Chapter 2 - Mysterious

A Thousand Tales - A Collection of One Shots and Short Stories

 

“It’s about time you started to look for a suitable husband. It’s been five years and you’re eighteen now. That’s not a young age to be for a princess. Do you think any prince would want to be stuck with an old maid?” My mother was nagging me and I shrugged.

               My mother was disappointed because according to her, I had grown to be a beautiful lady and if I had been married, my husband would definitely be lucky. She was always worrying about my marriage and I no longer cared. I used to have dreams about him. He was always pranking me but for some reason, I didn’t mind then.

               “We’re going to be having a masquerade ball and we’re going to invite all the princes. This time you will leave with a husband or I will personally choose one for you.” She was adamant about this and the decision was made. It didn’t matter to me anyway. I didn’t care who I married.

               My mother dressed me in a floor length, hip hugging gown that opened in the front and revealed a lot more than I would normally rather. She gave me a gold crusted mask and held it over my eyes. “Perfect. It looks beautiful and you look mysterious. Just exactly what a princess should look like. Don’t roll your eyes. It only ruins the effect.”

               I sighed and tried to keep still, all the while wondering what my life would be like had that fateful day not happened and I was still engaged. It took me a long time to finally figure this out, but I realized that I really liked Eunhyuk, regardless of all the pranks he pulled on me.

               Once more, I walked down the same staircase to meet a similar fate. There were people already dancing, all of their faces hidden by masks. A tall man came up to me and asked me to dance. I took his hand halfheartedly and allowed him to twirl me around.

               When the song ended, I was accosted by yet another suitor. The night went on slowly with all the princes eventually coming up to me and asking me to dance. I had to judge by their skills and voice to know who they were.

               I’ve grown up with them all my life; it wasn’t difficult to know who the awkward ones were and who the ones I sought so desperately to avoid were. I nodded at them and made small talk, but nobody caught my heart.

               A few foreign princes came because I didn’t recognize their accents and the attempts by  some of them to disguise their voices were pitiful. As if there could be any way that I did not know who they were.

               The night was almost over when a figure in a dark cape walked over. He was tall, taller than most of the other princes. His bow was slightly crooked, as if he had been hurt. When he spoke, his voice was husky and I shivered. There was something different about him. His cloak had a hood that covered his head and he had a mask that was plain white. He held himself like a prince, however.

               I took his hand and a spark ran up my arm. He smiled briefly and I almost recognized it. His dancing was fluid and I felt myself float. When the bell tolled midnight and signaling the end of the party, I was almost reluctant to let go.

               “What’s your name?” I had to ask.

               “Meet me by your balcony tonight” was the only answer I received before he left, swishing his black cape around him.