Chapter 9

Is It Okay Kai?

The school bell rang and everyone sighed in relief, closing their books, more than ready to go home. Kyungsoo was one of the first people out the door. He walked silently to the place where he met Kai near the fence that surrounded the school. Kyungsoo smiled to himself when he saw Kai approaching him.

"Bye guys, see you later!" Kai shouted back to his friends as he walked over to Kyungsoo. "Hey, do you want to go straight home?"

"No, I have something to do before I go home. You can head back first." Kyungsoo said, turning to walk out of the school yard. Kai scurried behind him to keep up.

"Can I come?"

Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks and turned to face Kai.

"I'm just going to pass by my house really quick. To pick up some clothes and stuff. I have a few important things over there that I need to grab. If my dad is home it will get really ugly, I don't want you to be a part of that."

"Well now that you said that there's no way I'm letting you go alone." Kai offered a lopsided smile.

Kyungsoo could feel a blush coming on at the attractiveness of Kai's smile. He turned and continued walking.

"Kai you sound like you want to superman or some kind of hero." Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder and Kai stuck out his tongue playfully. Kyungsoo giggled and realized that they were already at his house.

"Well, we're here." Kyungsoo was worried but forced himself to smile so Kai wouldn't suspect anything.

"Let's go in together." Kai went to walk by Kyungsoo's side and squeezed his wrist supportively.

The boys made their way to the brown wooden door and Kyungsoo knocked then stepped back.

The door flung open less than a second later. A young looking woman appeared from behind the door. It was Kyungsoo's mom. She had dark circles and bags under her eyes and her hair was a bit messy. Her eyes widened when she saw Kyungsoo.

Her eyes immediately filled with tears and she jumped forward to envelop Kyungsoo in a tight hug.

Kyungsoo squeezed her back and buried his head in her hair. In the middle of their hug a boy appeared from upstairs.

 "Hyung!"
 He ran to Kyungsoo and wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo and his mother. When his mom began to speak Kyungsoo and the other boy detached themselves from her.
 "Kai? What are you doing here?" She questioned, her face still streaked with tears.
 "I'm here with Kyungsoo to pick up some of his stuff. Chanyeol," Kai said, pointing an accusing finger at the boy, "what are you doing here?" Kai seemed to realized something. "Are you and Kyungsoo brothers?"

 "Yeah, I'm his brother." Chanyeol said scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.
 "He's been living with me ever since, uhm, you know..."
 "Don't tell me it was you who was with Kyungsoo in the bathroom?"
 "Yeah it was me. The thing is that that damn boy who ran his mouth was only telling you all lies. Nothing happened between me and Kyungsoo. We were only changing for P.E." Kai explained to Chanyeol and his mother.
 "Kai there's no use talking about that now. What's done is done. Let's go to my room to pick up the stuff I needed to get." Kyungsoo said, walking past everyone and going upstairs.

The house was  nice and clean; it was a nice, spacious house. Kyungsoo showed Kai the way to his room.

The room was also really clean. The walls were a light-ish blue with posters decorating them. There were piles of books on his desk and computer desk.

Kyungsoo rummaged through his drawers and closet, pulling things out and packing them into several of his bags that were on the floor. He was in the middle of pulling shirts from their hangers when Kai spoke next.

"Your room is really cool Kyungsoo. I like simple things."

"Thank you." Kyungsoo zipped up each bag and swung the smallest of the group over his shoulders. "We have to go now. I'm all done."

Kyungsoo tried to carry all of the bags himself, but he ended up dropping all of them except the one that was on his back. Kai hurried and helped him. Kai held three bags and Kyungsoo held two. They carried the bags down to the hall and saw that Kyungsoo's mom and Chanyeol were still waiting at the door as they had been before Kyungsoo went upstairs.

Chanyeol offered to take one of the bags that Kai was holding and Kai gratefully passed the biggest of the three over to him.

