything is fine for now. Don’t worry. But if anything changes, or if it isn’t safe for us here, we need to be prepared.”

Sunggyu can only give a solemn nod.

Just before eight, which is apparently designated as curfew for them all, a solider comes around to distribute their ration cards. He checks their names off his list, makes a note of how many of them are sharing the cabin, warns them once very sternly about not leaving their cabin after curfew, and then moves on to cabin twenty-one.

By the end of the night they’re all tired. Feet are dragging and Sunggyu personally can only think that Hoya is now somewhere on the island, probably scared and uncertain, and getting ready to sleep by himself for the night. It seems cruel and unfair and eats away at Sunggyu even as he climbs into bed.

In the pitch blackness of the first bedroom in the cabin, Woohyun rolls over and gathers Sunggyu into his arms. He pushes a leg in between Sunggyu’s and says, “I honestly didn’t think I’d get to sleep alone with you so quickly.” His chin rests on Sunggyu’s shoulder.

“I’ll kick you out of this bed the second you start to act like a ert,” Sunggyu warns. But ultimately the threat is pointless, because he needs Woohyun next to him as much as Woohyun needs him. And he’s going to lose Woohyun in four hours anyway, when Dongwoo’s turn is over to keep watch.

It’s almost a collective agreement between them that the three of them, Sungyeol is exempt because of Jiyeon, will split the night watch into two, four hour shifts. It isn’t that Sunggyu fears the soldiers will suddenly turn on them, or that infected will come streaming out the hills without warning, but he can’t shake the feeling of being trapped. And fear only continues to build in him that something isn’t quite right. Tonight Woohyun and Dongwoo are slated to keep watch, and tomorrow Sunggyu will rotate in.

“Okay,” Woohyun says, a smile in his voice. “I get it, no hanky panky while the kids are in the next room sleeping. But you could test a saint’s self control, Gyu.” Woohyun lets go of Sunggyu and turns to lay on his back, hands going behind his head.

Sunggyu breathes evenly for a few moments, then makes his decision quickly. He rolls onto his side, pushing himself up against Woohyun. Without warning he leans up for a deep kiss, his fingers down Woohyun’s bare chest. “We’re not dong anything with Dongwoo awake, and Sungyeol in the next room with Jiyeon and Sungjong. But that won’t always be the case. Understand?”

Woohyun’s arm come around Sunggyu, holding him still for another kiss, then they settle down.

Woohyun manages, “Message received loud and clear.”

Sunggyu can’t fight the smile that pulls at his mouth, and after a minute more, he doesn’t even try.