Chapter 1

The Simple kind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   The high school reunion was one week away.  She had gone back and forth trying to decide whether or not to attend but on this particular morning, after peering down with barely one eye open, she sheepishly peeked at the number on her bathroom scale.  It was obvious she would not make it to her self-imposed goal weight so twenty-eight year old Eunji Reynolds came to a decision.  Sweeping her long, dark brown hair into a ponytail, she sat down at the computer in her home office, stretched her slender hands onto the laptop keyboard and wriggled her painted fingertips as if preparing for a piano recital.  She would send an e-mail to the reunion coordinator, Park Chorong (aka: Gorgeous Chorong), explaining in her most convincing Marcia Brady style that “something” had “suddenly come up” and she would be unable to attend after all.  (Never mind the only thing that had gone up was her blood pressure at the thought of seeing ‘him’ again!)

 

            Off went the e-mail and … that was that. 

 

Or was it?  A tinge of regret instantly swept over Eunji after she hit the “SEND” key.  For ten years now she had wondered about the one guy she’d never been able to forget.  Had he married?  Was he happy?  She had to chuckle a little as she thought back to those days of yesteryear and the many (many!) times she had envisioned her best buddy, the schools’ star athlete, the one and only Suho Kim,  finally coming to the realization of what his “buddy” … Eunji … really meant to him!  She had always pictured the scene so vividly in her imagination:  It would be at the conclusion of the biggest high school game of the season (after Suho had, of course, scored the winning touchdown), amidst the cheering and applause from the crowd he would search the stands for her eyes alone!  Then, running to her as fast as he could " taking the bleacher steps two at a time if necessary " he would scoop her up in the tightest of bear hugs, reveal his true feelings and proclaim his love for her!  Then, following his big reveal, the two of them would make plans for their first official date " to which Eunji would wear the perfect pink sweater!

 

            Ahhh yes, Suho Kim.  Though Eunji thought of him throughout the years following high school, she always stopped to remind herself of that moment at their senior prom when any hopes of a bleacher pronouncement had been dashed!  Because Suho and Chorong had been crowned …

 

            Yep, she remembered it well " the popular king and queen of Marina Del Rey.  Shortly after the senior prom Suho and Chorong began dating " though Eunji always thought Suho had just succumbed to peer pressure.  After all, he and Chorong had been voted not only most likely to succeed but of all things " most likely to marry.  She had to admit " that one stung!

 

            After graduation, life moved Eunji and Suho " once such close friends " in very different directions.  Eunji had an opportunity to study abroad that fall during her first year in college and Suho was offered a scholarship playing football at a university out of state.  Though they tried to keep in touch, exchanging letters here and there, over time they simply lost track of one another as old high school friends often due.  Today, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter