Manga: Hirunaka no Ryuusei

Asian Recommendations

cover.jpg?v=1415321222
Hirunaka no Ryuusei
(by Yamamori Mika)
Status: Completed
Genre: Shoujo, Romance, Comedy, School Life, Slice of Life

Chapters: 78
Rating:
★★★★★
* highly recommend! *

Link:
http://www.mangahere.co/manga/hirunaka_no_ryuusei/

Recommended if you:
- enjoy better quality art
- prefer eye candy :)
- like comedy
- like schoollife
- is strong enough to endure the whole 'who will get the girl' thing because that broke a whole lot of people already (including me)
- prefer comical+less feminine lead girls
- enjoy twists
- are okay with teacher-student relationships
- would like a less cliche-er series for once

 

A summary:

The story revolves around the 15-year old female protagonist of the story: Suzume Yosano. Suzume's character gives us something to open our eyes to. She's rather unfeminine, having a straightforward and naturally oblivious personality unlike the sensitive and weak types of girls we see so often. She doesn't care too much about what others think of her, and she also has a huge appetitie--it's pretty refreshing to look at. The story begins when Suzume, a country girl, moves to the Tokyo to stay with her uncle because of her father's job. She meets a whole lot of new people, one of them being her uncle's friend who also happens to be her homeroom teacher: Satsuki Shishio. Many things happen in her new school as she forms friendships (a majority of them being eccentric) with her classmates and feels different kinds of feelings for the first time in her life.

Okay,

So I usually find things with even the tiniest bit of cliche-ness as VERY BAD, so I when I first started this manga, I judged everything about the whole teacher-student plot in a pretty harsh way which led me to drop it.
At first.
After going through the media sites and surfing the web for a while, I came to realize that a LOT of people liked the manga for some reason. Everywhere I looked, HnR had the most buzz, especially with the whole unpredictable 'who's gonna win the girl' thing.

So I decided to start reading it again out of curiosity.

It turned out, the manga was drawn out in a really unique way that nobody would be able to describe in words: It's just different, and it keeps on getting better and better. The art is by the far the most beautiful I've ever seen for a manga that focuses on its storyline so strongly, and every chapter gave us the right amount of feels or laughter in a refreshing sort of way. And when I say feels, I mean AHAHAA plus heart-break plus DAWWWW plus WHY MAMURA plus ohmygodthatjustwentagainsteverythinginhumanityitself.

Believe me it's refreshing.

One thing I really like about the manga are the side characters and their own stories. Some have great character development and it's so cute to see other couples forming from time to time to release all the dramatic tension that main couples give at times.
But the best thing about HnR is of course the characters themselves.
Starting from Suzume to Yuyuka to Mamura (<3), everyone has such different and fun characters that just strike you in the heart everytime. Everyone's twists and twerks are what makes the manga so fun to read, and they spice up the story to a whole nother level.


Now, the arguably worst thing about this manga is none else than THAT.
The whole Shipping Wars.
As in Team Shishio vs. Team Mamura.
Believe it or not, Suzume DOES end up with only ONE person, and that person is lovingly supported by some while the rest prefer the other guy: It's inevitable. I mean, look at Naruto.

So I guess my biggest advice to new readers out there is to avoid reading any comments in any manga site because those stuff are taboo, and the sites tumblr and wikipedia and facebook are officially banned until you get to the end.

Because HnR has already been completed a long time ago and spoilers cover 99% of this Earth.

But anyways I just want to say that HnR is one of my favorite manga series and that I think Mamura Daiki is the hottest non-existing guy I've ever seen.
He will always be.
You know what. If not anything else, just read it for him.

 

Feel free to ask questions :)