Chapter 2

Endlessly

 

 

Baekhyun was waiting in front of the school.

Waiting for his best friend to finally appear. Even though it was still late August it was rather cold on this misty morning. The perfect weather for a bad mood.

 

Kyungsoo and him used to walk to school together but this morning Baekhyun received a text message saying that his friend had stayed at his boyfriend's place over night so they couldn't go together.

 

Stupid Kyungsoo and even more stupid Jongin.

 

While waiting for the couple to arrive Baekhyun constantly looked at his phone, more for the fact that he was bored and alone though than for checking his phone for a new text message. However, his phone suddenly vibrated.

 

A smile appeared on Baekhyun's lips when he saw a text from the “stupid giant”.

 

'Hyung! Turn around!'

 

The brunette was confused at first but turned around quickly to see Chanyeol with his usual wide smile on his face behind him. “Good morning, hyung!”

 

Trying not to smile back he looked at the giant. “Good morning, Chanyeol.”

 

What are you doing?”
 

Waiting.”

 

But I'm already here.”, Chanyeol said, making a V sign with his left hand.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “I'm not waiting for you, idiot.”

 

The giant laughed. “What a shame. Are you waiting for Soo?”

 

Mhm.”

 

 

Right in that moment the two men heard a familiar voice. “Baek! Sorry you had to wait so long, there was a traffic jam and the bus kinda got stuck. But I'm glad that you didn't have to wait alone.”

 

When Baekhyun turned around to face his best friend he saw him being backhugged by Jongin. Both of them looked happy, you could literally see the tension between them and even Baekhyun had to admit that they looked really cute in that moment. However, he decided that it was gross. Yes, it was gross, disgusting, unnecessary.

 

He also decided that it would look better if someone tall backhugged him.

 

Uhm, yeah... let's go inside then.” The four of them made their way to the entrance of the school but before going to his own classroom with his two classmates, Kyungsoo had to say goodbye to his boyfriend. Same procedure than the day before. Since Baekhyun didn't necessarily wanted to witness their exchange of saliva, he went to the classroom first with Chanyeol being right next to him.

 

 

After some seconds of saying nothing to each other, Chanyeol started to find the silence between them being awkward. “Seems like they are really in love, huh? I'm so jealous.” Slowly, Baekhyun nodded his head, didn't say a word though. “Hey, Baek. He is still your best friend. You won't lose him.”

 

What do you even know?”

 

I know that you seem to be really sad every time you see Kyungsoo and Jongin being together.” Baekhyun sighed. “It's just... We are friends since kindergarten and it has never been like this. Every time one of us was in a relationship nothing has changed between our friendship. But since he has met Jongin everything changed.”

 

Why did he tell Chanyeol that? He felt the urge to slap himself in the face. Opening up to other people except for Kyungsoo and Yixing had always been so hard for him but now he told something like this to someone he had known for one day. Chanyeol must have thought that Baekhyun was really childish.

 

 

The giant placed his hands on Baekhyun's waist who winced out of surprise.

 

Don't touch me.

 

Chanyeol's hands pulled the smaller's body a bit closer to himself. “Don't worry too much, Baek. You've got me now.” Shaking his head, Baekhyun bursted out into a laughter. He didn't know why he had to laugh so much, he wasn't even exactly laughing at Chanyeol, he just laughed. “Shut up, idiot. And our classroom is this one.” He pointed at the door in front of him – still laughing – as Chanyeol was about to go to the classroom next to theirs. Grinning in embarrassment, the giant opened the right door for them. “I knew that – I only wanted to test you...”

 

Sure.”

 

 

The two entered the classroom where they were greeted by some of their classmates, including Yixing, and where they finally took place on their chairs.

 

Still having a smile on his face, Baekhyun looked out of the window. He was lost in his thoughts so he didn't realize Kyungsoo who came into the room a few moments later. Moreover, he didn't even notice the teacher coming in and starting the lesson until she called his name while checking the attendance of the students. It was kind of shocking to hear his name all of the sudden but at least he wasn't stuck in his own world anymore.

 

When he looked over to Yixing, he saw him looking at him giggling.

 

Why was Yixing giggling?

 

Did he make fun of him? Probably.

 

 

 

~

 

At lunchtime the clique left their classroom and Baekhyun felt a hand on his shoulder. Chanyeol's hand. “Hey, Baek”, he whispered in the smaller's ear. “Can we talk in the library? Alone?”

 

Baekhyun had no idea why Chanyeol wanted to be alone with him. And seeing Kyungsoo and Yixing smiling without saying anything made him feel uncomfortable.

 

Uhm.”

 

It isn't something bad. I swear.”

 

O-okay. But let me eat something first, I'm really hungry.” Baekhyun's empty stomach growled right in that moment.

 

I have enough sandwiches for both of us and a few chocolate bars so come on.” Chanyeol took Baekhyun's hand and dragged him with him after saying “See you later” to the other two.

 

Embarrassed, Baekhyun pulled his hand away from Chanyeol. “Walk slower, idiot, my legs aren't as tall as yours!” The giant slowed down immediately. “Sorry.”