"Kyungsoo, you can put all of your bags in my car. I'll give you and Kai a ride to his house. It's the least I can do after everything that's happened." Kyungsoo's mom said, placing her hand gently on his shoulder.

After the bags were all packed into the trunk of the car the boys stood in silence. Eventually Chanyeol slid into the back seat and Kyungsoo into the passenger seat.

Before Kai could join the other two boys in the car, Kyungsoo's mother grabbed his arm and dragged him away from Kyungsoo and Chanyeol.

"I wanted to thank you for everything you've done for my son. It means a lot and he's lucky to have a friend like you." Kyungsoo's mom seemed to want to say more so Kai smiled to encourage her. "About the whole situation with Baekhyun, I know that it was a misunderstanding." She looked sad and rubbed her arms as if she was cold.

"No problem ma'am. Thank you for understanding. I'll take good care of Kyungsoo, I promise. We live happily together and he's a good person. You don't have to worry about him."

"It' my job as his mom to worry about him always," Kyungsoo's mother smiled sadly, "just make sure he's okay."

She seemed like it really upset her to let go of her son. She took his hand in hers and thanked him again.

"Kyungsoo gets money sent here every month. Instead, I'll have them be sent to your house instead. If there's anything I can do for you guys, please let me know."

Kai nodded and thanked her.

They walked back to the car together and Kai slid into the back seat next to Chanyeol. He complained that they took long. The drive to Kai's house was peaceful, they talked of school and grades and other things. When they got to his house Kyungsoo leaned over to kiss his mom on the cheek. She smiled and ruffled Kyungsoo's hair before he got out. Chanyeol and Kai helped Kyungsoo grab all of his bags and bring them inside. While Chanyeol and his mom drove away, Kai and Kyungsoo waved their hands until the car was out of sight. They went into the house and Kai helped Kyungsoo unpack everything.

"Kai... I just wanted to say thank you for everything."

Kai walked to Kyungsoo and back-hugged him.

"D.O, thank you for staying here with me." They both blushed and continued unpacking "Oh! By the way Kyungsoo, do you know about Chanyeol and Baekhyun?" Kai asked as he folded Kyungsoo's shirt and piled them neatly.

Kyungsoo turned his head, confused. 

"What about them?"

"Well, Baekhyun kind of has a crush on your brother... and your brother kind of him back, but neither of them know how the other feels." Kai looked down at the clothes he was folding and felt a bit of doubt creeping over him. He didn't know whether it was something he should be telling Kyungsoo or not.

"Kai, are you close with Chanyeol?"

"Well we're friends but we're not too close. We talk a lot and hang out though. Why?"

Kyungsoo was now sure that what he thought was the right answer to this situation. It seemed  that the information in Kai's head had just clicked together to show the bigger picture.

He snapped his head up and he looked at Kyungsoo. His eyes began to tear up as soon as he remembered how Kyungsoo's pretty face looked like with bruises on his lips and around his eyes.

He really hated himself so much right now.

"Kyungsoo." Kai said as a tear slid down his cheek. He stared down at his hands and gripped onto the shirt they held tightly.

"I am so sorry. I had no idea that Baekhyun would get so jealous." Kai said.

"Kai it's not your fault. I just figured everything out right now too."

"He must have really liked your brother to do something like that. D.O I'm such a bad person. I just randomly came into your life and ruined it!" Kyungsoo was frightened at the intensity of Kai's voice. It was full of anger and sadness and frustration.

Kyungsoo got closer to Kai and grabbed the back of his neck. They both looked at each other, their eyes teary. Kyungsoo pulled Kai's head so it rested on his chest.

"Kai there's nothing wrong with me taking your punishment once, or even twice."

"Why not?"

"Because you've done so many good things for me. It's true that you came into my life out of nowhere and that you changed it, but not in a bad way."

Kai stopped sobbing. He lifted his face from Kyungsoo's chest and smiled softly.

"C'mon let's go find something to eat!" Kyungsoo said in an attempt to lighten Kai's mood. Kai's smile grew.

"Okay."