Kim 2

Because of You

 

I made it through the first few periods happily unnoticed. The only person that spoke to me was the heartthrob that sat behind me in World History, named Gerald. He seems sincere, but I didn’t plan to make any friends here. I just want to put all of this behind me and head off to college.

Great! Crowded cafeteria, crappy food, and preppy teenagers who think they’re God’s gift to this world. I’m a girl who likes to eat; I enjoy food so much, but this is gross. I have no other option, but the salad bar. I even have to admit as I look through the glass, it’s a sweet spread.

As I eat my rabbit food, I look across the cafeteria, to see that I haven’t gone completely unnoticed as I thought. I recognize him from class, Gerald is good looking in an obvious sort of way. Hot in fact, but as soon as I see the Barbie doll falling over him, he becomes exactly what I think he is. No good, and after the only thing that boys want. After the public display of affection, it seals the deal. I turn my attention back to my chickpeas and, ignore everyone.

Thankfully I make it through the day, and am looking forward to the feel of the warm air on my face. As I rummage through my locker, grabbing the hours of homework I need for the night, I can feel the warmth of someone’s breath on the back of my neck. Whoever it is, they are a little in comfortably close, and I was never shy, I turn. “Can I help you with something?” I ask. “How was your first day, Kim?” Gerald asks. I roll my eyes. “It was good, until now.” I snap. He frowns. “What the hell’s your problem?” “You, I’m not interested, so keep walking… try going back to Barbie.” I say, as I slam my locker. I can tell by the way his jaw drops, I have caught him off guard. He shrugs. “Fine. It was nice talking to you, too.” He swirls on his black chuck taylor and storms off.

 I couldn’t help but think about him, he was trying hard to be friends, too hard. When he spoke to me, his brown eyes penetrated right through me. I even feel slightly bad for being so rotten to him, but I can’t worry about his feelings right now. I have my own to protect.

I stare over my shoulder as he walks away. I can’t help but notice his body. The way he walks, his knapsacks slung over his shoulder, and surprisingly the music sheet hanging out from the back pocket of his jeans.