 

Chanyeol seemed to be in a hurry and this fact confused Baekhyun even more. What was his intention? What did he want to tell him and why would he want to be alone with him in the library? Was he a ert? Baekhyun's mind was full of questions he wanted to be answered as soon as possible.

 

When they arrived in the library, the two sat down at one of the tables and Chanyeol took out some sandwiches. “Let's eat first.” With a smile he handed one of the sandwiches over to Baekhyun.

 

Peanut butter and jam. “This is my favorite, how did you know?”

 

I had the feeling you'd like it I guess.”, the giant answered.

 

Thankful, Baekhyun grabbed the sandwich and took his first bite.

The sandwich tasted amazing. It was the perfect amount of peanut butter mixed with a perfect amount of jam. Baekhyun had to admit that he was impressed. He finished his food within a few minutes and stared longingly at the other sandwiches in front of Chanyeol who seemed to notice his stares. “Want another one?” Baekhyun nodded and received another one of these perfect sandwiches. “Thanks.”

 

I should make sandwiches for you everyday, huh? You seem to really love them.” The taller sounded proud of himself. “You eat them as if you fear someone would try to steal it from you.”

 

They are amazing. But...”, Baekhyun began to say while chewing his last bite. “Why did you want to meet me alone in the library?”

 

Well,” Chanyeol took a deep breath. “You always look so sad and I thought that maybe... maybe talking to me about everything would make you feel better...”

 

Baekhyun almost choked on his own saliva. Never had someone he barely know really cared for him or even his feelings.

 

You don't have to talk about it though. I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you.” The taller looked concerned at Baekhyun, forcing himself to smile.

 

I don't know what I should talk with you about to be very honest...”, the brunette answered quietly. “There aren't any great problems, you know...”

 

But something seems to bother you.”

 

I've already told you about Kyungsoo and me.”

 

Do you love Kyungsoo?”

 

Baekhyun widened his eyes. He wasn't sure if he should burst out into a laughter or slap that stupid Chanyeol in the face. “Chanyeol, what the ? He's my best friend.”

 

You can fall in love with your best friend, too.”

 

Why do you even care? I say this one last time. Kyungsoo is only my best friend, I'm not in love him nor am I in love with Jongin, Yixing or your mother. God dammit.”

 

And he wasn't even lying about that. Although he spent most of his time with Kyungsoo, enjoyed every second with his best best and knew pretty much everything about him he never felt more for Kyungsoo. He was too much of a second brother for Baekhyun.

 

A smile appeared on Chanyeol's face. “My mother would be sad if he heard about it, Baek.”

 

Baekhyun smiled slightly and hit Chanyeol softly. “Shut up, idiot.”

 

An awkward silence lingered between the two of them for a few seconds. A few seconds that felt like an eternity.

 

You make me feel uncomfortable when you're not talking.” Baekhyun finally broke the silence.

 

You told me to shut up.”

 

Don't listen to me then.” Baekhyun laughed.

 

While he was laughing he realized that he hadn't laughed as much in such a short period of time as he had on this day for a really long time – and he realized that Chanyeol was to be blamed for that. Though he still thought that Chanyeol was an idiot he had to admit that he was a really good friend and that he felt very comfortable around him.

 

Maybe this was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

 

The brunette cleared his throat and scratched his head. “Chanyeol?” His voice was quiet, hard to hear.

 

Hm?”

 

Thank you.”

 

It's nothing, hyung. That's what friends are for, aren't they?”

 

Friends... yes... I guess so. Thanks anyway.”

 

Normally, Baekhyun refused being friends with someone he knew for only one day.

Normally, he didn't feel the urge to be friends with someone other than Kyungsoo and Yixing.

Normally, he hated opening up to others.

 

However, Chanyeol was a different case. Although Baekhyun refused to call him a friend in the beginning, didn't want to be friends with him as well and opening up to him seemed to be one of his biggest mistakes he had ever made he started to really like the thought of being friends with that tall idiot.

 

Not to forget the perfect sandwiches he had made.

 

Let's meet in the library during lunch more often, hyung! I bring sandwiches!”

 

Baekhyun smiled again. “Deal.”

 

I like seeing you smile.”

 

Hearing something like that from another guy made Baekhyun feel slightly uncomfortable. Even though he had had relationships with other boys before he was still very awkward when it came to compliments like that from people of the same gender. He never got any compliments from Kyungsoo or Yixing, especially not for his smile. The situation got even more awkward when Baekhyun felt his face adapting the color of a tomato.

 

He tried to hide his face but the laugh of the giant told him that he failed. .

 

Don't laugh, you rascal!”

 

Chanyeol laughed even more. “Sorry, Baek, but you're so cute when you're embarrassed.”

 

Stop that already!”

 

The giant needed a moment to finally stop laughing, he was still smiling at his friend though.

 

 

All of the sudden Chanyeol asked another question. “Baekhyun? Do you believe in soulmates?”