Gerald 1

Because of You

 

I always sit in the back of the classroom, it makes it much easier to watch the girls. They easily distract me through the one hour lectures with their hair tossing, the pencils they swish around inside their mouths. Its looks like senior year is going to glide by, half the year has already past, and college is not so far in the distant future.

I am sitting in my usual spot, waiting for the handful of bombshells to waltz in with their short skirts, and tight little tanks, when she walks in. I have never seen her before, and she takes me by surprise. I sit straight up in my desk, as much as it will allow. My five-nine body isn’t design for high school desks, my knees touch if I don’t lounge forward.

I study her briefly as she sashays her way toward the back of the room. I can tell that she is definitely different from the average North Vista girl that I have grown accustom to. I have no clue who she is, which is weird because it’s already January and no one mentioned a new girl starting. When she sits down right in front of me, I have a hard time noticing how pretty she is. She has on jeans, and a matching black t-shirt.

When she lifts her hair and pulls it back into a band, I can’t help but notice that tattoo on the back of her neck. It’s small, but it’s the shape of a heart with a crooked line going through it. It reminds me of the necklaces girls wore when they were little; the hearts broken in two, that read bestfriend forever.

I want to talk to her, I need to know this girl’s name. I tap her quickly on the shoulder before I lose my nerve. There is just something to different about her. “Hey, I’m Gerald. You’re new here?” She turns. “Um, yeah, how did you guess?” Hmm. Not the response I was hoping for. “I haven’t seen you around before, that’s all.” I hear the door shut. I don’t look, but can hear Mrs. Lopez starting her lecture on the Spanish revolution. I ignore her. I wonder still. “And you’re name is?” She looks at me like I am either boring her, or bothering her. I can’t tell which, maybe both.

“It’s Kim. Anymore questions or do you think I can learn something today?” She says. She turns her back to me. “Fine, I was trying to be nice.” As she turns, I can’t help but notice how great she smells. A cross between strawberry and vanilla.