K-Drama: Innocent Man

Asian Recommendations

fullsizephoto467894.jpg

Innocent Man
Broadcast Station: KBS
Starring:
Song Joongki
Moon Chaewon
Park Siyeon

Status: Completed
Genre: Drama, romance, melodrama
Episodes: 20

Rating:
★★★★

 

Recommended if you:

- like melodramas that are slightly dark/dramatic
- are okay with the whole revenge/betrayal genre; I personally am not a fan of vengeful dark dramas, but I was okay with it, personally
- want some good acting
- like intense drama: plot twists, korean drama style taken up a notch, I mean
- is a fan of running man b/c both song joongki and lee kwangsoo are big in it :)

When I first found this drama, I was a bit late. People were already talking about the awards the drama got, I got curious as to just what 'Innocent man' was to be so popular.
And then I saw that it had Song Joongki, and I was all like, Ohhhh. And then I saw Moon Chaewon and Lee Kwangsoo too, and I was all like OOOHH.
And then I saw what it was ABOUT, and I was like
WAIT.
WAT.
Melodrama.
Dark.
Song Joongki's character.
And what happens to him.
Just..... how....

I got super curious.
So I started watching it.
And I was pretty taken back.



Acting: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 8/10
Flow: 9/10
Response and Popularity: 10/10


First of all, this drama was Song Joongki's breaking point. I never knew he was a legit actor who could really act, so 'Innocent Man' just blew my mind away because such a adorable guy like him suddenly became a perfectly absorbed 'Kang Maru' and the darkly scarred character he was.
As for Moon Chaewon, I found her acting pretty good as well, mainly because, like before, I had doubted her at first. She fit well with the entire drama, and nothing about her was painful to look at at all.

This drama had pretty intense plot, and there were so many misfortunate events that put me on the edge. The basic plot revolves around the world's perfect boyfriend 'Kang Maru' who experiences a horrible betrayal from his love (Park Siyeon), which brings the downfall of his unbelievably innocent character and instead brings forth a dark, emotionless and scarred man. Song Joongki goes through a lot of really bad things, and his acting just brings the viewers to get all emotional over his scarred life. But then as both new and old people come back into his life, things start to twist and turn with conflicting emotions and goals. And thus starts Kang Maru's revenge that ends up being a lot different from what anyone expected.

So aside from all the intense drama and all, the romance that pushed the plot through the twists and turns make your heart clench up. Moon Chaewon's character and her relationship with Maru throughout the story just.... it's so sad and happy and cute and horrible all at the same time.

Feels.
So many feels.

I personally found the two's relationship to be pretty cute and lovable, and it was nice to see their development throughout the series... especially in Kang Maru's side. I continued to watch the drama for this lovable couple and my curiosity for what would happen to the plot (like Park Siyeon's character. I was always wondering what would happen to her)

I also have a few warnings for you guys who decide to watch this drama.

First of all, IT'S OKAY. YOU CAN DO IT. THEY'RE JUST FICTIONAL CHARACTERS. HOLD THE ANGER IN. (please don't be like me)
And also, keep patience in mind. Things will get better, and just like all others, the intense korean drama style will be able to fold up neatly towards the end... although I, in my own opinion, couldn't find 100% satisfaction because I was too greedy and I just loved the couple too much.

So, all in all, 'Innocent Man' is one of those 'you gotta watch this one' in the kdrama world and one of the 'must-watch' ones among melodramas.
I encourage you to try it, since you might change your preferences any time or be one of those people who can adapt well to dramas like me. It's also great in that you can take a look at the work of Song Joongki's breaking point in his career.

Oh, and of course, if you like Song Joongki, you are bound to the metal chain that enforces on you the duty to watch 'Innocent Man'.